Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread 18:11 - Jun 18 with 13022 viewsbluey_the_blue

Runners and riders...

Boris Johnson - 126
Jeremy Hunt — 46
Michael Gove — 41
Dominic Raab — 30
Sajid Javid — 33
Rory Stewart — 37

Definite tactical voting went on there; Raab out which is to surprise to anyone.
Stewart's still in there, not made any major gain though with all still to play for.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2019 18:17]
*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 22:03 - Jun 18 with 1776 viewslonglostjack

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 21:20 - Jun 18 by bluey_the_blue

Well, the argument against Stewart is his only real plan for Brexit is to get May's deal through.

Tax cuts don't always result in less taxation, indeed low corporation tax tends to lead to more tax being paid. It's not as simplistic as "higher tax = more revenue".

The problem is large corporations that pay hardly any tax you plum. Tax them on their operating profits. It’ll put a few tax accountants out of work but who cares? Or do you think it’s right that Amazon ended up paying less than 2.5% in tax on record profits of £ 72m last year?

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 22:12 - Jun 18 with 1739 viewsKilkennyjack

Is Rory an MI6 spy who has the job of ending Brexit...?

I do fecking hope so ... 😂

Beware of the Risen People

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 22:22 - Jun 18 with 1707 viewsHumpty

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 22:12 - Jun 18 by Kilkennyjack

Is Rory an MI6 spy who has the job of ending Brexit...?

I do fecking hope so ... 😂

I liked this response:

"It's much more likely that you are just f*cking bonkers."
*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 22:38 - Jun 18 with 1663 viewsKilkennyjack

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 22:22 - Jun 18 by Humpty

I liked this response:

😂😂

Beware of the Risen People

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 23:13 - Jun 18 with 1624 viewsWarwickHunt

Hezza on Newsnight just spoke more sense in 60 seconds than all of them combined in an hour.

I never thought I’d say this but take a bow, YJB!

Lovely hair too.
*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 23:33 - Jun 18 with 1596 viewslondonlisa2001

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 23:13 - Jun 18 by WarwickHunt

Hezza on Newsnight just spoke more sense in 60 seconds than all of them combined in an hour.

I never thought I’d say this but take a bow, YJB!

Lovely hair too.

Camilla Cavendish as well on the subject of immigration.

‘These guys know that we’ll have to offer visas to get a trade deal and they’re not telling anyone that’.

What an awful debate though.

Format was poor. And the candidates are substandard beyond belief. They’re just sitting there lying (actually to be fair, Stewart does so rather less than the others).
*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 07:10 - Jun 19 with 1488 viewswaynekerr55

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 22:22 - Jun 18 by Humpty

I liked this response:

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 08:04 - Jun 19 with 1446 viewsWarwickHunt

John Crace -

“The five men were all sitting on stools, as if they were an ageing boyband performing a one-off reunion gig. Take Twàt”.

Login to get fewer ads

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 08:18 - Jun 19 with 1441 viewsbluey_the_blue

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 22:03 - Jun 18 by longlostjack

The problem is large corporations that pay hardly any tax you plum. Tax them on their operating profits. It’ll put a few tax accountants out of work but who cares? Or do you think it’s right that Amazon ended up paying less than 2.5% in tax on record profits of £ 72m last year?

Lower corporation tax rates have led to higher corporation tax revenue. Push rates high,revenues fall as people look to avoid aggressively.
*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 08:22 - Jun 19 with 1435 viewsbluey_the_blue

It seems the questioner Abdullah, a primary school teacher from Bristol has now deleted his twitter account after it was found to contain anti-semitic tweets - along with plenty of praise for Corbyn. Nice to see BBC checking of people continues to be top notch.
*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 08:35 - Jun 19 with 1419 viewsHighjack

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 08:04 - Jun 19 by WarwickHunt

John Crace -

“The five men were all sitting on stools, as if they were an ageing boyband performing a one-off reunion gig. Take Twàt”.

He should know it was Westlife who used the stools. Bloody philistine.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 09:41 - Jun 19 with 1377 viewscontroversial_jack

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 08:18 - Jun 19 by bluey_the_blue

Lower corporation tax rates have led to higher corporation tax revenue. Push rates high,revenues fall as people look to avoid aggressively.

No it hasn't, the opposite actually
*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 09:46 - Jun 19 with 1371 viewsbluey_the_blue

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 09:41 - Jun 19 by controversial_jack

No it hasn't, the opposite actually

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39869118

https://www.dailysignal.com/2018/05/14/ireland-lower-its-corporate-tax-rate-here
*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 09:56 - Jun 19 with 1344 viewscontroversial_jack

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 09:46 - Jun 19 by bluey_the_blue

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39869118

https://www.dailysignal.com/2018/05/14/ireland-lower-its-corporate-tax-rate-here

Everything I have read suggests the opposite, and there's no evidence anywhere that tax cuts alone create prosperity or more jobs, this is particularly true of income tax.A countries economy is a very complex affair, there are no easy fixes or everyone would be following the same path
*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 10:16 - Jun 19 with 1333 viewsNookiejack

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 09:56 - Jun 19 by controversial_jack

Everything I have read suggests the opposite, and there's no evidence anywhere that tax cuts alone create prosperity or more jobs, this is particularly true of income tax.A countries economy is a very complex affair, there are no easy fixes or everyone would be following the same path

It's always a balance - between incentives to motivate people and social responsibility.

When you look at income tax rates you also need to add national insurance contributions. One then also has to think about effects over the next few years of students with say £60k of student loans who if they exceed a certain threshold of income - will be paying additional 9% tax.

Given I understand 50% of young people are going to University now - this is going to have an increasing impact on the economy in respect of disposable income.

Even at the top end for example if you earn between £100,000 and circa £120,000 your effective tax rate is already 60% because you lose your personal allowance - but then say add 2% for National insurance and then say 9% for student loanns (as respective students come through) likely to be paying 71% tax.

Not much incentive then for people to take leadership positions with stress and strains that this involved. Unless you are in ii for power not income for your family.

We probably don't want to tax people even more - we seem to be taxed significantly already.
*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 10:46 - Jun 19 with 1298 viewssherpajacob

John Crace -

No Direction

Back Stab Boys.

Brother beyond belief.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 10:59 - Jun 19 with 1278 viewscostalotta

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 10:16 - Jun 19 by Nookiejack

It's always a balance - between incentives to motivate people and social responsibility.

When you look at income tax rates you also need to add national insurance contributions. One then also has to think about effects over the next few years of students with say £60k of student loans who if they exceed a certain threshold of income - will be paying additional 9% tax.

Given I understand 50% of young people are going to University now - this is going to have an increasing impact on the economy in respect of disposable income.

Even at the top end for example if you earn between £100,000 and circa £120,000 your effective tax rate is already 60% because you lose your personal allowance - but then say add 2% for National insurance and then say 9% for student loanns (as respective students come through) likely to be paying 71% tax.

Not much incentive then for people to take leadership positions with stress and strains that this involved. Unless you are in ii for power not income for your family.

We probably don't want to tax people even more - we seem to be taxed significantly already.

Which one are you talking about? Tax, Debt or disposable income? The 9% tax is debt repayment you nutter!

Not saying taxes should be increased or lowered. If anything Gove had good idea with VAT. No business to business to VAT. Makes business more competitive, which we will need for sure if no deal happens.

A very good friend of mine earns just under 120k so i called him just now and asked his take home. reckons he its about 80k ish. So he's taxed about 34% .

71% Lol.
*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 11:39 - Jun 19 with 1247 viewsbluey_the_blue

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 08:22 - Jun 19 by bluey_the_blue

It seems the questioner Abdullah, a primary school teacher from Bristol has now deleted his twitter account after it was found to contain anti-semitic tweets - along with plenty of praise for Corbyn. Nice to see BBC checking of people continues to be top notch.

Now suspended from his job - rightly so given his views.

Turns out he's backed Labour. AS did the final questioner who also worked for Labour in their compaints department.

Add in the lousy format last night, I;d say BBC can forget hosting the final runoff debate.
*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 11:39 - Jun 19 with 1247 viewsDarran

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 10:59 - Jun 19 by costalotta

Which one are you talking about? Tax, Debt or disposable income? The 9% tax is debt repayment you nutter!

Not saying taxes should be increased or lowered. If anything Gove had good idea with VAT. No business to business to VAT. Makes business more competitive, which we will need for sure if no deal happens.

A very good friend of mine earns just under 120k so i called him just now and asked his take home. reckons he its about 80k ish. So he's taxed about 34% .

71% Lol.

lol

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7157497/Iman-attacked-Boris-saying-word

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 11:43 - Jun 19 with 1243 viewsHighjack

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 11:39 - Jun 19 by Darran

lol

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7157497/Iman-attacked-Boris-saying-word

“It takes two to tango” is never a good phrase to use when talking about rape.

What an idiot.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 11:45 - Jun 19 with 1240 viewsbluey_the_blue

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 11:43 - Jun 19 by Highjack

“It takes two to tango” is never a good phrase to use when talking about rape.

What an idiot.

Given the school was labelled inadequate on inspection, it makes you wonder what the fvck is going on when someone like him is a deputy head.

His rape comment stated that men are predators, woman's fault for being alone with a man! I must have missed the memo, I must be a crap predator having never raped in my life.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2019 11:46]
*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 11:51 - Jun 19 with 1235 viewsBatterseajack

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 10:16 - Jun 19 by Nookiejack

You need to check your numbers again mate

Gross Income £100,000.00
Taxable Income £87,500.00
Tax £27,500.00
National Insurance £5,964.16
Student Loan £7,295.85
Yearly Take Home £59,239.99

So 33.46% tax (no student loan)
and 40.7% tax if repaying a student loan (although this is settling a debt rather than a tax)

https://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php

On your wider point, no one at say £90k a year is going to say no to a £120k salary because of current tax rates
[Post edited 19 Jun 2019 12:02]
*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 11:53 - Jun 19 with 1229 viewsDarran

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 11:45 - Jun 19 by bluey_the_blue

Given the school was labelled inadequate on inspection, it makes you wonder what the fvck is going on when someone like him is a deputy head.

His rape comment stated that men are predators, woman's fault for being alone with a man! I must have missed the memo, I must be a crap predator having never raped in my life.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2019 11:46]

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 11:56 - Jun 19 with 1225 viewsBatterseajack

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 11:53 - Jun 19 by Darran

What an utter scumbag. He must be somewhat aware he was a scumbag because he deactivated his toxic twitter feed so he could get on yesterdays debate without the BBC vetting him out.
*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 13:07 - Jun 19 with 1187 viewsmonmouth

John Crace -

The whole article is a work of genius

“Could you just tell me whether my husband will be OK?” pleaded Carmela from Southampton. “Your husband is toast,” snapped Gove. “He can piss off and die. Now stop talking while I’m interrupting.”

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024