Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread 18:11 - Jun 18 with 12565 viewsbluey_the_blue

Runners and riders...

Boris Johnson - 126
Jeremy Hunt — 46
Michael Gove — 41
Dominic Raab — 30
Sajid Javid — 33
Rory Stewart — 37

Definite tactical voting went on there; Raab out which is to surprise to anyone.
Stewart's still in there, not made any major gain though with all still to play for.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2019 18:17]
*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 16:55 - Jun 19 with 977 viewsHumpty

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 16:45 - Jun 19 by Highjack

His comments about the niqab were fine. They do look ridiculous.

He’s made far worse comments in the past about watermelon smiles etc, and the arranging to get a journalist beaten up should automatically get him barred from public office.

His comments about the niqab weren't fine. They were just gratuitous insults.

The general point of his article was acceptable. I'd even agree with it. I don't like the niqab myself but I don't think the law should be used to ban women for wearing what they want to wear. But the bankrobber and letterbox quips were just purely uncalled for insults designed to please racists under the guise of "straight talking".

And why write the article at that time? It wasn't topical, there was nothing in the news about the niqab at that time. So why then?

I doubt it's a coincidence that Steve Bannon had come over for meetings with Boris that week. A man who built a whole election campaign around insulting minorities.

Grubby devisive tactics to please grubby devisive voters.
*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 18:01 - Jun 19 with 931 viewsHighjack

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 16:55 - Jun 19 by Humpty

The general point of his article was acceptable. I'd even agree with it. I don't like the niqab myself but I don't think the law should be used to ban women for wearing what they want to wear. But the bankrobber and letterbox quips were just purely uncalled for insults designed to please racists under the guise of "straight talking".

And why write the article at that time? It wasn't topical, there was nothing in the news about the niqab at that time. So why then?

I doubt it's a coincidence that Steve Bannon had come over for meetings with Boris that week. A man who built a whole election campaign around insulting minorities.

Yes I’d agree it’s unnecessarily nasty, and he’s a bit of a dick.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 18:08 - Jun 19 with 924 viewssherpajacob

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 15:02 - Jun 19 by bluey_the_blue

The issue is more that the backgrounds of both dodgy questioners weren't vetted correctly or deemed relevant to the BBC.

The motivation behind that question is the key thing. The Imam hypocritically raised it for no reason other than it's a Corbynista mantra - "our anti-semitism? Well, errm, uhhh... hey! Look at the Tories! They are Islamophobic!". Any instances of Islamophobia are of course disgusting as are instances of anti-semitism, any other racism.

Both the two dodgy questioners have been suspended from their jobs. Quite right too.

Says the person who brings up anti semitism more than the rest of planet swans put together. Yet barely mentions islamaphobia at all.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread (n/t) on 18:09 - Jun 19 with 920 viewsbluey_the_blue

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 18:08 - Jun 19 by sherpajacob

Says the person who brings up anti semitism more than the rest of planet swans put together. Yet barely mentions islamaphobia at all.

[Post edited 19 Jun 2019 18:10]
*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 18:12 - Jun 19 with 910 viewsBrynCartwright

Rory out of the race, and it's official....The Tories are dead. Well done David Cameron on fecking things up royally.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 18:18 - Jun 19 with 899 viewssherpajacob

Save everybody a lot of time and trouble.

Get Michel Barnier to moderate the next debate.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 18:19 - Jun 19 with 891 viewslondonlisa2001

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 16:45 - Jun 19 by Highjack

His comments about the niqab were fine. They do look ridiculous.

He’s made far worse comments in the past about watermelon smiles etc, and the arranging to get a journalist beaten up should automatically get him barred from public office.

No, they weren’t fine.

It’s fine to disagree with the wearing of the niqab - I don’t like it personally, but it’s not fine to pander to the base instincts of his readership by so describing women wearing it and by being gratuitously insulting. He could have made a relevant point about it being a cultural issue rather than a religious issue.

The other issue with that particular article, is that he was trying to make a valid point about oppression of women in the fundamentalist Muslim community by insulting the women being oppressed rather than the men doing the oppressing. The point about such garments being used to restrict women is perfectly reasonable, but his way of doing it was not.

It’s the equivalent of writing an article saying that men beating up women is wrong but making fun of the way the women look with a black eye received as a result.

I agree that his other comments and other behaviours are also abhorrent. As is the description he used of gay men being ‘bum boys’.

He’s a disgusting individual not fit for his job with the Telegraph let alone public office.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2019 18:21]
*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 18:19 - Jun 19 with 891 viewsbluey_the_blue

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 18:12 - Jun 19 by BrynCartwright

Rory out of the race, and it's official....The Tories are dead. Well done David Cameron on fecking things up royally.

Is it really a surprise though?

Given his Brexit strategy was "Get May's deal through and err that's it", he's arguably more delusional than others.
Login to get fewer ads

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 18:20 - Jun 19 with 889 viewslondonlisa2001

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 16:55 - Jun 19 by Humpty

Sorry hump - just repeated some of this before I saw your response.
*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 18:23 - Jun 19 with 879 viewsHighjack

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 18:19 - Jun 19 by londonlisa2001

No, they weren’t fine.

It’s fine to disagree with the wearing of the niqab - I don’t like it personally, but it’s not fine to pander to the base instincts of his readership by so describing women wearing it and by being gratuitously insulting. He could have made a relevant point about it being a cultural issue rather than a religious issue.

The other issue with that particular article, is that he was trying to make a valid point about oppression of women in the fundamentalist Muslim community by insulting the women being oppressed rather than the men doing the oppressing. The point about such garments being used to restrict women is perfectly reasonable, but his way of doing it was not.

It’s the equivalent of writing an article saying that men beating up women is wrong but making fun of the way the women look with a black eye received as a result.

I agree that his other comments and other behaviours are also abhorrent. As is the description he used of gay men being ‘bum boys’.

He’s a disgusting individual not fit for his job with the Telegraph let alone public office.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2019 18:21]

Agree completely.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 18:24 - Jun 19 with 875 viewslondonlisa2001

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 18:19 - Jun 19 by bluey_the_blue

Is it really a surprise though?

Given his Brexit strategy was "Get May's deal through and err that's it", he's arguably more delusional than others.

No. He’s not.

It’s completely delusional to think we can leave on October 31st without a deal.

The cabinet have been told by the way that the NHS do not have time to stockpile the medicines they would need prior to that date, and have also been told that some life critical medicines cannot be stockpiled due to shelf life.

How many lives are worth losing to get a no deal brexit that has no mandate from the country Bluey?
*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 18:24 - Jun 19 with 874 viewsbluey_the_blue

It's wierd, Lisa.

"Bum boys" comment means he's homophobic yet backed same sex marriage, repeal of Section 28 when senior Tories were against that.

The reason I'm not voting for him is simply that the above just indicates words and actions are so disparate... what to make of it? Were his actions indicative of a liberal bent with zero filter or awareness of his words?
*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 18:26 - Jun 19 with 869 viewsexiledclaseboy

And then there were fewer.

Gove v Hunt in a battle to finish second to Johnson. Who will then be pm opposite Corbyn’s opposition leader. Not a sensible Brexit policy to be found.

What a state to be in. Soon we’ll have our very own Trump. Great.

Poll: Tory leader

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 18:27 - Jun 19 with 866 viewsbluey_the_blue

Cheer up, ECB, football season starts soon.

Oh.
*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 18:29 - Jun 19 with 855 viewsexiledclaseboy

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 18:27 - Jun 19 by bluey_the_blue

Cheer up, ECB, football season starts soon.

Oh.

I’m perfectly cheerful thanks. Every vote for Johnson makes a second referendum more likely. Fine by me.

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 18:39 - Jun 19 with 837 viewsunion_jack

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 18:29 - Jun 19 by exiledclaseboy

I’m perfectly cheerful thanks. Every vote for Johnson makes a second referendum more likely. Fine by me.

Serious question, how do you that scenario panning out?

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 18:43 - Jun 19 with 828 viewslondonlisa2001

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 18:24 - Jun 19 by bluey_the_blue

It's wierd, Lisa.

"Bum boys" comment means he's homophobic yet backed same sex marriage, repeal of Section 28 when senior Tories were against that.

The reason I'm not voting for him is simply that the above just indicates words and actions are so disparate... what to make of it? Were his actions indicative of a liberal bent with zero filter or awareness of his words?

He’s a panderer, and says things that he thinks will appeal.

He will do or say anything to get support and doesn’t care where that support comes from or at what expense.

Once you realise the only principle he has is furthering his own position it makes sense.

He’s no more anti EU than I am. The laugh of all this is he’s the one most likely to stop it all to save his own position.
*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 18:43 - Jun 19 with 827 viewsHumpty

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 18:20 - Jun 19 by londonlisa2001

No problem.
*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 18:46 - Jun 19 with 818 viewsHighjack

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 18:20 - Jun 19 by londonlisa2001

It’s almost word for word too which is a bit spooky.

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 18:48 - Jun 19 with 813 viewslondonlisa2001

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 18:46 - Jun 19 by Highjack

Lol. I thought that as well when I read it.

It’s obviously some sort of liberal virus.
*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 18:56 - Jun 19 with 798 viewsHumpty

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 18:46 - Jun 19 by Highjack

Great minds etc.
*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 19:11 - Jun 19 with 777 viewsexiledclaseboy

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 18:39 - Jun 19 by union_jack

Serious question, how do you that scenario panning out?

Bearing in mind that nothing is ever guaranteed in politics these days, something like this.

1 - the withdrawal agreement isn’t getting through parliament.
2 - despite the nonsensical posturing from the candidates, there will be no other withdrawal agreement. If there was, they’d have offered it to May and all this madness would have ended months ago.
3 - no deal isn’t getting through parliament. Despite the macho bullshit from Johnson et al, they know it and won’t risk a defeat in a no confidence vote which would trigger a general election because...
4 - no Tory leader is going to be dull enough to call or risk a general election while we’re still in the EU because they know they would be absolutely annihilated.
5 - which leaves two potential options. A further extension from the EU while a further referendum is carried out it, if that extension isn’t forthcoming, the revocation of A50 for the same reason. If leave wins the second referendum A50 is triggered again.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2019 19:27]

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 19:13 - Jun 19 with 773 viewsmonmouth

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 18:29 - Jun 19 by exiledclaseboy

I can only see two paths for the turd Johnson when he wakes up the day after being installed and shits himself. Unless he pretends to go for no deal and blame parliament for him not being able to meet Oct 31st. But, failing the pretend no deal scenario, I'd think:

1. Rebadged May's deal will be voted through with some ridiculous prattle added by Johnson about the backstop with Cox (or a poodle replacement) strongarmed in. Or;

2 Johnson will just f*ck over the ERG dipshits by agreeing a customs union and whatever else will get sufficient labour votes. Which would be hilarious. Brain dead Francois would go apeshit.

Then he'll hold an election saying he delivered brexit and relying on his 'legendary charm' to hoodwink a first past the post majority.

Won't work of course, as Farage will be crying betrayal, as will his rabid right wing and when Johnson can't avoid scrutiny between now and any election he will reveal what a cast iron gold plated hopeless plum he clearly is. It would be amusing if it was some other banana republic that we were watching, rather than our own.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 19:15 - Jun 19 with 764 viewsbluey_the_blue

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 19:11 - Jun 19 by exiledclaseboy

Bearing in mind that nothing is ever guaranteed in politics these days, something like this.

1 - the withdrawal agreement isn’t getting through parliament.
2 - despite the nonsensical posturing from the candidates, there will be no other withdrawal agreement. If there was, they’d have offered it to May and all this madness would have ended months ago.
3 - no deal isn’t getting through parliament. Despite the macho bullshit from Johnson et al, they know it and won’t risk a defeat in a no confidence vote which would trigger a general election because...
4 - no Tory leader is going to be dull enough to call or risk a general election while we’re still in the EU because they know they would be absolutely annihilated.
5 - which leaves two potential options. A further extension from the EU while a further referendum is carried out it, if that extension isn’t forthcoming, the revocation of A50 for the same reason. If leave wins the second referendum A50 is triggered again.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2019 19:27]

Or it varies at point 4.

New Tory leader believes Labour vote will implode, believes he could get more than Brexit party. Forms government backed by Brexit Party to push through no deal.
*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 19:18 - Jun 19 with 757 viewsexiledclaseboy

*OFFICIAL* BBC Tory leadership debate thread on 19:15 - Jun 19 by bluey_the_blue

Or it varies at point 4.

New Tory leader believes Labour vote will implode, believes he could get more than Brexit party. Forms government backed by Brexit Party to push through no deal.

Yeah that deserves a lol. Keep at it though, it’s amusing.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024