Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ford to cut 12,000 jobs in Europe. 12:53 - Jun 27 with 3247 viewsSymondsYatjack

I suppose someone on here will blame Brexit 😂
Ford to cut 12,000 jobs in Europe. on 13:22 - Jun 28 with 610 viewsCooperman

Ford to cut 12,000 jobs in Europe. on 12:38 - Jun 28 by costalotta

I agree that we should be grabbing those opportunities, theres so many opportunities.

Do we currently build electric cars in this country? (y/n)

Do we have the workforce in this country to build electric cars? (y/n)

Yes - the best known example being the Nissan Leaf which is manufactured in their Sunderland plant.

EV and traditional combustion engine equivalents can be built side by side utilising the same workforce. The 'clever' part of EV propulsion comes in the form of the powertrain and its integration with other vehicle systems. There aren't many big powertrain players out there in the world and the race is on to champion the market.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Ford to cut 12,000 jobs in Europe. on 13:28 - Jun 28 with 594 viewscostalotta

Ford to cut 12,000 jobs in Europe. on 13:22 - Jun 28 by Cooperman

Yes - the best known example being the Nissan Leaf which is manufactured in their Sunderland plant.

EV and traditional combustion engine equivalents can be built side by side utilising the same workforce. The 'clever' part of EV propulsion comes in the form of the powertrain and its integration with other vehicle systems. There aren't many big powertrain players out there in the world and the race is on to champion the market.

Exactly, so AMS banging on about China et al is not relevant to the point. The jobs lost at Ford Bridgend and elsewhere are not being transferred to making e Cars as far as i know?

If we have the workforce in place surely the car manufacturers will see whats going on, take advantage of a ready made workforce... wouldn't they?
Ford to cut 12,000 jobs in Europe. on 13:45 - Jun 28 with 564 viewsCooperman

Ford to cut 12,000 jobs in Europe. on 13:28 - Jun 28 by costalotta

Exactly, so AMS banging on about China et al is not relevant to the point. The jobs lost at Ford Bridgend and elsewhere are not being transferred to making e Cars as far as i know?

If we have the workforce in place surely the car manufacturers will see whats going on, take advantage of a ready made workforce... wouldn't they?

His ramble was correct in parts but incorrect in others.
He got the China part wrong as what's made in China generally stays there. On the other hand he was correct about Eastern Europe where a lot of OEM's now have a footprint for manufacturing vehicles to be sold in Europe. However these are largely assembly sites only and the core engineering generally takes place in Western Europe.

The jobs at Ford have been lost for a number of reasons and in no particular order i) there is spare capacity in their overall footprint, ii) Bridgend is in the wrong place from a logistics viewpoint, iii) demand for the current product range was diminishing.

Ford to cut 12,000 jobs in Europe. on 13:50 - Jun 28 with 555 viewscostalotta

Ford to cut 12,000 jobs in Europe. on 13:45 - Jun 28 by Cooperman

His ramble was correct in parts but incorrect in others.
He got the China part wrong as what's made in China generally stays there. On the other hand he was correct about Eastern Europe where a lot of OEM's now have a footprint for manufacturing vehicles to be sold in Europe. However these are largely assembly sites only and the core engineering generally takes place in Western Europe.

The jobs at Ford have been lost for a number of reasons and in no particular order i) there is spare capacity in their overall footprint, ii) Bridgend is in the wrong place from a logistics viewpoint, iii) demand for the current product range was diminishing.

Yes, hear that.

My point about Bridgend was theres a workforce there ready to go, if an e Car manufacturer is coming t the UK... But they are not at this time whether Brexit or not. That was my point.

Investment, has slowed massively.
Ford to cut 12,000 jobs in Europe. on 14:08 - Jun 28 with 543 viewsCooperman

Ford to cut 12,000 jobs in Europe. on 13:50 - Jun 28 by costalotta

Yes, hear that.

My point about Bridgend was theres a workforce there ready to go, if an e Car manufacturer is coming t the UK... But they are not at this time whether Brexit or not. That was my point.

Investment, has slowed massively.

Manufacturers of EV's will build them on the same site as their ICE products.

Dyson is an exception but then they have neither a footprint or a current model.

Ford to cut 12,000 jobs in Europe. on 03:54 - Jun 29 with 469 viewsCooperman

Ford to cut 12,000 jobs in Europe. on 17:36 - Jun 27 by bluey_the_blue

Jeez, only popped into make a point re visas and sh1t Indian IT workers..

I think it could if an effective immigration strategy with enforcement is in place.

EDIT: The problem at the moment is unskilled workers. "Natives" unhappy to do what they believe to be menial jobs with low pay believing thy are entitled to loadsamoney for reasons. Limit, stop unskilled workers arriving. Locals don't want to take to those jobs on? Fine,but don't expect the taxpayer to fund your lifestyle of watching whatever is replacing Jeremy Kyle.
[Post edited 27 Jun 2019 17:39]

Can you expand your comment further regarding sh1t Indian IT workers?

Ford to cut 12,000 jobs in Europe. on 08:20 - Jun 29 with 439 viewsbluey_the_blue

Ford to cut 12,000 jobs in Europe. on 03:54 - Jun 29 by Cooperman

Can you expand your comment further regarding sh1t Indian IT workers?

Visa abuses in the past included advertising every skill under the sun for a day rate massively below market rate. No contractors responding, so "agency" then pushes for visa to bring Indian worker over. Other abuses include taking the p1ss out of the entrepeneur ( T4? ) visa; every year we see someone wanting to sub-contract at the end of the year to try to get round that.

Don't get me wrong, there are some excellent developers out there from the Indian sub-continent - they are being hurt by the visa abuses too as a lot of utter dross are getting visas. I just find it amusing in a not very funny way that it gets pushed there's an IT skills gap when there is a very large, flexible pool of UK IT contractors who are skilled yet constantly being undermined by HMG and HMRC.
Ford to cut 12,000 jobs in Europe. on 08:45 - Jun 29 with 428 viewsCooperman

Ford to cut 12,000 jobs in Europe. on 08:20 - Jun 29 by bluey_the_blue

Visa abuses in the past included advertising every skill under the sun for a day rate massively below market rate. No contractors responding, so "agency" then pushes for visa to bring Indian worker over. Other abuses include taking the p1ss out of the entrepeneur ( T4? ) visa; every year we see someone wanting to sub-contract at the end of the year to try to get round that.

Don't get me wrong, there are some excellent developers out there from the Indian sub-continent - they are being hurt by the visa abuses too as a lot of utter dross are getting visas. I just find it amusing in a not very funny way that it gets pushed there's an IT skills gap when there is a very large, flexible pool of UK IT contractors who are skilled yet constantly being undermined by HMG and HMRC.

Right’o. I was prepared to go into detail about a previous job of mine where I set up several very successful offshore services and JV’s where this need was primarily driven by lack of UK skill set and value. However I won’t bother as it seems that you didn’t actually mean what you typed.

Login to get fewer ads

Ford to cut 12,000 jobs in Europe. on 10:24 - Jun 29 with 398 viewsbluey_the_blue

Ford to cut 12,000 jobs in Europe. on 08:45 - Jun 29 by Cooperman

Right’o. I was prepared to go into detail about a previous job of mine where I set up several very successful offshore services and JV’s where this need was primarily driven by lack of UK skill set and value. However I won’t bother as it seems that you didn’t actually mean what you typed.

Hmm, yes I did. I've been lucky in that my company has made enough money from onshoring after outsourcing has failed badly.

A memorable one was at a defence company where we had to clear 5000 or so bugs in six months for the company to avoid tens of millions of pounds worth of penalties. The outsourcing company were fvcking clueless; one quality dev, the rest VB programmers at best trying to code Enterprise Java. Last gig got the company to ditch the outsourced company, exposed their tech guru as utterly clueless.

When people claim there's a skills shortage it usually means they want a cheap offshore option and ignore the long term cost of fixing the sh1t they get.
Ford to cut 12,000 jobs in Europe. on 12:56 - Jun 29 with 363 viewsCooperman

Ford to cut 12,000 jobs in Europe. on 10:24 - Jun 29 by bluey_the_blue

Hmm, yes I did. I've been lucky in that my company has made enough money from onshoring after outsourcing has failed badly.

A memorable one was at a defence company where we had to clear 5000 or so bugs in six months for the company to avoid tens of millions of pounds worth of penalties. The outsourcing company were fvcking clueless; one quality dev, the rest VB programmers at best trying to code Enterprise Java. Last gig got the company to ditch the outsourced company, exposed their tech guru as utterly clueless.

When people claim there's a skills shortage it usually means they want a cheap offshore option and ignore the long term cost of fixing the sh1t they get.

I hope your company also released the person(s) who nominated the offshore entity. There's a strong correlation between the quality of the outsourced service and the group responsible for sourcing them.

Ford to cut 12,000 jobs in Europe. on 13:08 - Jun 29 with 359 viewsbluey_the_blue

Ford to cut 12,000 jobs in Europe. on 12:56 - Jun 29 by Cooperman

I hope your company also released the person(s) who nominated the offshore entity. There's a strong correlation between the quality of the outsourced service and the group responsible for sourcing them.

Well, 20 plus years of contracting and I've yet to have found a good one. The bigger Indian consultancies are especially bad; one recent gig had to trace through provided source code to work out what was going on having had a two hour conference call with so called developers who didn't understand code they wrote... and that was a big name consultancy, the British client was certainly a big name in their field.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024