Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone still get a newspaper delivered or buy one? 20:19 - Jun 27 with 1006 viewsdickythorpe

I'm off on annual leave for next 10 days and I bought a newspaper (Daily Mirror).
It made me think , my old man is pushing 80 and still gets the Guardian and Evening Post delivered (the dinosaur!)

How many on here still buy or get one delivered?
[Post edited 27 Jun 2019 20:19]
Anyone still get a newspaper delivered or buy one? on 20:23 - Jun 27 with 983 viewssainthelens

Racing Post delivered daily.
Anyone still get a newspaper delivered or buy one? on 20:28 - Jun 27 with 973 viewsWingstandwood

I still buy the SWEP every day at local shops but tbh quality wise and from a social campaigning level (bygone days with Susan Bailey) the paper is a mere shadow of what it once was.

The paper is harder to navigate also, stuffed full of adverts and without the more predictable layout of years back i.e. you could roughly turn a few pages and get somewhere near to a chosen section of interest e.g. TV schedule. It's higgledy piggledy all over the place nowadays.

Argus!

Anyone still get a newspaper delivered or buy one? on 20:49 - Jun 27 with 937 viewsLeonWasGod

Nope. Most are just full of sh*te.

The boy gets the Beano though; that’s much better!
Anyone still get a newspaper delivered or buy one? on 20:50 - Jun 27 with 935 viewsFlashberryjack

Still get my paper delivered (The Guardian) .

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Anyone still get a newspaper delivered or buy one? on 20:50 - Jun 27 with 937 viewsmajorraglan

We don’t have a daily newspaper, but the wife gets the Carmarthen Journal ( which is from the same publishers as the Evening Post) delivered once a week.
Anyone still get a newspaper delivered or buy one? on 20:54 - Jun 27 with 925 viewsMrSwerve

It’s all online. Only ever get a paper when I’m on holiday or at the airport etc...but that was before WiFi was readily available at most hotels.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Anyone still get a newspaper delivered or buy one? on 20:54 - Jun 27 with 923 viewsKilkennyjack

No - cant remember last time a bought a paper.

Beware of the Risen People

Anyone still get a newspaper delivered or buy one? on 21:33 - Jun 27 with 880 viewsbuilthjack

Yep. As long as the crossword is very cryptic

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone still get a newspaper delivered or buy one? on 21:35 - Jun 27 with 876 viewsexiledclaseboy

The only time I get an actual newspaper these days is the Evening Standard whenever I’m in London and only then because it’s free.

Poll: Tory leader

Anyone still get a newspaper delivered or buy one? on 21:50 - Jun 27 with 845 viewscmajack

Mother in law still has 3 papers a day , daily mail , the sun ( for bingo numbers and evening post. Crazy in this day and age but she's not very able now and tv and papers see her through the day. She does have a mobile and have told her she can find it online but she's old school.
Anyone still get a newspaper delivered or buy one? on 21:54 - Jun 27 with 840 viewsJack123

Anyone still get a newspaper delivered or buy one? on 20:28 - Jun 27 by Wingstandwood

I still buy the SWEP every day at local shops but tbh quality wise and from a social campaigning level (bygone days with Susan Bailey) the paper is a mere shadow of what it once was.

The paper is harder to navigate also, stuffed full of adverts and without the more predictable layout of years back i.e. you could roughly turn a few pages and get somewhere near to a chosen section of interest e.g. TV schedule. It's higgledy piggledy all over the place nowadays.

Have you looked at Wales Online? It's the same thing, the bonus it's free, also you get the local news a lot earlier.

libera nos a malo

Anyone still get a newspaper delivered or buy one? on 22:00 - Jun 27 with 829 viewsWarwickHunt

Anyone still get a newspaper delivered or buy one? on 21:35 - Jun 27 by exiledclaseboy

The only time I get an actual newspaper these days is the Evening Standard whenever I’m in London and only then because it’s free.

It used to be known as the alternative newspaper - as in the alternative to reading the fûcking ads on the tube.

Get the Guardian via email first thing every morning. Have to put the coffee down when reading John Crace. Get The Times free from Waitrose most days.
Anyone still get a newspaper delivered or buy one? on 22:12 - Jun 27 with 804 viewsFieryJack

Just the Guardian - but only on a Saturday because it takes me almost a week to read the effing thing.

Read the local rag (Telegraph and Argus) online, but (like all local papers) it's absolute torture to read, with adverts obtruding every 2 seconds and the screen jumping all over the place.

Flashberry reads the Guardian!?

From most of his posts on here I had him down as a Sun/Mail/Telegraph man.
Anyone still get a newspaper delivered or buy one? on 22:16 - Jun 27 with 785 viewsBrynCartwright

Anyone still get a newspaper delivered or buy one? on 21:54 - Jun 27 by Jack123

Have you looked at Wales Online? It's the same thing, the bonus it's free, also you get the local news a lot earlier.

Unfortunately Wales On Line drives me up the wall because of the ad load times, so I get the EP every day from the local shops, and we get the Mirror on Saturdays, but most of my news intake is online via BBC, CNN and the mighty South Wales Guardian. Used to buy the real Guardian and Observer in my London days.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Anyone still get a newspaper delivered or buy one? on 22:35 - Jun 27 with 756 viewsjack2jack

Yes,Mrs J2J buys The Evening Post every day, from the local store.
As Bryn has already said WOL website is utter sh!te. So if anyone is looking in, get it sorted FFS.
PS. Enjoy your break Dick.
Anyone still get a newspaper delivered or buy one? on 22:56 - Jun 27 with 731 viewsJack123

Anyone still get a newspaper delivered or buy one? on 22:16 - Jun 27 by BrynCartwright

Unfortunately Wales On Line drives me up the wall because of the ad load times, so I get the EP every day from the local shops, and we get the Mirror on Saturdays, but most of my news intake is online via BBC, CNN and the mighty South Wales Guardian. Used to buy the real Guardian and Observer in my London days.

If you are using WOL, on a desktop/laptop and chrome is your browser, install Adblock plus, it blocks all that rubbish, and makes it a whole lot more useable.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock-plus-free-ad-bloc/cfhdojbkjhnk
[Post edited 27 Jun 2019 23:01]

libera nos a malo

Anyone still get a newspaper delivered or buy one? on 23:10 - Jun 27 with 706 viewsVincent_Vega

All my news consumption is now online through bbc and wales online (Adblock installed obviously.)

Have not bought a paper in years and the next time I’ll have one is probably get the ‘free’ water at WHSmiths in an airport.

Fleet Street is dying and it’s near all online, i was disappointed when evening post website and Llanelli star have been absorbed into wales online creating a single outlet for news which can’t be healthy.

Boycott Shampoo......Demand Real Poo!!!

Anyone still get a newspaper delivered or buy one? on 23:24 - Jun 27 with 685 viewsBrynCartwright

Anyone still get a newspaper delivered or buy one? on 22:56 - Jun 27 by Jack123

If you are using WOL, on a desktop/laptop and chrome is your browser, install Adblock plus, it blocks all that rubbish, and makes it a whole lot more useable.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock-plus-free-ad-bloc/cfhdojbkjhnk
[Post edited 27 Jun 2019 23:01]

Many thanks Jack123. just installed it and it works like a dream. Top man!

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Anyone still get a newspaper delivered or buy one? on 23:44 - Jun 27 with 665 viewsJack123

Anyone still get a newspaper delivered or buy one? on 23:24 - Jun 27 by BrynCartwright

Many thanks Jack123. just installed it and it works like a dream. Top man!

Great stuff, glad to help.
[Post edited 27 Jun 2019 23:44]

libera nos a malo

Anyone still get a newspaper delivered or buy one? on 23:44 - Jun 27 with 664 viewsTNT

Sporting Post was a must after every game from '76 onwards.

Drove 40 miles every night, for many years, to get The Post after moving from Swansea area.

Nowadays, free Times most days from Waitrose (a la Warwick ), and if I can p*ss off Warnock, in said store, then happy days.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Anyone still get a newspaper delivered or buy one? on 00:35 - Jun 28 with 636 viewshuwrichards57

My Nan still gets the Mail daily. And I enjoy doing the crossword with her when I go round.
Anyone still get a newspaper delivered or buy one? on 06:26 - Jun 28 with 580 viewsjackal

Sometimes go to Verdi's for coffee and I read the ones that they have there.

It's the only time I pick up a paper.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024