Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Advice on building 08:11 - Jun 30 with 2382 viewsAlberto_Swinglehurst

I'm hoping to begin building a detached garage at the bottom of my garden. It is going to be a large garage with room for an additional garden room as well as storage for the usual garage junk one accumulates over time. The size of the slab foundation is around 5m X 7m.

The ground its going to be built on has a high water table so there is a danger of the ground freezing and expanding during the colder months. Question is how deep do i need to dig to get hardcore in to prevent any movement and possible cracking of any foundations/slab etc.

Anyone on here have enough knowledge on this sort of thing to advise?

Thanks Planet Swans.
Advice on building on 09:21 - Jun 30 with 2313 viewsItchySphincter

Building regs.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Advice on building on 09:23 - Jun 30 with 2309 viewsbuilthjack

Have you had planning for this?

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Advice on building on 09:40 - Jun 30 with 2294 viewsAlberto_Swinglehurst

Advice on building on 09:23 - Jun 30 by builthjack

Have you had planning for this?

Do I need planning?
Advice on building on 10:56 - Jun 30 with 2231 viewsjack2jack

Contact the local council for building regs advice as said above, their website has some good advice.
As regards to frost heave, the founds generally need to be 450 below finished GL.
The thing I'd be concerned with is the high water table, you don't want the slab to float, you need to determine what level the water table is in relation to the slab, and if it's permanent or rainfall dependant. One easy way to check is to dig a trial pit to the depth of the foundation and see if water drains into the pit if it does there maybe site drainage issues, which may need resolving first.
Get some good advice from a reputable builder.
Advice on building on 15:07 - Jun 30 with 2141 viewsAguycalledJack

Advice on building on 09:40 - Jun 30 by Alberto_Swinglehurst

Do I need planning?

Yes. You need planning permission just to take a sh!t these days.
Advice on building on 16:58 - Jun 30 with 2071 viewsAlberto_Swinglehurst

Advice on building on 15:07 - Jun 30 by AguycalledJack

Yes. You need planning permission just to take a sh!t these days.

Maybe I don't according to this...

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/wales_en/info/3/common_projects/34/outbuildings
Advice on building on 21:53 - Jun 30 with 1942 viewsPacemaker

Advice on building on 16:58 - Jun 30 by Alberto_Swinglehurst

Maybe I don't according to this...

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/wales_en/info/3/common_projects/34/outbuildings

My neighbour has built a massive workshop the full width of his garden with no planning permission required.

In regard to your original question there are loads of online sites that have calculators to work out the size of slabs and footings.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Advice on building on 04:07 - Jul 1 with 1864 viewsJack59

If you do a concrete strip foundation it should be down to the level of the clay.
If you do a raft or slab with mesh reinforcement, I can't see why water plays any part.

I've got a detached house built on ground with a high water table. It was built around 1820 and the foundations for the 24 inch thick walls are just large stones on stoney clay. There is no sign of any movement yet, but because no effective damp course was ever put in, I injected the walls about 10 years ago, and as an extra precaution to alleviate possible rising damp, I constructed a 'French drain' to divert ground water away from the house. It's worked very well.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024