Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If we don't sign anyone... 11:11 - Jul 1 with 4150 viewsjackrmee

Hopefully we can get a few new players in before the deadline is up, but let's suggest we don't sign anyone. What do we have and how well could they do?

I'm going to discard the names that are on "crippling" wages, as they will almost definitely be sold/loaned out.

It's known that Cooper prefers a 433 or 4141, so lets have a look.

GK
Nordfeldt/Mulder/Benda
Not too bad. Hopefully Benda will get his chance if the other two stutter, as predicted.

LB
John/Grimes/Naughton/Govea
Not ideal, but workable. Personally I'd prefer to see Naughton here with Govea getting some games.

RB
Roberts/Naughton/U23
Not ideal either. Not sure we have a decent RB in the u23 ready for action? Could be workable, if Connor gets crocked Naughts could fill in and Govea/Grimes on the left for a bit.

CB
MVH/Rodon/Harries/Cooper/Lewis
As previously discussed, we are pretty well stocked here. Hopefully one of the u23s could make their mark if we get any injuries.

DM
Grimes/Fulton/U23
As we know, Grimes excelled here last term. He will do the job. Not an ideal sub in Fulton, but he can do the job if needed. Not sure who the defensive u23 is?

CM
Byers/Fulton/Carrol/Evans/U23
Byers and either of the other three here. I know Carroll has been shit recently, but he may just step up to the plate with a new manager etc. We also have Fulton and some decent prospects here. Think we should be OK.

Celina/Byers/McKay
Happy that we have plenty of takers for this position.

Wings
John/McKay/Routledge/Montero/Garrick/Dhanda/Asoro/Dyer
I've put these all together, as most can and will switch from their preferred wing. Plenty here. Not bad.

ST
McBurnie/Baston/Asoro/CBR/Routledge/Garrick
Plenty to choose from here. I've kept Baston here, as there is a chance he won't go and could be a benefit to us.

So to round up. If we don't sign anyone, it's surely going to be a difficult season, however we do have numbers in all positions, apart from maybe fullbacks. I'm sure Jasper can tell us what we have coming through the academy in those positions.
I still think we have the quality to do OK. Probably not challenge for top 6, but definitely stay up.
Perfect chance for more of our young players to get a chance, and arguably in better circumstances, with the confidence of what their mates did last season and a proper young person's manager to guide them.

I would obviously like some signings, but I am still confident on a promising season with the squad we have.
If we can finish mid table and get a good foundation to work on and some confidence in our u23s coming through, surely we can sort our finances out by next season and push on fully.

Like I said before, I'd be happy with a 20th place finish, beating the scum twice, blooding some new youngsters and seeing the players getting used to Cooper's approach and systems.
It may not be the best outcome, but I reckon we shouldn't necessarily be judging results this season, rather progress.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2019 11:18]

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

If we don't sign anyone... on 11:17 - Jul 1 with 2991 viewsThrasher6

Where's Celina?

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

If we don't sign anyone... on 11:19 - Jul 1 with 2977 viewsjackrmee

If we don't sign anyone... on 11:17 - Jul 1 by Thrasher6

Where's Celina?

Just noticed I'd forgot to put a number 10 in haha. Updated, cheers.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

If we don't sign anyone... on 11:20 - Jul 1 with 2976 viewsDarran

If we don't sign anyone... on 11:17 - Jul 1 by Thrasher6

Where's Celina?

At 10. 😂

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

If we don't sign anyone... on 11:24 - Jul 1 with 2947 viewsThrasher6

If we don't sign anyone... on 11:19 - Jul 1 by jackrmee

Just noticed I'd forgot to put a number 10 in haha. Updated, cheers.

No probs...good piece btw

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

If we don't sign anyone... on 11:48 - Jul 1 with 2859 viewsItchySphincter

Grimes is a good deep lying playmaker but not an exclusively defensive midfielder imo.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

If we don't sign anyone... on 11:51 - Jul 1 with 2853 viewsChief

I'm pretty amazed anyone thinks we are 'pretty well stocked' at Centre back!?

Only 2 on the books have made more than 5 starts in the team!

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

If we don't sign anyone... on 12:50 - Jul 1 with 2688 viewsjackrmee

If we don't sign anyone... on 11:51 - Jul 1 by Chief

I'm pretty amazed anyone thinks we are 'pretty well stocked' at Centre back!?

Only 2 on the books have made more than 5 starts in the team!

Jasper told me the other day that these kids could be good enough to step up. There are three of them, so we should find one out of them able to do a job in an emergency shirley.
Not ideal, but the post is about how we would play without any signings.

If we don't sign anyone... on 14:39 - Jul 1 with 2440 viewsMartyrman57

Sure Aaron Lewis has been released.
Cooper and Cabango look decent centre backs for the future.
Login to get fewer ads

If we don't sign anyone... on 14:43 - Jul 1 with 2431 viewsNotLoyal

If we don't sign anyone what excuses are available ?

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

If we don't sign anyone... on 14:52 - Jul 1 with 2402 viewsjackrmee

If we don't sign anyone... on 14:43 - Jul 1 by NotLoyal

From who?

If we don't sign anyone... on 14:58 - Jul 1 with 2383 viewsdameedna

Would like to see Carroll recover from his injury.

Same for Montero.

Asoro will hopefully perform with Cooper.
If we don't sign anyone... on 15:05 - Jul 1 with 2350 views34dfgdf54

If we don't sign anyone... on 14:43 - Jul 1 by NotLoyal

The infamous blackhole.
If we don't sign anyone... on 16:07 - Jul 1 with 2274 viewsjasper_T

Matthew Blake is with the first team as a potential left back. Hopes seem high for Govea but he played so little last season I think he's been left with the u23s for now.

Liam Cullen is out in Spain as a forward option.

Jack Evans was the holding player in the u23s midfield with Byers and Maric. Excellent reader of the game, covers space well and doesn't mind a cynical challenge.
If we don't sign anyone... on 16:25 - Jul 1 with 2224 viewsLeonWasGod

Olsson too for LB.

We've got bodies, but are they up to it? If we sign nobody we're already weaker than last season before we start. Unless Cooper can get more out of them of course, which is certainly a possibility. And the younger ones are a season older/wiser, etc.
If we don't sign anyone... on 16:51 - Jul 1 with 2159 viewsjasper_T

If we don't sign anyone... on 16:25 - Jul 1 by LeonWasGod

Olsson too for LB.

We've got bodies, but are they up to it? If we sign nobody we're already weaker than last season before we start. Unless Cooper can get more out of them of course, which is certainly a possibility. And the younger ones are a season older/wiser, etc.

Olsson's contract expired.

Of course we're weaker without DJ but Olsson and Fer barely played during our best run of form last season. Undefeated at home this year. One of the best defensive records in the division (from open play). It's a solid foundation for another season of "miracles".
If we don't sign anyone... on 17:58 - Jul 1 with 2016 viewsNeath_Jack

Jefferson Montero and Borja Baston have not travelled with the squad to Spain.

Those that have travelled:

Erwin Mulder, Steven Benda, Kyle Naughton, Connor Roberts, Mike van der Hoorn, Joe Rodon, Cian Harries, Declan John, Matt Grimes, George Byers, Jay Fulton, Yan Dhanda, Wayne Routledge, Nathan Dyer, Barrie McKay, Oli McBurnie, Courtney-Baker-Richardson, Tom Carroll, Brandon Cooper, Ben Cabango, Joe Lewis, Liam Cullen, Jordon Garrick, Jack Evans.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

If we don't sign anyone... on 18:28 - Jul 1 with 1961 viewsBillyChong

If we don't sign anyone... on 16:51 - Jul 1 by jasper_T

Of course we're weaker without DJ but Olsson and Fer barely played during our best run of form last season. Undefeated at home this year. One of the best defensive records in the division (from open play). It's a solid foundation for another season of "miracles".

Hopefully Cooper has them defending set pieces all summer otherwise one of the best defensive records in the league from open play won’t mean a thing.
If we don't sign anyone... on 18:44 - Jul 1 with 1932 viewsjasper_T

If we don't sign anyone... on 18:28 - Jul 1 by BillyChong

Hopefully Cooper has them defending set pieces all summer otherwise one of the best defensive records in the league from open play won’t mean a thing.

Or just drop Nordfeldt. Whichever seems easier.
If we don't sign anyone... on 18:54 - Jul 1 with 1898 viewsLeonWasGod

If we don't sign anyone... on 16:51 - Jul 1 by jasper_T

Ah, his contract was up was it. I wasn’t sure. Fair on Fer, although his experience was clear to see early on, and apparently just as important behind the scenes too (I can’t verify that obviously). Injured or not he’ll be missed.

It is a solid foundation, agree entirely. I’m reasonably positive pending seeing how Cooper sorts them out. Just need those game changers; losing Dan is a massive, albeit inevitable, blow as he terrorised defences last year. That’s so hard to find. Montero can do it, but we all know what his injury record is like and I suspect we’ll ship him out if we can. No CCV now either, although Joe had a great start and I prefer him to Cameron, but we’ve lost another first-teamer there.

We’re def weaker, but it’s an interesting and potentially exciting platform for Cooper (Coops, Coopie?) to build on. Oli’s key now. Lose him and we’re fecked; all about the goals in this division.
If we don't sign anyone... on 19:18 - Jul 1 with 1838 viewsNotLoyal

If we don't sign anyone... on 14:52 - Jul 1 by jackrmee

From who?

Anyone ?
Although the person responsible for signings could be a start.
Just a thought.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2019 19:19]

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

If we don't sign anyone... on 20:01 - Jul 1 with 1773 viewsjackrmee

If we don't sign anyone... on 18:54 - Jul 1 by LeonWasGod

Ah, his contract was up was it. I wasn’t sure. Fair on Fer, although his experience was clear to see early on, and apparently just as important behind the scenes too (I can’t verify that obviously). Injured or not he’ll be missed.

It is a solid foundation, agree entirely. I’m reasonably positive pending seeing how Cooper sorts them out. Just need those game changers; losing Dan is a massive, albeit inevitable, blow as he terrorised defences last year. That’s so hard to find. Montero can do it, but we all know what his injury record is like and I suspect we’ll ship him out if we can. No CCV now either, although Joe had a great start and I prefer him to Cameron, but we’ve lost another first-teamer there.

We’re def weaker, but it’s an interesting and potentially exciting platform for Cooper (Coops, Coopie?) to build on. Oli’s key now. Lose him and we’re fecked; all about the goals in this division.

"Coopie"

I agree we look weaker on papur, but as you said previously, the boys have a year of championship football under their belts. I don't expect to get to the playoffs, or even mid table, but as long as we build on what we want to do in the long term and we don't go down, happy days.
*I have also put a cheeky few quid on us to win the league at 33/1 in case old Coopie boy really gets the best out of them ha

If we don't sign anyone... on 20:05 - Jul 1 with 1758 views34dfgdf54

If we don't sign anyone... on 19:18 - Jul 1 by NotLoyal

Anyone ?
Although the person responsible for signings could be a start.
Just a thought.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2019 19:19]

The person responsible for signings hasn’t been taken on yet, still looking for “head of recruitment”.
If we don't sign anyone... on 20:11 - Jul 1 with 1737 viewsmagicdaps10

If we dont sign anyone, questions need answering.

We lost CCV, OLSSON, FER, JAMES and we need to aim higher to where we finished last season. I think you could argue, if we played what we had available from the start last season, we would have made the play offs.

A year under their belt with the kids with strengthening our obvious weaknesses and we will be ready to go.

I think the contracts being given to the next batch in recent weeks is an indication of where we are going....it is a dangerous game indeed.

The squad we have at present, if we don't lose any, it should be enough to keep us in and around mid table.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

If we don't sign anyone... on 20:20 - Jul 1 with 1711 viewsChief

If we don't sign anyone... on 20:11 - Jul 1 by magicdaps10

If we dont sign anyone, questions need answering.

We lost CCV, OLSSON, FER, JAMES and we need to aim higher to where we finished last season. I think you could argue, if we played what we had available from the start last season, we would have made the play offs.

A year under their belt with the kids with strengthening our obvious weaknesses and we will be ready to go.

I think the contracts being given to the next batch in recent weeks is an indication of where we are going....it is a dangerous game indeed.

The squad we have at present, if we don't lose any, it should be enough to keep us in and around mid table.

Bony has also gone. No great loss on playing side of course but that's a big wage off the bill

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

If we don't sign anyone... on 20:21 - Jul 1 with 1707 viewsLeonWasGod

If we don't sign anyone... on 20:01 - Jul 1 by jackrmee

"Coopie"

I agree we look weaker on papur, but as you said previously, the boys have a year of championship football under their belts. I don't expect to get to the playoffs, or even mid table, but as long as we build on what we want to do in the long term and we don't go down, happy days.
*I have also put a cheeky few quid on us to win the league at 33/1 in case old Coopie boy really gets the best out of them ha

He’s bound to have a highly original nickname by now (as long as it’s not ‘twát’ we should be ok!).

I’d like to see progression, as simple as that. We certainly need mid-table as a minimum. We’ve come down, aggressively cut costs when most others who come down don’t (not as much and so quickly). So now it’s over to the owners to show what their next plan is.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024