Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If we don't sign anyone... 11:11 - Jul 1 with 4106 viewsjackrmee

Hopefully we can get a few new players in before the deadline is up, but let's suggest we don't sign anyone. What do we have and how well could they do?

I'm going to discard the names that are on "crippling" wages, as they will almost definitely be sold/loaned out.

It's known that Cooper prefers a 433 or 4141, so lets have a look.

GK
Nordfeldt/Mulder/Benda
Not too bad. Hopefully Benda will get his chance if the other two stutter, as predicted.

LB
John/Grimes/Naughton/Govea
Not ideal, but workable. Personally I'd prefer to see Naughton here with Govea getting some games.

RB
Roberts/Naughton/U23
Not ideal either. Not sure we have a decent RB in the u23 ready for action? Could be workable, if Connor gets crocked Naughts could fill in and Govea/Grimes on the left for a bit.

CB
MVH/Rodon/Harries/Cooper/Lewis
As previously discussed, we are pretty well stocked here. Hopefully one of the u23s could make their mark if we get any injuries.

DM
Grimes/Fulton/U23
As we know, Grimes excelled here last term. He will do the job. Not an ideal sub in Fulton, but he can do the job if needed. Not sure who the defensive u23 is?

CM
Byers/Fulton/Carrol/Evans/U23
Byers and either of the other three here. I know Carroll has been shit recently, but he may just step up to the plate with a new manager etc. We also have Fulton and some decent prospects here. Think we should be OK.

Celina/Byers/McKay
Happy that we have plenty of takers for this position.

Wings
John/McKay/Routledge/Montero/Garrick/Dhanda/Asoro/Dyer
I've put these all together, as most can and will switch from their preferred wing. Plenty here. Not bad.

ST
McBurnie/Baston/Asoro/CBR/Routledge/Garrick
Plenty to choose from here. I've kept Baston here, as there is a chance he won't go and could be a benefit to us.

So to round up. If we don't sign anyone, it's surely going to be a difficult season, however we do have numbers in all positions, apart from maybe fullbacks. I'm sure Jasper can tell us what we have coming through the academy in those positions.
I still think we have the quality to do OK. Probably not challenge for top 6, but definitely stay up.
Perfect chance for more of our young players to get a chance, and arguably in better circumstances, with the confidence of what their mates did last season and a proper young person's manager to guide them.

I would obviously like some signings, but I am still confident on a promising season with the squad we have.
If we can finish mid table and get a good foundation to work on and some confidence in our u23s coming through, surely we can sort our finances out by next season and push on fully.

Like I said before, I'd be happy with a 20th place finish, beating the scum twice, blooding some new youngsters and seeing the players getting used to Cooper's approach and systems.
It may not be the best outcome, but I reckon we shouldn't necessarily be judging results this season, rather progress.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2019 11:18]

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

If we don't sign anyone... on 20:39 - Jul 1 with 1132 viewsjackrmee

Some very positive words from Coopie. I know he's bound to say positive stuff at this point and kind of states the obvious, but it hit home to me how beneficial this early week away will be for team bonding and the manager to get a lot of time with the players in order to take a very good look at them.

“It’s always beneficial to go away for a week like this because it naturally gives us more time together as staff and players. It provides us with maximum time to lay the foundations for the season’s work ahead, both on and off the pitch, and we’ll be making the most of it."

Good to hear the players are looking fit and I like the sound of the new training ideas.

“The players have clearly been diligent over the summer break because they have come back in good shape. They are in a good place which allows us to start straight away on our technical, tactical and physical work.
“They’ll be given a well thought-out daily schedule that balances training, rest and learning through video, individual conversations and group meetings.
“They are here to work — and they know that.’’

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

If we don't sign anyone... on 20:43 - Jul 1 with 1123 viewsBillyChong

If we don't sign anyone... on 20:20 - Jul 1 by Chief

Bony has also gone. No great loss on playing side of course but that's a big wage off the bill

And Narsingh
If we don't sign anyone... on 21:27 - Jul 1 with 1070 viewsSgorioFruit

if we start next season with Nordfelt and Naughton on the pitch then we really haven't learned anything at all.

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

If we don't sign anyone... on 21:42 - Jul 1 with 1045 viewsmagicdaps10

Forget the wages we will be saving, we need to strengthen on our obvious weaknesses and that can be addressed with a few new faces.

We cant stand still and hope on just the kids having a full 12 months of championship experience.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

If we don't sign anyone... on 21:45 - Jul 1 with 1043 viewssdh1412

You honestly think Mcburnie and Grimes will be here at the start of the season ?
If we don't sign anyone... on 21:48 - Jul 1 with 1031 viewsDippy

If we don't sign anyone... on 21:42 - Jul 1 by magicdaps10

Forget the wages we will be saving, we need to strengthen on our obvious weaknesses and that can be addressed with a few new faces.

We cant stand still and hope on just the kids having a full 12 months of championship experience.

Don't say that, Jasper will have a seizure, our u23s are top quality, and will no doubt take us to the promised land.. we need reinforcements if we want to challenge at the top end of this division.. it's a fact.

Poll: Cooper Out

If we don't sign anyone... on 22:03 - Jul 1 with 987 viewsJacket

If we don't sign anyone, we are well and truly up shite's creek without a paddle.
If we don't sign anyone... on 22:10 - Jul 1 with 965 viewsjackrmee

If we don't sign anyone... on 22:03 - Jul 1 by Jacket

If we don't sign anyone, we are well and truly up shite's creek without a paddle.

Relegation you reckon? Even without losing our first team players and keeping what we have?

Login to get fewer ads

If we don't sign anyone... on 22:10 - Jul 1 with 965 viewsjackrmee

If we don't sign anyone... on 21:45 - Jul 1 by sdh1412

You honestly think Mcburnie and Grimes will be here at the start of the season ?

I definitely do yeah.

If we don't sign anyone... on 22:12 - Jul 1 with 953 views34dfgdf54

If we don't sign anyone... on 22:10 - Jul 1 by jackrmee

I definitely do yeah.

Still in balance I reckon.

If we can’t get rid of Ayew’s in a timely manner they’ll go, they won’t risk taking it to last days of window imo.
If we don't sign anyone... on 22:21 - Jul 1 with 937 viewsjasper_T

If we don't sign anyone... on 20:11 - Jul 1 by magicdaps10

If we dont sign anyone, questions need answering.

We lost CCV, OLSSON, FER, JAMES and we need to aim higher to where we finished last season. I think you could argue, if we played what we had available from the start last season, we would have made the play offs.

A year under their belt with the kids with strengthening our obvious weaknesses and we will be ready to go.

I think the contracts being given to the next batch in recent weeks is an indication of where we are going....it is a dangerous game indeed.

The squad we have at present, if we don't lose any, it should be enough to keep us in and around mid table.

We've always handed out new contracts to development players at this time of year.
If we don't sign anyone... on 22:28 - Jul 1 with 919 viewsjasper_T

If we don't sign anyone... on 21:48 - Jul 1 by Dippy

Don't say that, Jasper will have a seizure, our u23s are top quality, and will no doubt take us to the promised land.. we need reinforcements if we want to challenge at the top end of this division.. it's a fact.

The top quality u23s that you and others talked so much sh!t about are already playing for us, or have been sold for £15m. There isn't the same backlog as we had last summer for obvious reasons, but there are a few that can do a job out in Spain for Cooper to look at.
If we don't sign anyone... on 22:35 - Jul 1 with 907 viewsDippy

If we don't sign anyone... on 22:28 - Jul 1 by jasper_T

The top quality u23s that you and others talked so much sh!t about are already playing for us, or have been sold for £15m. There isn't the same backlog as we had last summer for obvious reasons, but there are a few that can do a job out in Spain for Cooper to look at.

We finished mid table, as I expected with this group, and we'll finish there again unless we invest. But it's pointless arguing with a guru like you.

Poll: Cooper Out

If we don't sign anyone... on 23:28 - Jul 1 with 838 views34dfgdf54

If we don't sign anyone... on 22:35 - Jul 1 by Dippy

We finished mid table, as I expected with this group, and we'll finish there again unless we invest. But it's pointless arguing with a guru like you.

Agreed.

It would be a more than acceptable finish aswell, as it was last season.
If we don't sign anyone... on 23:55 - Jul 1 with 819 viewsPentyrchJack

If we don't sign anyone... on 14:43 - Jul 1 by NotLoyal

If we don't sign anyone what excuses are available ?

The fax machine has been playing up lately

Poll: Fox Hunting - what do you think?

If we don't sign anyone... on 00:51 - Jul 2 with 790 viewsJacket

If we don't sign anyone... on 22:10 - Jul 1 by jackrmee

Relegation you reckon? Even without losing our first team players and keeping what we have?

We'd have been a damn sight nearer relegation this season if it wasn't for Dan James, so if we don't sign anybody we'll be nearer the bottom 3 than the top 6. And that's if we don't lose anybody else. With so many breaking through last season from the u23s, we can't seriously expect more than 1 or 2 breaking through next season.

How long can this strategy of promoting from within continue? We may have kept the U23s in the same category but we won't be paying big sums of money to sign players to our age grade set up. Rodon and Connor may have come from within, but big money changed hands to bring in James and Grimes the stand out performers of last season of those that made the step up.

I may be naive, but I am expecting to see a few signings coming through the doors. Time to start keeping watch down Rossi's once this Spanish trip is over.
If we don't sign anyone... on 08:16 - Jul 2 with 664 viewsexhmrc1

If we don't sign anyone... on 00:51 - Jul 2 by Jacket

We'd have been a damn sight nearer relegation this season if it wasn't for Dan James, so if we don't sign anybody we'll be nearer the bottom 3 than the top 6. And that's if we don't lose anybody else. With so many breaking through last season from the u23s, we can't seriously expect more than 1 or 2 breaking through next season.

How long can this strategy of promoting from within continue? We may have kept the U23s in the same category but we won't be paying big sums of money to sign players to our age grade set up. Rodon and Connor may have come from within, but big money changed hands to bring in James and Grimes the stand out performers of last season of those that made the step up.

I may be naive, but I am expecting to see a few signings coming through the doors. Time to start keeping watch down Rossi's once this Spanish trip is over.

The Americans have broken with years of tradition and no longer go to Rossi's for Rissole and Chips. They are now taking potential recruits to Denny's for pancakes.
If we don't sign anyone... on 08:47 - Jul 2 with 638 viewstrinityann

The quality of the squad is quickly diminishing and anymore players leaving without real replacements, we will be pushing for the wrong end of the table. Without Dan in the team now, this is no real excitement within current squad for fans, it really feels like average championship team.
If we don't sign anyone... on 09:22 - Jul 2 with 603 viewsjackrmee

If we don't sign anyone... on 22:35 - Jul 1 by Dippy

Mid table is fine by me, as long as we are improving.

If we don't sign anyone... on 09:25 - Jul 2 with 600 viewsjackrmee

If we don't sign anyone... on 08:47 - Jul 2 by trinityann

The quality of the squad is quickly diminishing and anymore players leaving without real replacements, we will be pushing for the wrong end of the table. Without Dan in the team now, this is no real excitement within current squad for fans, it really feels like average championship team.

Average maybe...
But younger, hungrier and with much more potential than most.

edit. with a better playing style and management team.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2019 9:26]

If we don't sign anyone... on 10:24 - Jul 2 with 560 viewswestwalesed

If we don't sign anyone... on 09:22 - Jul 2 by jackrmee

Mid table is fine by me, as long as we are improving.

Considering where we are at I would snap your hand off for a mid table finish and more youngsters blooded.

On Olsson - disappointed we have let his contract run down. I know he's been injury prone but the Championship is clearly his level. I feel he would have been solid at LB.

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

If we don't sign anyone... on 11:00 - Jul 2 with 534 viewsBadlands

From the OP

Personally I'd prefer to see Naughton here with Govea getting some games.

I think everyone would like to see Govea play, unfortunately he spent almost all of last season on the treatment table.
Looks very good when he's played (IMO).
I have saw very little in the U23 to suggest many will come through this season.
I can't see Banda pushing for game time less there are injuries or transfers out.
Not sure about Cooper and Lewis at CB either - Cabango may well leapfrog both.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024