Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Port Talbot Train Accident - Two Railway Workers Killed 11:53 - Jul 3 with 2830 viewsjackharris

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/train-port-talbot-bridgend-gwr-165

Two people have died after being hit by a train on the line between Bridgend and Port Talbot. British Transport Police said they were pronounced dead at the scene after being hit by a train at around 10am.

National Rail say three people were hit by the train. Two people are confirmed to have died, and one person is being treated for shock. All lines are blocked. Superintendent Andy Morgan from British Transport Police, said: “We are making a number of urgent enquiries to understand exactly what happened in the moments leading to this fatal collision.

“Very sadly two people have died and my officers are now working to identify them and ensure that their families are supported at this incredibly difficult time.”

A passenger on the 9.29am Great Western Railway service Swansea to Cardiff said the train had come to an abrupt stop just outside Port Talbot Parkway. He said that there was complete shock among passengers on board. A train manager had said that railway workers had been hit by the train.

A statement said: "There is no firm estimate available as to when the line will re-open, however, we anticipate trains will remain disrupted until 2pm." Some Great Western Railway services will be diverted via an alternative route and not call at stations between Bridgend and Port Talbot Parkway.
[Post edited 3 Jul 2019 11:56]

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

Port Talbot Train Accident - Two Railway Workers Killed on 12:41 - Jul 3 with 2739 viewsjackharris

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7208729/Horror-train-hits-railway-worke

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.

Port Talbot Train Accident - Two Railway Workers Killed on 13:14 - Jul 3 with 2687 viewslondonlisa2001

This is dreadful. Awful for the men involved and their families. And awful for the train driver as well.

How on earth can this happen? They need an urgent assessment of procedures - this should be near on impossible.
Port Talbot Train Accident - Two Railway Workers Killed on 13:32 - Jul 3 with 2666 viewsNeath_Jack

Port Talbot Train Accident - Two Railway Workers Killed on 13:14 - Jul 3 by londonlisa2001

This is dreadful. Awful for the men involved and their families. And awful for the train driver as well.

How on earth can this happen? They need an urgent assessment of procedures - this should be near on impossible.

I've just got back from there.

Network Rail have some of the strictest safety procedures i have come across, and that's including the petrochemical industry. Only nuclear industry has stricter.

I'd be shocked if this was down to a procedural issue, not to say that it won't be though, I just can't see it.

Absolutely devastating news to their friends, family and colleagues.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Port Talbot Train Accident - Two Railway Workers Killed on 13:35 - Jul 3 with 2662 viewslondonlisa2001

Port Talbot Train Accident - Two Railway Workers Killed on 13:32 - Jul 3 by Neath_Jack

Network Rail have some of the strictest safety procedures i have come across, and that's including the petrochemical industry. Only nuclear industry has stricter.

I'd be shocked if this was down to a procedural issue, not to say that it won't be though, I just can't see it.

I know they do. Which is why I’m so shocked that it can be possible.
Port Talbot Train Accident - Two Railway Workers Killed on 13:46 - Jul 3 with 2627 viewsDarran

Absolutely dreadful news.
Seeing the steelworks there makes me feel queasy too.
So sad.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Port Talbot Train Accident - Two Railway Workers Killed on 15:01 - Jul 3 with 2531 viewsLeonWasGod

Fk, saw something on the TV in the gym but wasn't sure what it was all about. RIP to those who've lost their live and condolences and best wishes to others involved, family and friends. Horrible.
Port Talbot Train Accident - Two Railway Workers Killed on 15:39 - Jul 3 with 2484 viewsjackharris

https://news.sky.com/story/two-people-killed-after-being-hit-by-train-near-port-

More details...

Port Talbot Train Accident - Two Railway Workers Killed on 19:51 - Jul 3 with 2275 viewsdickythorpe

Dreadful tragedy. RIP
Login to get fewer ads

Port Talbot Train Accident - Two Railway Workers Killed on 22:43 - Jul 3 with 2099 viewsmajorraglan

Terrible news. RIP. My deepest condolences go out to the families of the deceased and to the driver of the train who will no doubt be very badly traumatised by what happened.

On an aside, I clicked on the Daily Mail link, reading the story and some of the comments, people have down arrowed comments such as “Absolutely dreadful news” etc. What kind of person does that. Beggars belief!! There are some strange people around.
Port Talbot Train Accident - Two Railway Workers Killed on 01:38 - Jul 4 with 1978 viewsDJack

Port Talbot Train Accident - Two Railway Workers Killed on 22:43 - Jul 3 by majorraglan

Terrible news. RIP. My deepest condolences go out to the families of the deceased and to the driver of the train who will no doubt be very badly traumatised by what happened.

On an aside, I clicked on the Daily Mail link, reading the story and some of the comments, people have down arrowed comments such as “Absolutely dreadful news” etc. What kind of person does that. Beggars belief!! There are some strange people around.

Names released...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48862037

A sad day.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Port Talbot Train Accident - Two Railway Workers Killed on 08:11 - Jul 4 with 1857 viewssplJack

Port Talbot Train Accident - Two Railway Workers Killed on 13:32 - Jul 3 by Neath_Jack

Do you work for the HSE?
Port Talbot Train Accident - Two Railway Workers Killed on 11:26 - Jul 4 with 1763 viewsCountyJim

Port Talbot Train Accident - Two Railway Workers Killed on 13:46 - Jul 3 by Darran

Absolutely dreadful news.
Seeing the steelworks there makes me feel queasy too.
So sad.

Absolutely horrible Darran my heart goes out to the families

What I don't get is first reports say they didn't hear the train because of the ear defenders now the ones I used in steelworks apparently you could be next to jet engine and they would protect you and you should be able to hear warning alarms etc which in steelworks is essential working around cranes etc so I can't see how ear defenders are the problem

Surely they should have had a banksman in place
Port Talbot Train Accident - Two Railway Workers Killed on 11:36 - Jul 4 with 1748 viewsraynor94

Port Talbot Train Accident - Two Railway Workers Killed on 11:26 - Jul 4 by CountyJim

Absolutely horrible Darran my heart goes out to the families

What I don't get is first reports say they didn't hear the train because of the ear defenders now the ones I used in steelworks apparently you could be next to jet engine and they would protect you and you should be able to hear warning alarms etc which in steelworks is essential working around cranes etc so I can't see how ear defenders are the problem

Surely they should have had a banksman in place

Agree about the ear defenders , protect the ear, but you can hear what going on around you.

The line should have been shut off with a permit, something gone drastically wrong

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Port Talbot Train Accident - Two Railway Workers Killed on 12:11 - Jul 4 with 1732 viewsCooperman

Port Talbot Train Accident - Two Railway Workers Killed on 11:36 - Jul 4 by raynor94

Agree about the ear defenders , protect the ear, but you can hear what going on around you.

The line should have been shut off with a permit, something gone drastically wrong

I do Swansea to Paddington nearly every week and the one thing that strikes me is the level of Engineering work going on track side; plenty of orange vests within yards of a train travelling in excess of 100 mph. It's not as if this a a line with low traffic levels either as there are hourly express trains in each direction plus other local services and freight movements. Therefore shutting the line down is extremely difficult. The enquiry into this is critical and lessons have to be learned. Such a terrible loss of life for everyone involved and their families.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Port Talbot Train Accident - Two Railway Workers Killed on 12:28 - Jul 4 with 1706 viewsNeath_Jack

Port Talbot Train Accident - Two Railway Workers Killed on 08:11 - Jul 4 by splJack

Do you work for the HSE?

Not directly no.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Port Talbot Train Accident - Two Railway Workers Killed on 07:09 - Jul 5 with 1476 views1983

RIP lads

Having worked in the rail industry since forever and with NR not suspended any work since this awful accident unfortunately does sound (my opinion) that the boys were possibly cutting corners.If they did have protection it would have been LOOKOUT protection which is exactly what it says on the tin you would have one person standing there looking for trains and if they were wearing ear defenders they would be in touching distance from the lookout person,it’s a frustrating
way of working a bit like trying to decorate your living room and having to stop every 10 minutes until the job is finished.There is no room for error in this way of working and it’s designed to keep trains running,passengers happy and fat cat bosses wealthy 🙁

Port Talbot Train Accident - Two Railway Workers Killed on 16:38 - Jul 6 with 1260 viewscontroversial_jack

Just speculating, but wouldn't the supervisors have an idea of the train times and realise one was due at a certain time
Port Talbot Train Accident - Two Railway Workers Killed on 17:18 - Jul 6 with 1227 viewsWingstandwood

Port Talbot Train Accident - Two Railway Workers Killed on 07:09 - Jul 5 by 1983

RIP lads

Having worked in the rail industry since forever and with NR not suspended any work since this awful accident unfortunately does sound (my opinion) that the boys were possibly cutting corners.If they did have protection it would have been LOOKOUT protection which is exactly what it says on the tin you would have one person standing there looking for trains and if they were wearing ear defenders they would be in touching distance from the lookout person,it’s a frustrating
way of working a bit like trying to decorate your living room and having to stop every 10 minutes until the job is finished.There is no room for error in this way of working and it’s designed to keep trains running,passengers happy and fat cat bosses wealthy 🙁

I do not like it when workers/contractors are pressured to cut corners to meet: time targets, tasking targets, completion targets and to work unacceptable hours to meet those targets. More haste less speed.

The way around that, the common sense way around that is to employ more staff, it's not rocket science, but sadly many of the generals hidden away in offices, in reality void parallel universes don't understand that cos they've no experience of actually doing the job themselves. And it's all about profits and profits only.

Argus!

Port Talbot Train Accident - Two Railway Workers Killed on 09:37 - Jul 7 with 1080 viewscontroversial_jack

Port Talbot Train Accident - Two Railway Workers Killed on 17:18 - Jul 6 by Wingstandwood

I do not like it when workers/contractors are pressured to cut corners to meet: time targets, tasking targets, completion targets and to work unacceptable hours to meet those targets. More haste less speed.

The way around that, the common sense way around that is to employ more staff, it's not rocket science, but sadly many of the generals hidden away in offices, in reality void parallel universes don't understand that cos they've no experience of actually doing the job themselves. And it's all about profits and profits only.

It's the same in most industries, cut the staff without cutting the workload and even increase the workload.Management can bring in as many, procedures, permits, risk assessments as they like it all adds to the workload and that's how mistakes occur.Not rocket science is it?
Port Talbot Train Accident - Two Railway Workers Killed on 10:15 - Jul 7 with 1050 viewsWingstandwood

Port Talbot Train Accident - Two Railway Workers Killed on 09:37 - Jul 7 by controversial_jack

It's the same in most industries, cut the staff without cutting the workload and even increase the workload.Management can bring in as many, procedures, permits, risk assessments as they like it all adds to the workload and that's how mistakes occur.Not rocket science is it?

It can be rather ironic at times on many a site i.e. they bang on about health and safety when the site itself is a mad-rush penalty clause joke, severely lacking in man power. And if something like a 135 picker is down, its alternative methods of a bygone era.

Appalling long hours are then required. It's impossible to stay 'switched-on' and constant safety aware under those conditions.

Argus!

Port Talbot Train Accident - Two Railway Workers Killed on 16:12 - Jul 7 with 892 viewswaynekerr55

I did some reading of the links in the BBC app, near misses are on the rise. Some really scary ones like jumping away from an East Coast train with seconds to spare.

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Port Talbot Train Accident - Two Railway Workers Killed on 17:37 - Jul 7 with 839 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Port Talbot Train Accident - Two Railway Workers Killed on 16:12 - Jul 7 by waynekerr55

I did some reading of the links in the BBC app, near misses are on the rise. Some really scary ones like jumping away from an East Coast train with seconds to spare.

There was a programme on some years ago (not sure which channel) which dramatised the roles of several railway workers after privatisation and the changes they were forced into due to their personnel being reduced. That was meant as a warning.

We will have to await the result of an inquest to find the root cause of this terrible tragedy, hopefully steps will be taken to try to stop this from ever happening again.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024