Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Coopie's expertise. 11:01 - Jul 7 with 4978 viewsjackrmee

I remember pointing out when we appointed him that he has been at various seminars and giving speeches to people doing their coaching badges, basically helping teach the new managers etc. about tactics and stuff.
Jasper told me that it wasn't anything special, as they will ask just about anyone to do that and it wasn't because he had any special skills.

I don't know much about that type of thing, so I agreed that could be the case, but still thought there was more to it.

Then I read this new article from Margetson, who talks about the time Cooper was sent out to Russia to advise Southgate and the England coaching team on the Colombia match. (am match England won to take them to the World Cup quarter finals).

“Steve came out to Russia for last year’s World Cup finals and spent a week with the squad out there. He was helping to advise us and did an amazing presentation on opponents Colombia.
“Steve’s reputation throughout the whole of the FA was, and still is, outstanding. When he came out and helped with the senior team in Russia the transition that he made from managing the under-17s was easy for him.
"The presentation he gave to Gareth Southgate and the technical staff was first class.’’

Surely no-one can convince me this time that these things are just random.
The FA must have been wanting him to advise and teach at these things because they new he had what it takes.
Teaching and advising during the coaching badges training is one thing, but being flown out to Russia to advise the national team manager is a major deal and must show that he has some enviable expertise that many people can learn from.

Can only be good for the future of our players.

edit...here's the link to the article https://www.swanseacity.com/news/russia-presentation-left-margetson-sure-cooper-
[Post edited 7 Jul 2019 11:02]

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Coopie's expertise. on 11:02 - Jul 7 with 3611 viewsJBT95

Ultimately the FA are an awful organisation though so don't put too much basis on it.
Coopie's expertise. on 11:04 - Jul 7 with 3604 viewsmonmouth

Well, it seems that the common consensus is that he's good at presentations.

Given all the shit we've been through, I'm waiting until I see what happens on the pitch.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Coopie's expertise. on 11:08 - Jul 7 with 3580 viewsjasper_T

England's national team staff are part time and it's all hands to the pumps during major senior tournaments.

That he did a good job is more significant than that he was asked to do opposition research in the first place.
Coopie's expertise. on 11:11 - Jul 7 with 3563 viewsjackrmee

So what I'm getting so far is that the FA are a piss poor organisation, so needed someone who is amazing at presentations to advise their national team setup, as well as teach their up-n-coming managers and coaches at their coaching schools. It's not significant that the u17 coach is asked to advise them on opposition.

Not convinced. You'll have t work harder than that.
Why are they choosing Coopie for all this advisory work then if there are so many other people around and they aren't really bothered who does it?

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Coopie's expertise. on 11:20 - Jul 7 with 3525 viewsSwanseaman

Coopie's expertise. on 11:11 - Jul 7 by jackrmee

So what I'm getting so far is that the FA are a piss poor organisation, so needed someone who is amazing at presentations to advise their national team setup, as well as teach their up-n-coming managers and coaches at their coaching schools. It's not significant that the u17 coach is asked to advise them on opposition.

Why are they choosing Coopie for all this advisory work then if there are so many other people around and they aren't really bothered who does it?

He mentions about 'Steve’s reputation throughout the whole of the FA was, and still is, outstanding.'

And points out that Steve worked with the full England team, the: ' transition that he made from managing the under-17s was easy for him.'

Steve impressed him so much that when asked to come to Swansea he had no doubts, this says a lot.

Poll: Would you have Jenkins back if he found wealthy oil sheikhs to buy out the Yanks

Coopie's expertise. on 11:27 - Jul 7 with 3490 viewsjasper_T

Coopie's expertise. on 11:11 - Jul 7 by jackrmee

Why did they choose him to only look at the Colombia fixture? Who looked at every other opponent out in Russia? He did a good job by all accounts, don't try to make this something it's not.

Tim Cahill gave a good presentation the other day with the Wales FA coaching badges group. Let's get him in next.
Coopie's expertise. on 11:32 - Jul 7 with 3465 viewsDr_Winston

Coopie's expertise. on 11:04 - Jul 7 by monmouth

Well, it seems that the common consensus is that he's good at presentations.

Given all the shit we've been through, I'm waiting until I see what happens on the pitch.

This.

Plenty of piss poor managers have been excellent at Powerpoint. You can do all the coaching badges you like, pore over stats, numbers and self justifying shit just like it until the cows come home. If you can't read a game, or have an eye for a player, you'll never make it as a manager in your own right.

Paul Clement is a classic example of that. Highly regarded by everyone he's come into contact with. Can't cut it when it's all down to him.

Cooper still has everything to prove.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Coopie's expertise. on 11:34 - Jul 7 with 3460 viewsdickythorpe

It's the players I will be watching. Cooper can give "Churchillian" speeches for all I care but if the players don't want to put the effort in or take to him then it's for nothing.

If you've ever played at any level you will recognise that in any team there are those that don't need much "pep talks" and "buzz words".
They just go out there and play.
[Post edited 7 Jul 2019 11:36]
Login to get fewer ads

Coopie's expertise. on 11:37 - Jul 7 with 3440 viewsMrSwerve

Coopie's expertise. on 11:32 - Jul 7 by Dr_Winston

This.

Plenty of piss poor managers have been excellent at Powerpoint. You can do all the coaching badges you like, pore over stats, numbers and self justifying shit just like it until the cows come home. If you can't read a game, or have an eye for a player, you'll never make it as a manager in your own right.

Paul Clement is a classic example of that. Highly regarded by everyone he's come into contact with. Can't cut it when it's all down to him.

As opposed to our national team manager, who’s shit at powerpoints too.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Coopie's expertise. on 11:46 - Jul 7 with 3405 viewsjackrmee

Coopie's expertise. on 11:27 - Jul 7 by jasper_T

Why did they choose him to only look at the Colombia fixture? Who looked at every other opponent out in Russia? He did a good job by all accounts, don't try to make this something it's not.

Tim Cahill gave a good presentation the other day with the Wales FA coaching badges group. Let's get him in next.

I'm not trying to make it anything it's not, merely trying to find out what it is. Hence the question marks.

SO they just chose someone at random to come and advise the England manager on a last 16 tie at the World Cup Finals?

Coopie's expertise. on 11:48 - Jul 7 with 3392 viewsjackrmee

Coopie's expertise. on 11:32 - Jul 7 by Dr_Winston

This.

I agree he still has everything to prove as a manager, but I want to know what all these people see in him and why he is being chosen for these tasks. No normal U17 coach would be flown out to Russia to advise the senior England manager and squad shirley?

Coopie's expertise. on 11:50 - Jul 7 with 3382 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Coopie's expertise. on 11:46 - Jul 7 by jackrmee

I'm not trying to make it anything it's not, merely trying to find out what it is. Hence the question marks.

SO they just chose someone at random to come and advise the England manager on a last 16 tie at the World Cup Finals?

Random? No. Someone already on the books who had nothing much to do and had experience in scouting foreign international opposition at major international tournaments for England? Yes.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Coopie's expertise. on 11:53 - Jul 7 with 3369 viewsjackrmee

Coopie's expertise. on 11:50 - Jul 7 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Random? No. Someone already on the books who had nothing much to do and had experience in scouting foreign international opposition at major international tournaments for England? Yes.

What about Jasper's questions in that case?

"Why did they choose him to only look at the Colombia fixture? Who looked at every other opponent out in Russia?"

Coopie's expertise. on 11:54 - Jul 7 with 3360 viewsSwanseaman

Coopie's expertise. on 11:46 - Jul 7 by jackrmee

Sounds like he went out there, did really well, managed the adult team easily with an 'amazing presentation' and impressed Margetson so much that he had no doubts to come to swansea.

he also said that: 'you can see the quality already in our sessions so far in pre-season.'

all sounds good so far, will see how the team plays once the season starts.

Poll: Would you have Jenkins back if he found wealthy oil sheikhs to buy out the Yanks

Coopie's expertise. on 12:05 - Jul 7 with 3327 viewsjackrmee

Coopie's expertise. on 11:54 - Jul 7 by Swanseaman

Sounds like he went out there, did really well, managed the adult team easily with an 'amazing presentation' and impressed Margetson so much that he had no doubts to come to swansea.

he also said that: 'you can see the quality already in our sessions so far in pre-season.'

all sounds good so far, will see how the team plays once the season starts.

I agree totally. All sounds really good and it seems like everyone in the know, thinks that Cooper has what it takes.

We've got a very experienced backroom team who all obviously look up to him and trust him, including international and premier league coaches who want to work under him.

I don't think it will be difficult for our players to buy into his philosophies, as although he has no senior experience, there's so many high level people saying so many good things.

Coopie's expertise. on 12:18 - Jul 7 with 3278 viewsSwanseaman

Coopie's expertise. on 12:05 - Jul 7 by jackrmee

I agree totally. All sounds really good and it seems like everyone in the know, thinks that Cooper has what it takes.

We've got a very experienced backroom team who all obviously look up to him and trust him, including international and premier league coaches who want to work under him.

I don't think it will be difficult for our players to buy into his philosophies, as although he has no senior experience, there's so many high level people saying so many good things.

his training sessions so far - from what I've heard - have been really good, and I think the team should be playing well this season. Where we will really find out what Cooper is made of is when things don't go so well, injuries bad luck or whatever and how he deals with this. When the stress is on, how will he handle it.

One boxer will get hurt and become deflated and start to give up (carvalhal), whereas another when they get hurt can make them more dangerous, and the fight is really on (will that be Cooper).

Coopie's expertise. on 12:22 - Jul 7 with 3267 viewsJinxy

I think all would agree he probably has the technical know-how. In his new position, he's the compressible bit - he has to manage players young and old, some with ego's, some with agendas etc.. Then, he has to manage his bosses, deal with financial limitations and pressures, not to mention agents, fans and general club life. It's a very different role, but there is the fact that Messrs Birch, Britton and Curtis clearly have faith. I think he's very close to what we need at this point, we'll see soon enough. He'll get loads of support from us as always.
Coopie's expertise. on 14:18 - Jul 7 with 3000 views34dfgdf54

Coopie's expertise. on 11:34 - Jul 7 by dickythorpe

It's the players I will be watching. Cooper can give "Churchillian" speeches for all I care but if the players don't want to put the effort in or take to him then it's for nothing.

If you've ever played at any level you will recognise that in any team there are those that don't need much "pep talks" and "buzz words".
They just go out there and play.
[Post edited 7 Jul 2019 11:36]

But he will be the first one you turn on.

100%
Coopie's expertise. on 14:41 - Jul 7 with 2941 views34dfgdf54

Coopie's expertise. on 12:18 - Jul 7 by Swanseaman

his training sessions so far - from what I've heard - have been really good, and I think the team should be playing well this season. Where we will really find out what Cooper is made of is when things don't go so well, injuries bad luck or whatever and how he deals with this. When the stress is on, how will he handle it.

One boxer will get hurt and become deflated and start to give up (carvalhal), whereas another when they get hurt can make them more dangerous, and the fight is really on (will that be Cooper).

Not convinced he has the personality or man management to deal with it personally.

*** just a gut feeling
[Post edited 7 Jul 2019 16:10]
Coopie's expertise. on 16:19 - Jul 7 with 2743 viewsdickythorpe

Coopie's expertise. on 14:18 - Jul 7 by 34dfgdf54

100%

Lol! Risca, the players I'll be watching closely early on....I will work out who's got the "guts"......then if we fail to learn from any deficiencies I'll be putting the blame at the guy who picks and trains the team.....
That surely is fair and reasonable??
Coopie's expertise. on 16:20 - Jul 7 with 2742 viewsdickythorpe

Coopie's expertise. on 14:41 - Jul 7 by 34dfgdf54

Not convinced he has the personality or man management to deal with it personally.

*** just a gut feeling
[Post edited 7 Jul 2019 16:10]

Wow!!! So you're not convinced of the boss either????
Coopie's expertise. on 17:36 - Jul 7 with 2610 views34dfgdf54

Coopie's expertise. on 16:20 - Jul 7 by dickythorpe

Wow!!! So you're not convinced of the boss either????

Nope. Wasn’t convinced when we made the appointment and I have the feeling we will lose more players before the start without replacing.

It’s going to be a very, very long season in my opinion and midtable/survival will be more than acceptable until the Americans leave.
Coopie's expertise. on 17:39 - Jul 7 with 2601 viewsmagicdaps10

I guarantee you that if we have a poor start, it will be the yanks who will be turned on first.

This transfer window still has a few stories to run.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Coopie's expertise. on 17:40 - Jul 7 with 2594 views34dfgdf54

Coopie's expertise. on 17:39 - Jul 7 by magicdaps10

I guarantee you that if we have a poor start, it will be the yanks who will be turned on first.

This transfer window still has a few stories to run.

No chance in my opinion.

Cooper will get it both barrels before the yanks.
Coopie's expertise. on 17:52 - Jul 7 with 2559 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Coopie's expertise. on 14:18 - Jul 7 by 34dfgdf54

100%

I’m sure some people out there just want him to fail so they can say “I told you so!”. Fans, eh?

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024