Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Young Starling. 20:45 - Jul 7 with 3881 viewsGaryjack

I've caught a little starling in the garden today, he's trotting around eating and drinking but can't fly as he obviously has a damaged wing. Anyone know what i can do for him? We've all got a soft side and no way can i just leave him as easy prey for a cat, but any advice? Do i bandage his wing up and keep him until he recovers? What do i feed him etc?
Young Starling. on 20:48 - Jul 7 with 2861 viewsexiledclaseboy

There’s a bird hospital in Pennard. We took one there a few years ago when we had a similar issue.

http://gowerbirdhospital.org.uk/default.asp

Poll: Tory leader

Young Starling. on 20:58 - Jul 7 with 2833 viewsGaryjack

Young Starling. on 20:48 - Jul 7 by exiledclaseboy

There’s a bird hospital in Pennard. We took one there a few years ago when we had a similar issue.

Nice one, i'll take him down tomorrow after work. In the meantime i'll just leave him alone not to stress him out.
Young Starling. on 21:00 - Jul 7 with 2825 viewsexiledclaseboy

Young Starling. on 20:58 - Jul 7 by Garyjack

Nice one, i'll take him down tomorrow after work. In the meantime i'll just leave him alone not to stress him out.

They’ll probably take him now if you fancied the drive. It was about this time on a Saturday night when we went.

Young Starling. on 21:03 - Jul 7 with 2817 viewsDarran

Young Starling. on 20:48 - Jul 7 by exiledclaseboy

As most people know I love birds but you need to assess this. If the bird is badly injured it may be better to do the right thing because that’s what they would do down the bird hospital if it’s too badly injured.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Young Starling. on 21:04 - Jul 7 with 2820 viewsdickythorpe

Young Starling. on 21:03 - Jul 7 by Darran

As most people know I love birds but you need to assess this. If the bird is badly injured it may be better to do the right thing because that’s what they would do down the bird hospital if it’s too badly injured.

What would you suggest Dar!?
Young Starling. on 21:06 - Jul 7 with 2808 viewsDarran

Young Starling. on 21:04 - Jul 7 by dickythorpe

What would you suggest Dar!?

If it’s badly injured I’d wring it’s neck. Sound barbaric but it’s not really.

Young Starling. on 21:10 - Jul 7 with 2804 viewsexiledclaseboy

Probably best to leave the decision to people who know what they’re doing.

Young Starling. on 21:13 - Jul 7 with 2797 viewsdickythorpe

Young Starling. on 21:06 - Jul 7 by Darran

If it’s badly injured I’d wring it’s neck. Sound barbaric but it’s not really.

That could take you some time Dar
Login to get fewer ads

Young Starling. on 21:18 - Jul 7 with 2783 viewsDarran

Young Starling. on 21:13 - Jul 7 by dickythorpe

That could take you some time Dar

Nah it’s easy.

Young Starling. on 21:20 - Jul 7 with 2776 viewsDarran

Young Starling. on 21:10 - Jul 7 by exiledclaseboy

Probably best to leave the decision to people who know what they’re doing.

It’s not difficult to assess Andrew. A blackbird flew into our window a few weeks ago. It was obvious to me what needed to be done. Sometimes you’ve got to be cruel to be kind v

Young Starling. on 21:22 - Jul 7 with 2775 viewsGaryjack

Young Starling. on 21:00 - Jul 7 by exiledclaseboy

They’ll probably take him now if you fancied the drive. It was about this time on a Saturday night when we went.

I've had 10 cans of bow and the wife's been at a wedding. We've established it's one wing, ans we've bandaged it up for the night and put him in a box with a towel water and some bread and rice. He seems quite a chirpy little fellow bless him.
Young Starling. on 21:26 - Jul 7 with 2751 viewslonglostjack

Young Starling. on 21:22 - Jul 7 by Garyjack

I've had 10 cans of bow and the wife's been at a wedding. We've established it's one wing, ans we've bandaged it up for the night and put him in a box with a towel water and some bread and rice. He seems quite a chirpy little fellow bless him.

👍 Not stressed with mouth open then? Make sure the room is dark.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Young Starling. on 21:30 - Jul 7 with 2735 viewsGaryjack

Young Starling. on 21:26 - Jul 7 by longlostjack

👍 Not stressed with mouth open then? Make sure the room is dark.

He ate a grain of rice from my hand and i've put him in the shed for the night.
Young Starling. on 21:34 - Jul 7 with 2710 viewsDarran

Young Starling. on 21:22 - Jul 7 by Garyjack

Quiet night is it?

Young Starling. on 21:46 - Jul 7 with 2690 viewsGaryjack

Young Starling. on 21:34 - Jul 7 by Darran

Quiet night is it?

It ain't over yet!
Young Starling. on 21:57 - Jul 7 with 2666 viewslifelong

Darran is, of course, correct.
Young Starling. on 21:59 - Jul 7 with 2657 viewsDarran

Young Starling. on 21:57 - Jul 7 by lifelong

Darran is, of course, correct.

Thank you Rog. 🙌🏻

Young Starling. on 22:10 - Jul 7 with 2643 viewsThrasher6

Very little can be done tbh...most get put down. But good on you for trying. We live on the sixth floor in Gib and one day I found a young starling (but still a sizeable bird) under my quilt in the bedroom. It was unreal. It was in shock I think ( I was as well) and I had no trouble picking it up. Me and missus checked it out..it seemed uninjured. We put it on the bedroom window sill and off it flew. Bizarre event.

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Young Starling. on 00:31 - Jul 8 with 2582 viewsjackrmee

Young Starling. on 22:10 - Jul 7 by Thrasher6

Very little can be done tbh...most get put down. But good on you for trying. We live on the sixth floor in Gib and one day I found a young starling (but still a sizeable bird) under my quilt in the bedroom. It was unreal. It was in shock I think ( I was as well) and I had no trouble picking it up. Me and missus checked it out..it seemed uninjured. We put it on the bedroom window sill and off it flew. Bizarre event.

That's fuking mad!
Shock by fuk!

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Young Starling. on 07:28 - Jul 8 with 2463 viewsAlberto_Swinglehurst

How does one know how to bandage a young starlings wing?
Young Starling. on 08:00 - Jul 8 with 2441 viewsLeonWasGod

Young Starling. on 07:28 - Jul 8 by Alberto_Swinglehurst

How does one know how to bandage a young starlings wing?

I imagine that’s a unique talent that can only be provided by 10 cans of Strongbow!
Young Starling. on 08:19 - Jul 8 with 2438 viewsVetchfielder

Young Starling. on 21:20 - Jul 7 by Darran

It’s not difficult to assess Andrew. A blackbird flew into our window a few weeks ago. It was obvious to me what needed to be done. Sometimes you’ve got to be cruel to be kind v

Being a bird lover, I'm sure you know this Darran , but for others who don't :-

We get loads of birds fly into our windows, it's about 1 a day at the moment, yesterday we had two. However, 99% of those just get concussed, sit there thinking WTF for a few minutes and then fly off. We have gone out to keep an eye on them a few times just to make sure a cat doesn't them while they are recovering. So most will just fly off given a bit of time.

In the last 3 years since we've been in our current house we've "only" lost 2 birds from flying into our windows.

If I was a bird I'd stay well away from our house. Seems like the windows configuration and light angles makes it a massive danger zone.

Proud to have been one of the 231

Young Starling. on 18:00 - Jul 8 with 2270 viewsjack2jack

Update on your feathered friend Gaz👍
Young Starling. on 18:25 - Jul 8 with 2250 viewsunion_jack

My wife took a crow chick to the Hospital in Pennard on Saturday. We’ve got quite a few nesting with us and they’re noisy buggers to say the least!

She was told that the bird will probably recover and be released but they also said that people are bringing in lots of baby gulls. People are picking them up thinking they’re discarded by the mother or injured but they are actually fed on the ground so there’s nothing wrong with them.

A bit of info for anyone who comes across such a scenario! Just leave them there.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Young Starling. on 18:37 - Jul 8 with 2238 viewsWarwickHunt

Young Starling. on 22:10 - Jul 7 by Thrasher6

That wasn’t my missus’s reaction when she found a bird under our duvet...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024