Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bike commuters 16:30 - Jul 8 with 3535 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

Any cyclists out there who cycle to work and back?

Looking for recommendations for kit, bag for work clothes etc and anything I haven’t thought of yet

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

Bike commuters on 17:28 - Jul 8 with 3493 viewsBatterseajack

Couple of questions before getting started...How far will you be commuting? Is it hilly? Will you be going on dry days only, or even when its raining? Do you have shower / changing facilities at work?

I commute between 70 and 100 miles a week on my bike. I generally don't bother with full waterproofs as they never really keep the rain out and they make you sweat. For wet days i have a soft shell water resistant jacket that keeps the rain off for about an hour, just long enough to get to work. I also have some neoprene overshoes which keep the water out for about 10 mins, but keep your feet comfortable when wet. Mudguards and lights are essential along with a waterproof bag for your work clothes.
Bike commuters on 17:37 - Jul 8 with 3487 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

Bike commuters on 17:28 - Jul 8 by Batterseajack

Couple of questions before getting started...How far will you be commuting? Is it hilly? Will you be going on dry days only, or even when its raining? Do you have shower / changing facilities at work?

I commute between 70 and 100 miles a week on my bike. I generally don't bother with full waterproofs as they never really keep the rain out and they make you sweat. For wet days i have a soft shell water resistant jacket that keeps the rain off for about an hour, just long enough to get to work. I also have some neoprene overshoes which keep the water out for about 10 mins, but keep your feet comfortable when wet. Mudguards and lights are essential along with a waterproof bag for your work clothes.

Distance is probably 15 miles per day. Mostly flat-ish.
Going to start when weather is nice and when only an odd shower. Hopefully to build up to doing it everyday. I have access to showers near work

So far I have only bought shorts and nothing else

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

Bike commuters on 17:41 - Jul 8 with 3483 viewsWingstandwood

If it comes to upcoming more wet and wintery cycling months? About 15 years back I bought a pair of waterproof Peter Storm trousers from Millets, I still have them. They were comfortable, breathable, lightweight and moveable when cycling but could be a little suspect on that very rare occasion when the skies opened up with an absolute torrential prolonged downpour. That once in a blue moon weather occurence aside they were great and 100% waterproof in sustained light-medium, non torrential heavy and short span torrential showers.

The thick yellow plastic type of waterproofing you tend to see construction/road workers is great waterproof wise but an absolute mare when it comes to breathability and comfort. It makes cycling harder, uncomfortable and you'll get off a bike drenched soaking in sweat.

Super expensive Gore Tex is the best, but apparently loses effectiveness over time. Be careful regarding washing detergents, chemicals, cement, or washing powder that have extremely negative effect on its waterproof ability. I tried to wash away dirt on a Gore Tex jacket and I ruined it. I think there may be specific cleaning products available, they were available a few years back. Military surplus Gore Tex can be vastly cheaper for the lesser fussy.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2019 17:53]

Argus!

Bike commuters on 17:49 - Jul 8 with 3463 viewssherpajacob

Bike commuters on 17:37 - Jul 8 by PatchesOHoulihan

Going to start when weather is nice and when only an odd shower. Hopefully to build up to doing it everyday. I have access to showers near work

if possible store/keep what you need for work at work.

Whatever clothes you wear at work, store in locker/ cupboard, keep a washbag/shower gel with it, so you don't have this carry this stuff back and forth.

it requires a little thinking ahead in terms of what days you'll be cycling in

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Bike commuters on 17:54 - Jul 8 with 3454 viewsLeonWasGod

A bike might be handy too

If you’re starting in fair weather, you probably only need a t-shirt/bike top, long sleeved skin or a light thermal for when it’s a bit cooler and a thin showerproof/windproof top. I’d second mudguards- they make a big difference on wet days. If you’re going to avoid wet days, at least to begin with, then no rush on those.

I use a rucsac (any old one).
Bike commuters on 19:36 - Jul 8 with 3376 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

Bike commuters on 17:54 - Jul 8 by LeonWasGod

A bike might be handy too

If you’re starting in fair weather, you probably only need a t-shirt/bike top, long sleeved skin or a light thermal for when it’s a bit cooler and a thin showerproof/windproof top. I’d second mudguards- they make a big difference on wet days. If you’re going to avoid wet days, at least to begin with, then no rush on those.

I use a rucsac (any old one).

Thanks for the advice,

Hoping for some good weather to get away without buying much to start with

Bike commuters on 20:05 - Jul 8 with 3347 viewsswan85

I do 12 miles each way most days, my recommendation, mud guards and panniers, I think you enjoy it more without a rucksack on and the sweat from the straps, although you still sweat I hate the feel of it on the back. I wear endura hummvee shorts with padded leggings inside looking less like a MAMIL, Lidl Aldi gloves particularly for winter, and a high viz in winter. Make sure the light you get a re usb chargeable, most are too much faff with batteries. Good luck
Bike commuters on 20:40 - Jul 8 with 3323 viewsJFSwan

Think tactically.
Leave as much of your work clothes at work as you can.

Leave with plenty of time as some mornings you will have little energy and may face head winds.

Also , drivers at 5pm are not the type to wait patiently behind so dont be afraid to dominate the road at pinch points. Take the whole lane at round about and make eye contact with drivers, make sure you are seen.
Login to get fewer ads

Bike commuters on 20:49 - Jul 8 with 3311 viewsNeath_Jack

Make sure you buy one of those race replica jerseys, with sponsors names all over it. They make you pedal much faster apparently.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Bike commuters on 22:04 - Jul 8 with 3242 viewssherpajacob

Bike commuters on 20:40 - Jul 8 by JFSwan

Think tactically.
Leave as much of your work clothes at work as you can.

Leave with plenty of time as some mornings you will have little energy and may face head winds.

Also , drivers at 5pm are not the type to wait patiently behind so dont be afraid to dominate the road at pinch points. Take the whole lane at round about and make eye contact with drivers, make sure you are seen.

I always made sure I made good eye contact with drivers.

Particularly those that felt the inescapable urge to get past me at pinch points. I would give them a good knowing look as I passed them a few seconds later at the lights.

Bike commuters on 22:11 - Jul 8 with 3236 viewsMuteswan

Don’t forget to use all cycle paths provided for you, at huge expense, to keep yourself safe while you cycle. Also wear a camera on your helmet so you can prove you never ride on pavements or through red traffic lights to avoid having to stop. If you ride with other cyclists remember to ride taking up as much of the lane as possible so those nasty car drivers have to drive at your pace because they don’t have the luxury of having a path specially provided for them. Seriously though most of all, be safe, wear bright, reflective clothes and don’t listen to the abuse shouted at you by other road users. Enjoy the rain. 😉
Bike commuters on 22:17 - Jul 8 with 3223 viewssherpajacob

Bike commuters on 22:11 - Jul 8 by Muteswan

Don’t forget to use all cycle paths provided for you, at huge expense, to keep yourself safe while you cycle. Also wear a camera on your helmet so you can prove you never ride on pavements or through red traffic lights to avoid having to stop. If you ride with other cyclists remember to ride taking up as much of the lane as possible so those nasty car drivers have to drive at your pace because they don’t have the luxury of having a path specially provided for them. Seriously though most of all, be safe, wear bright, reflective clothes and don’t listen to the abuse shouted at you by other road users. Enjoy the rain. 😉

Or you could just take your car and take up a lot more space on the road, cause greater road congestion, increase pollution and greater costs to the NHS through obesity and poor health.

Bike commuters on 22:41 - Jul 8 with 3190 viewsMuteswan

Bike commuters on 22:17 - Jul 8 by sherpajacob

Or you could just take your car and take up a lot more space on the road, cause greater road congestion, increase pollution and greater costs to the NHS through obesity and poor health.

I’m not suggesting not to cycle, just to think that car drivers are not “the enemy” they also have to put up with idiot drivers as well. With regard to the pollution, if you stop aeroplanes flying the pollution levels would drop dramatically but that’s not going to happen either. I’m afraid cars are here to stay, also lorries and buses, so hopefully the manufacturers of these vehicles are able to reduce pollution levels.
Bike commuters on 01:48 - Jul 9 with 3144 viewsbuilthjack

Can you cycle people please go single file, not side by side having a chat whilst crawling along. Thanks.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Bike commuters on 09:23 - Jul 9 with 3047 viewsAlfieMooresSon

Practice the one fingered salute, you'll need it at least twice a day, while some thick tw4t thinks it's funny to skim passed you!
[Post edited 9 Jul 2019 9:23]
Bike commuters on 11:31 - Jul 9 with 3011 viewsJack_y_Jwc

padded shorts or normal shorts? Make sure you get padded ones, it'll take a few days for for your arse to get used to the pounding (if you pardon the phrase)

Bike commuters on 22:02 - Jul 15 with 2800 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

Bike commuters on 11:31 - Jul 9 by Jack_y_Jwc

padded shorts or normal shorts? Make sure you get padded ones, it'll take a few days for for your arse to get used to the pounding (if you pardon the phrase)

Haha yes padded ones - I remember the suffering last time I tried

Bike commuters on 08:17 - Jul 16 with 2745 viewsraynor94

Bike commuters on 20:49 - Jul 8 by Neath_Jack

Make sure you buy one of those race replica jerseys, with sponsors names all over it. They make you pedal much faster apparently.

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Bike commuters on 09:19 - Jul 16 with 2716 viewsBatterseajack

Bike commuters on 20:49 - Jul 8 by Neath_Jack

Because its true...

Hammond said Pearl’s Speed Jersey saved about 20 watts at typical race speeds of about 30mph over a normal jersey, and the race suits are more than 30 watts faster. “Of course, the higher the speeds the higher the savings”

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/tunnel-testing-clothing-pearl-izumis-ongoing-

I might invest a couple of hundred quid in a tight fitting skin suit next season
Bike commuters on 09:32 - Jul 16 with 2708 viewsraynor94

Bike commuters on 09:19 - Jul 16 by Batterseajack

Because its true...

Hammond said Pearl’s Speed Jersey saved about 20 watts at typical race speeds of about 30mph over a normal jersey, and the race suits are more than 30 watts faster. “Of course, the higher the speeds the higher the savings”

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/tunnel-testing-clothing-pearl-izumis-ongoing-

I might invest a couple of hundred quid in a tight fitting skin suit next season

They look great on 16 stone individuals

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Bike commuters on 00:11 - Jul 18 with 2587 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

Bike commuters on 09:32 - Jul 16 by raynor94

They look great on 16 stone individuals

Excellent I’ll get some

When does the ass pain stop? 3 days in and constantly feel like I need a shit

Bike commuters on 06:09 - Jul 18 with 2543 viewsPacemaker

Bike commuters on 00:11 - Jul 18 by PatchesOHoulihan

Excellent I’ll get some

When does the ass pain stop? 3 days in and constantly feel like I need a shit

Commute about 45 miles a day round trip 2 or 3 times a week, make sure your seat is set at correct height, you have a decent set of cycling shorts or cycling short inners so you have a bit of support and try a bit of chamois cream. ( Anti friction which is nice)

The rest of it is all about organisation in getting stuff set up in work with clothes held there rather than carrying back and fore. I travel A48 in morning but country lanes on way back as it’s too busy commuting on those roads in evening.

I never use cycle paths as I am going too fast and I don’t jump read lights although I get to the front if I can and I am pushing off as soon as they turn. As for many of the other comments here most drivers need to have a look at the Highway Code again and some cyclists do need to be more considerate.

I love cycling and have gained a lot from it mentally, physically and socially. Keep it up.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Bike commuters on 08:10 - Jul 18 with 2497 viewsSwanDownUnder

I'd buy a bike next.
Bike commuters on 22:00 - Jul 19 with 2347 viewsinspector

lots of high vis clothes for the winter.

waterproof bag is a must, especially if you're carrying around a laptop.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024