Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tour de France 15:25 - Jul 12 with 15461 viewsPegojack

No thread yet, boys and girls?

I thought Geraint looked very strong yesterday on the first proper mountain stage. The rest of Ineos looked a bit flakey, though, could be an issue later on.

Coverage on ITV4 is good as always, and the French tv live shots, high up over the scenery and down and dirty on the road, is as compulsive as usual.
Tour de France on 19:35 - Jul 18 with 2044 viewsmajorraglan

Tour de France on 19:57 - Jul 16 by sherpajacob

Moving tribute to Paul Sherwin by Phil Ligget on ITV4.

One of the great commentary teams in any sport.

We are just over the halfway point on Geraint Thomas is in second place 1 min 12 seconds behind the leader, given the way things work with 10 competitive stages left do people think he can close the gap and take the yellow jersey?
Tour de France on 19:45 - Jul 18 with 2034 viewsbluey_the_blue

Tour de France on 19:35 - Jul 18 by majorraglan

We are just over the halfway point on Geraint Thomas is in second place 1 min 12 seconds behind the leader, given the way things work with 10 competitive stages left do people think he can close the gap and take the yellow jersey?

I'm more interested in seeing Bernal in the mountains tbh.
Tour de France on 19:52 - Jul 18 with 2026 viewsPegojack

Barring a crash or mechanical, I'd say he's in the driving seat at the moment.
Tour de France on 21:01 - Jul 18 with 1995 viewsCooperman

Time trial tomorrow and that should allow GT to close the gap on the Frenchman. It then gets really serious with the Col du Tourmalet on the horizon and that’s going to shape of things without any shadow of doubt.

I think the biggest rival to Thomas comes from within in the form of Bernal and I can’t believe that there are team orders in place that force Bernal to support Thomas.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2019 21:13]

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Tour de France on 23:12 - Jul 18 with 1957 viewsBytholWyn

Tour de France on 21:01 - Jul 18 by Cooperman

Time trial tomorrow and that should allow GT to close the gap on the Frenchman. It then gets really serious with the Col du Tourmalet on the horizon and that’s going to shape of things without any shadow of doubt.

I think the biggest rival to Thomas comes from within in the form of Bernal and I can’t believe that there are team orders in place that force Bernal to support Thomas.

If Thomas gets a big advantage over Bernal tomorrow's time trial that should establish Thomas as the clear team leader.
Tour de France on 17:21 - Jul 19 with 1875 viewsPacemaker

Tour de France on 21:01 - Jul 18 by Cooperman

Shock result today Thomas was expecting a big win today. Alaphilippe looking strong but with no support makes for a very interesting tour.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Tour de France on 17:48 - Jul 19 with 1865 viewsProfessor

Tour de France on 17:21 - Jul 19 by Pacemaker

Shock result today Thomas was expecting a big win today. Alaphilippe looking strong but with no support makes for a very interesting tour.

Remarkable from Alaphilippe, but still a good day for G over other GC contenders. I wonder how much Alaphilippe and Quickstep will have in the tank when Movistar and Ineos put the pressure on tomorrow. There is some seriously tough climbing this week
Tour de France on 18:10 - Jul 19 with 1847 viewsPacemaker

Tour de France on 17:48 - Jul 19 by Professor

Remarkable from Alaphilippe, but still a good day for G over other GC contenders. I wonder how much Alaphilippe and Quickstep will have in the tank when Movistar and Ineos put the pressure on tomorrow. There is some seriously tough climbing this week

Best tour for years, as much as I want Thomas to win the tension will be unbearable if Alaphilippe just hangs onto the Ineos train to Paris.

Login to get fewer ads

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:19 - Jul 19 with 1841 viewsBatterseajack

Tour de France on 18:38 - Jul 19 with 1826 viewsbluey_the_blue

I'm interested in Bernal against Thomas in the climbs.
Tour de France on 19:28 - Jul 19 with 1813 viewsBrynCartwright

Tour de France on 18:38 - Jul 19 by bluey_the_blue

I'm interested in Bernal against Thomas in the climbs.

Adam Yates is also a supreme climber but at nearly 4 mins back will need a miracle to beat the Ineos/ Brailsford machine. Tomorrow will be a big day, and expect Ineos to be cycling hard up that big beast.

Alaphillipe having an amazing tour, won the Tour of Britain last year and quite understandably the French public are ecstatic. Seems like a decent guy as well.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Tour de France on 19:48 - Jul 19 with 1797 viewsPegojack

Tour de France on 19:28 - Jul 19 by BrynCartwright

Adam Yates is also a supreme climber but at nearly 4 mins back will need a miracle to beat the Ineos/ Brailsford machine. Tomorrow will be a big day, and expect Ineos to be cycling hard up that big beast.

Alaphillipe having an amazing tour, won the Tour of Britain last year and quite understandably the French public are ecstatic. Seems like a decent guy as well.

Yes, it"s going to be fascinating tomorrow. I confess I've underestimated Alaphillipe so far, but has he got it in the legs when Ineos put the hammer down on the Tormalet?
Tour de France on 20:01 - Jul 19 with 1788 viewsCooperman

Tour de France on 19:48 - Jul 19 by Pegojack

Yes, it"s going to be fascinating tomorrow. I confess I've underestimated Alaphillipe so far, but has he got it in the legs when Ineos put the hammer down on the Tormalet?

Same here, I never expected that from him today. Far from a disaster for GT though.

An absolutely gripping day awaits tomorrow.

Tour de France on 20:21 - Jul 19 with 1777 viewsProfessor

Tour de France on 20:01 - Jul 19 by Cooperman

Same here, I never expected that from him today. Far from a disaster for GT though.

An absolutely gripping day awaits tomorrow.

Absolutely.
Alaphilippe is going to have to fight exceptionally strong climbing teams in Ineos and Movistar. Ineos have at least three guys to expend on early climbs as well a Poels and Bernal to pull up the cat 1 and HCs. If he wins good on him, though will be backing G
Tour de France on 22:56 - Jul 19 with 1700 viewsJackSomething

Tour de France on 20:21 - Jul 19 by Professor

Absolutely.
Alaphilippe is going to have to fight exceptionally strong climbing teams in Ineos and Movistar. Ineos have at least three guys to expend on early climbs as well a Poels and Bernal to pull up the cat 1 and HCs. If he wins good on him, though will be backing G

I've got to be honest, despite Thomas being there, I'm starting to root for Alaphilippe.

Team Sky/Ineos have dominated in recent years and I'd probably hate it were it not for them giving us British winners. To see someone break that dominance with nothing like the team support his rivals have would be pretty amazing.

Also while some of the treatment that Sky/Ineos riders have endured from the French public has been very disappointing, I'd be happy for the vast majority of French cycling fans to have a French winner again.

I'd still put money on Geraint at this point though.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Tour de France on 01:50 - Jul 20 with 1661 viewsBrynCartwright

Tour de France on 22:56 - Jul 19 by JackSomething

I've got to be honest, despite Thomas being there, I'm starting to root for Alaphilippe.

Team Sky/Ineos have dominated in recent years and I'd probably hate it were it not for them giving us British winners. To see someone break that dominance with nothing like the team support his rivals have would be pretty amazing.

Also while some of the treatment that Sky/Ineos riders have endured from the French public has been very disappointing, I'd be happy for the vast majority of French cycling fans to have a French winner again.

Alaphilippe has cycled very well.

Now Dave B will wind up the Team Ineos elastic bands to eleventy and instruct them to just blow away all opposition..

Hope so anyway

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Tour de France on 08:26 - Jul 20 with 1603 viewsCooperman

Tour de France on 22:56 - Jul 19 by JackSomething

I’ll support Ineos for as long as they have a British rider at the helm and then move on from there when they don’t.

If Alaphilipe does cave in I hope the French public take umbrage and douse him in gallons of their own pi55 and phlegm.

I’m supporting GT all the way to the finish.

Tour de France on 09:10 - Jul 20 with 1586 viewsSPboy

Tour de France on 08:26 - Jul 20 by Cooperman

I’ll support Ineos for as long as they have a British rider at the helm and then move on from there when they don’t.

If Alaphilipe does cave in I hope the French public take umbrage and douse him in gallons of their own pi55 and phlegm.

I’ll be supporting GT all the way, not getting a fraction of the plaudits that he would get if he was from over the border. I just love watching Alaphilippe too, good to see an attacking rider blowing the field apart. He can’t be discounted & GT has a massive task ahead to get that time back. Bernal has a huge role to play now with Poels over the next week. Team Ineos need to hold their nerve big time
Tour de France on 09:22 - Jul 20 with 1579 viewsSPboy

Tour de France on 08:26 - Jul 20 by Cooperman

I’ll be supporting GT all the way, not getting a fraction of the plaudits that he would get if he was from over the border. I just love watching Alaphilippe too, good to see an attacking rider blowing the field apart. He can’t be discounted & GT has a massive task ahead to get that time back. Bernal has a huge role to play now with Poels over the next week. Team Ineos need to hold their nerve big time
Tour de France on 12:45 - Jul 20 with 1549 viewsbluey_the_blue

Got a feeling Bernal will take it today.

Thomas is of course good,but Bernal is the future. Froome and Thomas both knocking on a bit - if Bernal is close to Thomas final week, feeling great and in good form, he get the team backing.

You don't risk a quality rider like Bernal who can be the cornerstone for the next decade leaving due to not being backed.
Tour de France on 17:00 - Jul 20 with 1492 viewsCooperman

Absolutely gripping stuff (I chose the cycling over the footy this afternoon).

I didn’t see anything in Alaphilipe today that tells me that he’s going to succumb to Thomas and if form continues tomorrow across three Cat 1’s then Bernal might overtake Thomas.

My plan for next Sunday involves an early morning coffee in Tarbes from where I’ll retrace today’s route up the western ascent of the Tourmalet by sunrise (all by car of course). Then down the other side and back to base in time for the final stage.

Tour de France on 17:31 - Jul 20 with 1462 viewsProfessor

Tour de France on 17:00 - Jul 20 by Cooperman

I didn’t see anything in Alaphilipe today that tells me that he’s going to succumb to Thomas and if form continues tomorrow across three Cat 1’s then Bernal might overtake Thomas.

My plan for next Sunday involves an early morning coffee in Tarbes from where I’ll retrace today’s route up the western ascent of the Tourmalet by sunrise (all by car of course). Then down the other side and back to base in time for the final stage.

He looked strong and the sharp final kilometres did not suit G with his Diesel engine. Still plenty of brutal stages to come. The only definitive thing today is that Quintana and Yates are
Not contenders and that Movistar are still tactically inept.
Tour de France on 17:39 - Jul 20 with 1459 viewsPacemaker

Tour de France on 17:00 - Jul 20 by Cooperman

I thought that Alaphilippe looked strong, I think he may just do it unless Ineos change tactics and try and stretch him all day. Bernal needed to have gone earlier to try and see who had what left in the tank.

I do wonder if Thomas has it in him having missed so many tours this year. It is still a great Tour though with everything to play for but it is a hell of a lead at the moment.

Tour de France on 19:11 - Jul 20 with 1412 viewsCooperman

Tour de France on 17:39 - Jul 20 by Pacemaker

I thought that Alaphilippe looked strong, I think he may just do it unless Ineos change tactics and try and stretch him all day. Bernal needed to have gone earlier to try and see who had what left in the tank.

I do wonder if Thomas has it in him having missed so many tours this year. It is still a great Tour though with everything to play for but it is a hell of a lead at the moment.

You might be right. He hasn’t got much team support but the he didn’t seem to need it. I think the Ineos tacticians will be working flat out this evening in an attempt to devise a master plan for tomorrow.

Tour de France on 19:13 - Jul 20 with 1409 viewsPegojack

Fascinating stage today and, contrary to expectation, Ineos never had Alaphilipe in trouble, quite the reverse in fact. I know there's still a long way to go, but I fear G doesn't have it in the tank this year. If not, it's still hell of an achievement to win a Tour and have your name go down in history.
Interesting to see if Bernal can step up to the mark this year, though.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2019 22:59]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024