Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tour de France 15:25 - Jul 12 with 15435 viewsPegojack

No thread yet, boys and girls?

I thought Geraint looked very strong yesterday on the first proper mountain stage. The rest of Ineos looked a bit flakey, though, could be an issue later on.

Coverage on ITV4 is good as always, and the French tv live shots, high up over the scenery and down and dirty on the road, is as compulsive as usual.
Tour de France on 22:46 - Jul 21 with 1830 viewsCooperman

I was given orders today so missed the live shows but since caught up with the highlights. This is very difficult to call from here and for all the strength of Alaphilipe he might be left wanting for a decent team mate or two; that’s a very strong point for Ineos and Jumbo Visma on the other hand. Five competitive stages to go...

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Tour de France on 07:30 - Jul 22 with 1748 viewsPegojack

Tour de France on 22:46 - Jul 21 by Cooperman

I was given orders today so missed the live shows but since caught up with the highlights. This is very difficult to call from here and for all the strength of Alaphilipe he might be left wanting for a decent team mate or two; that’s a very strong point for Ineos and Jumbo Visma on the other hand. Five competitive stages to go...

I think you're right about Alaphilipe's lack of team support, that could be a key factor. It's certainly wide open this year, though, and all the better for it. G looked stronger yesterday, but so did two or three others. It could all be decided by seconds at the end of the competition. Fascinating stuff.
Tour de France on 08:48 - Jul 22 with 1726 viewsbluey_the_blue

Tour de France on 07:30 - Jul 22 by Pegojack

I think you're right about Alaphilipe's lack of team support, that could be a key factor. It's certainly wide open this year, though, and all the better for it. G looked stronger yesterday, but so did two or three others. It could all be decided by seconds at the end of the competition. Fascinating stuff.

Alaphilipe will try to act as a magpie, getting into the train of other teams. The final part of the climb aided G, Team Ineos haven't looked as dominant controlling the race which is what he needs.

At this point, they have to go behind Bernal. He looks fresher and and a better climber than G.
Tour de France on 09:36 - Jul 22 with 1705 viewsBatterseajack

Cracking weekend in the tour!

Can't remember the yellow jersey ever being this open, anyone out of about 6 riders could win it from here on in. Can't believe Alaphilippe has kept it together this far and lost only a tiny bit of time yesterday. Is he due a big capitulation in the Alpes, similar to how Yates road to a standstill on the penultimate stage of the giro last year whilst in pink?

Pinot's in with a big shout right now.

But then Ineos/sky always talk about getting stronger as the tour goes on, so maybe G / Bernal will have a strong final week. They need their domestic's to get their act together though.

Lotto-jumbo looking strong riding like a train up the mountains.
Tour de France on 09:52 - Jul 22 with 1698 viewsBatterseajack

A great watch this..

Tour de France on 10:39 - Jul 22 with 1678 viewsBrynCartwright

Tour de France on 09:36 - Jul 22 by Batterseajack

Cracking weekend in the tour!

Can't remember the yellow jersey ever being this open, anyone out of about 6 riders could win it from here on in. Can't believe Alaphilippe has kept it together this far and lost only a tiny bit of time yesterday. Is he due a big capitulation in the Alpes, similar to how Yates road to a standstill on the penultimate stage of the giro last year whilst in pink?

Pinot's in with a big shout right now.

But then Ineos/sky always talk about getting stronger as the tour goes on, so maybe G / Bernal will have a strong final week. They need their domestic's to get their act together though.

Lotto-jumbo looking strong riding like a train up the mountains.

I just hope the Ineos Domestiques' apparent weaknesses this week is because Rowe, Pouls, Kwiatkowski et al are reserving energy for a massive Alps push.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Tour de France on 10:56 - Jul 22 with 1671 viewsBatterseajack

Tour de France on 10:39 - Jul 22 by BrynCartwright

I just hope the Ineos Domestiques' apparent weaknesses this week is because Rowe, Pouls, Kwiatkowski et al are reserving energy for a massive Alps push.

You can excuse Rowe for dropping off in the mountains, but Pouls and Kiwatkowski are there to dominate the climbs and they mostly disappeared on the weekend when needed. Especially weird after the show of strength on friday with Rowe and the sky team taking the peloton over the final climb.

Somethings not right.
Tour de France on 19:38 - Jul 22 with 1624 viewsPacemaker

Tour de France on 10:56 - Jul 22 by Batterseajack

You can excuse Rowe for dropping off in the mountains, but Pouls and Kiwatkowski are there to dominate the climbs and they mostly disappeared on the weekend when needed. Especially weird after the show of strength on friday with Rowe and the sky team taking the peloton over the final climb.

Somethings not right.

It sounds as if there has been a health issue with Pouls, I heard an interview with Brailsford and Thomas on Bespoked today and it sounded like Pouls has been ill.

I got the distinct impression that there has been a bug or something, Thomas said in the interview at halfway yesterday he didn’t know if he felt right but then got a second wind on the last climb and felt strong.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Login to get fewer ads

Tour de France on 19:46 - Jul 22 with 1615 viewsbluey_the_blue

Tour de France on 19:38 - Jul 22 by Pacemaker

It sounds as if there has been a health issue with Pouls, I heard an interview with Brailsford and Thomas on Bespoked today and it sounded like Pouls has been ill.

I got the distinct impression that there has been a bug or something, Thomas said in the interview at halfway yesterday he didn’t know if he felt right but then got a second wind on the last climb and felt strong.

Thomas has done little serious racing this season. He's a one and done TDF winner, a super domestique who last year had the backing of the dominant team.

2000m of climbs final week, heatwave in France, Bernal has to be odds on favourite.
Tour de France on 20:53 - Jul 22 with 1588 viewsCooperman

Tour de France on 19:46 - Jul 22 by bluey_the_blue

Thomas has done little serious racing this season. He's a one and done TDF winner, a super domestique who last year had the backing of the dominant team.

2000m of climbs final week, heatwave in France, Bernal has to be odds on favourite.

Do you want Bernal to win?

Tour de France on 23:11 - Jul 22 with 1530 viewsBrynCartwright

Tour de France on 19:46 - Jul 22 by bluey_the_blue

For a Cardiff guy to support someone from Colombia rather than a bloke from his own city just demonstrates what an oddball you really are. Very odd.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Tour de France on 09:12 - Jul 23 with 1479 viewsBatterseajack

If Geraint doesn't win, it would be good to see one of the Frenchies get it. Hasn;t been a french winner since the 80's, this will be huge for them.

But can you just imagine what would happen to Geraint, if Pinot's in yellow, and Geraint attacks him on the final climb up to Val Thorens, I think he'll literally get taken out.
Tour de France on 10:21 - Jul 23 with 1438 viewsbluey_the_blue

Tour de France on 20:53 - Jul 22 by Cooperman

Do you want Bernal to win?

I want the best rider to win.
Tour de France on 10:25 - Jul 23 with 1437 viewsbluey_the_blue

Tour de France on 23:11 - Jul 22 by BrynCartwright

For a Cardiff guy to support someone from Colombia rather than a bloke from his own city just demonstrates what an oddball you really are. Very odd.

Bernal is a real mountain climber. G needs a dominant team to carry him.

You might blindly follow someone from same city, like it or not, Bernal is a far better rider. The final week favours him and he's not been blown up unlike G.

Like it or not, I absolutely love the mountain guys. The true competitors.
Tour de France on 11:00 - Jul 23 with 1426 viewsCooperman

Tour de France on 10:21 - Jul 23 by bluey_the_blue

I want the best rider to win.

Ok now I understand. I sensed that you were supporting Bernal but couldn’t fathom why this would be the case over our local favourite.

I’ve got a slightly different view in that I want our local favourite to win purely because he is just that. I’d still be rooting for him even if he was mid peloton.

The ‘best’ rider is hard to define as the event covers multiple facets of endurance, climbing, time trail and so on. The best rider is surely the winner.

Tour de France on 11:03 - Jul 23 with 1421 viewsBatterseajack

I just want whoever wins, to win.
Tour de France on 11:07 - Jul 23 with 1409 viewsbluey_the_blue

Tour de France on 11:00 - Jul 23 by Cooperman

Ok now I understand. I sensed that you were supporting Bernal but couldn’t fathom why this would be the case over our local favourite.

I’ve got a slightly different view in that I want our local favourite to win purely because he is just that. I’d still be rooting for him even if he was mid peloton.

The ‘best’ rider is hard to define as the event covers multiple facets of endurance, climbing, time trail and so on. The best rider is surely the winner.

Don't get me wrong, I hope G does well.

He's just never struck me as an elite rider; he's an excellent domestique for Froome but lives and dies as a team leader on the team. As they've struggled, so has he.

The best rider isn't necessarily the winner. Alaphillipe has done well so far for example ( best rider? ) but won't win due to a lack of team support.

I don't see the final week matching G's strengths but they certainly match Bernal who has looked untroubled this tour.
Tour de France on 11:14 - Jul 23 with 1405 viewsBatterseajack

Tour de France on 10:25 - Jul 23 by bluey_the_blue

Bernal is a real mountain climber. G needs a dominant team to carry him.

You might blindly follow someone from same city, like it or not, Bernal is a far better rider. The final week favours him and he's not been blown up unlike G.

Like it or not, I absolutely love the mountain guys. The true competitors.

Surely the impartial fan would rather see Alaphillipe or Pinot take the win? Both exciting riders who animate the race, create drama and huge to france if they win.

If i wasn't welsh, i'd struggle to support any sky/ineos rider due to the manor in which they win. It can be all a bit boring and predictable and predictable and lacking in panache.

That said, as much criticism as froome gets for being boring, staring down at his stem all the time and riding to power. I think its largely unfair, as he too can take the race by the scruff of the neck, in winning mountain stages, taking advantage of cross winds on flat stages and go for 50km solo tour winning attacks.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2019 11:19]
Tour de France on 11:18 - Jul 23 with 1398 viewsbluey_the_blue

Alaphiliipe and Pinot are exciting, I fully agree with you there, however I feel both have expended far too much energy on the tour so far which with this final week could well cost them.

Bernal has looked incredibly comfortable so far and I'm really interested in seeing what he can do in the Alps especially in the heat.

I'd agree about Froome. Team Sky/Ineos have made it all about tempo and control, like US Postal did. Can make races formulaic and boring.
Tour de France on 12:53 - Jul 23 with 1354 viewsProfessor

Tour de France on 11:14 - Jul 23 by Batterseajack

Surely the impartial fan would rather see Alaphillipe or Pinot take the win? Both exciting riders who animate the race, create drama and huge to france if they win.

If i wasn't welsh, i'd struggle to support any sky/ineos rider due to the manor in which they win. It can be all a bit boring and predictable and predictable and lacking in panache.

That said, as much criticism as froome gets for being boring, staring down at his stem all the time and riding to power. I think its largely unfair, as he too can take the race by the scruff of the neck, in winning mountain stages, taking advantage of cross winds on flat stages and go for 50km solo tour winning attacks.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2019 11:19]

Froome the boring rider with the 80km solo mountain attack that overturned a deficit of over three minutes to win the Giro D'Italia beating Yates, Pinot and the hugely talents (and like Froome much missed on this TdF) Tom Dumoulin
Tour de France on 12:57 - Jul 23 with 1352 viewsbluey_the_blue

Tour de France on 12:53 - Jul 23 by Professor

Froome the boring rider with the 80km solo mountain attack that overturned a deficit of over three minutes to win the Giro D'Italia beating Yates, Pinot and the hugely talents (and like Froome much missed on this TdF) Tom Dumoulin

That was very much the exception as well you know.

Team Sky/Ineos tactic, like US Postal is to dictate the tempo. It's a more predictable, more boring style which stifle individualism for the most part. Nothing wrong with that, gets results.
Tour de France on 13:01 - Jul 23 with 1347 viewssherpajacob

Cycling is a team sport.

It's more of a,team sport than most team sports.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Tour de France on 13:12 - Jul 23 with 1337 viewsSPboy

Tour de France on 11:18 - Jul 23 by bluey_the_blue

Alaphiliipe and Pinot are exciting, I fully agree with you there, however I feel both have expended far too much energy on the tour so far which with this final week could well cost them.

Bernal has looked incredibly comfortable so far and I'm really interested in seeing what he can do in the Alps especially in the heat.

I'd agree about Froome. Team Sky/Ineos have made it all about tempo and control, like US Postal did. Can make races formulaic and boring.

Depends how you define boring. There are 22 teams out there. Some have won nothing nor do they have real challengers for the GC. Look at Bora Hansgrohe for instance they have 7 team players just supporting Sagan who has been disappointing. Team Ineos have been clear from the outset that their target is winning the GC. They have 2 contenders in my view. GT might have been viewed as a super domestique for Froome in days gone by, he has earned the right for support and he is still in second place. He gave up a career chasing Classics to follow the Team Sky strategy to win grand tours. Bernal still has a job to do until GT drops out of contention. GT came across as the ultimate team player by letting Bernal go & holding back Alaphlippe if his press conference was actually the truth.

If GT can’t win it then I would love to see Alaphilippe take it, he has been on fire for the last 12 months & so exciting to watch. He is currently playing the classic Team Sky tactic in just defending his lead. No mean feat without any of his team mates around him
Tour de France on 13:38 - Jul 23 with 1327 viewsbluey_the_blue

And G on the floor.
Tour de France on 13:49 - Jul 23 with 1317 viewsPegojack

Tour de France on 13:38 - Jul 23 by bluey_the_blue

And G on the floor.

Seems to be OK.

Stupid boy, watch where you're feckin going!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024