Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stereophonics at the Park 00:39 - Jul 14 with 13191 viewsLuther27

Brilliant night in great surroundings. Thought all the bands were good but the 'Phonics were brilliant.
Anyone else go?
Stereophonics at the Park on 17:02 - Jul 16 with 2186 viewsSwansea93

They should of had Rammstein bring their epic stage show down here.

Poll: Can Montero do it on a rainy Saturday afternoon?

Stereophonics at the Park on 17:10 - Jul 16 with 2178 viewsEbo

Stereophonics at the Park on 16:40 - Jul 16 by Brynmill_Jack

AC/DC tribute band. I think the only true original acts we’ve given the world are the manics and Gorkys Zygotic Munci. Yes, I did say munci

Not forgetting SFA, Cate le Bon, Sweet Baboo, Datblygu and Zabrinksi.

Stereophonics are not even the best band in Cwmaman.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Stereophonics at the Park on 17:33 - Jul 16 with 2140 viewsLeonWasGod

Stereophonics at the Park on 16:17 - Jul 16 by Professor

I quite like the ‘valleys’ narrative of their 1st record ( Word Gets around)-1000 trees, goldfish bowl, local boy....... but god they have been dreadful since. If they were
Not Welsh no one would be giving a Monkey’s about them on here. One of many ‘big bands’ who leave me cold

I thought that first album was superb. I've been underwhelmed when seeing them live though (only twice). They just don't seem to perform - I may have well stayed at home and listened to the albums, as very little was different in the gigs.

And I must be one of the few people on the planet to admit to liking Dakota.
Stereophonics at the Park on 18:23 - Jul 16 with 2123 viewsItchySphincter

Stereophonics at the Park on 16:53 - Jul 16 by Dr_Winston

Love a bit of musical snobbery. People get so irate about bands they don't listen to but others enjoy.

Went to the gig. Nowhere near as good as '99, but perhaps age is catching up with me. Far too many drunken dickheads about as mentioned. Big difference between enjoying a few pints whilst watching an event and charging around like a drunken arse making a nuisance of yourself to others.

I took the kids, nice for them to experience it and I try to support live music events, especially in Swansea, if I can, but to be honest I find Stereophonics a bit dull. I like a couple of the anthemic hits for a singalong but I would never choose to listen to them really.

I also went in '99 and I thought they were shite then too, never really understood why that gig is so fondly remembered.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Stereophonics at the Park on 20:10 - Jul 16 with 2086 viewsexiledclaseboy

Stereophonics at the Park on 18:23 - Jul 16 by ItchySphincter

I took the kids, nice for them to experience it and I try to support live music events, especially in Swansea, if I can, but to be honest I find Stereophonics a bit dull. I like a couple of the anthemic hits for a singalong but I would never choose to listen to them really.

I also went in '99 and I thought they were shite then too, never really understood why that gig is so fondly remembered.

Zeitgeist. And their first two albums were brilliant and they hadn’t begun to churn out album upon album of dirge at that point. Everyone was pissed as farts that day as well, it’s not a new phenomenon.

Poll: Tory leader

Stereophonics at the Park on 20:40 - Jul 16 with 2064 viewsdickythorpe

The 1999 gig was full of pissed up under 25's. I know I was 22 and howling along with most of the audience!!

I remember people trying to get in for free falling through the roof of tarpaulin where beer had been "pre-poured" in paper pint glasses and VIRGIN cola!!!!
Never again did I see such dreadful beverages and presentation.
Lot of people on poppers that day for some reason.
Stereophonics at the Park on 22:25 - Jul 16 with 2004 viewsProfessor

Stereophonics at the Park on 17:10 - Jul 16 by Ebo

Not forgetting SFA, Cate le Bon, Sweet Baboo, Datblygu and Zabrinksi.

Stereophonics are not even the best band in Cwmaman.

Or indeed Anhrefyn, y llwybyr llaethog, ffa coffi pawb, y cyrff and all the other 80s pioneers- the last two becoming Catatonia and SFA. As well as the patron saint of alternative welsh music John Cale.
Cate Le Bon is a good call. I taught/know her sister who is a vet. She did her Masters project with me. She is hilarious and appears very briefly in the ‘Are you with me now video’. SFA were superb with the Manics at the Liberty, not least the old dear in front of us up singing along to ‘ The man don’t give a xxxx’. Top band even if a few are Bluebirds. Love the cover with Robin Friday. The Cardiff lads were in a band called ‘U Thant’ who good too.
Stereophonics at the Park on 01:08 - Jul 17 with 1943 viewsEbo

Stereophonics at the Park on 22:25 - Jul 16 by Professor

Or indeed Anhrefyn, y llwybyr llaethog, ffa coffi pawb, y cyrff and all the other 80s pioneers- the last two becoming Catatonia and SFA. As well as the patron saint of alternative welsh music John Cale.
Cate Le Bon is a good call. I taught/know her sister who is a vet. She did her Masters project with me. She is hilarious and appears very briefly in the ‘Are you with me now video’. SFA were superb with the Manics at the Liberty, not least the old dear in front of us up singing along to ‘ The man don’t give a xxxx’. Top band even if a few are Bluebirds. Love the cover with Robin Friday. The Cardiff lads were in a band called ‘U Thant’ who good too.

Cate is doing really well. She is living in the States now.

Only 2 of the SFA are bluebirds (Guto and Bunf) Cian likes Man City, Gruff supports Bangor City. Not sure who Daf follows though. I'm good mates with Cian, sound lad.

Quick nods too to Meic Stephens, Mike Peters and Dave Edmunds.

Login to get fewer ads

Stereophonics at the Park on 01:52 - Jul 17 with 1931 viewsEbo

The new kids on the block are pretty talented

Stereophonics at the Park on 09:16 - Jul 17 with 1842 viewsProfessor

Stereophonics at the Park on 01:08 - Jul 17 by Ebo

Cate is doing really well. She is living in the States now.

Only 2 of the SFA are bluebirds (Guto and Bunf) Cian likes Man City, Gruff supports Bangor City. Not sure who Daf follows though. I'm good mates with Cian, sound lad.

Quick nods too to Meic Stephens, Mike Peters and Dave Edmunds.

I really like Cate-quite unique voice and sound. Gwenno is also good.

We called our late Jack Russell 'Gruff' as he was a super furry animal.

You seem to have a good musical knowledge so would probably remember 'The Pooh Sticks', Steve 'Fierce' and 'Fierce Records' in the late 80s/early 90s. And probably the Swansea band 'The Sweetest Ache' who were on Sarah Records- saw them in Oxford and have a 7" 'Sickening" somewhere in my boxed up collection. Was used on the BBC2 football show (the name of which escapes me) with Simon O'Brien and Kevin Allen when it covered Swansea in the early 90s.

I guess for welsh completeness we should also include Amen Corner/Andy Fairweather-Low too.

I think we can agree that Stereophonics are far from the best of Welsh music.
Stereophonics at the Park on 09:26 - Jul 17 with 1836 viewsEbo

Stereophonics at the Park on 09:16 - Jul 17 by Professor

You seem to have a good musical knowledge so would probably remember 'The Pooh Sticks', Steve 'Fierce' and 'Fierce Records' in the late 80s/early 90s. And probably the Swansea band 'The Sweetest Ache' who were on Sarah Records- saw them in Oxford and have a 7" 'Sickening" somewhere in my boxed up collection. Was used on the BBC2 football show (the name of which escapes me) with Simon O'Brien and Kevin Allen when it covered Swansea in the early 90s.

I guess for welsh completeness we should also include Amen Corner/Andy Fairweather-Low too.

I remember the Pooh sticks!

My mate does a little bit of booking/promoting and has booked Penelope Isles for cinema and co in November. I saw these at Clwb back in March and I have to say in nearly 40 years of going to gigs, this was right up there. Insanely talented.

Stereophonics at the Park on 18:36 - Jul 17 with 1761 viewstaffpunk

Stereophonics at the Park on 09:16 - Jul 17 by Professor

'The Sweetest Ache' and all those bands on Sarah Records, dreadful twee posh indie bands. Remember Darren/Darryl-White Lemonade Fanzine-put a few of them on in Pentre Legion. Dreadful night.

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

Stereophonics at the Park on 21:56 - Jul 17 with 1710 viewsWarwickHunt

Can’t believe no one’s mentioned the greatest ever Welsh band by a country fûcking mile.

MAN.
[Post edited 17 Jul 2019 21:57]
Stereophonics at the Park on 22:13 - Jul 17 with 1689 viewsGowerjack

Stereophonics at the Park on 21:56 - Jul 17 by WarwickHunt

Can’t believe no one’s mentioned the greatest ever Welsh band by a country fûcking mile.

MAN.

Really?

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Stereophonics at the Park on 22:14 - Jul 17 with 1687 viewsDarran

Stereophonics at the Park on 21:56 - Jul 17 by WarwickHunt

MAN.

I did in the same conversation on Twitter and on a side note Joe Elliott played them on his Planet Rock show on Saturday.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Stereophonics at the Park on 22:59 - Jul 17 with 1658 viewsWarwickHunt

Stereophonics at the Park on 22:13 - Jul 17 by Gowerjack

Really?

Abso-fûcking-lutely.
Stereophonics at the Park on 23:15 - Jul 17 with 1638 viewsItchySphincter

There's been a few big sellers - The Alarm, Feeder, Badfinger. There's a couple of versions of Man still going too.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Stereophonics at the Park on 23:16 - Jul 17 with 1636 viewsProfessor

Stereophonics at the Park on 18:36 - Jul 17 by taffpunk

'The Sweetest Ache' and all those bands on Sarah Records, dreadful twee posh indie bands. Remember Darren/Darryl-White Lemonade Fanzine-put a few of them on in Pentre Legion. Dreadful night.

Darren Jones from Porth did ‘White Lemonade’. I lived in Oxford at the time and did a few interviews for him- most notably the Wedding Present. He is a decent guy, big Wales football fan. It may have been ‘Heavenly’ who played. The Pooh Sticks was the Muni. Heavenly were a very upper middle class band from Oxford who emerged from the earlier Talulah Gosh. Their singer was formerly the chief economist for the Office of Fair Trading, is now an economics professor at UEA and has an OBE, so not a typical Rock Singer. I remember ‘Man’ playing the Parc and Dare in Treorchy around 1980 in guess .
The only other bands I remember playing there were Flying Pickets and Kooga, though I know others including Darran’s Favourite Billy Bragg
Stereophonics at the Park on 23:21 - Jul 17 with 1629 viewsDarran

Stereophonics at the Park on 23:16 - Jul 17 by Professor

Darren Jones from Porth did ‘White Lemonade’. I lived in Oxford at the time and did a few interviews for him- most notably the Wedding Present. He is a decent guy, big Wales football fan. It may have been ‘Heavenly’ who played. The Pooh Sticks was the Muni. Heavenly were a very upper middle class band from Oxford who emerged from the earlier Talulah Gosh. Their singer was formerly the chief economist for the Office of Fair Trading, is now an economics professor at UEA and has an OBE, so not a typical Rock Singer. I remember ‘Man’ playing the Parc and Dare in Treorchy around 1980 in guess .
The only other bands I remember playing there were Flying Pickets and Kooga, though I know others including Darran’s Favourite Billy Bragg

👀

Stereophonics at the Park on 23:30 - Jul 17 with 1622 viewsDarran

Let’s not forget Budgie.

Stereophonics at the Park on 00:07 - Jul 18 with 1603 viewsWarwickHunt

Stereophonics at the Park on 23:30 - Jul 17 by Darran

Let’s not forget Budgie.

No, let’s.,.
Stereophonics at the Park on 16:23 - Jul 18 with 1504 viewsblaenaugwentjack

Ah anhrefn and the elder statesman of punk that is Rhys Mwyn.
Stereophonics at the Park on 19:22 - Jul 18 with 1446 viewstaffpunk

Stereophonics at the Park on 23:16 - Jul 17 by Professor

We were putting bands on around the same time, myself the Punkier ones, and him more the indie types. Though I think we both put U Thant on at various venues. No real rivalry, always got on well enough, we deliberately avoided each others dates. That one at the Legion, I think St Christopher played as well, shocking stuff, and a fair amount of the crowd turned their backs from the stage.He could afford to lose money on Gigs, I couldn't.
I don't think I've ever been to see a group at The Parc And Dare tbh.

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

Stereophonics at the Park on 20:22 - Jul 18 with 1414 viewsProfessor

Stereophonics at the Park on 19:22 - Jul 18 by taffpunk

We were putting bands on around the same time, myself the Punkier ones, and him more the indie types. Though I think we both put U Thant on at various venues. No real rivalry, always got on well enough, we deliberately avoided each others dates. That one at the Legion, I think St Christopher played as well, shocking stuff, and a fair amount of the crowd turned their backs from the stage.He could afford to lose money on Gigs, I couldn't.
I don't think I've ever been to see a group at The Parc And Dare tbh.

Never seen one there either (perhaps the Peruvian Hipsters played in the lesser hall/ bar underneath but is a long time ago). I saw U Thant and Y Cyrff at the Beach in about 88/89 but being at University then working in London and Oxford did not see too many. I saw ‘pop am good’ in the Star which was one of yours I think but a bit later.

I can only remember Man playing as was queuing for some film and remember the poster. Must have been around 10.
Stereophonics at the Park on 21:34 - Jul 18 with 1384 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Cut Ribbons , a Llanelli band we’re doing great things last year. I wonder if they are still together?

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024