Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Extinction rebellion protesters 08:11 - Jul 16 with 3920 viewsraynor94

Decide to shut down the main thoroughfare through Cardiff City centre for at least three days, causing untold inconvenience to workers and residents.

Yet the Police seem quite happy for them to do it, surely they could find a water cannon from somewhere

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Extinction rebellion protesters on 17:44 - Jul 17 with 688 viewsProfessor

Extinction rebellion protesters on 16:01 - Jul 17 by londonlisa2001

I’m not sure many argue both cases. It’s rare at least.

The Brexiteers who argue for reduced or no regulation, a race to the bottom with workers rights, environmental protections, the ‘opportunity’ of replacing membership of the single market and customs union with deals with China, India, the US etc don’t tend to be particularly bothered about the climate change question.

Those of us who are firm supporters of retaining our membership with a protectionist EU, unwilling to accept deregulation and a race to the bottom, tend to be concerned with climate change as well.

Free trade and acceptance of a customs union which proscribes relatively stringent minimum standards within a coalition of our closest neighbours is not the same as a global race to the bottom. I’ve pointed out on many, many occasions in discussion with Lohengrin, for example, that I believe there is a huge inconsistency between protection of British jobs and people demanding more goods more cheaply. I’ve also debated this very point with both Jango and others that an increase in EU barriers to the UK leads you an unacceptable decrease in non EU barriers.

So I’m not certain your point holds in many cases. But a brexiteer may be more able to answer if you can find one that holds strong anti climate change views as well.

Not that I am an expert on economics or politics (I am a biologist at the end of the day), but having recently been to China, Philippines and several sub-Saharan African countries with heavy Chinese industrial investment I fully agree with what Lisa is saying. Deregulation is a race to the bottom on public health, environmental protection, animal welfare, food safety, safety in the work environment and workers rights are protected by the EU. Easily dismissed as 'red tape', but most are there to protect the individual and community. Don't get me wrong, I like the US, but given a choice would pick Germany, France, the Netherlands or a number of other EU countries as better to live in.
Extinction rebellion protesters on 17:46 - Jul 17 with 673 viewsladyjack

Extinction rebellion protesters on 17:44 - Jul 17 by Professor

Not that I am an expert on economics or politics (I am a biologist at the end of the day), but having recently been to China, Philippines and several sub-Saharan African countries with heavy Chinese industrial investment I fully agree with what Lisa is saying. Deregulation is a race to the bottom on public health, environmental protection, animal welfare, food safety, safety in the work environment and workers rights are protected by the EU. Easily dismissed as 'red tape', but most are there to protect the individual and community. Don't get me wrong, I like the US, but given a choice would pick Germany, France, the Netherlands or a number of other EU countries as better to live in.

We should not follow the likes of England, USA, Israel - its the road to ruin.
Extinction rebellion protesters on 17:47 - Jul 17 with 673 viewsbluey_the_blue

Extinction rebellion protesters on 15:55 - Jul 17 by Uxbridge

People be hypocrites shocker.

It doesn't take away the legitimacy of their message, the urgent need to address the issues and the woefully inept actions to date of the world's governments, including our own. In that scenario, their actions are entirely proportionate.

We now live in a culture where products are throwaway.

Dad used to make vacuum cleaners etc at the old Hoover place. He left, started his own business repairing vacuum cleaners, washing machines etc. He had a major stroke 25 years ago but even then, business was rapidly declining. Not because he didn't know his sh1t, but because peoples view became "why pay XXX to get it repaired when I can spend a it more and get a new model?". Businesses aren't naive, so products then became "unrepairable" - something breaks? Just buy a new one...

How you change peoples mindset on something like that I don't know - it's like those complaining about high street stores going whilst buying online themselves.
Extinction rebellion protesters on 18:26 - Jul 17 with 643 viewsGowerjack

Extinction rebellion protesters on 12:37 - Jul 17 by londonlisa2001

“Best of all numpty had to admit that their stance on stopping GDP increasing would lead to recessions but that's all for the good of the planet. “

That’s the central plank of their movement Bluey. If you think that’s a gotcha moment, you’ve, again, spectacularly missed the point.

Although the spokesman didn't come across very well

They need to up the game in that respect.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Extinction rebellion protesters on 18:37 - Jul 17 with 629 viewslonglostjack

Extinction rebellion protesters on 17:47 - Jul 17 by bluey_the_blue

We now live in a culture where products are throwaway.

Dad used to make vacuum cleaners etc at the old Hoover place. He left, started his own business repairing vacuum cleaners, washing machines etc. He had a major stroke 25 years ago but even then, business was rapidly declining. Not because he didn't know his sh1t, but because peoples view became "why pay XXX to get it repaired when I can spend a it more and get a new model?". Businesses aren't naive, so products then became "unrepairable" - something breaks? Just buy a new one...

How you change peoples mindset on something like that I don't know - it's like those complaining about high street stores going whilst buying online themselves.

With regards to your last paragraph, a tax on Amazon’s turnover in the country where it’s generated would be a start. Good luck with convincing your non-conservative Party to follow Macron on that one. The Party of small business my arse.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Extinction rebellion protesters on 19:39 - Jul 17 with 589 viewslondonlisa2001

Extinction rebellion protesters on 18:26 - Jul 17 by Gowerjack

Although the spokesman didn't come across very well

They need to up the game in that respect.

I didn’t hear it. I refuse to listen to John Humphreys any longer. Puts me in a bad mood too early in the day...

The last time I heard one of them they weren’t great though. Too earnest and not practical enough.

But I think they are doing a good job in raising awareness, which is what is important.
Extinction rebellion protesters on 14:56 - Jul 19 with 486 viewsDarran

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024