Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Extinction rebellion protesters 08:11 - Jul 16 with 3923 viewsraynor94

Decide to shut down the main thoroughfare through Cardiff City centre for at least three days, causing untold inconvenience to workers and residents.

Yet the Police seem quite happy for them to do it, surely they could find a water cannon from somewhere

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Extinction rebellion protesters on 13:20 - Jul 16 with 784 viewsLuther27

Extinction rebellion protesters on 13:11 - Jul 16 by londonlisa2001

Don’t hybrids use only electric below a certain speed? In a gridlock they’d be running on electric.

That’s the way the cars work anyway.

Except when the battery power drops below a set value... about 12 volts for my car.
Extinction rebellion protesters on 13:24 - Jul 16 with 773 viewsUxbridge

Extinction rebellion protesters on 13:11 - Jul 16 by londonlisa2001

Don’t hybrids use only electric below a certain speed? In a gridlock they’d be running on electric.

That’s the way the cars work anyway.

It's mainly all to do with power requirements. Mine runs entirely on electric in when braking or maintaining a consistent speed. When accelerating and out of juice then the petrol kicks in, or if running the aircon on full. On the school run which is almost entirely downhill or flat, I wouldn't use a drop, but on the way back I would.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Extinction rebellion protesters on 13:31 - Jul 16 with 751 viewslonglostjack

I’m not sure that electric vehicles are any better for the environment if you take the amount of energy needed to produce the battery. Clearly though, they solve the problem of emissions in urban areas. The electric vehicle market is in large part driven by the commercial need to export to China. Daimler and Toyota are continuing to invest in fuel cell research. Perhaps one day that will be the cleaner alternative.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Extinction rebellion protesters on 13:38 - Jul 16 with 739 viewsLuther27

Extinction rebellion protesters on 13:31 - Jul 16 by longlostjack

I’m not sure that electric vehicles are any better for the environment if you take the amount of energy needed to produce the battery. Clearly though, they solve the problem of emissions in urban areas. The electric vehicle market is in large part driven by the commercial need to export to China. Daimler and Toyota are continuing to invest in fuel cell research. Perhaps one day that will be the cleaner alternative.

The other big issue with an increase in demand for hybrid or pure electric driven vehicles is the rare earth supply used in their manufacture the majority of it mined in China. I've seen and read several reports about the mining techniques used and believe me I would rather set up a tent next to the blast furnace in Port Talbot steel works.

It seems all of us on here want a cleaner environment but how we achieve it without passing the buck on to other nations is going to be difficult.
Extinction rebellion protesters on 13:41 - Jul 16 with 737 viewsUxbridge

It's a fair comment on the initial battery creation, lithium, cobalt all pretty rare. In terms of electricity generation, then that again is an issue that this Govt has singularly failed to grasp. Tidal lagoon anyone? There needs to be a massive push to generating our electrical needs through renewables.

There's a lot of interesting research being done in terms of hydrogen powered cars. That's quite probably the more longer-term solution but lots to see.

Extinction rebellion protesters on 13:44 - Jul 16 with 731 viewsLeonWasGod

Extinction rebellion protesters on 09:24 - Jul 16 by Batterseajack

Good on them for bringing climate change back to the forefront of public discussion.

This, with bells on.
Extinction rebellion protesters on 14:01 - Jul 16 with 709 viewsLuther27

Extinction rebellion protesters on 13:41 - Jul 16 by Uxbridge

It's a fair comment on the initial battery creation, lithium, cobalt all pretty rare. In terms of electricity generation, then that again is an issue that this Govt has singularly failed to grasp. Tidal lagoon anyone? There needs to be a massive push to generating our electrical needs through renewables.

There's a lot of interesting research being done in terms of hydrogen powered cars. That's quite probably the more longer-term solution but lots to see.

Agree with all you said. I think Honda were at the forefront of hydrogen power. Watched James May? test one a few years ago on Top Gear. It seems the route to head down to me.

As for power generation....spot on. I can't work out how the tidal lagoon project is more expensive than nuclear power. How much does it cost to decommission a nuclear power station? Then there's the obvious health hazards involved along with the storage of deadly spent material.

Another thing is the reduction in spinning reserve thanks to decommissioning of coal fired power stations and not having immediate replacements. I think we were down to around 2% the last report in the press. So...all in all the Lagoon should have been sanctioned in my world.
Extinction rebellion protesters on 14:07 - Jul 16 with 707 viewsLeonWasGod

Battery vehicles are good for climate change gases, not so good for some other types of pollution, especially around mining the precious metals for the batteries and disposal of same. The source of electricity also has a big effect, as you'd expect, although this is likely to improve as we increase renewables.

This is the report you need, p 57 onwards.

https://www.eea.europa.eu/publications/electric-vehicles-from-life-cycle/downloa

6.1 Climate change impacts
"The majority of LCAs show that BEVs have lower
life cycle GHG emissions than ICEVs. In general,
GHG emissions associated with the raw materials and
production stage of BEVs are 1.3-2 times higher than
for ICEVs (Ellingsen et al., 2016; Kim et al., 2016), but
this can be more than offset by lower per kilometre
use stage emissions, depending on the electricity
generation source (Figure 6.1)."

LCA = Life Cycle Analysis
BEV = Battery Electric Vehicles
ICEV = Internal Combustion Engine Vehicles

6.2.1 Human toxicity
The literature on human toxicity impacts (e.g. Hawkins
et al., 2013; Nordelöf et al., 2014; Borén and Ny, 2016;)
is limited in comparison with that on climate change
impacts. Research does, however, suggest that BEVs
could be responsible for greater negative impacts
overall than their ICEV equivalents (Figure 6.2).

Also goes on to talk about environmental toxicity, air quality and noise pollution.
Login to get fewer ads

Extinction rebellion protesters on 14:14 - Jul 16 with 705 viewsBatterseajack

Extinction rebellion protesters on 12:55 - Jul 16 by bluey_the_blue

Which is fine - but how are gov.uk going to convert petrol / diesel cars to electrics?

Can't expect every single person in UK to bear to cost of replacing - some simply can't. There's next to no market in second hand electrics car due to them being so new.

Your happy for us all to bear the cost of brexit, what different here?
Extinction rebellion protesters on 14:36 - Jul 16 with 694 viewscontroversial_jack

You would like to instigate violence on peaceful protesters?
Extinction rebellion protesters on 14:37 - Jul 16 with 694 viewsbuilthjack

We should thank these people. They are helping our grandchildrens future. Bravo.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Extinction rebellion protesters on 15:12 - Jul 16 with 661 viewsUxbridge

Extinction rebellion protesters on 14:01 - Jul 16 by Luther27

Agree with all you said. I think Honda were at the forefront of hydrogen power. Watched James May? test one a few years ago on Top Gear. It seems the route to head down to me.

As for power generation....spot on. I can't work out how the tidal lagoon project is more expensive than nuclear power. How much does it cost to decommission a nuclear power station? Then there's the obvious health hazards involved along with the storage of deadly spent material.

Another thing is the reduction in spinning reserve thanks to decommissioning of coal fired power stations and not having immediate replacements. I think we were down to around 2% the last report in the press. So...all in all the Lagoon should have been sanctioned in my world.

Even if economically expensive, I agree it should have gone ahead. We're not evacuating Swansea for a few hundred years if one of the turbines go kaput. The UK could have its entire electrical requirements met by wind and tidal power if it so chose. Costly maybe, but if you factor in the environmental and geopolitical costs of oil, gas etc, plus the value of being a world leader in such technology (which would be a rarity these days) then it seems a pretty attractive proposition.

Extinction rebellion protesters on 17:02 - Jul 16 with 600 viewsbluey_the_blue

Extinction rebellion protesters on 14:14 - Jul 16 by Batterseajack

Your happy for us all to bear the cost of brexit, what different here?

Hmm, add up cost of cars, number of vehicles needing replacing...

Still, apples, oranges and all that.
Extinction rebellion protesters on 17:28 - Jul 16 with 577 viewsHighjack

The biggest drivers of climate change are happening in other countries. Doris from Basingstoke switching to a Prius isn’t gonna make much of a difference when China and India are building a million power plants every ten seconds and Brazil is wiping out the rainforest.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Extinction rebellion protesters on 17:42 - Jul 16 with 568 viewsbluey_the_blue

Extinction rebellion protesters on 17:28 - Jul 16 by Highjack

The biggest drivers of climate change are happening in other countries. Doris from Basingstoke switching to a Prius isn’t gonna make much of a difference when China and India are building a million power plants every ten seconds and Brazil is wiping out the rainforest.

Extinction rebellion are about politics, not climate change let's be honest.

"The Energy and Climate Intelligence Unit, which supports its course of strong action and demands, said that the timeframe being urged by XR was "an ambition that technically, economically and politically has absolutely no chance of being fulfilled." They calculated that to go net zero by 2025, flying would need to be scrapped and 38 million cars (both petrol and diesel) would need to be removed from the roads. In addition, 26 million gas boilers would need to be disconnected in six years."
Extinction rebellion protesters on 18:15 - Jul 16 with 543 viewslondonlisa2001

Extinction rebellion protesters on 17:42 - Jul 16 by bluey_the_blue

Extinction rebellion are about politics, not climate change let's be honest.

"The Energy and Climate Intelligence Unit, which supports its course of strong action and demands, said that the timeframe being urged by XR was "an ambition that technically, economically and politically has absolutely no chance of being fulfilled." They calculated that to go net zero by 2025, flying would need to be scrapped and 38 million cars (both petrol and diesel) would need to be removed from the roads. In addition, 26 million gas boilers would need to be disconnected in six years."

Climate change is politics.
Extinction rebellion protesters on 18:27 - Jul 16 with 530 viewslondonlisa2001

Extinction rebellion protesters on 17:28 - Jul 16 by Highjack

Consumption has been largely in the West.

If we buy products made in China, it’s our carbon footprint. If we eat crap that causes deforestation, it’s our deforestation.

As countries become richer, of course their consumption increases as well, but if you buy clothes made in China, it’s your emissions, not China’s.
Extinction rebellion protesters on 18:39 - Jul 16 with 521 viewsHighjack

Extinction rebellion protesters on 18:27 - Jul 16 by londonlisa2001

Consumption has been largely in the West.

If we buy products made in China, it’s our carbon footprint. If we eat crap that causes deforestation, it’s our deforestation.

As countries become richer, of course their consumption increases as well, but if you buy clothes made in China, it’s your emissions, not China’s.

Complete bollocks.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Extinction rebellion protesters on 18:51 - Jul 16 with 514 viewslondonlisa2001

Extinction rebellion protesters on 18:39 - Jul 16 by Highjack

Complete bollocks.

Really - explain why if I buy stuff where manufacturing has been moved to a factory in China to make it cheaper for me, it’s not my demand causing that factory to generate emissions.
Extinction rebellion protesters on 18:55 - Jul 16 with 511 viewsExiledJack

I walked past one of their protests today. The guy on the megaphone was asking us all to consider the carbon footprint of each condom. Doesn’t sound like a sustainable future to me, but each to their own.
Extinction rebellion protesters on 18:59 - Jul 16 with 506 viewsbluey_the_blue

Extinction rebellion protesters on 18:51 - Jul 16 by londonlisa2001

Really - explain why if I buy stuff where manufacturing has been moved to a factory in China to make it cheaper for me, it’s not my demand causing that factory to generate emissions.

Are none of those factories manufacturing for internal Chinese demand which far outstrips ours?
Extinction rebellion protesters on 19:02 - Jul 16 with 502 viewsbluey_the_blue

Extinction rebellion protesters on 18:55 - Jul 16 by ExiledJack

I walked past one of their protests today. The guy on the megaphone was asking us all to consider the carbon footprint of each condom. Doesn’t sound like a sustainable future to me, but each to their own.

But... but... but... the women are so traumatised they are refusing to have kids because they can't bring them into a dying world! You have to have condoms as they want nookie.

I guess that's irony?
Extinction rebellion protesters on 19:08 - Jul 16 with 497 viewslonglostjack

Catholic against Climate Change?

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Extinction rebellion protesters on 19:10 - Jul 16 with 495 viewsWarwickHunt

Megaphone manufacture has a huge carbon footprint. Noise pollution too...

Probably had his girlfriend with him and trying to get her to agree to a spot of bareback.
Extinction rebellion protesters on 19:13 - Jul 16 with 493 viewslondonlisa2001

Extinction rebellion protesters on 18:59 - Jul 16 by bluey_the_blue

Are none of those factories manufacturing for internal Chinese demand which far outstrips ours?

Chinese annual household expenditure per capita reached a record high of $3,949 in December 2018. That is measured only for urban areas. If the whole country was included it is $2,935. India is $1,097.

The UK’s figure is $27,268 (2017 figure - 2018 will have been higher). The US was $36,373.

You and highjack keep making utterly ridiculous statements.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024