Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Extinction rebellion protesters 08:11 - Jul 16 with 3922 viewsraynor94

Decide to shut down the main thoroughfare through Cardiff City centre for at least three days, causing untold inconvenience to workers and residents.

Yet the Police seem quite happy for them to do it, surely they could find a water cannon from somewhere

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Extinction rebellion protesters on 19:13 - Jul 16 with 914 viewsGowerjack

Extinction rebellion protesters on 12:18 - Jul 16 by Luther27

I suppose the irony of that is your expelling more emissions caused by people protesting against emissions.

Short term pain.

Long term gain.

It's not difficult to understand.

Unless you're Bluey of course...

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Extinction rebellion protesters on 19:15 - Jul 16 with 905 viewsLuther27

Extinction rebellion protesters on 19:13 - Jul 16 by Gowerjack

Short term pain.

Long term gain.

It's not difficult to understand.

Unless you're Bluey of course...

My threads through this highlight that I'm a fan of theirs.
Extinction rebellion protesters on 19:16 - Jul 16 with 903 viewsGowerjack

Extinction rebellion protesters on 12:55 - Jul 16 by bluey_the_blue

Which is fine - but how are gov.uk going to convert petrol / diesel cars to electrics?

Can't expect every single person in UK to bear to cost of replacing - some simply can't. There's next to no market in second hand electrics car due to them being so new.

Time.

Again it's not difficult to understand unless you're Bluey.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Extinction rebellion protesters on 19:33 - Jul 16 with 880 viewsNotLoyal

A lot of people off work today to join that protest ...

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Extinction rebellion protesters on 19:50 - Jul 16 with 867 viewsHighjack

Extinction rebellion protesters on 18:51 - Jul 16 by londonlisa2001

Really - explain why if I buy stuff where manufacturing has been moved to a factory in China to make it cheaper for me, it’s not my demand causing that factory to generate emissions.

Of course it’s your demand that causes that but that doesn’t mean climate change is your fault. It seems the whole climate change agenda is to blame us (and therefore tax us) for having the heinous desires to drive a car to work or put the heating on when it’s -20 whilst the people who actually have the power to change things, the politicians and the multi multi billionaires twiddle their thumbs happy with the status quo because it brings them a shitload more power and cash.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Extinction rebellion protesters on 19:50 - Jul 16 with 867 viewsbluey_the_blue

Extinction rebellion protesters on 19:16 - Jul 16 by Gowerjack

Time.

Again it's not difficult to understand unless you're Bluey.

We're running out of time. That's kinda the point of the protesters.

Not difficult to understand unless you're Gowerjack.

Tbh, I don't disagree over time it's something that could be achieved. The point is we've continually be told we don't have that time, have to do something now.
Extinction rebellion protesters on 19:55 - Jul 16 with 855 viewsbluey_the_blue

Extinction rebellion protesters on 19:13 - Jul 16 by londonlisa2001

Chinese annual household expenditure per capita reached a record high of $3,949 in December 2018. That is measured only for urban areas. If the whole country was included it is $2,935. India is $1,097.

The UK’s figure is $27,268 (2017 figure - 2018 will have been higher). The US was $36,373.

You and highjack keep making utterly ridiculous statements.

So, 60,000,000 times 17,268 is higher than 1,420,190,362 times 2935?

China's population is about 18.41% of the world population. Ours is significantly less.

So it's pretty clear internal Chinese demand is higher than our demand. Even if we accept your view it's all our fault wanting sh1t things that break easily, errm wanting nice things, Chinese manufacturing could still be a hell of a lot cleaner and less pollutant.
(No subject) (n/t) on 19:59 - Jul 16 with 845 viewsBatterseajack

Login to get fewer ads

Extinction rebellion protesters on 20:03 - Jul 16 with 837 viewsexiledclaseboy

They should start riots in the streets and attract an equal number of counter protests then most on here would be defending their right to free speech or something.

Poll: Tory leader

Extinction rebellion protesters on 20:05 - Jul 16 with 834 viewslondonlisa2001

Extinction rebellion protesters on 19:50 - Jul 16 by Highjack

Of course it’s your demand that causes that but that doesn’t mean climate change is your fault. It seems the whole climate change agenda is to blame us (and therefore tax us) for having the heinous desires to drive a car to work or put the heating on when it’s -20 whilst the people who actually have the power to change things, the politicians and the multi multi billionaires twiddle their thumbs happy with the status quo because it brings them a shitload more power and cash.

The climate change agenda is an attempt to make us understand that our insatiable demand for ‘stuff’ has to change.

There is a ridiculous inconsistency between people wanting ‘no globalisation’ and ‘cheap stuff’.

Thinking us moving manufacture of the products we buy to China means ‘we’ aren’t the driver and it’s China’s problem is a complete misunderstanding of what is going on.

We all have a part to play. And groups like Extinction Rebellion are bringing the discussion to the public’s attention. Nobody is telling you to avoid putting the heating on. What they are attempting to tell you is to make the changes you can and to be aware of it while also trying to get politicians to recognise how serious this is.
Extinction rebellion protesters on 20:09 - Jul 16 with 831 viewslondonlisa2001

Extinction rebellion protesters on 19:55 - Jul 16 by bluey_the_blue

So, 60,000,000 times 17,268 is higher than 1,420,190,362 times 2935?

China's population is about 18.41% of the world population. Ours is significantly less.

So it's pretty clear internal Chinese demand is higher than our demand. Even if we accept your view it's all our fault wanting sh1t things that break easily, errm wanting nice things, Chinese manufacturing could still be a hell of a lot cleaner and less pollutant.

The only possible way to measure consumption and therefore cause of all this is per capita. (And you’ve misquoted figures anyway). Or are individuals measured in a different way if they happen to be in a smaller country?

Don’t be so ridiculous. For once.
Extinction rebellion protesters on 20:15 - Jul 16 with 823 viewsPozuelosSideys

Until we start having sensible disussions on ways of limiting the population growth, and in turn, the overall global population, all this is just tinkering at the edges.

But of course, we wont until its too late for all sorts of reasons. Like a bacterial infection infesting its host.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Extinction rebellion protesters on 20:18 - Jul 16 with 817 viewsbluey_the_blue

Extinction rebellion protesters on 20:09 - Jul 16 by londonlisa2001

The only possible way to measure consumption and therefore cause of all this is per capita. (And you’ve misquoted figures anyway). Or are individuals measured in a different way if they happen to be in a smaller country?

Don’t be so ridiculous. For once.

Took figures from your post and a world population site.

China is a vastly bigger nation than UK. Our consumption of Chinese made goods is thus greater? Not really plausible.
Extinction rebellion protesters on 20:21 - Jul 16 with 814 viewslondonlisa2001

Extinction rebellion protesters on 20:18 - Jul 16 by bluey_the_blue

Took figures from your post and a world population site.

China is a vastly bigger nation than UK. Our consumption of Chinese made goods is thus greater? Not really plausible.

UK consumption is $27k not $17k.

And our consumption per head is many multiples. You can’t be ridiculous enough to see that’s not the important bit? Surely.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2019 20:22]
Extinction rebellion protesters on 20:24 - Jul 16 with 802 viewsbluey_the_blue

Extinction rebellion protesters on 20:21 - Jul 16 by londonlisa2001

UK consumption is $27k not $17k.

And our consumption per head is many multiples. You can’t be ridiculous enough to see that’s not the important bit? Surely.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2019 20:22]

Typo. I've fat fingers, presumably from too much Chinese food.

Still fundamentally disagree consumption of Chinese manufactured produce by UK is greater than that of China itself. Makes zero sense; many multiples countered by the many multiples more Chinese than there are UK reidents.
Extinction rebellion protesters on 20:36 - Jul 16 with 789 viewslondonlisa2001

Extinction rebellion protesters on 20:24 - Jul 16 by bluey_the_blue

Typo. I've fat fingers, presumably from too much Chinese food.

Still fundamentally disagree consumption of Chinese manufactured produce by UK is greater than that of China itself. Makes zero sense; many multiples countered by the many multiples more Chinese than there are UK reidents.

I didn’t say it was greater than Chinese consumption as a whole. I said it was us as individuals that can make far more of a change than China as it’s largely our ridiculous consumption that is causing this. As you can see from the figures.

FFS. I can’t be bothered any longer. I may as well have this conversation with my dog. Seriously.

You disagree with every single regulation and attempt to influence people’s behaviour except when it comes to immigrants or Indian people doing a job you think you should be able to do without competition. Then every restriction in the world should be used.
Extinction rebellion protesters on 20:53 - Jul 16 with 776 viewsbluey_the_blue

Extinction rebellion protesters on 20:36 - Jul 16 by londonlisa2001

I didn’t say it was greater than Chinese consumption as a whole. I said it was us as individuals that can make far more of a change than China as it’s largely our ridiculous consumption that is causing this. As you can see from the figures.

FFS. I can’t be bothered any longer. I may as well have this conversation with my dog. Seriously.

You disagree with every single regulation and attempt to influence people’s behaviour except when it comes to immigrants or Indian people doing a job you think you should be able to do without competition. Then every restriction in the world should be used.

Third attempt, fedup of losing the text.

Consumption by UK isn't a problem per se, the problem is the manufacturing in China being dirty. In the desire to flood the market with cheap goods, there's little incentive for the manufacturing to be cleaned up. If people in the UK stopped buying Chinese goods, those manufacturing plant would still pollute.

As for the rest, I'm too old to be a millennial, don't expect a guaranteed job. What is needed is a fair playing field, and yes abuses of the existing visa scheme impact upon that. Skilled immigration in areas of need is essential to any society.
Extinction rebellion protesters on 09:08 - Jul 17 with 686 viewsbluey_the_blue

BBC radio 4 Today programme had a numpty from Extinction Rebellion on, Humphreys ripped him a new ar5ehole.

The numpty was asked about the former intelligence chief ripping them, the reply? "Well, we don't know who funds his group". JH clinically dissected him with comments from his group, namely "forcing governments to do what we want", "getting our democracy and if some die in the process so be it". ( from memory ).

Next target is the financial industry. Any action will be taken, including "debt strikes"... oh dear. Best of all numpty had to admit that their stance on stopping GDP increasing would lead to recessions but that's all for the good of the planet.

It's nothing more than a bunch of anarchists leading on the climate change bandwagon, suckering some well meaning people in.
Extinction rebellion protesters on 12:37 - Jul 17 with 651 viewslondonlisa2001

Extinction rebellion protesters on 09:08 - Jul 17 by bluey_the_blue

BBC radio 4 Today programme had a numpty from Extinction Rebellion on, Humphreys ripped him a new ar5ehole.

The numpty was asked about the former intelligence chief ripping them, the reply? "Well, we don't know who funds his group". JH clinically dissected him with comments from his group, namely "forcing governments to do what we want", "getting our democracy and if some die in the process so be it". ( from memory ).

Next target is the financial industry. Any action will be taken, including "debt strikes"... oh dear. Best of all numpty had to admit that their stance on stopping GDP increasing would lead to recessions but that's all for the good of the planet.

It's nothing more than a bunch of anarchists leading on the climate change bandwagon, suckering some well meaning people in.

“Best of all numpty had to admit that their stance on stopping GDP increasing would lead to recessions but that's all for the good of the planet. “

That’s the central plank of their movement Bluey. If you think that’s a gotcha moment, you’ve, again, spectacularly missed the point.
Extinction rebellion protesters on 13:12 - Jul 17 with 631 viewsbluey_the_blue

Extinction rebellion protesters on 12:37 - Jul 17 by londonlisa2001

“Best of all numpty had to admit that their stance on stopping GDP increasing would lead to recessions but that's all for the good of the planet. “

That’s the central plank of their movement Bluey. If you think that’s a gotcha moment, you’ve, again, spectacularly missed the point.

The whole interview was a "gotcha" moment, Lisa.

I've little doubt some passionately believe in fighting climate change. I've little doubt people fighting climate change are drawn to it. Those leading Extinction Rebellion are merely using it to bring down capitalism. Anarchists who claim to love the environment yet use planes for their nice skiing holidays.
Extinction rebellion protesters on 13:23 - Jul 17 with 621 viewsdickythorpe

Are they protesting outside the Senedd?
Extinction rebellion protesters on 13:26 - Jul 17 with 616 viewsbluey_the_blue

As the Senedd is Labour dominated and thus not particularly capitalistic, I'd assume no.
Extinction rebellion protesters on 15:37 - Jul 17 with 580 viewsHighjack

Extinction rebellion protesters on 20:05 - Jul 16 by londonlisa2001

The climate change agenda is an attempt to make us understand that our insatiable demand for ‘stuff’ has to change.

There is a ridiculous inconsistency between people wanting ‘no globalisation’ and ‘cheap stuff’.

Thinking us moving manufacture of the products we buy to China means ‘we’ aren’t the driver and it’s China’s problem is a complete misunderstanding of what is going on.

We all have a part to play. And groups like Extinction Rebellion are bringing the discussion to the public’s attention. Nobody is telling you to avoid putting the heating on. What they are attempting to tell you is to make the changes you can and to be aware of it while also trying to get politicians to recognise how serious this is.

What about the ridiculous inconsistency between those who argue for free trade so billions of tonnes of cheap shit can be imported and sold thus creating jobs and boost the economy whilst simultaneously moaning that the demand for cheap shit is destroying the planet and we should buy less cheap shit?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Extinction rebellion protesters on 15:55 - Jul 17 with 561 viewsUxbridge

Extinction rebellion protesters on 15:37 - Jul 17 by Highjack

What about the ridiculous inconsistency between those who argue for free trade so billions of tonnes of cheap shit can be imported and sold thus creating jobs and boost the economy whilst simultaneously moaning that the demand for cheap shit is destroying the planet and we should buy less cheap shit?

People be hypocrites shocker.

It doesn't take away the legitimacy of their message, the urgent need to address the issues and the woefully inept actions to date of the world's governments, including our own. In that scenario, their actions are entirely proportionate.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Extinction rebellion protesters on 16:01 - Jul 17 with 557 viewslondonlisa2001

Extinction rebellion protesters on 15:37 - Jul 17 by Highjack

I’m not sure many argue both cases. It’s rare at least.

The Brexiteers who argue for reduced or no regulation, a race to the bottom with workers rights, environmental protections, the ‘opportunity’ of replacing membership of the single market and customs union with deals with China, India, the US etc don’t tend to be particularly bothered about the climate change question.

Those of us who are firm supporters of retaining our membership with a protectionist EU, unwilling to accept deregulation and a race to the bottom, tend to be concerned with climate change as well.

Free trade and acceptance of a customs union which proscribes relatively stringent minimum standards within a coalition of our closest neighbours is not the same as a global race to the bottom. I’ve pointed out on many, many occasions in discussion with Lohengrin, for example, that I believe there is a huge inconsistency between protection of British jobs and people demanding more goods more cheaply. I’ve also debated this very point with both Jango and others that an increase in EU barriers to the UK leads you an unacceptable decrease in non EU barriers.

So I’m not certain your point holds in many cases. But a brexiteer may be more able to answer if you can find one that holds strong anti climate change views as well.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024