Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Food bank Growth 11:41 - Jul 16 with 5829 viewsAlfieMooresSon

I know some poor buggers are desperate and really need them to survive, but apparently, anyone can go and get free food?

I was watching the BBC this morning and a woman said about a family took all their kids out and spent all the money on a day out, knowing they were due to get some money on Monday but it didn't come in, so they went to the food bank, as they had spent all the cash?

Now surely if you know you can go out and spend your money and get your food for free will result in some spongers using them and surely the usage is bound to increase?

So you've got Waitrose, Tesco, Aldi, Farm Foods, Foodbank, don't you think there should be some sorts of checks?

I know political parties are using it as a tool to bash the Tories, but if you can get perfectly good food for free and use your cash for what you want why wouldn't you, so to say food bank usage has increased is like saying Aldi customers are increasing, surely it means nothing?

I would predict it will continue to increase as more and more people feel less stigmatised in using them, and for the numbers to go through the roof over the coming years.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2019 11:48]
Food bank Growth on 19:04 - Jul 17 with 1315 viewslondonlisa2001

Food bank Growth on 18:10 - Jul 17 by ladyjack

I wonder if its a bit of a culture shock for Leanne coming down from the Rhondda to Swansea and seeing such deprivation ?

Not as much of a shock as it is to see Leanne and culture mentioned in the same sentence...

On a serious note, if the odd person uses a food bank when they shouldn’t, that’s far better than any kid going hungry.
Food bank Growth on 19:10 - Jul 17 with 1304 viewsladyjack

Food bank Growth on 19:04 - Jul 17 by londonlisa2001

Not as much of a shock as it is to see Leanne and culture mentioned in the same sentence...

On a serious note, if the odd person uses a food bank when they shouldn’t, that’s far better than any kid going hungry.

Just like tax avoidance costs the country far more than benefit fraud and its better to have 100 guilty men walking the streets than 1 innocent man locked up type of thing.
Food bank Growth on 05:55 - Jul 18 with 1220 viewsSwanDownUnder

Waw
Food bank Growth on 09:12 - Jul 18 with 1177 viewsUxbridge

Food bank Growth on 14:31 - Jul 16 by Wingstandwood

I'll make a suggestion that there is a connection with the upsurge of insecure employment, zero hour contracts, the gig economy, lack of full time permanent jobs and working poverty.

I make that suggestion again also because?..... Once upon a time there were no food banks.

When things were so much 'easier' for the working class, in times when the working class was treated with greater decency and morally higher standards?...The food bank phenomena did not exist......

Not everyone has a ( more of a bygone age) guaranteed 'job-for-life', a mega upcoming inheritance from a rich Aunt, nice pot of money in the bank, ISA's or an investment portfolio paying out dividends. Many of us should indeed thank our lucky stars and have empathy for the lesser fortunate.

A quite excellent post.

The very idea that people use food banks as some sort of food tourism like the new Aldi or Lidi is just offensively preposterous. I've read a lot of reports of kids turning up for school malnourished, actually eating out of bins due to lack of food.

It's no wonder so many of these areas voted for Brexit. The system doesn't work for them, and the likes of Farage and Johnson used them and have zero intention of making their lot better, quite the opposite. Now is probably the least safe time for those without means as I can ever recall in my lifetime.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Food bank Growth on 11:00 - Jul 18 with 1128 viewsGlyn1

Food bank Growth on 22:57 - Jul 16 by felixstowe_jack

Are you really serious about the UK have 9 of the top 10 poorest region in Europe. Can you name them. I am sure there are many poorer regions in Romania, Czech, Slovakia, Poland etc which have lower living standards than the UK.
That is why millions of there citizens are working in the UK.

Yes, it's more complex than that.

This claim seems to have arisen from a comparison of areas in northern Europe.

https://fullfact.org/economy/does-uk-have-poorest-regions-northern-europe/?gclid

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024