Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Food bank Growth 11:41 - Jul 16 with 5747 viewsAlfieMooresSon

I know some poor buggers are desperate and really need them to survive, but apparently, anyone can go and get free food?

I was watching the BBC this morning and a woman said about a family took all their kids out and spent all the money on a day out, knowing they were due to get some money on Monday but it didn't come in, so they went to the food bank, as they had spent all the cash?

Now surely if you know you can go out and spend your money and get your food for free will result in some spongers using them and surely the usage is bound to increase?

So you've got Waitrose, Tesco, Aldi, Farm Foods, Foodbank, don't you think there should be some sorts of checks?

I know political parties are using it as a tool to bash the Tories, but if you can get perfectly good food for free and use your cash for what you want why wouldn't you, so to say food bank usage has increased is like saying Aldi customers are increasing, surely it means nothing?

I would predict it will continue to increase as more and more people feel less stigmatised in using them, and for the numbers to go through the roof over the coming years.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2019 11:48]
Food bank Growth on 11:57 - Jul 16 with 4387 viewsTenbySwan

There are checks.
People who go to food banks round here. (Trussel Trust) have to have a voucher off certain people who are allowed to give them out, DWP, assembly member, Council.the church etc

No more than 3 visits allowed.

Recipients are also interviewed about their circumstances etc.
Food bank Growth on 12:00 - Jul 16 with 4372 viewsAlfieMooresSon

Food bank Growth on 11:57 - Jul 16 by TenbySwan

There are checks.
People who go to food banks round here. (Trussel Trust) have to have a voucher off certain people who are allowed to give them out, DWP, assembly member, Council.the church etc

Ok that's fair enough then, they didn't say that this morning, they are obviously a great service, if it's not being abused!
Food bank Growth on 12:04 - Jul 16 with 4352 viewsBarrySwan

In 45 years of being a gas engineer constantly working in homes in both 'well off' areas and some of the roughest council estates in the UK I never once came across anyone, adult or child who appeared to me to be approaching anywhere near what could be regarded as any stage of starvation.

I did witness loads of chubby kids stuffing their faces with takeaway McDonalds whilst jabbing their podgy little fingers at expensive smartphones.

If people or supermarkets wish to donate to give away free food to people then thats up to them and best of luck to both donators and recipients. But to use people quite naturally grabbing free food as any sort of political statement is ludicrous.

What is wrong however is the miserly pensions paid to our OAPs which inevitably puts them under pressure and of course the total incompetence of the Government and civil service in delaying benefit payments for weeks and sometimes months on end causing unecessary hardship which really should be resulting in sacked managers along with the politicians responsible
Food bank Growth on 12:43 - Jul 16 with 4278 viewsoldcob

Unless there are footballers queuing up for food in the food banks Alfie, I'd hazard a guess to say you were on the wrong board.
Food bank Growth on 12:47 - Jul 16 with 4253 viewsAlfieMooresSon

Food bank Growth on 12:04 - Jul 16 by BarrySwan

In 45 years of being a gas engineer constantly working in homes in both 'well off' areas and some of the roughest council estates in the UK I never once came across anyone, adult or child who appeared to me to be approaching anywhere near what could be regarded as any stage of starvation.

I did witness loads of chubby kids stuffing their faces with takeaway McDonalds whilst jabbing their podgy little fingers at expensive smartphones.

If people or supermarkets wish to donate to give away free food to people then thats up to them and best of luck to both donators and recipients. But to use people quite naturally grabbing free food as any sort of political statement is ludicrous.

What is wrong however is the miserly pensions paid to our OAPs which inevitably puts them under pressure and of course the total incompetence of the Government and civil service in delaying benefit payments for weeks and sometimes months on end causing unecessary hardship which really should be resulting in sacked managers along with the politicians responsible

I agree, I bet there are loads of old people very close to the breadline that would be too proud to use them, and probably are the neediest!
Food bank Growth on 12:48 - Jul 16 with 4250 viewsNeath_Jack

Wow.

Chubby kids? Starvation?

You forgot to mention their wide screen TV's.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Food bank Growth on 12:48 - Jul 16 with 4248 viewsAlfieMooresSon

Food bank Growth on 12:43 - Jul 16 by oldcob

Unless there are footballers queuing up for food in the food banks Alfie, I'd hazard a guess to say you were on the wrong board.

Have you looked at the board????

There's more than this which is not football?????????

The next four at this time are extinction rebellion protesters, Pop, Len McClusky and Tattoos, if you hadn't noticed there is feck all football news about!
[Post edited 16 Jul 2019 12:52]
Food bank Growth on 12:53 - Jul 16 with 4216 viewsNeath_Jack

Food bank Growth on 12:48 - Jul 16 by AlfieMooresSon

Have you looked at the board????

There's more than this which is not football?????????

The next four at this time are extinction rebellion protesters, Pop, Len McClusky and Tattoos, if you hadn't noticed there is feck all football news about!
[Post edited 16 Jul 2019 12:52]

That's because you are viewing the board as all posts, whereas the other chap is viewing the football only board.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.

Login to get fewer ads

Food bank Growth on 12:54 - Jul 16 with 4207 viewsGlyn1

I don't buy the implication that a lot of people using food banks are greedy, feckless or lazy. It seems to me that a lot of them work 40 hour weeks on the minimum wage (or less after deductions) and struggle to bring up a family with 2 or 3 children. As for Senior Citizens being paid a "miserly" pension of £9,000 a year, they haven't suffered in the last few years recession, unlike people just starting out in life.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Food bank Growth on 12:54 - Jul 16 with 4204 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Food bank Growth on 12:53 - Jul 16 by Neath_Jack

That's because you are viewing the board as all posts, whereas the other chap is viewing the football only board.

Schooled

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Food bank Growth on 12:56 - Jul 16 with 4194 viewsAlfieMooresSon

OK yes I see !!!

Why would anyone view it as football only when there is feck all football news?
Food bank Growth on 12:56 - Jul 16 with 4191 viewsGlyn1

Except this Food Banks topic is in the Football Only section.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Food bank Growth on 13:01 - Jul 16 with 4175 viewsAlfieMooresSon

Food bank Growth on 12:56 - Jul 16 by Glyn1

Yes my mistake, I view in all and assumed all not related were in the football only section!

A mod can move it if you want?
Food bank Growth on 13:08 - Jul 16 with 4151 viewsNeath_Jack

Food bank Growth on 12:56 - Jul 16 by Glyn1

And?

I don't care what posts are in what section as I view all posts anyway.

Some people keep to the sections, other's don't.

It bothers some people as they don't want to read the countless inane dribble that's posted all the time.

Food bank Growth on 13:20 - Jul 16 with 4119 viewslegoman

Food bank Growth on 13:08 - Jul 16 by Neath_Jack

And?

I don't care what posts are in what section as I view all posts anyway.

Some people keep to the sections, other's don't.

It bothers some people as they don't want to read the countless inane dribble that's posted all the time.

I'd vote for an Inane Dribble board

"M'sieur, you said your dog did not bite!" "That's not my dog"

Food bank Growth on 14:12 - Jul 16 with 4055 viewsLeonWasGod

Food bank Growth on 13:01 - Jul 16 by AlfieMooresSon

Yes my mistake, I view in all and assumed all not related were in the football only section!

A mod can move it if you want?

"A mod can move it if you want"

Woah, steady on. Have you seen the state of our mods?
Food bank Growth on 14:31 - Jul 16 with 4030 viewsWingstandwood

I'll make a suggestion that there is a connection with the upsurge of insecure employment, zero hour contracts, the gig economy, lack of full time permanent jobs and working poverty.

I make that suggestion again also because?..... Once upon a time there were no food banks.

When things were so much 'easier' for the working class, in times when the working class was treated with greater decency and morally higher standards?...The food bank phenomena did not exist......

Not everyone has a ( more of a bygone age) guaranteed 'job-for-life', a mega upcoming inheritance from a rich Aunt, nice pot of money in the bank, ISA's or an investment portfolio paying out dividends. Many of us should indeed thank our lucky stars and have empathy for the lesser fortunate.

Argus!

Food bank Growth on 14:32 - Jul 16 with 4029 viewsBarrySwan

Food bank Growth on 12:54 - Jul 16 by Glyn1

I don't buy the implication that a lot of people using food banks are greedy, feckless or lazy. It seems to me that a lot of them work 40 hour weeks on the minimum wage (or less after deductions) and struggle to bring up a family with 2 or 3 children. As for Senior Citizens being paid a "miserly" pension of £9,000 a year, they haven't suffered in the last few years recession, unlike people just starting out in life.

Well apart from not really having a scooby about what you're talking about.

If you wish to live on £9,000 a year whether as an OAP or someone younger give it a go.

I've no idea why pointing out the poverty levels of UK pensions compared to those in other Western European countries should attract some rhetoric about OAPs not suffering in a recent recession.
Food bank Growth on 16:50 - Jul 16 with 3909 viewsDr_Winston

Food bank Growth on 11:57 - Jul 16 by TenbySwan

There are checks.

Not strictly true. People can self refer to foodbanks but they prefer a referral from the organisations you mention. Also the three visits is within six months, not total. Also TT themselves can choose to issue more than three. It's down to them.

Also Trussell Trust aren't the only Foodbank provider in the Swansea area.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Food bank Growth on 18:29 - Jul 16 with 3794 viewsjack2jack

I'm pretty sure I've read on a few occasions that the number of kids living on or below the poverty line in Wales is horrendous, just saying like, and I don't dispute what you've seen with your own eyes.
Food bank Growth on 20:31 - Jul 16 with 3699 viewsBadlands

Food bank Growth on 18:29 - Jul 16 by jack2jack

I'm pretty sure I've read on a few occasions that the number of kids living on or below the poverty line in Wales is horrendous, just saying like, and I don't dispute what you've seen with your own eyes.

UK has 9 of he 10poorest regions in eastern / Northern Europe.
Partly driven by location but closely linked to Thatchers decimation of heavy industry with no buffer or alternative and the use of austerity (poorest pay most as % of earnings) since 2010.
Since 2016 our economy has continued to fall and outside the EU we can expect (according to many architects of Brexit) decades more of the same or worse.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Food bank Growth on 22:57 - Jul 16 with 3579 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Food bank Growth on 20:31 - Jul 16 by Badlands

UK has 9 of he 10poorest regions in eastern / Northern Europe.
Partly driven by location but closely linked to Thatchers decimation of heavy industry with no buffer or alternative and the use of austerity (poorest pay most as % of earnings) since 2010.
Since 2016 our economy has continued to fall and outside the EU we can expect (according to many architects of Brexit) decades more of the same or worse.

Are you really serious about the UK have 9 of the top 10 poorest region in Europe. Can you name them. I am sure there are many poorer regions in Romania, Czech, Slovakia, Poland etc which have lower living standards than the UK.
That is why millions of there citizens are working in the UK.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Food bank Growth on 23:08 - Jul 16 with 3568 viewsbuilthjack

It's very sad that in this day and age people have to basically beg for food. Scandalous.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Food bank Growth on 08:01 - Jul 17 with 3453 viewsAlfieMooresSon

Food bank Growth on 14:31 - Jul 16 by Wingstandwood

I'll make a suggestion that there is a connection with the upsurge of insecure employment, zero hour contracts, the gig economy, lack of full time permanent jobs and working poverty.

I make that suggestion again also because?..... Once upon a time there were no food banks.

When things were so much 'easier' for the working class, in times when the working class was treated with greater decency and morally higher standards?...The food bank phenomena did not exist......

Not everyone has a ( more of a bygone age) guaranteed 'job-for-life', a mega upcoming inheritance from a rich Aunt, nice pot of money in the bank, ISA's or an investment portfolio paying out dividends. Many of us should indeed thank our lucky stars and have empathy for the lesser fortunate.

Good post, that puts a different perspective on it!
Food bank Growth on 18:10 - Jul 17 with 3348 viewsladyjack

I wonder if its a bit of a culture shock for Leanne coming down from the Rhondda to Swansea and seeing such deprivation ?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024