Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Watching the game with learning difficulties 09:03 - Jul 24 with 9289 viewscsf

My wife and I currently look after an adult with learning needs, ADHD, mild Autism etc. She is desperate to come with me to a few games this season, probably more to do with spending time with me than the football. I'm a bit wary of how she will cope in the stadium. So as a tester, I'm taking her with me to the Atalanta game on the Saturday. Anyone have much experience taking others with needs to matches? Any tips to make it as stess free as possible for her?

Only things i've thought of so far is getting some seats that are in a bit of space as opposed to right in the middle of a load of people. (Not that I can do that when the season comes)
Watching the game with learning difficulties on 19:55 - Jul 27 with 1720 viewscsf

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and help. We went down today, the seats were booked in row w that she dound too high. She wanted to leave after about 5 minutes but stayed.

Saw a member of staff from college at half time which was good. Second half was more difficult, she brought headphones with her but they didn't drown put the cheers for the chances and the goals.

Achieved want we wanted to. She knows now she wont want to come in the season, and I got to see 80+ minutes of a good game.
Watching the game with learning difficulties on 20:19 - Jul 27 with 1679 viewsdickythorpe

Well done csf. You did what your daughter wanted by letting her experience a game like she'd asked.
Watching the game with learning difficulties on 20:22 - Jul 27 with 1673 viewsBadlands

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 19:55 - Jul 27 by csf

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and help. We went down today, the seats were booked in row w that she dound too high. She wanted to leave after about 5 minutes but stayed.

Saw a member of staff from college at half time which was good. Second half was more difficult, she brought headphones with her but they didn't drown put the cheers for the chances and the goals.

Achieved want we wanted to. She knows now she wont want to come in the season, and I got to see 80+ minutes of a good game.

Outstanding of the first game.
Well done both.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 21:45 - Jul 27 with 1610 viewsGlyn1

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 16:54 - Jul 24 by Fireboy2

Good to know SV.

i wonder what dwight will say to that.

I or you, or Dwight to be fair, couldn't care less. It's about looking after our people properly and it sounds like the people at our club are trying to do that. And the person who wrote the first message deserves a medal.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 22:01 - Jul 27 with 1592 viewsFireboy2

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 21:45 - Jul 27 by Glyn1

I or you, or Dwight to be fair, couldn't care less. It's about looking after our people properly and it sounds like the people at our club are trying to do that. And the person who wrote the first message deserves a medal.

Certainly Glyn but that cvnt dwight is always looking for any subject to be negative about but this time i think hes gone too far.
Watching the game with learning difficulties on 22:11 - Jul 27 with 1576 viewsSwansea_Viking

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 09:04 - Jul 24 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

The club had an opportunity to install a sensory room for people like the adult you care for. They declined to do so.

You were saying Dwight.....
This is from the Disabled Supporters Association Facebook page. Sorry, don’t know how to link:
Here is the DSA secretary’s daughter, Claire, trialling the new pop-up sensory room at the Liberty today.
The DSA and the then Club disability officer at the club, Andrew Williams, first spoke about a sensory room back in July 2017, and the DSA have constantly worked with the club, and offered to fund equipment for the sensory room - and here is the fantastic result.
Mark Phillips, club DAO, continued with the push for a sensory room when he began working at the Liberty.
Today, he met us at reception and took us to the sensory room where he showed us how to use the bubble tube, sensory lights. projector, and music.
As he had seen our Claire touching the grass during the Halloween tour last year, he had also supplied some ”grass” for tactile use.
He also noticed that she was flinching during the 2 announcements that the gates were to be opened soon, and had also noticed her anxiety on arrival when walking into reception passed crowds of supporters.
Mark explained about the caterers outside the room, and that we could ask them for drinks if we required, and he showed us where the disabled toilets were.
Claire relaxed on the bean bags, supplied by the DSA, and fiddled with the sensory lights and grass, and was mesmerised by the rubble tube, especially speeding it up snd slowing it down.
She did manage to get outside and watch some of the game during the first half, and also the second half, but did find it quite noisy at times, and was grateful to escape to the calmness and quietness of the sensory room.
Thanks to Kev Johns, DSA Lifetime president, who came into see us, and also Trevor Birch and Chris Pearlman.
Mark is working on a welcome pack, and as things develop further, information on booking etc will be made available.
Diolch

You Stupid Boy!

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 22:20 - Jul 27 with 1559 viewsDarran

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 22:11 - Jul 27 by Swansea_Viking

This is from the Disabled Supporters Association Facebook page. Sorry, don’t know how to link:
Here is the DSA secretary’s daughter, Claire, trialling the new pop-up sensory room at the Liberty today.
The DSA and the then Club disability officer at the club, Andrew Williams, first spoke about a sensory room back in July 2017, and the DSA have constantly worked with the club, and offered to fund equipment for the sensory room - and here is the fantastic result.
Mark Phillips, club DAO, continued with the push for a sensory room when he began working at the Liberty.
Today, he met us at reception and took us to the sensory room where he showed us how to use the bubble tube, sensory lights. projector, and music.
As he had seen our Claire touching the grass during the Halloween tour last year, he had also supplied some ”grass” for tactile use.
He also noticed that she was flinching during the 2 announcements that the gates were to be opened soon, and had also noticed her anxiety on arrival when walking into reception passed crowds of supporters.
Mark explained about the caterers outside the room, and that we could ask them for drinks if we required, and he showed us where the disabled toilets were.
Claire relaxed on the bean bags, supplied by the DSA, and fiddled with the sensory lights and grass, and was mesmerised by the rubble tube, especially speeding it up snd slowing it down.
She did manage to get outside and watch some of the game during the first half, and also the second half, but did find it quite noisy at times, and was grateful to escape to the calmness and quietness of the sensory room.
Thanks to Kev Johns, DSA Lifetime president, who came into see us, and also Trevor Birch and Chris Pearlman.
Mark is working on a welcome pack, and as things develop further, information on booking etc will be made available.
Diolch

There’s a photo on Twitter Ian is there a photo on the Facebook page too?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 22:21 - Jul 27 with 1560 viewsSwansea_Viking

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 22:20 - Jul 27 by Darran

There’s a photo on Twitter Ian is there a photo on the Facebook page too?

Yes a few. Dunno how to link it though, I’m not as brainy as you Darran!

You Stupid Boy!

Login to get fewer ads

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 22:24 - Jul 27 with 1552 viewsFireboy2

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 22:11 - Jul 27 by Swansea_Viking

Diolch

Good to know that claire got looked after by the club, onwards and upwards my friend.
Watching the game with learning difficulties on 22:27 - Jul 27 with 1546 viewsDarran

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 22:21 - Jul 27 by Swansea_Viking

Yes a few. Dunno how to link it though, I’m not as brainy as you Darran!

And dontcha forget it.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 22:29 - Jul 27 with 1543 viewsFireboy2

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 22:27 - Jul 27 by Darran

And dontcha forget it.

Absolutely fantastic.

Well done Dar for posting those great photos.
Watching the game with learning difficulties on 22:43 - Jul 27 with 1525 viewsexiledclaseboy

Cath Dyer does so much work as part of the DSA and it’s brilliant to see her daughter enjoying herself today.

Poll: Tory leader

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 22:45 - Jul 27 with 1521 viewsSwansea_Viking

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 22:27 - Jul 27 by Darran

And dontcha forget it.

You Stupid Boy!

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 22:47 - Jul 27 with 1513 viewsSwansea_Viking

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 22:43 - Jul 27 by exiledclaseboy

Cath Dyer does so much work as part of the DSA and it’s brilliant to see her daughter enjoying herself today.

Exactly. Cath has been there right from the beginning. She was a great help to me when the DSA was set up. She is an absolute diamond.

You Stupid Boy!

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 23:03 - Jul 27 with 1498 viewsmajorraglan

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 14:58 - Jul 24 by pantyjack

I’m taking my two children down sat as well they both have server learning difficulties etc. Took them both down to seperate games last season my daughter lasted till kick off then wanted to leave as it was to much for her , what with the noise, all the people walking around outside. Took my son to the millwall game he was more Interested in the police than the football 😢 he lasted 5 min into the game. Few mistakes I made was on both occasions we got there to early , they lost interest. We sat in the west stand and I never realised how loud the tannoy system was in the Liberty, so got ear defenders for my daughter this time., and I’ll probanly go onto ground about 15:05 just so everything has calmed down a bit, easier for them both to process the occasion. It’s a long process but if we can stay for 20mins this time I’ll be happy, then build on that through the season would be my best advis. I’ll be the on walking around the concourse in the west stand with my daughter in her pushchair, my dad took me down to my first game in 1983 so my children WILL like the swans 😂

Be interested to know how you got on today, hopefully the kids really enjoyed and you got to see a lot of the game. I really hope it worked out for you.

The club has come along way, but there’s more to go. Let’s hope the club can further improve matters for disabled supporters and their families.
Watching the game with learning difficulties on 23:08 - Jul 27 with 1491 viewsexiledclaseboy

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 22:47 - Jul 27 by Swansea_Viking

Exactly. Cath has been there right from the beginning. She was a great help to me when the DSA was set up. She is an absolute diamond.

I’ve nothing but respect for Cath. What she does for her family, the trust and the DSA demands that respect. Lovely person as well.

Poll: Tory leader

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 00:23 - Jul 28 with 1454 viewsPhil_S

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 09:04 - Jul 24 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

The club had an opportunity to install a sensory room for people like the adult you care for. They declined to do so.

I don't want to make you look a tw*t but I'm going to as a sensory room was trialled at the Atalanta friendly and I believe had very good reviews

Edit: should have read the whole thread first as you already looked a tw*t Dwight 😂

This post has been edited by an administrator
Watching the game with learning difficulties on 07:54 - Jul 28 with 1374 viewscsf

Thanks all. Had a look at the stuff about the pop-up senory room. It looks great, really good. Am I right inthinking, it's essentially mobile equipment that the club installs into any of the boxes that are free for that particular game?

Looks like the sort of thing that would work really well for the lady my wife and I look after. I like the idea of her being able to pop out when she feels like it to watch the game. Impressive stuff.
Watching the game with learning difficulties on 08:17 - Jul 28 with 1358 viewsSwansea_Viking

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 07:54 - Jul 28 by csf

Thanks all. Had a look at the stuff about the pop-up senory room. It looks great, really good. Am I right inthinking, it's essentially mobile equipment that the club installs into any of the boxes that are free for that particular game?

Looks like the sort of thing that would work really well for the lady my wife and I look after. I like the idea of her being able to pop out when she feels like it to watch the game. Impressive stuff.

If you contact Mark Phillips or Cath Dyer on the details I gave you they will be able to provide the latest details.
Good luck and I hope you and your family and friends enjoy a few games this season.

You Stupid Boy!

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 08:43 - Jul 28 with 1342 views3swan

Watching the game with learning difficulties on 23:08 - Jul 27 by exiledclaseboy

I’ve nothing but respect for Cath. What she does for her family, the trust and the DSA demands that respect. Lovely person as well.

Well done to all involved in this initiative. As you've shown respect for the work Cath has done it goes to highlight issues the Trust gets involved in quietly in the background. Great to see an outcome that puts a smile on a fans face
Watching the game with learning difficulties on 16:55 - Oct 4 with 1093 viewscsf

https://www.swanseacity.com/news/swansea-city-launch-sensory-room

Good time to bump this as I'm guessing a certain poster can't wait to applaud the club over this development.
Watching the game with learning difficulties on 18:59 - Oct 4 with 1034 viewsGlyn1

And congratulations from us to you and your wife for doing this. Unsung heroes.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024