Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Yanks don't seem so bad. 19:27 - Jul 25 with 10361 viewsjackrmee

Cue the down arrows and hate haha.

Reason I say this is because of the Birch appointment, the way they've given him almost total control to enable him to build a, quite frankly, highly exciting backroom team and potential for our club.

OK, player signings have been slow and last years clearout was harsh, but it really seems like we are moving forward now.

I am extremely happy with the non playing staff we have acquired this year and although we are only looking at loans or free transfers in this transfer window, these non players are definitely not free or cheap. They are a mix of young and hungry, and experienced and knowledgeable.

We are most definitely moving forward.

The words of our new head of recruitment shows that he is looking to be here for a while to come and I think he may just be the dogs bollocks (even though I didn't really know his background before).
If anyone is not chuffed with this article, they must be already dead (or a Cardiff fan) https://www.swanseacity.com/news/andy-scott-hopes-further-swansea-city-additions

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Yanks don't seem so bad. on 10:16 - Jul 26 with 1651 viewsJacket

Yanks don't seem so bad. on 09:00 - Jul 26 by jack247

Jesus. This thread is the football equivalent of Stockholm syndrome.

Have you actually read any posts in the thread. My post, and many others, certainly don't seem like any Stockholm Syndrome. Basically all I'm saying they've done two good decisions - which are bringing Birch in and butting out of his decisions.

At the mo they're still a bunch of Yankers as far as I'm concerned.
Yanks don't seem so bad. on 10:21 - Jul 26 with 1638 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Yanks don't seem so bad. on 09:00 - Jul 26 by jack247

Jesus. This thread is the football equivalent of Stockholm syndrome.

We are where we are. They don’t really give a sh*t about us but they are trying to make us a saleable assent again. That isn’t bad news.
They’re guilty of oversight dereliction with regards to Huw’s disastrous spending but they’re trying to make things right again. What else do you want them to do?
They could loan us money at 7% interest and foreclose when we can’t pay it back (the last thing I or any of us should want). Come on, you’re one of the sensible ones on here mun!

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Yanks don't seem so bad. on 10:28 - Jul 26 with 1625 viewsBadlands

Yanks don't seem so bad. on 09:48 - Jul 26 by Jinxy

It's a bit like blaming a bad manager in a work environment isn't it. The blame lies with whoever appointed and manages him/her in the first place. The sellers sold irresponsibly, quickly and covertly - evidently not really caring as to the integrity or intentions of the buyers. I'd prefer different owners tbh, ones who would invest as oppose to just look for profit.

However I agree with the OP in that (probably in the quest to make the club as attractive as possible sale-wise), they have at long last made the right appointments and cut out some deadwood that was dragging us even further down. There's not that much bad news in all of that (history apart) when you analyse it.

'The sellers sold irresponsibly, ....'
The consortium had already taken on a number of sports franchises / teams
'Ultimately there can be no doubting they boast an experience of sporting business, certainly in the case of Levien who has a background as an high-profile NBA agent following a career as an attorney, but has since gone on to perform roles in buy-ins at three different sport franchises: the Philadelphia 76ers, the Memphis Grizzlies and DC United.
He has also worked in an executive/management role at the latter two having also performed a similar ‘front office’ post at the Sacramento Kings.'
They had strong connection and partnership with Erick Thorhild , (Philadelphia 76ers, Satria Muda - basketball team, Indonesian Basketball Association (PERBASI / Persatuan Bola Basket Seluruh Indonesia), President of SEABA (Southeast Asian Basketball Association), Chairman of National Olympic Committee for 2015—2019, DC United, Oxford United and Inter Milan,- a veritable novice in the world of sport.

The sellers sold ...... covertly -
The Trust was well aware of the intention of the main shareholders to divest themselves of shares.
(Feb 2015
'Swansea City director Huw Cooze is hopeful the club will receive American investment but insists the Supporters' Trust shares are not for sale.' This was the Moores / Noell. But wheels had been set in motion.
Then, reported in April before the purchase but after stating they would never sell their shares.
'The Trust — as they have stated — have already received assurances from Levien over some of the group’s intentions, which include the Trust retaining both their 21.1% shareholding and seat in the boardroom while it has been stressed from sources close to the deal that they see the community connection as key.'

'evidently not really caring as to the integrity or intentions of the buyers.' to hold majority shares in a successful club and world wide brand??? They have never claimed to be anything are not.
'I'd prefer different owners tbh, ones who would invest as oppose to just look for profit.' There is no evidence these shareholders are in it simply for profit. Like any sane investor / owner they will at some stage look for some profit.
The idea that some unicorn investor will come along hoover up all the shares, churn out £££millions from their own pocket and give it all to the Trust is fantasy land.
When that question was put to Pearlman the response, after his initial guffaws, was, If we know of any he'd pass the information on with the assurance the American consortium would listen.
And Birch, after his initial guffaws, simply commented , 'they don't exist.'

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/men-behind-swansea-ci

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Yanks don't seem so bad. on 10:31 - Jul 26 with 1614 viewsFireboy2

Yanks don't seem so bad. on 10:28 - Jul 26 by Badlands

'Ultimately there can be no doubting they boast an experience of sporting business, certainly in the case of Levien who has a background as an high-profile NBA agent following a career as an attorney, but has since gone on to perform roles in buy-ins at three different sport franchises: the Philadelphia 76ers, the Memphis Grizzlies and DC United.
He has also worked in an executive/management role at the latter two having also performed a similar ‘front office’ post at the Sacramento Kings.'
They had strong connection and partnership with Erick Thorhild , (Philadelphia 76ers, Satria Muda - basketball team, Indonesian Basketball Association (PERBASI / Persatuan Bola Basket Seluruh Indonesia), President of SEABA (Southeast Asian Basketball Association), Chairman of National Olympic Committee for 2015—2019, DC United, Oxford United and Inter Milan,- a veritable novice in the world of sport.

The Trust was well aware of the intention of the main shareholders to divest themselves of shares.
(Feb 2015
'Swansea City director Huw Cooze is hopeful the club will receive American investment but insists the Supporters' Trust shares are not for sale.' This was the Moores / Noell. But wheels had been set in motion.
Then, reported in April before the purchase but after stating they would never sell their shares.
'The Trust — as they have stated — have already received assurances from Levien over some of the group’s intentions, which include the Trust retaining both their 21.1% shareholding and seat in the boardroom while it has been stressed from sources close to the deal that they see the community connection as key.'

'evidently not really caring as to the integrity or intentions of the buyers.' to hold majority shares in a successful club and world wide brand??? They have never claimed to be anything are not.
'I'd prefer different owners tbh, ones who would invest as oppose to just look for profit.' There is no evidence these shareholders are in it simply for profit. Like any sane investor / owner they will at some stage look for some profit.
The idea that some unicorn investor will come along hoover up all the shares, churn out £££millions from their own pocket and give it all to the Trust is fantasy land.
When that question was put to Pearlman the response, after his initial guffaws, was, If we know of any he'd pass the information on with the assurance the American consortium would listen.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/men-behind-swansea-ci

Thought you would back the sellouts.
Yanks don't seem so bad. on 10:55 - Jul 26 with 1584 viewsdobjack2

Yanks don't seem so bad. on 08:38 - Jul 26 by jackrmee

Bury? Haven't got a clue who their owners are.

I'm not saying we have the best owners in the world. Far from. Just saying that they are not the evil asset strippers we are being led to believe.

They are definitely building things now, not ripping things apart.
Yes, they are a hedge fund and want to make money, but so do 90% of club's owners and many are far worse.

We have a plan now, by the looks of it and it's starting to show. The seeds are being sown at a decent rate. Hopefully we can keep moving forward slowly and will bear fruit in a couple of years.
I'm confident we will be back in the prem in a few years, in a steady ship, with a very solid base.

Don’t need to know who the Bury owner is just look at the mess they are in.

That however is my point. At present they are not the worst owners that we could have: there is no evidence of asset stripping and they have brought in someone competent to run their business. A business is all we are to them which is why they don’t really give a flying one about the fans (unless income streams drop) or the area.

Birch looks as if he is trying to build bridges as it is good for the business, and happy fans spend money which is good for the business.

The initial blame lies with the people that sold out their shares without appearing to undertake any due diligence on the new owners and the way they did it.

The new owners believed the fairy story JTAK and let the business carry on without any real oversight resulting in a financial mess.
Yanks don't seem so bad. on 11:30 - Jul 26 with 1563 viewsNotLoyal

Yanks don't seem so bad. on 20:46 - Jul 25 by BillyChong

They can’t be far off from filling ‘the black hole’ now surely.

Another one without any evidence will be along shortly.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Yanks don't seem so bad. on 11:33 - Jul 26 with 1560 viewsDr_Winston

As with most things, there's good and bad.

The bad is pretty obvious. The wilful sidelining of the trust even after Jenkins was moved on. The ludicrous amount of power they gave Jenkins in the first place even when he was clearly involved in things he shouldn't have been involved in. Bradley.

As for the good, despite numerous thus far unproven allegations of asset stripping we've spent a f*cking fortune on players since they took over. Spent it badly, but nobody can sensibly claim that when cash was available it wasn't invested in players. Even last season when we needed to clear the decks money was found to sign players like Celina.

Now it appears they're looking to run the club on a sensible, sustainable basis and are allowing Birch the freedom to put structures in place enabling that. This is a good thing, and overdue.

They've done a lot to make people suspicious of their actions. More through incompetence rather than malice IMO but it's understandable why they're not popular. Their decisions since Birch arrived are going some ways towards rectifying that.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Yanks don't seem so bad. on 11:36 - Jul 26 with 1553 viewsJacket

(Feb 2015

There we are then. The sell-outs did nothing wrong. You heard it here first.
Login to get fewer ads

Yanks don't seem so bad. on 12:31 - Jul 26 with 1514 viewswaynekerr55

The main mistake they made was not booting Jenkins out sooner than they did. Early days I know but the football infrastructure seems to be moving the right way

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Yanks don't seem so bad. on 13:05 - Jul 26 with 1486 viewsJinxy

(Feb 2015

Did you attend the EGM when this was first publicised way back when?

I did - and HC vehemently claimed ignorance. Ahem. I did smell a large rat mind you and did relate my view. From what I recall, and I may stand corrected of course, the Trust had previously opposed a previous move to sell, and the sellers, especially after flirting with relegation, certainly weren't going to watch their potential millions slip away, almost like Marty McFly in the photo. I also heard that the Americans didn't even realise relegation from the PL was possible! All hearsay etc. I accept. if so, lack of due diligence on their part but, as the OP suggests (and I agree), they are building albeit for selfish reasons (not that I blame them). Helmet on ready for another dissection of my post! Maybe "we" will never know the full facts, so in the interim until we do, opinions reign eh.
Yanks don't seem so bad. on 13:21 - Jul 26 with 1468 viewsDr_Winston

Yanks don't seem so bad. on 13:05 - Jul 26 by Jinxy

Did you attend the EGM when this was first publicised way back when?

I did - and HC vehemently claimed ignorance. Ahem. I did smell a large rat mind you and did relate my view. From what I recall, and I may stand corrected of course, the Trust had previously opposed a previous move to sell, and the sellers, especially after flirting with relegation, certainly weren't going to watch their potential millions slip away, almost like Marty McFly in the photo. I also heard that the Americans didn't even realise relegation from the PL was possible! All hearsay etc. I accept. if so, lack of due diligence on their part but, as the OP suggests (and I agree), they are building albeit for selfish reasons (not that I blame them). Helmet on ready for another dissection of my post! Maybe "we" will never know the full facts, so in the interim until we do, opinions reign eh.

Anyone who genuinely believes that American investors spent tens of millions investing into a football club without realising that relegation was a possibility is a fool.

Not suggesting that you do mind, but as you say, these people are out there.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Yanks don't seem so bad. on 13:42 - Jul 26 with 1442 viewsJinxy

Yanks don't seem so bad. on 13:21 - Jul 26 by Dr_Winston

Anyone who genuinely believes that American investors spent tens of millions investing into a football club without realising that relegation was a possibility is a fool.

Indeed. I do believe that, if they were honest, they would have carried out more due diligence. All in the past now though - the point of this thread really is how the Americans are currently going about their business, which as you say has "goods" and "bads". They could be an awful lot worse, and there are very encouraging signs of rebuilding on sound footings. Sell wisely, hold on to one or two starlets, maybe add here and there, keep giving our academy healthy throughput and we'll be fine.
Yanks don't seem so bad. on 19:08 - Jul 26 with 1317 viewswaynekerr55

Yanks don't seem so bad. on 13:21 - Jul 26 by Dr_Winston

Well they left Jenkins in charge and allowed him to waste tens of millions of their (hedge fund) money, stranger things have happened.

If I was them I'd be asking serious questions of whoever undertook the due dilligence

Yanks don't seem so bad. on 20:45 - Jul 26 with 1269 viewsDr_Winston

Yanks don't seem so bad. on 19:08 - Jul 26 by waynekerr55

Well they left Jenkins in charge and allowed him to waste tens of millions of their (hedge fund) money, stranger things have happened.

If I was them I'd be asking serious questions of whoever undertook the due dilligence

There's a world of difference between delegating the running of the club to someone who (on the face of it) had done a good job to that point, and doing such little research you'd spend tens of millions investing in a sports team without knowing that relegation exists.

I know people like to think the worst of them, but people like Kaplan don't get to be as wealthy as they are by being that f*cking stupid.

Yanks don't seem so bad. on 20:52 - Jul 26 with 1258 viewswaynekerr55

Yanks don't seem so bad. on 20:45 - Jul 26 by Dr_Winston

There's a world of difference between delegating the running of the club to someone who (on the face of it) had done a good job to that point, and doing such little research you'd spend tens of millions investing in a sports team without knowing that relegation exists.

I know people like to think the worst of them, but people like Kaplan don't get to be as wealthy as they are by being that f*cking stupid.

Surely the eye watering operational losses must have raised an eyebrow, no?

Yanks don't seem so bad. on 21:11 - Jul 26 with 1242 viewsLuther27

I've had the misfortune to work for two companies taken over by American Multi Nationals. Believe you me the arrogant bstads micro manage to the nth degree with the view that they really do know everything. This lot are no different from what I've seen on the surface.
Yanks don't seem so bad. on 21:19 - Jul 26 with 1233 viewsbuilthjack

Bunch of cnts.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Yanks don't seem so bad. on 22:00 - Jul 26 with 1190 viewsDr_Winston

Yanks don't seem so bad. on 20:52 - Jul 26 by waynekerr55

Surely the eye watering operational losses must have raised an eyebrow, no?

Operational year ending 31/07/17 a profit of £13.4m was declared. Less than a year later we were in the Championship and skint.

They trusted Jenkins. They weren't the first to make that mistake. At least they appear to be learning the lessons from that.

Yanks don't seem so bad. on 22:24 - Jul 26 with 1162 viewswaynekerr55

Yanks don't seem so bad. on 22:00 - Jul 26 by Dr_Winston

Operational year ending 31/07/17 a profit of £13.4m was declared. Less than a year later we were in the Championship and skint.

They trusted Jenkins. They weren't the first to make that mistake. At least they appear to be learning the lessons from that.

Have a closer look and we were always needing to sell, other income streams were pìss poor.

But yes, they seem to be doing the right thing

Yanks don't seem so bad. on 22:29 - Jul 26 with 1159 viewsDr_Winston

Yanks don't seem so bad. on 22:24 - Jul 26 by waynekerr55

Have a closer look and we were always needing to sell, other income streams were pìss poor.

But yes, they seem to be doing the right thing

Almost every club everywhere needs to sell. Clubs with a wage/turnover ratio like we did even more so. Our other income streams were piss poor because we left rank amateurs in charge when we should have been making hay. That problem pre-dated the Americans.

There's nothing new there.

Yanks don't seem so bad. on 23:20 - Jul 26 with 1115 viewsLuther27

Yanks don't seem so bad. on 22:29 - Jul 26 by Dr_Winston

Almost every club everywhere needs to sell. Clubs with a wage/turnover ratio like we did even more so. Our other income streams were piss poor because we left rank amateurs in charge when we should have been making hay. That problem pre-dated the Americans.

There's nothing new there.

Thing is no matter how well we did in the Premiership always remember we are a South Wakes club and of not a jot of interest to major sponsors. I can't think of any major sponsor who came knocking at our door after a pretty good run in the first three years at the top level wanting to chuck a few million in our pockets.
Yanks don't seem so bad. on 00:16 - Jul 27 with 1087 viewsNotLoyal

Yanks don't seem so bad. on 10:31 - Jul 26 by Fireboy2

Thought you would back the sellouts.

Problem is the initial American deal was knocked back by the trust hence the reason why the second offer from Kaplan and Levien was done behind their backs. Either that or the trust are lying ...

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Yanks don't seem so bad. on 00:20 - Jul 27 with 1086 viewslonglostjack

Oaktree also screwed up with an investment in Beluga Shipping. Nobody is infallible.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Yanks don't seem so bad. on 08:14 - Jul 27 with 985 viewswaynekerr55

Yanks don't seem so bad. on 23:20 - Jul 26 by Luther27

Thing is no matter how well we did in the Premiership always remember we are a South Wakes club and of not a jot of interest to major sponsors. I can't think of any major sponsor who came knocking at our door after a pretty good run in the first three years at the top level wanting to chuck a few million in our pockets.

Take Norwich for example - I remember one discussion on here that they had something like 20+ corporate partners. They too are located in the back of beyond, its miles away.

Yanks don't seem so bad. on 10:52 - Jul 27 with 939 viewsBadlands

Yanks don't seem so bad. on 11:36 - Jul 26 by Jacket

There we are then. The sell-outs did nothing wrong. You heard it here first.

You've heard the same thing many times over but the same unfounded speculation keeps being trotted out.
Jenkins etc. made the most of what they had and I'm not blaming them for that. For all the holier than thou crud spouted about them selling out I believe you'd have to look far and wide for a Swans fan who would not have taken the cash.
I think the Trust acted amateurishly and have expended a lot of hot air moaning about being left out of a sale they weren't gong to participate in and did know about.
Had the sellers hung on for the Trust to get their act together we'd already be bankrupt.
The only problem I have is the Americans trusted the previous administration far to long.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024