Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England's Ashes squad announced 11:44 - Jul 27 with 25318 viewsdickythorpe

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/49138107

This series will be full of twists and turns and I think it may be more even than many think.
England's Ashes squad announced on 16:30 - Aug 25 with 855 viewsunion_jack

England's Ashes squad announced on 16:23 - Aug 25 by 34dfgdf54

No other player in world cricket could do what Stokes done today. I despise the fella but he’s an out and out winner.

Deserved nomination of New Zealander of the year. He should win it now surely.

An award he has stated he doesn’t want because he plays for ENGLAND!!!

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

England's Ashes squad announced on 16:38 - Aug 25 with 822 viewssainthelens

And that is why "live" sport can be the best thing ever.
England's Ashes squad announced on 16:39 - Aug 25 with 818 viewsCooperman

England's Ashes squad announced on 16:23 - Aug 25 by bluey_the_blue

Australia threw that away; wasting the review, Lyons messing up the runout.

Gives England/UN without any Welsh momentum now.

That for me though showed that the review system being limited is flawed. In this case, Stokes was clearly LBW - umpire made wrong decision; no reviews left, cost Australia the match.

If the intent of reviews is to correct mistakes directly affecting the result, well in this case it failed.

Give me the cricket review system over VAR any day of the week.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

England's Ashes squad announced on 16:40 - Aug 25 with 816 viewsdickythorpe

England's Ashes squad announced on 16:38 - Aug 25 by sainthelens

And that is why "live" sport can be the best thing ever.

Exactly!!! The best was right at the end!
England's Ashes squad announced on 16:50 - Aug 25 with 788 viewsexiledclaseboy

Nathan Lyon. Dropped the ashes. Legend.

Poll: Tory leader

England's Ashes squad announced on 17:13 - Aug 25 with 751 views34dfgdf54

England's Ashes squad announced on 16:30 - Aug 25 by union_jack

An award he has stated he doesn’t want because he plays for ENGLAND!!!

Yuck.
England's Ashes squad announced on 17:27 - Aug 25 with 736 viewsBanosswan

That's almost the best part of it. Dropped the stumping and got a bad decision next ball.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

England's Ashes squad announced on 17:32 - Aug 25 with 724 viewsJohnw102

England's Ashes squad announced on 11:21 - Aug 25 by bluey_the_blue

England and Wales and Barbados and Kiwi and...

Same in most sports, have a look at Welsh Rugby and Football teams, same with most of the International Rugby sides.

Never knew getting old would happen so quick!

Login to get fewer ads

England's Ashes squad announced on 17:34 - Aug 25 with 718 viewsbluey_the_blue

England's Ashes squad announced on 16:25 - Aug 25 by JackSomething

The classic Bluey response to one of the most thrilling ends to a Test match ever (even Risca credits Stokes despite his wanting Australia to win). Do you take no joy out of sport?

Of course it was thrilling. Not disputing that one bit.

Was the result the correct one? No; you can fault Lyons for dropping the runout but the decision against Stokes was clearly out.

Umpire doesn't give it, Australia can't review, England win.
Umpire gives it, well not sure if England had any reviews left but even if they did, Stokes is out and Australia win.

That's why I'm out happy with the way it ended. If the aim of reviews is to get correct decisions, in this case the system failed and the "wrong" side one. In this instance the initial on field call being incorrect coupled with no review left for Australia has facilitated Australia losing.

I don't like the limited number of reviews. IMO, the limit should be removed. If a team that the piss but frivolously reviewing, then sanction them - match fees, whatever.

A fantastic last day ruined for me by the wrong result due to the flawed review system. Yes, you can say the result isn't the issue, it was exciting but what, at the end of the day, is the point of saying a match is exciting if the wrong result occurs? The integrity of the game is the key thing.

I know people will say that Lyons also lost the game by dropping the ball. Yes he did but the point for me is that Lyons mistake was on field, live action. The non review was down to an umpire mistake coupled with the review limit, off field.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2019 17:35]
England's Ashes squad announced on 17:36 - Aug 25 with 714 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Lordy lord

😂😂😂😂

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

England's Ashes squad announced on 17:37 - Aug 25 with 713 viewssainthelens

England's Ashes squad announced on 17:34 - Aug 25 by bluey_the_blue

Was the result the correct one? No; you can fault Lyons for dropping the runout but the decision against Stokes was clearly out.

Umpire gives it, well not sure if England had any reviews left but even if they did, Stokes is out and Australia win.

That's why I'm out happy with the way it ended. If the aim of reviews is to get correct decisions, in this case the system failed and the "wrong" side one. In this instance the initial on field call being incorrect coupled with no review left for Australia has facilitated Australia losing.

I don't like the limited number of reviews. IMO, the limit should be removed. If a team that the piss but frivolously reviewing, then sanction them - match fees, whatever.

A fantastic last day ruined for me by the wrong result due to the flawed review system. Yes, you can say the result isn't the issue, it was exciting but what, at the end of the day, is the point of saying a match is exciting if the wrong result occurs? The integrity of the game is the key thing.

I know people will say that Lyons also lost the game by dropping the ball. Yes he did but the point for me is that Lyons mistake was on field, live action. The non review was down to an umpire mistake coupled with the review limit, off field.

Stupid post .
All Lyons had to do was gather a ball a 10yr old could have. End of.
England's Ashes squad announced on 17:42 - Aug 25 with 710 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

England's Ashes squad announced on 17:37 - Aug 25 by sainthelens

Stupid post .

He’s never got anything right ffs

He’s a troll

And you all argue with the stupid c&nt

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

England's Ashes squad announced on 17:55 - Aug 25 with 693 viewsCooperman

Are you really this miserable, downbeat and negative in your daily life away from Planet Swans?

England's Ashes squad announced on 17:59 - Aug 25 with 690 viewsdickythorpe

By all means celebrate the victory and astonishing performance by Stokes.....but let's not kid ourselves that these are the greatest Test sides that both countries have ever fielded FFS!!!!
Nowhere near 2005 for intensity or skill.
England's Ashes squad announced on 18:06 - Aug 25 with 683 viewsunion_jack

There has been a plethora of bad decisions affecting both sides throughout this series so it’s not as if it’s all rested on that bad one.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

England's Ashes squad announced on 18:28 - Aug 25 with 662 viewsbluey_the_blue

England's Ashes squad announced on 17:37 - Aug 25 by sainthelens

Stupid post .

Indeed. He didn't.

So is your argument that Lyons mistake means bad decisions should be allowed?
England's Ashes squad announced on 18:28 - Aug 25 with 660 viewsbluey_the_blue

England's Ashes squad announced on 17:55 - Aug 25 by Cooperman

Are you really this miserable, downbeat and negative in your daily life away from Planet Swans?

Only with those unable to discuss the point being made.
England's Ashes squad announced on 18:32 - Aug 25 with 651 viewsbluey_the_blue

England's Ashes squad announced on 18:06 - Aug 25 by union_jack

There has been a plethora of bad decisions affecting both sides throughout this series so it’s not as if it’s all rested on that bad one.

There have - in this case the one bad umpire call prevented Australia winning.

For me, there should be no review limit. The whole point of reviews is to get the right decision made. As you said, there's been a plethora so why limit?

Yes, the point is that by limiting you're reducing the number of speculative reviews being called for. I get that some teams, captains would try to game the system with "unlimited" reviews. That can be dealt with by match fee fines and other sanctions.

The point of reviews is to get the *right* decision made. In this case, the system was flawed. If out had been the verdict and England challenged, the decision would have been an Australia win. Australia had no reviews so wrong decision decided the match. I can't believe that's why the review system came in.
England's Ashes squad announced on 18:36 - Aug 25 with 648 viewssainthelens

England's Ashes squad announced on 18:28 - Aug 25 by bluey_the_blue

Indeed. He didn't.

So is your argument that Lyons mistake means bad decisions should be allowed?

Point is it was such a basic schoolboy error, then any bad umpiring calls shouldn't have mattered. There have been bad decisions throughout this game and the series. It's like a striker missing from a yard out with nobody to stop the shot, and whinging bout the ref.
England's Ashes squad announced on 18:55 - Aug 25 with 634 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

England's Ashes squad announced on 17:59 - Aug 25 by dickythorpe

By all means celebrate the victory and astonishing performance by Stokes.....but let's not kid ourselves that these are the greatest Test sides that both countries have ever fielded FFS!!!!
Nowhere near 2005 for intensity or skill.

Both sides have weaknesses but it makes for unpredictable and exciting cricket. Stokes played one of the greatest innings to win a test match today. England made 67 and their highest score to win a test match, bonkers!

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

England's Ashes squad announced on 19:06 - Aug 25 with 629 viewsCooperman

England's Ashes squad announced on 18:28 - Aug 25 by bluey_the_blue

Only with those unable to discuss the point being made.

Yeah yeah, never mind the quips.

Even the Aussies are hailing it as an unbelievable day of cricket and yet you’re proclaiming that your day was ruined.

England's Ashes squad announced on 19:06 - Aug 25 with 629 viewsbluey_the_blue

England's Ashes squad announced on 18:36 - Aug 25 by sainthelens

Point is it was such a basic schoolboy error, then any bad umpiring calls shouldn't have mattered. There have been bad decisions throughout this game and the series. It's like a striker missing from a yard out with nobody to stop the shot, and whinging bout the ref.

Lyons mistake was an on field action though, part of the game.

The non decision on the lbw was engendered by the rules and application of the review system, highlighting flaws in it.

I don't get the "many bad decisions" argument. It's as if they nominally balance out or something - the tech is there to eradicate bad decisions full stop and should be used to do so, otherwise it gets to the point a certain level of mistakes by umpires is tolerated.

Even if decisions did even out, this one was absolutely decisive in delivering the result. An Aussie bowler gets a bad decision against them when bowling at openers, no wickets down - there's time to correct. In this instance, the right decision ends the game. So for me, regardless of other bad decisions, this one was absolutely critical to the result.

Since I've argued this point to death and clearly have a bunch of heathens not agreeing, last post on topic.

An England / UN win was best for the series though. Keeps it alive, keeps the interest in there. England / UN have the momentum now, Aussies no doubt deflated having done everything right until this afternoon. Will Starc play?
England's Ashes squad announced on 19:07 - Aug 25 with 625 viewsbluey_the_blue

England's Ashes squad announced on 19:06 - Aug 25 by Cooperman

Yeah yeah, never mind the quips.

Even the Aussies are hailing it as an unbelievable day of cricket and yet you’re proclaiming that your day was ruined.

It was an unbelievable day of cricket.

No, my day was not ruined nor am I proclaiming it was. Indeed, Spurs loss means I get to mock the wife.
England's Ashes squad announced on 19:10 - Aug 25 with 622 viewsSwanjaxs

England's Ashes squad announced on 19:07 - Aug 25 by bluey_the_blue

It was an unbelievable day of cricket.

No, my day was not ruined nor am I proclaiming it was. Indeed, Spurs loss means I get to mock the wife.

I tried to mock my wife once, it didn't end well for me and hasn't happened since mate 😫👍

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

England's Ashes squad announced on 19:25 - Aug 25 with 603 viewssainthelens

England's Ashes squad announced on 19:06 - Aug 25 by bluey_the_blue

Lyons mistake was an on field action though, part of the game.

The non decision on the lbw was engendered by the rules and application of the review system, highlighting flaws in it.

I don't get the "many bad decisions" argument. It's as if they nominally balance out or something - the tech is there to eradicate bad decisions full stop and should be used to do so, otherwise it gets to the point a certain level of mistakes by umpires is tolerated.

Even if decisions did even out, this one was absolutely decisive in delivering the result. An Aussie bowler gets a bad decision against them when bowling at openers, no wickets down - there's time to correct. In this instance, the right decision ends the game. So for me, regardless of other bad decisions, this one was absolutely critical to the result.

Since I've argued this point to death and clearly have a bunch of heathens not agreeing, last post on topic.

An England / UN win was best for the series though. Keeps it alive, keeps the interest in there. England / UN have the momentum now, Aussies no doubt deflated having done everything right until this afternoon. Will Starc play?

If you said today was Sunday I'd disagree with you.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024