Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sex Pistols 1977 20:57 - Aug 3 with 1125 viewsThrasher6

Just watching the BBC 4 programme of Top Of The Pops around 1977 and they just interviewed Nicky Wire of The Manic Street Preachers.....really...really....who was eulogizing about them....he was born in 1969...which meant he was around 9...when they came on the scene. Jesus..we all had affection for them...but there were far better examples than Manic Street Preachers..

[Post edited 3 Aug 2019 21:03]

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Sex Pistols 1977 on 21:36 - Aug 3 with 1076 viewsWingstandwood

The 70's was imo the most exciting decade for music, there was so much character and uniqueness both in sound and fashion.

Never Mind The b0llocks was a superbly produced masterpiece recorded with tender loving care and high quality control. Each and every track was a multi-layered orchestra of guitars all seasoned with extra garnishing from brilliant overdubs i.e. feedback, additional vocals and plectrum scrapes etc. The crashing Gretsch cymbals and drum sound was superb also. Funny thing i.e. the bass on the album (unlike Jean Jacques Burnel of The Stranglers) was rather faint and inconspicuous.

Always though Johnny Rotten had an utterly unique high range vocal style-sound, he sounded menacing and rather evil similar to the way Mercedes McCambridge did when she did the vocal dubbing of the demons voice in The Exorcist. Chris Thomas was a quality producer, very unpunk in fact, on MNTB there was zero ruff n' ready, d.i.y garage style, do it in one take production values to it.

Argus!

Sex Pistols 1977 on 21:53 - Aug 3 with 1046 viewsThrasher6

Sex Pistols 1977 on 21:36 - Aug 3 by Wingstandwood

The 70's was imo the most exciting decade for music, there was so much character and uniqueness both in sound and fashion.

Never Mind The b0llocks was a superbly produced masterpiece recorded with tender loving care and high quality control. Each and every track was a multi-layered orchestra of guitars all seasoned with extra garnishing from brilliant overdubs i.e. feedback, additional vocals and plectrum scrapes etc. The crashing Gretsch cymbals and drum sound was superb also. Funny thing i.e. the bass on the album (unlike Jean Jacques Burnel of The Stranglers) was rather faint and inconspicuous.

Always though Johnny Rotten had an utterly unique high range vocal style-sound, he sounded menacing and rather evil similar to the way Mercedes McCambridge did when she did the vocal dubbing of the demons voice in The Exorcist. Chris Thomas was a quality producer, very unpunk in fact, on MNTB there was zero ruff n' ready, d.i.y garage style, do it in one take production values to it.

That's a great reply Wingstandwood. They were ground breakers...

Sex Pistols 1977 on 21:55 - Aug 3 with 1039 viewsbluey_the_blue

Sex Pistols were hardly punk, just a big money grab based off punk.
Sex Pistols 1977 on 22:02 - Aug 3 with 1029 viewsThrasher6

Sex Pistols 1977 on 21:55 - Aug 3 by bluey_the_blue

We can debate that hypothesis all night...and for weeks. Look Bluey...it's been a tough day for you....time to let go....

Sex Pistols 1977 on 22:03 - Aug 3 with 1028 viewsexiledclaseboy

The Sex Pistols were the archetypal boy band. The Monkees for the 70s generation. But massively influential.

Poll: Tory leader

Sex Pistols 1977 on 22:07 - Aug 3 with 1023 viewsWingstandwood

Sex Pistols 1977 on 21:53 - Aug 3 by Thrasher6

That's a great reply Wingstandwood. They were ground breakers...

The NMTB producer Chris Thomas was the right man, for the right job, with the right band at exactly the right time.

Sex Pistols guitarist Steve Jones (who loved The Clash and in fact wanted to join them) thought The Clash let themselves down with their first album. He thought The Clash should have had a more accomplished producer do it i.e. a case of getting a professional and more prestigious and renowned name in. The Clash first album was good but could have been even better.

The Sex Pistols binned their original producer Dave Goodman who was their gig soundboard man and demo producer. Jones thought The clash made the same mistake of having a guy who I think was their soundboard guy produce their first album. Steve Jones compared the albums weak drum sound to a rustling crisp packet. The Clash were a great band however!

Argus!

Sex Pistols 1977 on 22:08 - Aug 3 with 1021 viewsbluey_the_blue

Sex Pistols 1977 on 22:03 - Aug 3 by exiledclaseboy

The Sex Pistols were the archetypal boy band. The Monkees for the 70s generation. But massively influential.

I think they were a tipping point for the hype machine to become a far bigger factor in music. Be obnoxious, gain that tag as bad boys, make money, kerching. Like the Stones without the talent or songs I guess.

Could argue they caused music to be in the state it is today to a degree.
Sex Pistols 1977 on 22:24 - Aug 3 with 993 viewsThrasher6

Sex Pistols 1977 on 22:08 - Aug 3 by bluey_the_blue

I think they were a tipping point for the hype machine to become a far bigger factor in music. Be obnoxious, gain that tag as bad boys, make money, kerching. Like the Stones without the talent or songs I guess.

"Could argue they caused music to be in the state it is today to a degree"

Interesting one Bluey...but not far off...

Login to get fewer ads

Sex Pistols 1977 on 23:15 - Aug 3 with 940 viewsProfessor

Sex Pistols 1977 on 22:08 - Aug 3 by bluey_the_blue

To some extent. Danny Baker recently commented on Twitter that the first three singles
Are as good as anything- and yes, Anarchy, God Save the Queen and Pretty Vacant are. The rest is, well the rest. Of course, the hype involved replacing
Matlock with Sid and the loss of the ability to
Write a song. Lydon, I have more time for and PiL made some bloody good records
Sex Pistols 1977 on 09:02 - Aug 4 with 828 viewsDr_Winston

Sex Pistols 1977 on 23:15 - Aug 3 by Professor

To some extent. Danny Baker recently commented on Twitter that the first three singles
Are as good as anything- and yes, Anarchy, God Save the Queen and Pretty Vacant are. The rest is, well the rest. Of course, the hype involved replacing
Matlock with Sid and the loss of the ability to
Write a song. Lydon, I have more time for and PiL made some bloody good records

Rise is an all time great tune.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Sex Pistols 1977 on 10:21 - Aug 4 with 784 viewsPegojack

If I may venture a respectful suggestion, have a listen to a great album from that era, Power in the Darkness, the debut album from the Tom Robinson Band, first released in 1978 and re-released in various CD versions with bonus tracks since then. Danny Kustow is a much underrated guitarist, as shown on 'Too Good to be True', but the whole band are terrific musicians.
OK, the knuckle draggers on here won't like the political message, but you can't please everybody!
Sex Pistols 1977 on 14:19 - Aug 4 with 730 viewscontroversial_jack

We could do with another Sex Pistols, as today's music is dire
Sex Pistols 1977 on 15:36 - Aug 4 with 701 viewsNotLoyal

Seeing as the band formed as a result of McLaren who put them together in the kings road at his shop - and punk rock was not even with us until then thats a real utter load of shit.

Ok you don't like the biggest artistic and creative movement in world music ever, but check your head for fücks sake, you've been tapping it too much.

Keep listening to Wakeman and his boring egostical cronies the real reason punk rock kicked everyone in the face.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2019 15:39]

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Sex Pistols 1977 on 08:33 - Aug 5 with 600 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Nice to see your equally as ignorant towards music, religion and politics. You’ve had some proper mares recently .

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Sex Pistols 1977 on 16:05 - Aug 5 with 537 viewscontroversial_jack

Sex Pistols 1977 on 08:33 - Aug 5 by Brynmill_Jack

Nice to see your equally as ignorant towards music, religion and politics. You’ve had some proper mares recently .

Bluey is right, the Punk era was over , it didn't last long, what happened next was a commercial rip off
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024