Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another Brexit thread 08:27 - Aug 5 with 11032 viewswaynekerr55

Genuine questions which I feel deserve a thread of their own

What made you vote leave or remain?
Based on the facts now, would you change your decision?

I voted remain as I wasn't convinced by either sides argument so I stuck with the status quo.

I'd stick to my decision, simply because there is no tangible evidence that leaving sorts us out in the short to medium term.

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Another Brexit thread on 08:41 - Aug 5 with 3385 viewsbennytee

I've always been a Euro-sceptic but I voted remain through fear of a Tory government free to tear up human/workers rights. Under a Labour government I would probably have voted leave.

Would I change my mind? Probably not but i'm really annoyed at how binary the choice is and how divided its made the country
Another Brexit thread on 09:04 - Aug 5 with 3358 viewscostalotta

Being of duel nationality and having worked a quite a few European countries it was and remains an easy choice for me. The freedoms we’d become accustomed to were a very hard thing to consider loosing. For me leaving is undecided, it’s confused, it’s no plan, it’s akin to The Wall as it denies, it’s small and inward, it’s a barrier, it was a really poor idea then and still seems so today so no I wouldn’t change my mind.

Interestingly though, I’ve a fairly big family and some have shifted positions. For example, my dad was full on leave, almost angry leave and is now remain. One of my daughters was remain when at Uni, graduated with a 2:1, couldn’t get a job her degree earned her so she is now leave. Both are ok with a 2nd ref/people’s confirmatory vote.
Another Brexit thread on 09:48 - Aug 5 with 3292 viewsthe_oracle

Most arguments or choices have pros and cons and both sides usually have equal weight. Brexit does not. Post vote the remain evidence is overwhelming, everything pointing to how bad any form of Brexit will be. There has been nothing from the leave side to counter this. Most brexiters ignore this evidence as "project fear", or they really don't care because they voted out for reasons other than the economy. and peoples livelihoods.
Another Brexit thread on 09:52 - Aug 5 with 3287 viewsHighjack

“What power have you got?
Where did you get it from?
In whose interests do you exercise it?
To whom are you accountable?
And how can we get rid of you?”

Probably more relevant now than when it was coined by a famous far right, racist, thick, old, poor white man 40 odd years ago.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Another Brexit thread on 10:19 - Aug 5 with 3255 viewsthe_oracle

Another Brexit thread on 09:52 - Aug 5 by Highjack

“What power have you got?
Where did you get it from?
In whose interests do you exercise it?
To whom are you accountable?
And how can we get rid of you?”

Probably more relevant now than when it was coined by a famous far right, racist, thick, old, poor white man 40 odd years ago.

Tony Benn, far right?
Another Brexit thread on 10:29 - Aug 5 with 3242 viewspikeypaul

Another Brexit thread on 10:19 - Aug 5 by the_oracle

Tony Benn, far right?

Hahaha

I am loving the amusement the loser remoaners have given us all the last 3 years constantly throwing their toys out of the pram in not accepting the result and the will of the British people😭😭😭😭😭😭

Voted remain but would now vote leave since I believe in democracy and the result of the once in a lifetime Referendum.🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧
[Post edited 5 Aug 2019 10:34]

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Another Brexit thread on 11:00 - Aug 5 with 3210 viewscontroversial_jack

Another Brexit thread on 10:29 - Aug 5 by pikeypaul

Hahaha

I am loving the amusement the loser remoaners have given us all the last 3 years constantly throwing their toys out of the pram in not accepting the result and the will of the British people😭😭😭😭😭😭

Voted remain but would now vote leave since I believe in democracy and the result of the once in a lifetime Referendum.🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧

Once in a lifetime vote, that's hardly democratic is it?
Another Brexit thread on 11:48 - Aug 5 with 3183 viewsHighjack

Another Brexit thread on 10:19 - Aug 5 by the_oracle

Tony Benn, far right?

Well we were told by the media that all eurosceptics are thick fascist racist scumbags so he must have been.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Login to get fewer ads

Another Brexit thread on 13:11 - Aug 5 with 3143 viewswaynekerr55

Another Brexit thread on 10:29 - Aug 5 by pikeypaul

Hahaha

Genuine question Pikey, what do you mean by "believe in democracy"?

Another Brexit thread on 02:27 - Aug 6 with 3055 viewsKilkennyjack

Remain then, Remain now.

Brexit is a cult.
Its like people who cant read burning down a fecking library.

Beware of the Risen People

Another Brexit thread on 02:59 - Aug 6 with 3044 viewsKilkennyjack

Feck this ToryBrexit

Beware of the Risen People

Another Brexit thread on 04:08 - Aug 6 with 3035 viewsTummer_from_Texas

As someone with no dog in the fight, but someone who has been forced via thread titles into Planet Swans political discussions recently, sorry but I feel I have earned the right to ask:

Would anyone even be talking about this anymore in 2019, if Remain had won? Or would have the democratic election results been accepted?

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Another Brexit thread on 06:58 - Aug 6 with 2978 viewsWarwickHunt

Another Brexit thread on 04:08 - Aug 6 by Tummer_from_Texas

As someone with no dog in the fight, but someone who has been forced via thread titles into Planet Swans political discussions recently, sorry but I feel I have earned the right to ask:

Would anyone even be talking about this anymore in 2019, if Remain had won? Or would have the democratic election results been accepted?

If Remain had won there wouldn’t be the clusterfûck that is Brexit.

Pay attention, Tums.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2019 7:01]
Another Brexit thread on 07:03 - Aug 6 with 2972 viewsbuilthjack

We have had 3 years of uncertainty, prices going up , people becoming poorer. It will get much much worse folks, believe me.
So definitely remain.
Most farmers in my area voted out. Give them the vote again, and they would stay.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Another Brexit thread on 07:46 - Aug 6 with 2916 viewswaynekerr55

Two key points Tumms:

1 - the referendum was non binding and advisory
2 - the electoral commission found that the Leave campaign group broke the law during the campaign

So not as simple as 'respecting democracy' as people like to paint it

Another Brexit thread on 08:38 - Aug 6 with 2861 viewsbluey_the_blue

Another Brexit thread on 07:46 - Aug 6 by waynekerr55

Two key points Tumms:

2 - the electoral commission found that the Leave campaign group broke the law during the campaign

1 - "We will implement your decision". May only have been an advisory referendum, but that comment was clear evidence of the Remain backing government lying, right?

2 - See above; equally the leaflet put through the doors stated Government's Remain position. There's an extra 9m that didn't count against Remain spending.

Electoral Commission has lost a lot of credibility. See the appeals against it - Leave broke the rules by following the advice the Electoral Commission originally gave, for example. Darren Grimes too.

Lots of crap on both sides tbh.
Another Brexit thread on 08:55 - Aug 6 with 2842 viewsWarwickHunt

Another Brexit thread on 08:38 - Aug 6 by bluey_the_blue

1 - "We will implement your decision". May only have been an advisory referendum, but that comment was clear evidence of the Remain backing government lying, right?

2 - See above; equally the leaflet put through the doors stated Government's Remain position. There's an extra 9m that didn't count against Remain spending.

Electoral Commission has lost a lot of credibility. See the appeals against it - Leave broke the rules by following the advice the Electoral Commission originally gave, for example. Darren Grimes too.

"We will implement your decision". May only have been an advisory referendum, but that comment was clear evidence of the Remain backing government lying, right?

Christ - you do spout some utter bollox...
Another Brexit thread on 09:23 - Aug 6 with 2813 viewschad

Another Brexit thread on 07:46 - Aug 6 by waynekerr55

Two key points Tumms:

Yes it was a real? Carney wasn’t it ;)
Another Brexit thread on 09:29 - Aug 6 with 2805 viewschad

I think we all suspect the answer to that one, despite the shocking and very serious intervention of the Governor of the Bank of England for which they later had to apologise for its incorrectness.

And of course your own then president trying to influence the vote in favour of remain, with threats.
Another Brexit thread on 10:10 - Aug 6 with 2784 viewsJango

Another Brexit thread on 08:38 - Aug 6 by bluey_the_blue

To be fair to remain, at least this time around they’re admitting upfront that they have no intention of implementing a leave vote if it was to win again. They’ll continue to blame leave voters for business uncertainty when we’re still in limbo after another 3 years.
Another Brexit thread on 10:17 - Aug 6 with 2777 viewsBryanSwan

I voted leave the first time round, and would probably do so again. The whole of politics needs a drastic shake up, nobody at the top tables whether in the UK or EU represents and of the real people of the UK.
The status quo of contantly getting poorer and saying thank you convinced me to leave, how much worse can thing get?

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

Another Brexit thread on 11:04 - Aug 6 with 2745 viewsmajorraglan

Another Brexit thread on 10:17 - Aug 6 by BryanSwan

I voted leave the first time round, and would probably do so again. The whole of politics needs a drastic shake up, nobody at the top tables whether in the UK or EU represents and of the real people of the UK.
The status quo of contantly getting poorer and saying thank you convinced me to leave, how much worse can thing get?

I voted Leave first time around on the basis we would come out of Europe with a good trading relationship and on good terms, I don’t recall any mention ever being made of a “No deal.”

If I had another vote tomorrow I would vote Remain. I honestly believe that the concept of a decent Brexit has been hijacked by the extreme right a lot of whom are very wealthy (establishment?) and have little in common with the man on the street.

If we go to a hard Brexit and befall hard times then a lot of people will be very angry and there will be a backlash.

It’s clear immigration was a huge issue in the Brexit vote and that’s reflected here. I suspect all that will happen is EU migration will be replaced by non Eu migration from India, Pakistan and other developing countries.

There’s a lot of talk about a lack of a skilled workforce etc, but there’s over a million people unemployed (some of who are likely to be unemployable for various reasons) loads in zero hours contracts who would relish a full time job so it would be nice to see training and workforce development incentivised, work incentivised and more social mobility. That would be a good start to addressing some of our issues.
Another Brexit thread on 11:08 - Aug 6 with 2740 viewscontroversial_jack

Another Brexit thread on 11:04 - Aug 6 by majorraglan

I voted Leave first time around on the basis we would come out of Europe with a good trading relationship and on good terms, I don’t recall any mention ever being made of a “No deal.”

If I had another vote tomorrow I would vote Remain. I honestly believe that the concept of a decent Brexit has been hijacked by the extreme right a lot of whom are very wealthy (establishment?) and have little in common with the man on the street.

If we go to a hard Brexit and befall hard times then a lot of people will be very angry and there will be a backlash.

It’s clear immigration was a huge issue in the Brexit vote and that’s reflected here. I suspect all that will happen is EU migration will be replaced by non Eu migration from India, Pakistan and other developing countries.

There’s a lot of talk about a lack of a skilled workforce etc, but there’s over a million people unemployed (some of who are likely to be unemployable for various reasons) loads in zero hours contracts who would relish a full time job so it would be nice to see training and workforce development incentivised, work incentivised and more social mobility. That would be a good start to addressing some of our issues.

Immigration was the only issue IMO
Another Brexit thread on 11:17 - Aug 6 with 2735 viewsBryanSwan

Another Brexit thread on 11:04 - Aug 6 by majorraglan

I agree with a lot of what you've said, but i feel like now we are damned if we do go ahead and leave or damned if we don't.
At the time i genuinely didn't think leave would stand a chance of winning. But it just shows how the working classes have been neglected by government for so long.

I cannot see any deal being struck, as the EU will be determined that no other country will leave without being punished.
But i suppose we will all have to wait and see.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

Another Brexit thread on 11:46 - Aug 6 with 2713 viewslondonlisa2001

It’s not really a comparison of like with like.

‘Leave’ is a change of the status quo, so by definition it’s a massive upheaval that simply wouldn’t take place the other way round. And it’s become increasingly obvious that ‘leave’ is also too vague a notion, as it doesn’t mean the same thing to everyone that voted for it. We have not left because leavers can’t decide which way to do it. Remainers have exploited the uncertainty but certainly didn’t cause it. If the leavers in parliament had voted for the deal we had to leave, we would have left.

But the premise behind your post that it’s only the leave vote that has led to this argument is also ignoring the reality that many right wing politicians and media sources (and a few on the hard left) have talked about the EU in disparaging terms and urged us to leave it for almost 50 years. If remain had won, they wouldn’t have stopped.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024