Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Phuket/Pattaya 11:09 - Aug 5 with 1882 viewssainthelens

Just booked 2 weeks there with couple of mates, early January. Any tips from those who have frequented gratefully accepted.
Phuket/Pattaya on 11:10 - Aug 5 with 1598 viewsWarwickHunt

Avoid the "ladies" with Adam's apples and big hands.
Phuket/Pattaya on 11:18 - Aug 5 with 1589 viewsoldcob

Phuket/Pattaya on 11:10 - Aug 5 by WarwickHunt

"Chicks with Dicks" you mean? Or "Cocks in Frocks". Enjoyed Phuket, never been to Pattaya, Bangkok is a cess pit.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2019 11:20]
Phuket/Pattaya on 12:35 - Aug 5 with 1503 viewsdameedna

If you can ride a moped get one cost is about ten quid a day.

If first time fine, it has changed a lot and quite modern snd industrial now.

Phuket is different to Pattaya. Go easy in Pattaya fill your boots in Phuket.

Nothing worth seeing in Bangkok. Airport only.

I went to the temple and Kosahn road again a few weeks back, not great.

Lady boys are generally helpful and well educated.

Avoid elephant rides.
Phuket/Pattaya on 13:23 - Aug 5 with 1456 viewsfbreath

I have been to Thailand quite a few times. The following is my advice.

Be very careful hiring moped etc. roads are very dangerous and your travel insurance won't cover you for any accident/hospital treatment. There is no NHS and all hospitals are private. Same with jet skis etc. don't take any risks check first.

How are you getting to Phuket/Pattaya from Bangkok airport. If you are going to Pattaya first you can book a taxi on line quite cheaply to go to Pattaya (though you don't get much baht to the pound at the moment).

If you are flying into Phuket again try and book taxi prior on line (search for who to use in google you will soon find who to use).

Don't be overly flash with wearing jewelry, expensive watches etc. remember its a third world country as beautiful as it looks.

There have been bombings in Bangkok in the past week so keep an eye on the news of whats going on closer to your trip. The country is under military rule.

We are the first Welsh club to reach the Premier League Simples

Phuket/Pattaya on 14:44 - Aug 5 with 1398 viewsAnotherJohn

Phuket/Pattaya on 13:23 - Aug 5 by fbreath

Be very careful hiring moped etc. roads are very dangerous and your travel insurance won't cover you for any accident/hospital treatment. There is no NHS and all hospitals are private. Same with jet skis etc. don't take any risks check first.

How are you getting to Phuket/Pattaya from Bangkok airport. If you are going to Pattaya first you can book a taxi on line quite cheaply to go to Pattaya (though you don't get much baht to the pound at the moment).

If you are flying into Phuket again try and book taxi prior on line (search for who to use in google you will soon find who to use).

Don't be overly flash with wearing jewelry, expensive watches etc. remember its a third world country as beautiful as it looks.

There have been bombings in Bangkok in the past week so keep an eye on the news of whats going on closer to your trip. The country is under military rule.

I'm in Thailand at the moment, although in a rural area away from the beach resorts. I did pass through Pattaya recently, but I avoid Phuket because it is so expensive (taxis are an example). Fbreath's advice is good, especially regarding motor bikes. There are public hospitals, but as a foreigner you will be charged, albeit at a rate lower than in a private hospital.

Regarding Pattaya, prices have risen as everywhere and you won't get much more than 37 baht to the pound. Best place to change is Superrich or one of the row of booths in the basement of the airport at the entrance to the Airport link railway. Do not change in the UK or upstairs in the airport bank booths which give a much poorer rate. At Superrich you will get a marginally better rate than in Pattaya at booths such as TTT.

For a transfer to Pattaya you can book online through a service such as Mr T taxis or Boss Taxis.

It is a good idea to get a Thai sim for your mobile , but don't buy this at the airport, as the company booths there promote the expensive tourist sim. Any Family Mart (shop) will sell a 4G sim for around 50 baht and you can top up 100 or 200 baht from the same source. I suggest True Move H (rather than AIS or Dtac). Look at their data deals online for good value (to follow the Swans). 5GB of data (with promotional uplift to 10 GB) at 106 baht is a good deal. Find the USSD code to dial to activate this online.

What you do in Pattaya depends very much on your budget. The most economical area (frequented by many expats) is Soi Buakhao, inland of Pattaya 2nd Road and Beach Road. There you will find many cheap guest houses and bars. Many of the guest houses have good deals on Western food with specials posted on blackboards outside. Sky TV is often available in bars through IPTV. Breakfast at iRovers in LK is a good deal (about 120 baht).

I am past the temptations of the flesh (as no doubt all your informants will tell you), but if you want to look around the agogos then LK Metro (near Buakhao and Soi Diana) is cheaper than Walking Street. If you do go to the latter try the places in the sois to the left, like Soi 15 or Soi Diamond, which again are more reasonable. The Russian bars in WS may be a bit iffy. I hear that the reprobates like to visit Soi Honey (off Buakhao) and Soi 6 off Beach Road.

There are a lot of LBs about now, although as DameEdna says they aren't that big a problem if you decline their attention politely. An interesting Thai phenomenon that you may notice if you frequent Thai restaurants is Tom and Dee (the short haired butch partner and the long haired feminine one). Pattaya caters for all tastes and has a number of Tom bars (not the same as the boy bars).

If you want to go on some excursions here are some ideas.

Silver Lake winery, near large Buddha image on hillside and across the road from the excellent Mum Aroi restaurant.

Ferry to Koh Lan island from Bali Hai Pier (cheap).

Ferry return day trip to Hua Hin from nearby location (but expensive).

Day at Jomtien Beach Fishing Park.

Sanctuary of Truth (large wooden temple) in nearby Naklua (a couple of km north on coast).

You can travel to many places in Pattaya on a baht bus (or Songtaew) for 10 baht. if you want to go further afield you can do a deal with the driver for a couple of hundred baht. These tend to be cheaper than taxis, which don't use meters in Pattaya. There is also the option of a motor cycle taxi, but not for the faint hearted.

Chok dee krap (good luck), as they say.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2019 14:50]
Phuket/Pattaya on 15:08 - Aug 5 with 1376 viewspikeypaul

It’s changed massively in the last 10 years not a cheap destination anymore especially Phuket were its £70 minimum for a round of golf when you’ve added on all the extras like the compulsory caddie and caddie tip.

Vietnam is quickly catching Thailand up on tourism for various reasons including the strongest currency in the world over the last 12 months being the baht.

Also a lot of expats relocating due to ever changing visa rules and the Thais attitude to foreigners, 20 years ago it was known as LOS (land of smiles) it is now known by expats as land of snarls.

Been many times but doubt I’ll return.

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Phuket/Pattaya on 15:19 - Aug 5 with 1364 viewsNotLoyal

Phuket/Pattaya on 11:10 - Aug 5 by WarwickHunt

Chopras is the local term ...
Genuinely.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Phuket/Pattaya on 19:03 - Aug 5 with 1253 viewshobo

Skip Pattaya. Replace it with any other town/city. Thailand has so much more to offer
Login to get fewer ads

Phuket/Pattaya on 19:09 - Aug 5 with 1242 viewssainthelens

Phuket/Pattaya on 19:03 - Aug 5 by hobo

Skip Pattaya. Replace it with any other town/city. Thailand has so much more to offer

We've got just 3 days in pattaya then driving to phuket. Thanks for the info lads, much appreciated.
Phuket/Pattaya on 19:09 - Aug 5 with 1241 viewspencoedjack

Phuket/Pattaya on 19:03 - Aug 5 by hobo

How the fuk did you get that past Mrs SH?
Phuket/Pattaya on 19:30 - Aug 5 with 1228 viewssainthelens

Phuket/Pattaya on 19:09 - Aug 5 by pencoedjack

She had a week with the ladies in Benidorm, so let's say brownie points were earned. Compromise buddy.
Phuket/Pattaya on 19:42 - Aug 5 with 1210 viewsFlashberryjack

Phuket/Pattaya on 19:09 - Aug 5 by pencoedjack

Thought exactly the same thing

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Phuket/Pattaya on 19:58 - Aug 5 with 1197 viewspencoedjack

Phuket/Pattaya on 19:30 - Aug 5 by sainthelens

She had a week with the ladies in Benidorm, so let's say brownie points were earned. Compromise buddy.

A week in Benidorm for 2 weeks in Thailand that’s a decent exchange of brownie points

Doffs cap 👍
Phuket/Pattaya on 20:07 - Aug 5 with 1186 viewssainthelens

Phuket/Pattaya on 19:58 - Aug 5 by pencoedjack

A week in Benidorm for 2 weeks in Thailand that’s a decent exchange of brownie points

Doffs cap 👍

I'm not under her feet for 2 weeks, that probably swung it.
Phuket/Pattaya on 20:28 - Aug 5 with 1166 viewsLeonWasGod

Phuket/Pattaya on 13:23 - Aug 5 by fbreath

I went a few times with work and kind of winged it, but that’s good advice.

Just one point; don’t assume a taxi is in anyway safer than any other form of transport. The guys that do the airport to downtown runs are f*cking psychopaths!

Good luck to the OP. It’s a great country if you’re sympathetic to it and don’t be a foreign tourist idiot.
Phuket/Pattaya on 21:12 - Aug 5 with 1133 viewspikeypaul

Heading out of Pattaya after 3 days?

Good luck with that,at least one of you will have a reason to stay by then.

Disneyland for men is a term often used for Pattaya.Walking Street is OK but you are far better off up around soi LK metro and Buakhao.

Unless you are there over Christmas and the new year get your accommodation there D apartments or D hotel are in an ideal location and are reasonably priced with a nice pool, if the beach is more your scene than around the pool get around to Jomtien since Pattaya beach is not very nice despite its recent refurbishment.

If you want to experience a go go bar give Windmill a go it’s on one of the alleyways off walking street, it’s an eye opener and of course soi six is a must around 6 o’clock in the evening.

Great place to watch sport is Weatherspoons on Buakhao I’ve been in there on a Saturday with about 6 premier games shown simultaneously along with At the races and a couple of rugby games they must have about 20 TVs all showing something different.

I seriously doubt you all will want to leave after 3 days.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2019 21:30]

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Phuket/Pattaya on 21:34 - Aug 5 with 1090 viewsFlashberryjack

Phuket/Pattaya on 21:12 - Aug 5 by pikeypaul

Heading out of Pattaya after 3 days?

Good luck with that,at least one of you will have a reason to stay by then.

Disneyland for men is a term often used for Pattaya.Walking Street is OK but you are far better off up around soi LK metro and Buakhao.

Unless you are there over Christmas and the new year get your accommodation there D apartments or D hotel are in an ideal location and are reasonably priced with a nice pool, if the beach is more your scene than around the pool get around to Jomtien since Pattaya beach is not very nice despite its recent refurbishment.

If you want to experience a go go bar give Windmill a go it’s on one of the alleyways off walking street, it’s an eye opener and of course soi six is a must around 6 o’clock in the evening.

Great place to watch sport is Weatherspoons on Buakhao I’ve been in there on a Saturday with about 6 premier games shown simultaneously along with At the races and a couple of rugby games they must have about 20 TVs all showing something different.

I seriously doubt you all will want to leave after 3 days.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2019 21:30]

Sounds lovely... all I need now is some tips off saintelens how to convince the missus.

Hello

Phuket/Pattaya on 21:36 - Aug 5 with 1085 viewspencoedjack

Phuket/Pattaya on 21:34 - Aug 5 by Flashberryjack

Sounds lovely... all I need now is some tips off saintelens how to convince the missus.

Yeah me too
Phuket/Pattaya on 21:38 - Aug 5 with 1078 viewsFlashberryjack

Phuket/Pattaya on 21:36 - Aug 5 by pencoedjack

Yeah me too

Good luck with that one... especially if the missus is anything like mine.

Hello

Phuket/Pattaya on 21:44 - Aug 5 with 1068 viewssainthelens

Phuket/Pattaya on 21:38 - Aug 5 by Flashberryjack

Good luck with that one... especially if the missus is anything like mine.

She won't grumble, especially when I bring back a Thai maid to help with the housework.
Phuket/Pattaya on 23:46 - Aug 5 with 1035 viewsAnotherJohn

Phuket/Pattaya on 21:34 - Aug 5 by Flashberryjack

Windmill = Soi Diamond.

P.S. Meant to link to PP's post.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2019 23:48]
Phuket/Pattaya on 06:31 - Aug 6 with 954 viewsN_T_J

People saying to avoid Bangkok, in that case I'd say avoid Phuket, its a dive. Honestly. I spent 6 months going around Thailand with my Mrs, and we were gutted we went to Phuket, couldn't wait to leave there.
Phuket/Pattaya on 10:24 - Aug 6 with 853 views1983

Phuket/Pattaya on 06:31 - Aug 6 by N_T_J

People saying to avoid Bangkok, in that case I'd say avoid Phuket, its a dive. Honestly. I spent 6 months going around Thailand with my Mrs, and we were gutted we went to Phuket, couldn't wait to leave there.

Well said leave those places to the old fat German pervs. Get your nonsense fix in Bangkok for a couple of nights in the Nan area it will soon wear off and then go and see the real country. Go to Kanchanaburi (Bridge over the river Kwai) and see the British war cemeteries and see the mass graves of British soldiers as young as 18,19 yrs. old who were tortured and treated like dogsh1t.Take an over night train with bed bunk from Bangkok to Chiang Mai (cheap as chips).Go to Islands Ko Lanta and Ko Mak there is loads to see and cheap as chips

Don't stay in Phuket/Pattaya they are about as Thai as Benidorm is Spanish

Phuket/Pattaya on 10:31 - Aug 6 with 845 viewssainthelens

Phuket/Pattaya on 10:24 - Aug 6 by 1983

Well said leave those places to the old fat German pervs. Get your nonsense fix in Bangkok for a couple of nights in the Nan area it will soon wear off and then go and see the real country. Go to Kanchanaburi (Bridge over the river Kwai) and see the British war cemeteries and see the mass graves of British soldiers as young as 18,19 yrs. old who were tortured and treated like dogsh1t.Take an over night train with bed bunk from Bangkok to Chiang Mai (cheap as chips).Go to Islands Ko Lanta and Ko Mak there is loads to see and cheap as chips

Don't stay in Phuket/Pattaya they are about as Thai as Benidorm is Spanish

Great post, appreciated, but it's bit of a lads trip...last hurrah for us if you like. Will def be taking in the sites tho, pointless going all that way and not see as much as possible. Am looking at the Phi phi islands...look fantastic.
Phuket/Pattaya on 10:32 - Aug 6 with 842 viewsdameedna

Yes we know. We stayed in Chantaburri and Ko Chang, all a decent ride south east of Bangkok. However these chaps have booked and good luck to them I hope they have a good time. It is easy to go off the tourist track but when you do it can be a little more stressful for a holiday in a new country.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024