Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Countdown to the end of "democracy" in Hong Kong 12:07 - Aug 13 with 4688 viewswestwalesed

Reports this morning of the Chinese Army moving into Hong Kong - this could get very, very bad indeed.

My personal view is that if it does kick off, the UK should be offering immediate asylum to anyone with a Hong Kong passport who wants it.

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

Countdown to the end of on 13:21 - Aug 13 with 3854 viewsPegojack

Yes Ed, I'm sure Marc Francois and the rest of the crypto fascists in the Tory Party will go for that idea.

Anyway, perhaps Boris will send a gunboat
Oh wait...we haven't got any, and Boris and crew have got their tongues up the Chinese government's arse in pursuit of a fairy tale trade deal.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2019 13:24]
Countdown to the end of "democracy" in Hong Kong on 13:31 - Aug 13 with 3828 viewslonglostjack

Even if they haven't got millions of pounds earned through dubious criminal activities? That would be most un-Tory like.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Countdown to the end of "democracy" in Hong Kong on 13:56 - Aug 13 with 3792 viewscontroversial_jack

Countdown to the end of "democracy" in Hong Kong on 13:31 - Aug 13 by longlostjack

Even if they haven't got millions of pounds earned through dubious criminal activities? That would be most un-Tory like.

Never mind Hong Kong, it could be happening here if Bellend Boris get's his way and suspends Parliament
Countdown to the end of "democracy" in Hong Kong on 14:21 - Aug 13 with 3769 viewswestwalesed

So disappointing that the potential use of the Chinese Army against unarmed pro-democracy protestors has been ignored on here.

Instead the one thread I try to start to discuss it is taken as an opportunity, again, to bash the Tories.

Worrying.

Countdown to the end of on 14:39 - Aug 13 with 3754 viewswobbly

It’s difficult to know how this gets walked back from here. The two sides are entrenched and the tactics employed by the protestors are such that I don’t think the Hong Kong police can get this under control. Either the protestors decide to stop, which seems unlikely, or the Chinese send in reinforcement.

The news of what’s happening in HK is still very tightly controlled in China. But if there is a whif of contagion from HK I fear those troops currently congregating on the border will cross over to support the already big army contingent that is always deployed in HK (there are some big barracks in Central)
[Post edited 13 Aug 2019 14:40]
Countdown to the end of "democracy" in Hong Kong on 14:41 - Aug 13 with 3747 viewsjacks777

None of our business. Let them sort it out themselves.
Countdown to the end of on 14:52 - Aug 13 with 3725 viewswestwalesed

Countdown to the end of on 14:39 - Aug 13 by wobbly

It’s difficult to know how this gets walked back from here. The two sides are entrenched and the tactics employed by the protestors are such that I don’t think the Hong Kong police can get this under control. Either the protestors decide to stop, which seems unlikely, or the Chinese send in reinforcement.

The news of what’s happening in HK is still very tightly controlled in China. But if there is a whif of contagion from HK I fear those troops currently congregating on the border will cross over to support the already big army contingent that is always deployed in HK (there are some big barracks in Central)
[Post edited 13 Aug 2019 14:40]

I fear that the mantra "enough is enough" may be on the lips of the CCP.

Hong Kong must be a massive cash cow for the Chinese economy as a whole.

This is our problem, until not that long ago it was part of the Empire.

it's no coincidence that many of the protestors are flying the Union Jack.

Countdown to the end of on 15:05 - Aug 13 with 3706 viewslonglostjack

Countdown to the end of on 14:52 - Aug 13 by westwalesed

This article is more interesting than the usual pro-Boris drivel in Murdoch's Daily Torygraph.

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2019/07/13/explainer-conflicting-messages-behind-prot

Login to get fewer ads

Countdown to the end of on 15:50 - Aug 13 with 3660 viewsHighjack

Countdown to the end of on 15:05 - Aug 13 by longlostjack

This article is more interesting than the usual pro-Boris drivel in Murdoch's Daily Torygraph.

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2019/07/13/explainer-conflicting-messages-behind-prot

As always the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Countdown to the end of "democracy" in Hong Kong on 16:53 - Aug 13 with 3607 viewsPegojack

Countdown to the end of "democracy" in Hong Kong on 14:21 - Aug 13 by westwalesed

So disappointing that the potential use of the Chinese Army against unarmed pro-democracy protestors has been ignored on here.

Instead the one thread I try to start to discuss it is taken as an opportunity, again, to bash the Tories.

Worrying.

OK Ed, let's discuss it.

Hong Kong was a colony of GB until we handed it back to China under treaty 20 years ago.

Since then, the Chinese authorities have allowed the people there to hang on to a few figleaf rights and privileges, probably out of economic expediency. But any thoughts the populace had that they were somehow different from the rest of China was an illusion. And, incidentally, the British government has done everything possible in the meantime to stop Hong Kong citizens from exercising any right to move to Britain to escape.

Yes, it's tragic that the Chinese authorities are now about to crack down hard on people who want democracy and aren't going to be allowed to have it, because where would that lead? It's tragic that exactly the same thing is happening in Russia, as democrats try to stand up to their fascist ruler (a big mate of Trump's).

And it's absolutely tragic that we can do feck all about any of it.
Countdown to the end of "democracy" in Hong Kong on 16:56 - Aug 13 with 3603 viewsDarran

There’s going to be a lot of people disappearing off the face of the earth never to be seen again in Hong Kong.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Countdown to the end of "democracy" in Hong Kong on 16:57 - Aug 13 with 3592 viewsFlashberryjack

Countdown to the end of "democracy" in Hong Kong on 16:56 - Aug 13 by Darran

There’s going to be a lot of people disappearing off the face of the earth never to be seen again in Hong Kong.

Boris and Brexits fault mun.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Countdown to the end of on 16:59 - Aug 13 with 3585 viewsEbo

We are not an empire. Repeat after me "We are not an empire"

Thank you

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Countdown to the end of on 17:15 - Aug 13 with 3558 viewswaynekerr55

Countdown to the end of on 16:59 - Aug 13 by Ebo

We are not an empire. Repeat after me "We are not an empire"

Thank you

You need to believe more, Ebs!

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Countdown to the end of on 17:27 - Aug 13 with 3546 viewsHighjack

Countdown to the end of on 17:15 - Aug 13 by waynekerr55

You need to believe more, Ebs!

The galactic republic was weak. Even jar jar f*cking binks could be a senator.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Countdown to the end of on 18:47 - Aug 13 with 3484 viewsjacks777

Are you mental 😂
Countdown to the end of "democracy" in Hong Kong on 18:48 - Aug 13 with 3484 viewsUxbridge

The brother in law is in HK at the moment. Not the best timing. Fingers crossed the airports reopen shortly.

Good luck to the locals on this. Showing some industrial levels of balls to stand up to the Chinese Govt.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Countdown to the end of "democracy" in Hong Kong on 19:21 - Aug 13 with 3455 viewsicecoldjack

Countdown to the end of "democracy" in Hong Kong on 16:56 - Aug 13 by Darran

Correct.

IMO The flames of this are being fanned by the Americans , painting the Chinese into a corner with a win win for the USA . The eyes of the world are watching closely but Those poor people there are going to pay a steep price no matter what the outcome, China will be exposed with either the crushing of Hong Kong or if not the beginning of unrest back home, with US sanctions taking an eventual toll.
Countdown to the end of "democracy" in Hong Kong on 19:30 - Aug 13 with 3440 viewsexiledclaseboy

Countdown to the end of "democracy" in Hong Kong on 18:48 - Aug 13 by Uxbridge

The brother in law is in HK at the moment. Not the best timing. Fingers crossed the airports reopen shortly.

Good luck to the locals on this. Showing some industrial levels of balls to stand up to the Chinese Govt.

Kudos to them for their balls but it absolutely won’t end well for them if this carries on.

Poll: Tory leader

Countdown to the end of "democracy" in Hong Kong on 19:42 - Aug 13 with 3431 viewsjacks777

Send in Chris Patten. He’ll sort the Chinese out.
Countdown to the end of "democracy" in Hong Kong on 20:54 - Aug 13 with 3391 viewsLohengrin

Countdown to the end of "democracy" in Hong Kong on 19:30 - Aug 13 by exiledclaseboy

Kudos to them for their balls but it absolutely won’t end well for them if this carries on.

Oh! I don’t know, Clase. Communists always play well with others, the ghastly, fckin’ things are renowned for it, mun. Trade partners, don’t you know?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Countdown to the end of "democracy" in Hong Kong on 21:31 - Aug 13 with 3357 viewslonglostjack

Countdown to the end of "democracy" in Hong Kong on 20:54 - Aug 13 by Lohengrin

Oh! I don’t know, Clase. Communists always play well with others, the ghastly, fckin’ things are renowned for it, mun. Trade partners, don’t you know?

The Triads have probably been paid a fortune to act as agent provocateurs.

Countdown to the end of "democracy" in Hong Kong on 21:35 - Aug 13 with 3349 viewsLohengrin

Countdown to the end of "democracy" in Hong Kong on 21:31 - Aug 13 by longlostjack

The Triads have probably been paid a fortune to act as agent provocateurs.

I don’t doubt it. Poison by proxy.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Countdown to the end of on 09:27 - Aug 14 with 3212 viewswestwalesed

Countdown to the end of on 18:47 - Aug 13 by jacks777

Are you mental 😂

No.

Which part of that suggests I am mental?

Countdown to the end of "democracy" in Hong Kong on 13:04 - Aug 14 with 3162 viewsFlashberryjack

Countdown to the end of "democracy" in Hong Kong on 19:21 - Aug 13 by icecoldjack

Correct.

IMO The flames of this are being fanned by the Americans , painting the Chinese into a corner with a win win for the USA . The eyes of the world are watching closely but Those poor people there are going to pay a steep price no matter what the outcome, China will be exposed with either the crushing of Hong Kong or if not the beginning of unrest back home, with US sanctions taking an eventual toll.

Boris, Brexit and now it's Americas fault...jesus wept.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024