Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New twist in the Sala plane crash 14:32 - Aug 14 with 54111 viewsThrasher6

Emiliano Sala 'exposed to carbon monoxide in plane crash'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49345186

Footballer Emiliano Sala, who died in a plane crash over the English Channel, had been exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide, a report has revealed.

Sala and pilot David Ibbotson crashed on 21 January when travelling to Cardiff from the French city of Nantes.

Toxicology tests on Sala's body showed CO levels in his blood were so great it could have caused a seizure, unconsciousness or a heart attack.

Mr Ibbotson, from Crowle, North Lincolnshire, has still not been found.

But it is likely he would also have been exposed to carbon monoxide, the Air Accidents Investigations Branch (AAIB) report said.

Geraint Herbert, head of air accidents for the AAIB, said it is believed both men were exposed to the gas before the plane crashed.

"Symptoms at low exposure levels [to carbon monoxide] can be drowsiness and dizziness, but as the exposure level increases it can lead to unconsciousness and death," he added.

"The investigation continues to look into a wide range of areas in relation to this accident, but in particular we are looking at the potential ways in which carbon monoxide can enter the cabin in this type of aircraft."
[Post edited 14 Aug 2019 14:33]

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

New twist in the Sala plane crash on 20:03 - Aug 15 with 2267 viewsbluey_the_blue

New twist in the Sala plane crash on 19:55 - Aug 15 by plasjack

Cardiff owe Nantes the transfer fee, nothing to do with the plane crash, that's why so little was spent in the transfer window, and will be the same in the January window.

Hmmm, nice theory but we spent 14m recouping 11m for what I know which may be wrong.
New twist in the Sala plane crash on 20:08 - Aug 15 with 2260 viewsplasjack

New twist in the Sala plane crash on 20:03 - Aug 15 by bluey_the_blue

Hmmm, nice theory but we spent 14m recouping 11m for what I know which may be wrong.

Which is peanuts for a club with parachute payments, hoping to go back up to the P/L, the reality is the 15M you owe has got to be paid, and if the rumours are true your player was not insured at the time of his unfortunate last journey.
New twist in the Sala plane crash on 20:24 - Aug 15 with 2239 viewsbluey_the_blue

New twist in the Sala plane crash on 20:08 - Aug 15 by plasjack

Which is peanuts for a club with parachute payments, hoping to go back up to the P/L, the reality is the 15M you owe has got to be paid, and if the rumours are true your player was not insured at the time of his unfortunate last journey.

How much did we spend going up? Not a great deal, probably around the same.

Tbh, Warnock's record with smaller fees is better than larger fees.

The reality is that the completed status of the transfer is in dispute, awaiting resolution. Not insured? That's a claim that started on Anus' website, with a claim it was "overhead" in someone's house. It's amazing how you guys give that site credibility when it suits.
New twist in the Sala plane crash on 20:37 - Aug 15 with 2224 viewsplasjack

New twist in the Sala plane crash on 20:24 - Aug 15 by bluey_the_blue

How much did we spend going up? Not a great deal, probably around the same.

Tbh, Warnock's record with smaller fees is better than larger fees.

The reality is that the completed status of the transfer is in dispute, awaiting resolution. Not insured? That's a claim that started on Anus' website, with a claim it was "overhead" in someone's house. It's amazing how you guys give that site credibility when it suits.

Well you must have "Overhead " it as well, so you actually spend time away from a "Foreign " forum.
New twist in the Sala plane crash on 20:45 - Aug 15 with 2209 viewsbluey_the_blue

New twist in the Sala plane crash on 20:37 - Aug 15 by plasjack

Well you must have "Overhead " it as well, so you actually spend time away from a "Foreign " forum.

Hmm, no, I didn't "overhear" it,

The farcical claim made was that we had no insurance as someone overheard a phone call in someone's house...

Maybe there was insurance, maybe there wasn't but I'd rather find out from someone with more credibility.
New twist in the Sala plane crash on 20:49 - Aug 15 with 2205 viewsplasjack

New twist in the Sala plane crash on 20:45 - Aug 15 by bluey_the_blue

Hmm, no, I didn't "overhear" it,

The farcical claim made was that we had no insurance as someone overheard a phone call in someone's house...

Maybe there was insurance, maybe there wasn't but I'd rather find out from someone with more credibility.

Guessing as per usual, you are an expert on fake news keep it up, you'll get it right one day.
New twist in the Sala plane crash on 20:54 - Aug 15 with 2197 viewsbluey_the_blue

New twist in the Sala plane crash on 20:49 - Aug 15 by plasjack

Guessing as per usual, you are an expert on fake news keep it up, you'll get it right one day.

How so?

I've pointed out I'd like to hear info from something that isn't a fake news site. Christ, Hammam just had to buy Anus an ice cream and he'd spread whatever news was wanted...
New twist in the Sala plane crash on 21:15 - Aug 15 with 2180 viewsSkyjack60

Can I say, as someone with a little knowledge on such matters, that the fact that CO leaked in to the cabin does not mean the pilot didn't complete a standard pre-flight check.

A hairline crack in the manifold could be enough to cause serious problems, but could easily go undetected.

Doesn't make the aircraft dodgy, either, as I know it can happen on an aircraft maintained to current CAA requirements.
Login to get fewer ads

New twist in the Sala plane crash on 21:20 - Aug 15 with 2166 viewsPorthcawlswan

I'm not really buying the Co2 thing. Sala's last WhatsApp messages indicated that there was way more going on
New twist in the Sala plane crash on 21:35 - Aug 15 with 2133 viewsSkyjack60

New twist in the Sala plane crash on 21:20 - Aug 15 by Porthcawlswan

I'm not really buying the Co2 thing. Sala's last WhatsApp messages indicated that there was way more going on

I believe that during one of the calls he made, he said he was feeling tired.

Classic symptom, and with most of tbe other known "facts" points towards carbon monoxide (not Co2) poisoning.

What doesn't quite sit right is tbe pilots body becoming separated from the aircraft.
New twist in the Sala plane crash on 21:47 - Aug 15 with 2112 viewsGaryjack

New twist in the Sala plane crash on 21:35 - Aug 15 by Skyjack60

I believe that during one of the calls he made, he said he was feeling tired.

Classic symptom, and with most of tbe other known "facts" points towards carbon monoxide (not Co2) poisoning.

What doesn't quite sit right is tbe pilots body becoming separated from the aircraft.

Indeed, it's already been established that Sala was dead before he went under the water. But where is Ibbotson? Would the windscreen have smashed on impact? But surely he would be strapped into his seat?
[Post edited 15 Aug 2019 21:49]
New twist in the Sala plane crash on 22:05 - Aug 15 with 2083 viewsSkyjack60

It's not mandatory to wear a seatbelt at all times.

Sala was obviously nervous of being in a light aircraft, as evidenced by his comments, so would likely have felt safer with his belt on.

A seasoned pilot however, Ibbotson may well have been comfortable without one, or taking it off during the flight.

My "doesn't sit" comment is based in my own policy of never not being buckled up. So on reflection, isn't as implausible as it first sounded, to me anyway.
New twist in the Sala plane crash on 22:14 - Aug 15 with 2076 viewsPorthcawlswan

True, sorry ye I meant carbon monoxide. I got from the messages he was tired as in he'd had a busy few days with negotiations, travel, relocation etc. In the messages he also said the plane felt like it was falling apart and for me that is the crucial bit
New twist in the Sala plane crash on 22:28 - Aug 15 with 2071 viewsSkyjack60

New twist in the Sala plane crash on 22:14 - Aug 15 by Porthcawlswan

True, sorry ye I meant carbon monoxide. I got from the messages he was tired as in he'd had a busy few days with negotiations, travel, relocation etc. In the messages he also said the plane felt like it was falling apart and for me that is the crucial bit

Anyone only used to commercial airliners, or never having been in a light aircraft could use the same descriptions as Sala did.

It's so different to most peoples people's experience of flying, it can look and sometimes feel like the aircraft is "unsafe" in some way.

The thing to bare in mind is that the pilot wanted to have a safe and successful flight, just as much as his passenger did.

With 100s of hours of experience, irrespective of the commercial / not commercial flight debate, he felt the aircraft was capable of making the trip.

At the end if the day, we can only go on what we believe.

Personally, I look for reasons not to fly, and only when there are non I cannot mitigate, do I go.

There is a saying that "take offs are optional, landings are mandatory".
New twist in the Sala plane crash on 22:37 - Aug 15 with 2058 viewsbonymine

I laid a Swansea City scarf at the foot of the Memorial just before Sala’s sister it was incredibly humbling and emotional 👍 👏👏👏😂😂😂

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

New twist in the Sala plane crash on 23:32 - Aug 15 with 2029 viewsPorthcawlswan

I have been on very small planes and I hate them with a passion. However I didn't text people close to me saying I'm afraid the planes falling apart/you won't find me if it goes down etc etc.

He was a bit more frantic than someone experiencing turbulence or bad weather in a light aircraft and that coming from someone who has a major fear of flying.

I was involved in an incident on commercial plane a few weeks ago on the way back from Vietnam, not a major one at all but was absolutely terrifying especially when the cabin crew started lying on the floor 🤣. Although horrible I didn't feel the need to use the WiFi to message loved ones
New twist in the Sala plane crash on 07:32 - Aug 16 with 1960 viewsAlfieMooresSon

New twist in the Sala plane crash on 16:13 - Aug 14 by bluey_the_blue

Sadly, that's not technically true if the evidence provided by the club is correct.

I recommend reading the Athletic article, pretty excellent imo.

I don't get why FIFA are dragging their heels on this tbh.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2019 18:23]

Where is this article?
New twist in the Sala plane crash on 07:40 - Aug 16 with 1955 viewsAlfieMooresSon

New twist in the Sala plane crash on 20:52 - Aug 14 by plasjack

Swans fan pretending to be a Cardiff fan, all forums have them, adds to the revenue, without which this board would be redundant.

bluey the blue is a Swansea fan isn't he?
New twist in the Sala plane crash on 07:46 - Aug 16 with 1952 viewsAlfieMooresSon

New twist in the Sala plane crash on 20:08 - Aug 15 by plasjack

Surely eventually it will be paid by the insurer of the person found negligent, so no doubt in many years time, as this will be a massive court case, in the meantime, Nantes will have to go without the fee they are owed?
New twist in the Sala plane crash on 08:04 - Aug 16 with 1946 viewsbluey_the_blue

New twist in the Sala plane crash on 07:32 - Aug 16 by AlfieMooresSon

Where is this article?

https://theathletic.com/1127774/2019/08/14/emiliano-sala-a-tragedy-that-continue

You need to subscribe, they've a free trial at the moment.
New twist in the Sala plane crash on 08:10 - Aug 16 with 1940 viewsbluey_the_blue

New twist in the Sala plane crash on 07:40 - Aug 16 by AlfieMooresSon

bluey the blue is a Swansea fan isn't he?

You wish.
New twist in the Sala plane crash on 08:13 - Aug 16 with 1936 viewsbluey_the_blue

New twist in the Sala plane crash on 07:46 - Aug 16 by AlfieMooresSon

Surely eventually it will be paid by the insurer of the person found negligent, so no doubt in many years time, as this will be a massive court case, in the meantime, Nantes will have to go without the fee they are owed?

Not sure that's correct. Insurance would be on the asset,the player. So if everything completed correctly, Sala 100% our player, then insurance would cover it.

The issue is if the transfer was 100% completed. Even so, given Nantes engaged a non-licensed agent in Mackay, given the condition of the plane, the pilot issues there's possibly enough there for insurance companies to refuse to pay out.
New twist in the Sala plane crash on 13:25 - Aug 16 with 1872 viewsPhil_S

New twist in the Sala plane crash on 16:05 - Aug 14 by bluey_the_blue

It doesn't though.

1) We know Sala's body contained carbon monoxide. We obviously don't have the pilots body to check. Could be the monoxide was absorbed late on.

2) Sala told a friend via social media he was scared... plane falling apart on the way back to France. Pilot's responsibility to perform pre flight checks.

3) Pilot was not licensed to fly at night, some of his actions being completely consistent with panicing at night especially given bad weather conditions.

4) Pilot wanted to reduce altitude. He was not licensed to fly by instruments alone, which he would have been doing in cloud cover - partly due to being colour blind.

5) Pilot had no commercial flying licence; this was an illegal commerical flight, as McKay inadvertantly confirmed when he revealed he fully paid for it.

6) Pilots make the decision to lift off. Ibbotson knew that in those conditions, there was no way he should be taking off, especially in that weather, specially when it took several attempts to lift off.

This is all well and good but why does that mean you shouldn't pay the fee to Nantes that was agreed between the two sides before the player was paraded as your record signing?
New twist in the Sala plane crash on 16:22 - Aug 16 with 1793 views3swan

New twist in the Sala plane crash on 13:25 - Aug 16 by Phil_S

This is all well and good but why does that mean you shouldn't pay the fee to Nantes that was agreed between the two sides before the player was paraded as your record signing?

None of those should affect the transfer.
Cardiff player or not, I find it very strange that after all this time EUFA or FIFA ? haven't completed their investigations and made a decision.
New twist in the Sala plane crash on 17:47 - Aug 16 with 1747 viewsbluey_the_blue

New twist in the Sala plane crash on 13:25 - Aug 16 by Phil_S

As I keep saying the two issues are completely separate.

Evidence from both sides has been lodged with FIFA with regards to the transfer status. Let them decide based upon that evidence.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024