Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Work until you die? 23:12 - Aug 20 with 7256 viewsmajorraglan

Just seen this article in the Express, the Centre for Social Trusted fronted by Ian Duncan Smith former Tory Party leader are advocating that the retirement age is increased to 75. That would give the average bloke 4.2 years before he died. Can’t think of many people I know who want to work until they are 75, it’s mental.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1167119/state-pension-age-retirement-employmen
Work until you die? on 12:39 - Aug 21 with 1539 viewsbluey_the_blue

Work until you die? on 12:26 - Aug 21 by londonlisa2001

Don’t start lecturing me in tax Bluey. You’ll end up looking silly.

I know what tax avoidance is. I know it’s legal.

We need to start clamping down on avoidance. The companies like Google, Starbucks, Amazon etc do not pay a fair share of tax. And, partly as a result of that, they have an unfair advantage over small alternatives. The EU’s new legislation will partly address that. The very wealthy in this country avoid tax. They pay a far lower rate of marginal tax than anyone else. And it needs to be stopped.

Imagine my surprise though at you being exercised over IR35. It’s about time it was sorted out.

I'm not lecturing you, Lisa, I was speaking generally.

The 1% pay around 25% of total tax - wasn't that the case, last stats showed? You say "not fair", but define "fair".

IR35 is, Lisa, utter crap. It was brought in to prevent the case of permanent employees being reclassified as contractors to get them off payroll. It was also a kneejerk reaction o high profile cases, like the head of the student loans company. HMRC have a spectacularly bad record when cases go to appeal, it's usually been the case they like to scare people into paying.

With regards to loan charges, I disagree with the whole loan charge thing. I'd never use the scheme, never recommend anyone using the scheme and they are rightly illegal now.
Retrospective powers are morally abhorent to me. If a scheme is legal at point X in time, then it's legal. The fact HMRC have the powers to go back many years, and punish for something legal then is totally and utterly indefensible.

If a law was passed to prevent people walking dogs in fields, I can only imagine the outcry if people were prosecuted for doing it 5 years ago...
Work until you die? on 12:44 - Aug 21 with 1534 viewsbluey_the_blue

Work until you die? on 12:32 - Aug 21 by Catullus

We could try stopping universal benefits? Means test child benefit, bus passes, tv licences. Isn't it ridiculous that Premier league footballer can get child benefit when every single week he earns in excess of the average annual wage? Maybe we could try passing a law that says 90% of all profits must be spent on an annual inflation based wage rise and reinvestment in the business, only 10% on share dividends. Who knows?

Brynnie, I have no problem slagging the Tories off but then I have a problem choosing who to vote for. Corbyn? Adam Price? Jo Swinson? Farage? Caroline Lucas? I've started to think Pol Pot or Papa Doc Duvallier would have made better choices because at least they had a plan. Bojo keeps going with blind optimism, Corbyn changes his plan more often than Trump says something stupid!

IDS......irritable dickhead syndrome! most politicans suffer from it. And yes, he is a chunt.

Means testing I'm not averse to.

GP offers me a prescription for hayfever meds, it's nothing I can't get over the counter so I pay for that myself and am happy to do so.

Mandating what companies do with profits? I'm averse to direct state intervention like that. If somebody builds a company up, provides jobs, helps the economy then I've no problem with dividends which are taxable anyway.

The wider issue of Amazon et al... I tend to see that as a quid pro quo. Multinationals employ people, help the economy as a consequence. Starbucks on the other hand... tax them 1000% - hate coffee, hate the boring prats sitting sipping a late pretending they are in an episode of friends...
Work until you die? on 12:51 - Aug 21 with 1524 viewslondonlisa2001

Work until you die? on 12:39 - Aug 21 by bluey_the_blue

I'm not lecturing you, Lisa, I was speaking generally.

The 1% pay around 25% of total tax - wasn't that the case, last stats showed? You say "not fair", but define "fair".

IR35 is, Lisa, utter crap. It was brought in to prevent the case of permanent employees being reclassified as contractors to get them off payroll. It was also a kneejerk reaction o high profile cases, like the head of the student loans company. HMRC have a spectacularly bad record when cases go to appeal, it's usually been the case they like to scare people into paying.

With regards to loan charges, I disagree with the whole loan charge thing. I'd never use the scheme, never recommend anyone using the scheme and they are rightly illegal now.
Retrospective powers are morally abhorent to me. If a scheme is legal at point X in time, then it's legal. The fact HMRC have the powers to go back many years, and punish for something legal then is totally and utterly indefensible.

If a law was passed to prevent people walking dogs in fields, I can only imagine the outcry if people were prosecuted for doing it 5 years ago...

Give any definition of fair that would result in Amazon, Google etc paying the tax they have over the last 10 years.

IR35 is not ‘crap’. It should be tightened up. It is used, as you well know, to avoid national insurance - both employers and employees. If someone works for a company permanently, they should be taxed as such. As should the company. Anyone that is a genuine contractor for several organisations, with rights to replace etc will be treated as they are now.

On the loan charge front, I have sympathy with the people caught due to its retrospective nature. But, and it’s a big but, when the loans were made, it was on a declaration that they were true loans and would be repaid. The fact that it was never clamped down on is not good enough reason for people to claim they were legal when they never had any intention of repaying said loan and were just using it to avoid tax. It was never actually legal to use it for the intention of avoiding tax (which is the issue). It was just never enforced. So your analogy is flawed.
Work until you die? on 12:52 - Aug 21 with 1524 viewsoldtownjack

Work until you die? on 12:32 - Aug 21 by Catullus

We could try stopping universal benefits? Means test child benefit, bus passes, tv licences. Isn't it ridiculous that Premier league footballer can get child benefit when every single week he earns in excess of the average annual wage? Maybe we could try passing a law that says 90% of all profits must be spent on an annual inflation based wage rise and reinvestment in the business, only 10% on share dividends. Who knows?

Brynnie, I have no problem slagging the Tories off but then I have a problem choosing who to vote for. Corbyn? Adam Price? Jo Swinson? Farage? Caroline Lucas? I've started to think Pol Pot or Papa Doc Duvallier would have made better choices because at least they had a plan. Bojo keeps going with blind optimism, Corbyn changes his plan more often than Trump says something stupid!

IDS......irritable dickhead syndrome! most politicans suffer from it. And yes, he is a chunt.

Child benefit is already means tested.

Work until you die? on 12:52 - Aug 21 with 1524 viewsCatullus

Work until you die? on 12:44 - Aug 21 by bluey_the_blue

Means testing I'm not averse to.

GP offers me a prescription for hayfever meds, it's nothing I can't get over the counter so I pay for that myself and am happy to do so.

Mandating what companies do with profits? I'm averse to direct state intervention like that. If somebody builds a company up, provides jobs, helps the economy then I've no problem with dividends which are taxable anyway.

The wider issue of Amazon et al... I tend to see that as a quid pro quo. Multinationals employ people, help the economy as a consequence. Starbucks on the other hand... tax them 1000% - hate coffee, hate the boring prats sitting sipping a late pretending they are in an episode of friends...

So you're against mandating what companies dow with profits?

Maybe I'm a closet commie but it's abhorrent to me that workers pay is kept low so massive dividends can be split up mostly by the very rich.
If an inflation pay rise every year was the norm, that'd be taxable too.

I'm with you on the meds, I only get for free what cannot be bought over the counter. The NHS pays suppliers a lot more for a packet of paracetamol than we pay in Boots etc.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Work until you die? on 12:56 - Aug 21 with 1516 viewslondonlisa2001

Work until you die? on 12:52 - Aug 21 by Catullus

So you're against mandating what companies dow with profits?

Maybe I'm a closet commie but it's abhorrent to me that workers pay is kept low so massive dividends can be split up mostly by the very rich.
If an inflation pay rise every year was the norm, that'd be taxable too.

I'm with you on the meds, I only get for free what cannot be bought over the counter. The NHS pays suppliers a lot more for a packet of paracetamol than we pay in Boots etc.

Free prescriptions in Wales are a ridiculous waste.
Work until you die? on 13:00 - Aug 21 with 1498 viewsNeath_Jack

Work until you die? on 12:56 - Aug 21 by londonlisa2001

It's absolutely pathetic.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Work until you die? on 13:06 - Aug 21 with 1488 viewslondonlisa2001

Work until you die? on 13:00 - Aug 21 by Neath_Jack

It's absolutely pathetic.

It’s bad enough here (in England I mean), when doctors give out prescriptions for over the counter medicine, and those who don’t pay use them for a 15p packet of paracetamol. But at least most here pay which limits that abuse. In Wales that must be replicated across the board.

But equally, doctors who give prescriptions for that sort of stuff need to take a look at themselves. They are not helping the NHS.
Login to get fewer ads

Work until you die? on 13:06 - Aug 21 with 1488 viewsProfessor

Work until you die? on 12:56 - Aug 21 by londonlisa2001

The charge, which is some cases in nominal, is of course means based in England. It does stop misuse. I use a prepayment as I have 2-3 items each month having a mild but chronic condition (asthma). Its a tenner. What I don't want is the US system where my prescription would be a huge cost.

And I agree-Brexit will lead to low taxes but fewer public services. Like the good old US-which is what the billionaires want. That said I know little about finance. I am a biologist.
Work until you die? on 13:10 - Aug 21 with 1485 viewslondonlisa2001

Work until you die? on 13:06 - Aug 21 by Professor

The charge, which is some cases in nominal, is of course means based in England. It does stop misuse. I use a prepayment as I have 2-3 items each month having a mild but chronic condition (asthma). Its a tenner. What I don't want is the US system where my prescription would be a huge cost.

And I agree-Brexit will lead to low taxes but fewer public services. Like the good old US-which is what the billionaires want. That said I know little about finance. I am a biologist.

I’m sure you know more about finance than I do about biology. Apart from my own hypochondria of course...
Work until you die? on 13:30 - Aug 21 with 1449 viewsProfessor

Work until you die? on 13:10 - Aug 21 by londonlisa2001

I’m sure you know more about finance than I do about biology. Apart from my own hypochondria of course...

my employer seems to think so. And employment law, GDPR, equality etc.

That said the 700 quid I am paying in pension contributions, plus being over 45, plus their decent contributions mean I will not be working at 75. Hopefully not much beyond 60.
Work until you die? on 13:54 - Aug 21 with 1426 viewssherpajacob

Work until you die? on 12:02 - Aug 21 by Lohengrin

You could probably dial that down a few notches if they’d spent thirty-odd years working in the Coke Ovens or the Blast.

Indeed 77 is the Neath Port talbot average,. I would wager Neath is,higher than PT and parts of PT are below 75.

So in effect tax payers of Port Talbot are subsidizing the state pension of office workers in Surrey and Hampshire.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Work until you die? on 13:59 - Aug 21 with 1422 viewsbluey_the_blue

Work until you die? on 12:52 - Aug 21 by oldtownjack

Child benefit is already means tested.

Child benefit isn't means tested.
Work until you die? on 14:17 - Aug 21 with 1406 viewssherpajacob

Work until you die? on 13:59 - Aug 21 by bluey_the_blue

https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit-tax-charge

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Work until you die? on 14:17 - Aug 21 with 1406 viewslondonlisa2001

Work until you die? on 13:59 - Aug 21 by bluey_the_blue

It is subject to a tax if you earn above £50k on a sliding scale.

If you earn over £60k you pay it all back as tax, so effectively it is means tested as over £60k you get nothing.
Work until you die? on 14:28 - Aug 21 with 1392 viewsbluey_the_blue

Work until you die? on 14:17 - Aug 21 by londonlisa2001

It is subject to a tax if you earn above £50k on a sliding scale.

If you earn over £60k you pay it all back as tax, so effectively it is means tested as over £60k you get nothing.

It's not means tested as it's universal, everyone gets it.

Absolutely there's a tax charge for high earners but it's still not means tested.
Work until you die? on 14:33 - Aug 21 with 1386 viewslondonlisa2001

Work until you die? on 14:28 - Aug 21 by bluey_the_blue

It's not means tested as it's universal, everyone gets it.

Absolutely there's a tax charge for high earners but it's still not means tested.

It’s effectively means tested as anyone over £60k gets a child benefit of £nil. The way they administer it is neither here nor there.

Stop being such an idiot.
Work until you die? on 14:37 - Aug 21 with 1379 viewsbluey_the_blue

Work until you die? on 14:33 - Aug 21 by londonlisa2001

It’s effectively means tested as anyone over £60k gets a child benefit of £nil. The way they administer it is neither here nor there.

Stop being such an idiot.

Well, it's effectively which is what I agree with.

It's not means tested though, is it? It doesn't get tested at source.
Work until you die? on 15:30 - Aug 21 with 1358 viewsProfessor

Work until you die? on 14:37 - Aug 21 by bluey_the_blue

Well, it's effectively which is what I agree with.

It's not means tested though, is it? It doesn't get tested at source.

Well, I have not had any for several years, because it is in effect means tested.
Work until you die? on 16:06 - Aug 21 with 1337 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Tory’s are c@nts don’t beat about the bush here .

They take all our money and point out that it’s all the poor ,disabled and immigrants fault.

But fair play to them millions of morons fall for it.

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Work until you die? on 16:07 - Aug 21 with 1337 viewsBatterseajack

Work until you die? on 15:30 - Aug 21 by Professor

Well, I have not had any for several years, because it is in effect means tested.

I'm not receiving any either.
Work until you die? on 16:52 - Aug 21 with 1305 viewsHighjack

Work until you die? on 16:07 - Aug 21 by Batterseajack

I'm not receiving any either.

Not me.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Work until you die? on 16:55 - Aug 21 with 1303 viewsFireboy2

Work until you die? on 16:06 - Aug 21 by oh_tommy_tommy

Tory’s are c@nts don’t beat about the bush here .

They take all our money and point out that it’s all the poor ,disabled and immigrants fault.

But fair play to them millions of morons fall for it.

Plainly written, to the point and spot on, well done Thomas
[Post edited 23 Aug 2019 22:39]
Work until you die? (n/t) on 17:28 - Aug 21 with 1272 viewsDrGonzo

[Post edited 21 Aug 2019 17:43]
Work until you die? on 21:05 - Aug 22 with 1113 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Work until you die? on 16:55 - Aug 21 by Fireboy2

Plainly written, to the point and spot on, well done Thomas
[Post edited 23 Aug 2019 22:39]

😉

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024