Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Moving Home late in life 11:41 - Aug 29 with 3311 viewsperchrockjack

Serious point here and God help anyone derailing; misus is "thinking" of moving and utilising our life savings to move to a Bungalow inland (Wirral) right in the middle of the countryside.Downside is the fact that there is little there walkable,ie,pub,chemist,doctor;it is also miles away from Merseyrail for Liverpool visits and I hate buses ,which are the alternative.

Biggest problem I have is uprooting from a very happy home to a "snooty" but beautiful part of the world that will see us with less friendly neighbours. That said,there is a cottage not too far away that has no neighbours within 400 yards. When you get old, you need support and I am not sure I want to live in a truly sleepy milieu.

North East Wales is cheaper but far more remote and when you face an emergency you are better off near facilities.

Any sensible replies welcomed.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Moving Home late in life on 11:52 - Aug 29 with 2079 viewsgadgetuk

My wife's aunt and uncle moved to a remote part of italy, which initially they loved but now regret as they are so far from anyone. They would like to move either back to the UK or to a property that is more central, but cannot find anyone to buy their house.

Surely there are places that could offer the type of house you like without being quite so remote.
Moving Home late in life on 12:07 - Aug 29 with 2054 viewsPhil_S

Do not discount the possibility of lifetime mortgages and the such which have - rightly so - in the past have had bad press but now allow people to release equity from the home without mortgaging it to the hilt or ripping away any inheritance you have designated for your offspring.

Area etc is certainly a big part of that but if its financial reasons then I would always consult an expert (financial adviser not necessarily one of the ads on the TV!)
Moving Home late in life on 12:20 - Aug 29 with 2040 viewsWingstandwood

Moving Home late in life on 11:52 - Aug 29 by gadgetuk

My wife's aunt and uncle moved to a remote part of italy, which initially they loved but now regret as they are so far from anyone. They would like to move either back to the UK or to a property that is more central, but cannot find anyone to buy their house.

Surely there are places that could offer the type of house you like without being quite so remote.

Indeed, the happy-medium approach is a rather nice solution if manageable and available. A few waiting patients I've met and talked to when I take my elderly mother to a monthly Singleton Hospital clinic have downsized and moved to quieter areas with accessible local services. There seems to be no regrets, in fact I get the impression that they've been reinvigorated by it. A new lease of life as it were.

I know of a lady and wealthy ex-owner of a once extremely well known Swansea run business, she moved many years ago to a lovely picturesque rural area, albeit rather isolated with neighbours far apart on long winding country roads. She now wants to move elsewhere i.e. closer to centralised services and community since her husband had a stroke.... Living in the 'back-of-beyond' does indeed have both positives and negatives.

*Edit* Isolated locations can be an absolute mare at times. The crew who manned Cwm Clydach pumping station finished their night shift only to be marooned and snowed-in by the great snowfall of 1982. They did not get home for a few days. If it was not for the kindness of the locals from The New Inn they would have starved.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2019 12:41]

Argus!

Moving Home late in life on 12:35 - Aug 29 with 1991 viewslifelong

I think it’s worth bearing in mind that if you move to a remote area one of you may become incapacitated in some way and will find it difficult to get around.
This has happened to someone I know in his late 70’s, he has suffered a heart attack and is no longer capable of driving. His wife does not drive, there is no train or bus service locally and they are dependant on other people to go anywhere.
Moving Home late in life on 12:43 - Aug 29 with 1969 viewsjackharris

I think you need to choose a happy medium, you need to be somewhere that has the chemist, Dr, etc not too far away. If the stairs is a problem you could fit a stair lift, my mum was a district nurse and her back and knees have gone and she has a stairlift and it’s great for her. Are their any nice bungalows close by to where you are now. Are there any nice bungalows in any nice villages in the countryside, the best of both worlds?

Although you do now have pharmacies that deliver and there are a wide range of companies that deliver a wide range of products through the use of the internet. And GP’s seem to be doing most of their work over the phone these days.

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

Moving Home late in life on 13:17 - Aug 29 with 1912 viewsUxbridge

Location. Location. Location. Above all else, as you get older.

I expect you've got a fair bit more time ahead of you, but you're right to be cautious about being too far away from much-needed services and support. Have seen it with family members, and it can be an issue for you and your loved ones who can often bear the burden.

Saying that, live your life the best you can. I'd up sticks to somewhere with nobody within a mile or two in a heartbeat if it wasn't for annoying practicalities like kids, school and work.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Moving Home late in life on 13:21 - Aug 29 with 1904 viewsdickythorpe

There's good clinics in Switzerland.
Moving Home late in life on 13:47 - Aug 29 with 1862 viewsperchrockjack

Appreciate the replies.

We spent much of Jne in rural France in glorious ,painful isolation.

I have a chum who runs a campsite in Trawsfynydd and we are staggered at how little is there but for his punters,it is the attraction.

We do not know how long we have left ,do we.

When I m gone, you re gonna miss me when I'm gone

Login to get fewer ads

Moving Home late in life on 17:10 - Aug 29 with 1744 viewsLohengrin

Moving Home late in life on 13:47 - Aug 29 by perchrockjack

Appreciate the replies.

We spent much of Jne in rural France in glorious ,painful isolation.

I have a chum who runs a campsite in Trawsfynydd and we are staggered at how little is there but for his punters,it is the attraction.

We do not know how long we have left ,do we.

When I m gone, you re gonna miss me when I'm gone

Tap in, Perch.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Moving Home late in life on 17:37 - Aug 29 with 1699 viewsmonmouth

Moving Home late in life on 12:07 - Aug 29 by Phil_S

Do not discount the possibility of lifetime mortgages and the such which have - rightly so - in the past have had bad press but now allow people to release equity from the home without mortgaging it to the hilt or ripping away any inheritance you have designated for your offspring.

Area etc is certainly a big part of that but if its financial reasons then I would always consult an expert (financial adviser not necessarily one of the ads on the TV!)

These are still terrible value unless they have changed out of all recognition. Equity release is the next but one misselling scandal in my view, after university degrees and student loans.

I’m luckier than Perch in that my missus also wants to move, but not to the Wirral, and not to a bungalow (‘you lose mobility if you don’t climb stairs’ apparently). She wants the far more delightful trappings of Mumbles/Norton. I’d have to give up work though, and I don’t want to. I also like it round here.

I’d stick with the proven good neighbours and quiet secure location myself. Oh and a surgery where you can get appointments and some shops close by. Plus a bus route, hate it or not, when you can’t drive you might need it. I suppose you can get taxis but I hate taxi drivers even more than getting buses.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Moving Home late in life on 17:42 - Aug 29 with 1688 viewsJackfath

What age is "late in life"?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Moving Home late in life on 18:28 - Aug 29 with 1649 viewsunion_jack

Moving Home late in life on 17:42 - Aug 29 by Jackfath

What age is "late in life"?

The day you die I’d imagine.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Moving Home late in life on 18:31 - Aug 29 with 1634 viewsJackfath

Moving Home late in life on 18:28 - Aug 29 by union_jack

The day you die I’d imagine.

Why move on that day? Think of the stress that would create.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Moving Home late in life on 19:25 - Aug 29 with 1571 viewsKilkennyjack

Keep busy and have interests.

Try to learn/improve your Welsh.

Beware of the Risen People

Moving Home late in life on 20:10 - Aug 29 with 1492 viewsoldcob

If you can't agree compromise. Let your missus live in inland Wirral, and you stay in the 'Pool. Seriously though, it's very stressful moving home, even if you are both in 100% agreement and young. One of the most stressful things you can do in life. It's bound to have a detrimental effect on your health if you are both getting on, and you'll need that chemists close at hand.
Moving Home late in life on 20:15 - Aug 29 with 1480 viewsperchrockjack

Moving Home late in life on 20:10 - Aug 29 by oldcob

If you can't agree compromise. Let your missus live in inland Wirral, and you stay in the 'Pool. Seriously though, it's very stressful moving home, even if you are both in 100% agreement and young. One of the most stressful things you can do in life. It's bound to have a detrimental effect on your health if you are both getting on, and you'll need that chemists close at hand.

cob
Neither of us have ever lived over the water.Like it here too much.Its a great place to visit and work,no matter what is posted continually on here.

Good n bad everywhere,innit

Moving Home late in life on 20:15 - Aug 29 with 1477 viewsbuilthjack

Move to mid Wales.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Moving Home late in life on 20:16 - Aug 29 with 1473 viewsNeathJack

Moving Home late in life on 18:31 - Aug 29 by Jackfath

Why move on that day? Think of the stress that would create.

Probably what kills you.
Moving Home late in life on 20:18 - Aug 29 with 1467 viewsperchrockjack

Stress of moving also puts me off.We have 38 years of happy memories and artifacts in this house.

Moving Home late in life on 20:25 - Aug 29 with 1451 viewsmonmouth

Moving Home late in life on 20:18 - Aug 29 by perchrockjack

Stress of moving also puts me off.We have 38 years of happy memories and artifacts in this house.

Stay put mun.

It IS bloody stressful to move. I keep thinking of the first time I walk Ito a ‘worse’ house, or smaller rooms. How would I feel? Just pay people to do the maintenance on your current gaff with what you save on fees and taxes....or buy a Bentley....

Don’t bite.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Moving Home late in life on 20:39 - Aug 29 with 1433 viewsperchrockjack

Moving Home late in life on 20:25 - Aug 29 by monmouth

Stay put mun.

It IS bloody stressful to move. I keep thinking of the first time I walk Ito a ‘worse’ house, or smaller rooms. How would I feel? Just pay people to do the maintenance on your current gaff with what you save on fees and taxes....or buy a Bentley....

Don’t bite.

It is a real issue monny. We have today looked at a location in central Wirral,in countryside,20 mins walk to shore and near bus route to Liverpool.
If a house comes up for sale ,we will look at it.

Moving Home late in life on 20:41 - Aug 29 with 1428 viewsperchrockjack

What is Monmouth town like to live in.Been through there many times and looks beautiful but its too far from the sea and a big city .

Moving Home late in life on 20:42 - Aug 29 with 1424 viewsbuilthjack

Moving Home late in life on 20:39 - Aug 29 by perchrockjack

It is a real issue monny. We have today looked at a location in central Wirral,in countryside,20 mins walk to shore and near bus route to Liverpool.

Use your bus pass mun

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Moving Home late in life on 20:45 - Aug 29 with 1420 viewsProfessor

Moving Home late in life on 20:39 - Aug 29 by perchrockjack

Whereabouts? Sounds like Storeton sort of area. You have a lovely house and a great location up there. I would only move to West Kirby from here.
Moving Home late in life on 20:46 - Aug 29 with 1417 viewsperchrockjack

Pointless if you are disabled /infirm /sick and miles from a bus stop or train station.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024