Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do we WANT Premier League football???? 16:13 - Sep 2 with 12001 viewsGammon

Lots of Swans fans I know are enjoying life in the Champ these days. No stress of going down, matches are better and we dominate games more often than not....

I don't know if I can handle life back in the Prem. Its too stressful and with our owners we come straight back down anyway.
Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 20:58 - Sep 2 with 1484 viewsRevJames

The minute we do well, players are sold and managers move on.

It's succession planning and scouting that we need to be better at so that we don't repeat disaster of the final few years in the PL.

Still only September and every team has a dip so not counting chickens just yet...
Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 21:01 - Sep 2 with 1472 viewsjackrabbit

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 16:35 - Sep 2 by MrSwerve

Of course we want to be in the PL. FFS.

Well said. The ultimate rhetorical question. Swans’ Premier League years were the best of times. Bring it back on.
Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 21:04 - Sep 2 with 1460 viewsGaryjack

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 20:58 - Sep 2 by RevJames

It's succession planning and scouting that we need to be better at so that we don't repeat disaster of the final few years in the PL.

Still only September and every team has a dip so not counting chickens just yet...

I hope nobody is getting carried away Rev, but no prob with enjoying the moment.
Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 21:13 - Sep 2 with 1435 viewsjackrmee

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 20:58 - Sep 2 by RevJames

And that's exactly what Birch and the crew are doing. Succession planning. The off field appointees are some of the shrewdest dealings I have seen as a fan of this club.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 21:20 - Sep 2 with 1418 viewsKilkennyjack

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 17:42 - Sep 2 by Groo

If we want to keep our Cat 1 academy then absolutely.

Hi Cameron 👋🏿,

Other way around pal.

The academy exists to support our first team needs.
The first team don't exist to support a Level 1 academy.

Last stay in the Prem our Academy contributed Roberts for last six games. Thats it.

Beware of the Risen People

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 21:22 - Sep 2 with 1413 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 17:49 - Sep 2 by Glyn1

It wouldn't be that profitable though. If you go down and then go straight up again, you lose some of your parachute payments (which is fair enough).

Would they be needed if we went staight back up to 150 million smackers?

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 21:30 - Sep 2 with 1387 viewslonglostjack

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 21:20 - Sep 2 by Kilkennyjack

Hi Cameron 👋🏿,

Other way around pal.

Last stay in the Prem our Academy contributed Roberts for last six games. Thats it.

I don’t agree with your logic. I’d love to see the Academy loaning out players to other Premier League sides because they couldn’t get into our first team. An Academy full of Harry Wilson level talent not quite good enough for the Swans. I have a dream.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 21:37 - Sep 2 with 1365 viewsjasper_T

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 21:20 - Sep 2 by Kilkennyjack

Hi Cameron 👋🏿,

Other way around pal.

Truth somewhere in the middle imo. As one of the very few big clubs in Wales there is something of a duty to provide the best possible home for the development of Welsh footballers. We're a small country so if we don't do it, who will? The Welsh Prem doesn't have anything like the resources the Football League and PL academy structure can provide. So we ought to be taking advantage of that.

But certainly not to the detriment of the club's financial health. And an expensive category status isn't necessarily the best way to do that, anyway. Not when our development sides have been packed with imports until very recently, and talented local lads have been starved of valuable gametime and released from the club.
Login to get fewer ads

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 21:39 - Sep 2 with 1358 viewsphact0rri

For me, if there really is a "five year plan" I'd hope if we went up early we do so smartly continuing the plan and maybe we can afford an extra player or two. then when we fall back down to championship we will have three new years of parachute payments.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 21:40 - Sep 2 with 1345 viewsGaryjack

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 21:39 - Sep 2 by phact0rri

For me, if there really is a "five year plan" I'd hope if we went up early we do so smartly continuing the plan and maybe we can afford an extra player or two. then when we fall back down to championship we will have three new years of parachute payments.

What 5 year plan? Have i missed something?
Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 21:52 - Sep 2 with 1324 viewsphact0rri

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 21:40 - Sep 2 by Garyjack

What 5 year plan? Have i missed something?

maybe birch and co tend to mention a "five year plan" quite often.

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 21:54 - Sep 2 with 1320 viewsjackrmee

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 21:39 - Sep 2 by phact0rri

There's not always a need to fall back down.
Look at Bournemouth. They are a steady prem team now, with the longest serving premier league manager at the helm. That could so easily be us. We are potentially a bigger club than them with more fans, better academy and reach for players and fans alike.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 21:57 - Sep 2 with 1314 viewsphact0rri

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 21:54 - Sep 2 by jackrmee

There's not always a need to fall back down.
Look at Bournemouth. They are a steady prem team now, with the longest serving premier league manager at the helm. That could so easily be us. We are potentially a bigger club than them with more fans, better academy and reach for players and fans alike.

you are right, we don't need to fall back down, and maybe we won't. But if we don't break the bank we have less pressure to feel if we do.

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 22:05 - Sep 2 with 1292 viewsjackrmee

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 21:57 - Sep 2 by phact0rri

you are right, we don't need to fall back down, and maybe we won't. But if we don't break the bank we have less pressure to feel if we do.

Yep and that's why Birch is the man for the job. I can't see us making any of the stupid mistakes we did in the past with forking out tens of millions on gambles for players. If we do need to break our transfer record, it will be on the right ones, from a very well experienced backroom team with Scott heading recruitment.
Trev won't be handing out crazy contracts when he knows there's a risk of relegation.
To me, that feels much more secure than before.

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 22:06 - Sep 2 with 1288 viewsGaryjack

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 21:52 - Sep 2 by phact0rri

Do they? Have you got a link, cos i've never heard it? Not that i'm disbelieving you of course.
Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 22:07 - Sep 2 with 1287 viewsJinxy

I think everyone is being unfair and misunderstanding the OP here. It's all about enjoying football isn't it, whatever the "level"? Frankly, I am so enjoying watching our young players playing attacking possession football. The PL is ALL about the money, with no time or patience afforded to players that need time to prove/develop, be they young or old.

Most of those that didn't renew their ST's will disagree with the OP, and I understand the natural desire to improve at all costs (I said as much to to Potter), but for me the matchday experience is king (whether home, away or on the telly) - I'm loving our football now and would really rather not watch over paid, overrated (Clucas for God's sake) and not bothered (Ki) footballers prancing about, looking good on the "big" stage. I don't care what anyone thinks of this tbh.
Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 22:22 - Sep 2 with 1253 viewsphact0rri

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 22:06 - Sep 2 by Garyjack

Do they? Have you got a link, cos i've never heard it? Not that i'm disbelieving you of course.

doing a quick google search nothing came up. so maybe I dreamed the whole thing or I heard it on some spoken interviews. At anyrate it existing or not doesn't affect the argument, that I hope we are careful and continue to the path to get to firm financial ground before we try to spend to advance in the football leagues.

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 22:40 - Sep 2 with 1232 viewsMagic_Michu

People said we’d fall straight back down last time and we last 7 years... and should have stayed longer if it wasn’t for Jenkins and co getting distracted and taking their eyes off the ball.

I feel we’d be in a stronger position going up now than we were before.

Twitter: @swanseadan
Poll: Will the Woods deal happen?

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 00:41 - Sep 3 with 1151 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 22:07 - Sep 2 by Jinxy

I think everyone is being unfair and misunderstanding the OP here. It's all about enjoying football isn't it, whatever the "level"? Frankly, I am so enjoying watching our young players playing attacking possession football. The PL is ALL about the money, with no time or patience afforded to players that need time to prove/develop, be they young or old.

Most of those that didn't renew their ST's will disagree with the OP, and I understand the natural desire to improve at all costs (I said as much to to Potter), but for me the matchday experience is king (whether home, away or on the telly) - I'm loving our football now and would really rather not watch over paid, overrated (Clucas for God's sake) and not bothered (Ki) footballers prancing about, looking good on the "big" stage. I don't care what anyone thinks of this tbh.

Jinxy , you’re a cool cat but there is another way. I couldn’t see Birch buying a Clucas over Cooper’s head because he thinks he’s a scouting DOF. No , our recruitment may be more along the lines of ML, buy cheap foreign players who turn into superstars

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 01:33 - Sep 3 with 1131 viewsJackBishop

I wrote this comment on 5th July 2017:
I was in Cardiff today at a conference and had to sit with a bunch of local noises. The conversation was about Cardiff and how the lack of a club in the Prem was hampering raising the profile of the city. They were listing the advantages they had over the Swans of a bigger ground, larger fan base and a more populous hinterland. Plus Cardiff is the capital city and is more prosperous and a bigger economic hub.
Eventually I was asked where I was from and I was able to say the home of the only Premier club in Wales and I have a season ticket. I was described as lucky and my parentage doubted.
If we go up and leave the Scummers behind that will be great. We get fook all in Swansea, if we get our place back in the Prem every MOTD, Sky Sports broadcast, BT footy show, Radio 5 Live and even TalkfockingSport is one in the eye for Das Kapital, BBCland. Wales Online and most of all Jason M the King of Snide.
Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 03:51 - Sep 3 with 1099 viewsCooperman

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 21:52 - Sep 2 by phact0rri

I’ve never heard of a five year plan.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 05:40 - Sep 3 with 1074 viewsKilkennyjack

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 21:37 - Sep 2 by jasper_T

Truth somewhere in the middle imo. As one of the very few big clubs in Wales there is something of a duty to provide the best possible home for the development of Welsh footballers. We're a small country so if we don't do it, who will? The Welsh Prem doesn't have anything like the resources the Football League and PL academy structure can provide. So we ought to be taking advantage of that.

But certainly not to the detriment of the club's financial health. And an expensive category status isn't necessarily the best way to do that, anyway. Not when our development sides have been packed with imports until very recently, and talented local lads have been starved of valuable gametime and released from the club.

Totally agree.

Great post 👍

Beware of the Risen People

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 06:32 - Sep 3 with 1063 viewsdameedna

Either

Go up and retain and buy new players

Or

Stay in Championship, lose players, get relegated

I don't mind L1 football but prefer premiership football

Come on Coops and Co get us up this year as champions we have the players to do it
Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 07:00 - Sep 3 with 1053 viewsDr_Winston

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 21:30 - Sep 2 by longlostjack

I don’t agree with your logic. I’d love to see the Academy loaning out players to other Premier League sides because they couldn’t get into our first team. An Academy full of Harry Wilson level talent not quite good enough for the Swans. I have a dream.

You're looking for logic in a Kilkenny academy post?

Good luck.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 07:02 - Sep 3 with 1048 viewsDr_Winston

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 21:37 - Sep 2 by jasper_T

We have a duty to produce players for SCFC good enough for our first team so that we don't have to spend millions buying them in from elsewhere. That's it. We have no other responsibilities or concerns.

If the FAW want Welsh players produced they can spend their own money doing it.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024