Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do we WANT Premier League football???? 16:13 - Sep 2 with 12175 viewsGammon

Lots of Swans fans I know are enjoying life in the Champ these days. No stress of going down, matches are better and we dominate games more often than not....

I don't know if I can handle life back in the Prem. Its too stressful and with our owners we come straight back down anyway.
Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 09:16 - Sep 3 with 2011 views3swan

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 22:06 - Sep 2 by Garyjack

Do they? Have you got a link, cos i've never heard it? Not that i'm disbelieving you of course.

I've read about comments being made that the club wants to be back in the Prem within 5 years but read nothing of an actual 5 year plan.
Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 09:55 - Sep 3 with 1975 viewsCaptain_Sham

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 21:22 - Sep 2 by Brynmill_Jack

Would they be needed if we went staight back up to 150 million smackers?

Glyn cant be that stupid surely. No wait.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2019 9:58]

Its just a ride.

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 10:07 - Sep 3 with 1971 viewsChubz

For me it's a no - based on what I saw over 7 seasons. The few fun moments are just not worth the whole experience. The whole circus that goes on outside the playing field is also obscene.

Of course if we win promotion I'll take it - but don't expect me to enjoy it.
Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 10:15 - Sep 3 with 1960 viewsJinxy

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 00:41 - Sep 3 by Brynmill_Jack

Jinxy , you’re a cool cat but there is another way. I couldn’t see Birch buying a Clucas over Cooper’s head because he thinks he’s a scouting DOF. No , our recruitment may be more along the lines of ML, buy cheap foreign players who turn into superstars

I agree. Birch is like a breath of fresh air. He has a "harsh but fair" air about him. He certainly wouldn't have made those transfer errors, in my view. I think if we could return to the PL and maintain what we had in our first 4 years there, we'd all probs take it. Trouble is, ego and greed (and ££££ pressure too) soon appear!
Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 11:03 - Sep 3 with 1932 viewsbluenile

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 10:07 - Sep 3 by Chubz

For me it's a no - based on what I saw over 7 seasons. The few fun moments are just not worth the whole experience. The whole circus that goes on outside the playing field is also obscene.

Of course if we win promotion I'll take it - but don't expect me to enjoy it.

Sorry, but I hate a lack of ambition, life is never easy, but absolutely no reason to give up. I'll take promotion all day long.

Open the ipod bay doors Hal

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 11:10 - Sep 3 with 1936 viewsjasper_T

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 07:02 - Sep 3 by Dr_Winston

We have a duty to produce players for SCFC good enough for our first team so that we don't have to spend millions buying them in from elsewhere. That's it. We have no other responsibilities or concerns.

If the FAW want Welsh players produced they can spend their own money doing it.

The FAW doesn't have the money. We get millions in contributions from the PL every year towards or academy system, as well as TV money which - while much smaller than what we had in the PL - is still far more than Welsh Prem clubs can dream of receiving.

Some people will have a "Swansea First Team Only" perspective on football and that's fine, but I'm not one of them. Academies can do more (like selling to clubs further down the pyramid to earn back some money), and have a duty of care to the kids they shove down its conveyor belt.
Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 11:16 - Sep 3 with 1925 viewsjackrmee

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 11:10 - Sep 3 by jasper_T

The FAW doesn't have the money. We get millions in contributions from the PL every year towards or academy system, as well as TV money which - while much smaller than what we had in the PL - is still far more than Welsh Prem clubs can dream of receiving.

Some people will have a "Swansea First Team Only" perspective on football and that's fine, but I'm not one of them. Academies can do more (like selling to clubs further down the pyramid to earn back some money), and have a duty of care to the kids they shove down its conveyor belt.

I agree with you that morally we should be concentrating our academy to bring through Welsh players, but I also agree with Dr that the club are paying for the academy, so technically, its there to bring us better players, not Wales. Hence if that means buying players from Scotland which stops the progress of local talent, that's what has to be done.

It has to be ssaid though, the recruitment team and non playing stafff have now been given a major upgrade, so if there is local talent available who are better than what we can buy in, I'm sure we have the people to spot it now.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 11:34 - Sep 3 with 1915 viewsDr_Winston

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 11:16 - Sep 3 by jackrmee

I agree with you that morally we should be concentrating our academy to bring through Welsh players, but I also agree with Dr that the club are paying for the academy, so technically, its there to bring us better players, not Wales. Hence if that means buying players from Scotland which stops the progress of local talent, that's what has to be done.

It has to be ssaid though, the recruitment team and non playing stafff have now been given a major upgrade, so if there is local talent available who are better than what we can buy in, I'm sure we have the people to spot it now.

Exactly.

It'd be great to see lots of talented young Welsh players come through the system, but the nationality of our youth products should be very much a secondary concern.

The priory should be developing lots of talented, young, intelligent, well rounded players. If they're Welsh, great. If not, it doesn't matter.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Login to get fewer ads

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 11:48 - Sep 3 with 1908 viewsjasper_T

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 11:16 - Sep 3 by jackrmee

When the local talent is Jack Evans and the Scottish is Ryan Blair and you're spending hundreds of grand for the privilege something's going wrong.

It's not like we can afford to do that sort of thing now anyway. These aren't mutually exclusive objectives. It's not a choice between developing local footballers and having players good enough for Swansea City. Two of our current back four attest to that (and both became professionals in 2015 before we had Cat One status).

When four local academy products might line up for Wales on Friday it's more than simply a moral issue. It's an advert for the club and the academy, and the players themselves. Does Dan James go to United for £15m without a few Wales caps? Look at it entirely selfishly and that open international pathway is good for the club's bottom line. If aforementioned Jack Evans gets half a dozen starts for us between now and Christmas you think he won't be in people's anticipated senior squads by New Year, ahead of Joe Morrell and Dylan Levitt?
Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 18:13 - Sep 3 with 1806 viewsDewi1jack

Not read all the pages.
This is my humble opinion.

League cup win some seasons for another Euro adventure.

Mid table in the prem for many years and a FA cup win with our eastern cousins stuck in L1 for many years.

And I still think they'd believe they were bigger than Barcelona

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 18:45 - Sep 3 with 1774 viewsCaptain_Sham

Not only have you not read any of the posts, it doesn't appear that you read the subject either.

Its just a ride.

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 19:18 - Sep 3 with 1748 viewsPacemaker

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 21:54 - Sep 2 by jackrmee

There's not always a need to fall back down.
Look at Bournemouth. They are a steady prem team now, with the longest serving premier league manager at the helm. That could so easily be us. We are potentially a bigger club than them with more fans, better academy and reach for players and fans alike.

Bournemouth are bankrolled by a Russian oligarch so it does not matter how big their soon to be demolished stadium is and I have no doubt that they will get a full 30k every week once it’s built.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 21:20 - Sep 3 with 1710 viewsChubz

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 11:03 - Sep 3 by bluenile

Sorry, but I hate a lack of ambition, life is never easy, but absolutely no reason to give up. I'll take promotion all day long.

Then you agree with me about taking promotion ;-)

Not sure how struggling with the 'rarely mentioned' is a measure of ambition - or are you just motivated by the money? How did that go in the last 2 years?
Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 21:28 - Sep 3 with 1683 viewsGaryjack

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 21:20 - Sep 3 by Chubz

Not sure how struggling with the 'rarely mentioned' is a measure of ambition - or are you just motivated by the money? How did that go in the last 2 years?

Are you ok pal? It's got nothing to do with money, as any genuine fan would know. It's about being the best you can be, and pitting your wits against the best. That is what sport is all about isn't it?
[Post edited 3 Sep 2019 21:29]
Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 01:41 - Sep 4 with 1628 viewsjackrmee

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 11:48 - Sep 3 by jasper_T

When the local talent is Jack Evans and the Scottish is Ryan Blair and you're spending hundreds of grand for the privilege something's going wrong.

It's not like we can afford to do that sort of thing now anyway. These aren't mutually exclusive objectives. It's not a choice between developing local footballers and having players good enough for Swansea City. Two of our current back four attest to that (and both became professionals in 2015 before we had Cat One status).

When four local academy products might line up for Wales on Friday it's more than simply a moral issue. It's an advert for the club and the academy, and the players themselves. Does Dan James go to United for £15m without a few Wales caps? Look at it entirely selfishly and that open international pathway is good for the club's bottom line. If aforementioned Jack Evans gets half a dozen starts for us between now and Christmas you think he won't be in people's anticipated senior squads by New Year, ahead of Joe Morrell and Dylan Levitt?

Very well put. Honestly didn't think of it that way.
Those Welsh kids still have to be good enough though. The ones coming through now definitely are. Lets hope there's a pathway for generations to come.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 09:21 - Sep 4 with 1527 viewsperchrockjack

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 21:28 - Sep 3 by Garyjack

Are you ok pal? It's got nothing to do with money, as any genuine fan would know. It's about being the best you can be, and pitting your wits against the best. That is what sport is all about isn't it?
[Post edited 3 Sep 2019 21:29]

Of course it is Gary.If we have players who do not want to play at the highest level then wtf.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 10:09 - Sep 4 with 1509 viewsJacket

While I get all the arguements against being in the PL, who plays in a League they don't want to win or do the best they possibly can in it? For that reason, how can we possibly not want to get promoted to the Premier League? We might enjoy this League more because we win matches in it and if we start not winning games in this league, we'll stop enjoying this league, and on and on until we're back to the bottom of the pile, or even worse.
Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 10:47 - Sep 4 with 1489 viewsbluenile

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 21:20 - Sep 3 by Chubz

Don't wish to sound dumb, but that makes absolutely no sense to me. Can you clarify whatever point it is you're trying to make? Thanks.

Open the ipod bay doors Hal

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 13:41 - Sep 4 with 1442 viewsbakajack

I have no issues with us being in the Premier League and would gladly welcome a return to the top division.

Our biggest issue when we first went up in 2011 was that something like 90% of our income was generated by revenue that had nothing to do with the club itself (broadcast rights for example), quite simply we were a Premier League club with League 1 commercial revenue.

That was fine to begin with, but after a couple of years in the Prem we let the wage structure get out of control to the extent that over 70% of our turnover was being spent on wages alone, let alone transfer fees, agent fees, running costs of academy, etc (link below for evidence).

We reached a point where it was impossible to stay afloat without the premier league money and in desperation we would panic buy players and agreed to demands to not include relegation wage reduction clauses. This was what led to us having to tear apart the relegation squad and go through all of last season with both hands tied behind our backs from a transfer perspective, having the likes of 80k pw Ayew, 100k pw Bony, etc on the pay roll and being totally unable to shift them due to the poor performances/injury records in the relegation season.

There is nothing wrong with getting promoted again as long as lessons were learned from the past and we maintain a proper and responsible wage structure to deal with the inevitable relegation and not end up in the situation that we were in last season.

http://financialfootballnews.com/premier-league-2018-finances-revenue/
http://financialfootballnews.com/premier-league-2018-finances-wages/
Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 18:51 - Sep 4 with 1383 viewsBrynCartwright

My reply to the OP is..

Yes

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 20:03 - Sep 4 with 1334 viewsViking_Jock

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 16:17 - Sep 2 by Al_Bundy

I miss our Danish, Korean and Swedish fans ... they have disappeared now along with our plastic part time glory hunters . I would go back to the Prem so we can talk about stadium expansions again.

Forgotten but not completely gone. Grats on your good season start.

Poll: Which song is the best banjo song.

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 16:31 - Sep 5 with 1169 viewsandypitt56

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 03:51 - Sep 3 by Cooperman

I’ve never heard of a five year plan.

I have heard about this 5 year plan as well, not sure what the original source is though. I think its been mentioned on a couple of Podcasts I have listened to. Might have been Wales online Standing on the north bank. Could also have been The EFL podcast.
Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 19:01 - Sep 5 with 1100 viewsperchrockjack

I think we will go up this year.

I think our owners will have learned.

To prefer to be in the Chapionship is beyond belief

We belong in the top flight.

Believe

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 19:48 - Sep 5 with 1078 viewsjacks777

What a fooking stupid question.
Do we WANT Premier League football???? on 13:30 - Sep 6 with 970 viewsBloodyhills

Any fan would want there team to win every game they play.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024