Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does Brexit die tonight? 11:59 - Sep 3 with 29737 viewswestwalesed

When this bill passes, which I expect it to, my understanding is that the EU theoretically can propose a different extension to the proposed January 31st, 2020 date currently in the bill.

The bill states that the PM has to accept that date, and that Parliament has two days to either accept or reject it (thereby putting any future extension date in the hands of Parliament as opposed to the PM). Given that we have a remain leaning parliament currently it's hard tp see how any proposed date would be rejected.

PM Johnson would then seek an election as he has stated, but now that it is looking as if the opposition parties may not get to the two-thirds of MPs required to trigger it, there will be no election at all. What then?

With a Govt that has to accept any date given and Parliament refusing to give him an opportunity to change the make up of the Commons, is this the day that Brexit dies?

Is it revoking A50 by the back door?

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

Does Brexit die tonight? on 13:40 - Sep 4 with 1745 viewsjackrmee

Does Brexit die tonight? on 19:36 - Sep 3 by exiledclaseboy

The government clearly doesn’t want to win tonight’s vote. No other reason why they’d put Rees Mogg up to lead its response. He’s well out of his depth at the despatch box.

It all seems to be falling apart for the Tories all too easily for me. Something is up. Would love to see this governement out of office, but as fuked as they seem, I still don't believe the slimy fukers are in as much trouble as they are portraying. Fat lady aint singing yet.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Does Brexit die tonight? on 13:46 - Sep 4 with 1730 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Does Brexit die tonight? on 13:40 - Sep 4 by jackrmee

It all seems to be falling apart for the Tories all too easily for me. Something is up. Would love to see this governement out of office, but as fuked as they seem, I still don't believe the slimy fukers are in as much trouble as they are portraying. Fat lady aint singing yet.

Maybe he's going to do a deal with Farage and campaign the election on a no deal ticket?

If Labour and other opposition parties don't do the same he'll win and implement no deal on February 1st..

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Does Brexit die tonight? on 13:51 - Sep 4 with 1718 viewsGroo

Does Brexit die tonight? on 13:46 - Sep 4 by Joe_bradshaw

Maybe he's going to do a deal with Farage and campaign the election on a no deal ticket?

If Labour and other opposition parties don't do the same he'll win and implement no deal on February 1st..

If it comes to a GE, I can see the Tories and Brexit Party carving up Labour between them.

As for OP, if Brexit dies then so does democracy, the people voted for an outcome, the majority in power disagreed and have actively blocked the people's vote.

The EU have seen no reason to compromise on anything, why would they when they see the disunity in the UK, the longer it goes on the better their chances to achieve their outcome, to keep the UK in the EU.

If Brexit dies, then the UK may as well go all in and start using the Euro and fall completely into line with central EU.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2019 13:55]

Groo does what Groo does best

Does Brexit die tonight? on 14:16 - Sep 4 with 1676 viewsJackSomething

Does Brexit die tonight? on 13:51 - Sep 4 by Groo

If it comes to a GE, I can see the Tories and Brexit Party carving up Labour between them.

As for OP, if Brexit dies then so does democracy, the people voted for an outcome, the majority in power disagreed and have actively blocked the people's vote.

The EU have seen no reason to compromise on anything, why would they when they see the disunity in the UK, the longer it goes on the better their chances to achieve their outcome, to keep the UK in the EU.

If Brexit dies, then the UK may as well go all in and start using the Euro and fall completely into line with central EU.

If all that bollocks was true, Brexiteers would be arguing for a second referendum to settle it once and for all. The fact they're not shows you the numbers don't support your argument.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2019 14:16]

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Does Brexit die tonight? on 16:02 - Sep 4 with 1636 viewsUxbridge

Does Brexit die tonight? on 13:51 - Sep 4 by Groo

Easy to say that from deepest Canada mate Some of us have to live with the consequences of No Deal.

Democracy takes a hit either way. If the disgraceful lies that swung the referendum are allowed to hold sway then it's damaged. If No Deal Brexit is allowed to be presented as the only acceptable form of Brexit then democracy takes a hit. Ditto if there's another referendum or A50 is revoked. If the MPs elected in 2017 under a manifesto that promised a deal would be obtained and an orderly Brexit would occur then seek to change that to a No Deal then democracy takes a hit. If MPs lose the whip for voting according to their manifesto but not the delusions of the lunatics at the wheel then democracy is definitely taking a hit.

I'm in favour of any option that doesn't completely decimate the economy as No Deal will. Democracy is in the toilet either way, and it's a long road out of this hole we're in.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Does Brexit die tonight? on 16:05 - Sep 4 with 1632 viewsHighjack

Does Brexit die tonight? on 14:16 - Sep 4 by JackSomething

If all that bollocks was true, Brexiteers would be arguing for a second referendum to settle it once and for all. The fact they're not shows you the numbers don't support your argument.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2019 14:16]

A second referendum with a second leave win would only leave the usual suspects demanding a third.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Does Brexit die tonight? on 16:29 - Sep 4 with 1587 viewsWingstandwood

Does Brexit die tonight? on 13:40 - Sep 4 by jackrmee

You seem astute, could all this indeed just be a devious Tory game, a trap set as it were?.... Both the Tories and Labour should fight an election on the no-deal Brexit question with no fudging, subterfuge, broken promises or voter mind games....No deal? Yes or no?... . Campaigning either for or against.... There again there is no way that Brexit can be kicked into the long grass however much some may want.

Could be repealed?...Maybe indeed not all over till the fat lady sings. Interesting interview here.

Argus!

Does Brexit die tonight? on 16:43 - Sep 4 with 1567 viewsUxbridge

Does Brexit die tonight? on 16:05 - Sep 4 by Highjack

A second referendum with a second leave win would only leave the usual suspects demanding a third.

Nah. Now the die is cast and Brexit is a binary choice between two actually achievable scenarios, there'd be no coming back.

The issue has always been the unicorns promised in 2016 which were dismissed as Project Fear but turned out to be Project A Bit Understated Really.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Login to get fewer ads

Does Brexit die tonight? on 17:19 - Sep 4 with 1531 viewswobbly

I really hope we get a GE called by the end of today.

The campaign would be terrifically entertaining on all sides. But the uproar when Boris gets returned on an absolute majority will be a sight to behold.
Does Brexit die tonight? on 17:38 - Sep 4 with 1506 viewsJackSomething

Does Brexit die tonight? on 16:05 - Sep 4 by Highjack

You keep pushing that agenda and there certainly would be the fringe elements who wouldn't let it go (which applies to both sides equally), but as long as the referendum was worded properly, then I would accept whatever result is produced and so would most other reasonable Remainers.

Does Brexit die tonight? on 17:41 - Sep 4 with 1497 viewsWarwickHunt

Does Brexit die tonight? on 17:19 - Sep 4 by wobbly

The campaign would be terrifically entertaining on all sides. But the uproar when Boris gets returned on an absolute majority will be a sight to behold.

He'll try but won't succeed.

He needs a two thirds majority and can't even manage 50%. Do keep up.
Does Brexit die tonight? on 17:44 - Sep 4 with 1488 viewsjacks777

Labour and the other anti Brexit parties are scared shiteless to agree to a GE.
They will get what they deserve - absolutely slaughtered.
Does Brexit die tonight? on 17:45 - Sep 4 with 1487 viewsJackSomething

Does Brexit die tonight? on 17:19 - Sep 4 by wobbly

If that extremely unlikely scenario were to come to pass, then we as a country would deserve all we get.

Does Brexit die tonight? on 17:47 - Sep 4 with 1483 viewswobbly

Does Brexit die tonight? on 17:41 - Sep 4 by WarwickHunt

He'll try but won't succeed.

He needs a two thirds majority and can't even manage 50%. Do keep up.

Which is why I said ‘hope’.

There are a lot of chess pieces on the board and it will be interesting to see the next few moves. Depending on what Boris does next and what the House of Lords do next, the ability of Corbyn to resist the calls for a GE may get harder.

Besides, you need to be on Sky News 24/7 at the moment to properly ‘Keep up’ and I’m not sure I have the stamina for that!
Does Brexit die tonight? on 19:06 - Sep 4 with 1433 viewsGroo

Does Brexit die tonight? on 16:02 - Sep 4 by Uxbridge

Easy to say that from deepest Canada mate Some of us have to live with the consequences of No Deal.

Democracy takes a hit either way. If the disgraceful lies that swung the referendum are allowed to hold sway then it's damaged. If No Deal Brexit is allowed to be presented as the only acceptable form of Brexit then democracy takes a hit. Ditto if there's another referendum or A50 is revoked. If the MPs elected in 2017 under a manifesto that promised a deal would be obtained and an orderly Brexit would occur then seek to change that to a No Deal then democracy takes a hit. If MPs lose the whip for voting according to their manifesto but not the delusions of the lunatics at the wheel then democracy is definitely taking a hit.

I'm in favour of any option that doesn't completely decimate the economy as No Deal will. Democracy is in the toilet either way, and it's a long road out of this hole we're in.

Who knows if it would have ended up as no deal if the UK could have negotiated with a strong hand, not with both hands tied behind its back.

The EU had no motivation to negotiate anything. They stood firm on keeping the UK tied.

Groo does what Groo does best

Does Brexit die tonight? on 20:47 - Sep 4 with 1377 viewsGowerjack

Does Brexit die tonight? on 17:47 - Sep 3 by bluey_the_blue

* bangs head *

There can be no deal progress until EU want to negotiate.
EU won't negotiate whilst MPs in HoC can block a no deal Brexit.
UK not putting any plans forward yet is meaningless as EU wouldn't negotiate.
That does not mean progress hasn't been made towards formulating plans to submit.

Benn can cite two EU leaders who don't want us leaving and a leaked claim all he likes.

Deluded.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Does Brexit die tonight? on 21:05 - Sep 4 with 1349 viewsWarwickHunt

Does Brexit die tonight? on 20:47 - Sep 4 by Gowerjack

Deluded.

It’s his middle name.
Does Brexit die tonight? on 21:09 - Sep 4 with 1340 viewsHighjack

Does Brexit die tonight? on 17:38 - Sep 4 by JackSomething

You keep pushing that agenda and there certainly would be the fringe elements who wouldn't let it go (which applies to both sides equally), but as long as the referendum was worded properly, then I would accept whatever result is produced and so would most other reasonable Remainers.

You all said that the first time.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Does Brexit die tonight? on 21:11 - Sep 4 with 1335 viewsWarwickHunt

Does Brexit die tonight? on 19:06 - Sep 4 by Groo

Who knows if it would have ended up as no deal if the UK could have negotiated with a strong hand, not with both hands tied behind its back.

The EU had no motivation to negotiate anything. They stood firm on keeping the UK tied.

Does Brexit die tonight? on 21:18 - Sep 4 with 1309 viewsexiledclaseboy

Does Brexit die tonight? on 21:09 - Sep 4 by Highjack

You all said that the first time.

Prove it. The only person I can remember saying unequivocally that if the result was close they wouldn’t let the issue lie was Nigel Farage.

Poll: Tory leader

Does Brexit die tonight? on 21:23 - Sep 4 with 1298 viewssg1912

Does Brexit die tonight? on 21:18 - Sep 4 by exiledclaseboy

Prove it. The only person I can remember saying unequivocally that if the result was close they wouldn’t let the issue lie was Nigel Farage.

There's a difference between not letting an issue lie and actively seeking to overturn a democratic referendum before it's implemented
Does Brexit die tonight? on 21:25 - Sep 4 with 1295 viewsexiledclaseboy

Does Brexit die tonight? on 21:23 - Sep 4 by sg1912

There's a difference between not letting an issue lie and actively seeking to overturn a democratic referendum before it's implemented

Yet no one is doing that. If they were Article 50 would have been revoked by now. Or never invoked in the first place. It’s easily done as I keep beingtold that most MPs favour remain so they should have the numbers.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2019 21:26]

Poll: Tory leader

Does Brexit die tonight? on 21:32 - Sep 4 with 1269 viewsKilkennyjack

Does Brexit die tonight? on 17:44 - Sep 4 by jacks777

Labour and the other anti Brexit parties are scared shiteless to agree to a GE.
They will get what they deserve - absolutely slaughtered.

They are not going to dance to Boris’s tune.

You do understand that Johnson has only offered it to disrespect to No Deal block... desperate stuff ...

And guess what, nobody trusts a liar PM ...

Beware of the Risen People

Does Brexit die tonight? on 21:36 - Sep 4 with 1249 viewsFlashberryjack

Does Brexit die tonight? on 21:32 - Sep 4 by Kilkennyjack

They are not going to dance to Boris’s tune.

You do understand that Johnson has only offered it to disrespect to No Deal block... desperate stuff ...

And guess what, nobody trusts a liar PM ...

"And guess what, nobody trusts a liar PM "

A PM that tells lies shock horror!! who would have thunk it.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Does Brexit die tonight? on 22:18 - Sep 4 with 1194 viewslonglostjack

Does Brexit die tonight? on 13:46 - Sep 4 by Joe_bradshaw

I certainly wouldn’t rule that out. The rationale being that if a hard Brexit is achieved the Tories would no longer have anything to fear from the Brexit Party as Farage would have achieved his objective. Boris could then offer the snake oil salesman the position of Foreign Secretary.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024