Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does Brexit die tonight? 11:59 - Sep 3 with 29552 viewswestwalesed

When this bill passes, which I expect it to, my understanding is that the EU theoretically can propose a different extension to the proposed January 31st, 2020 date currently in the bill.

The bill states that the PM has to accept that date, and that Parliament has two days to either accept or reject it (thereby putting any future extension date in the hands of Parliament as opposed to the PM). Given that we have a remain leaning parliament currently it's hard tp see how any proposed date would be rejected.

PM Johnson would then seek an election as he has stated, but now that it is looking as if the opposition parties may not get to the two-thirds of MPs required to trigger it, there will be no election at all. What then?

With a Govt that has to accept any date given and Parliament refusing to give him an opportunity to change the make up of the Commons, is this the day that Brexit dies?

Is it revoking A50 by the back door?

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

Does Brexit die tonight? on 08:34 - Sep 7 with 1208 viewsmonmouth

Does Brexit die tonight? on 00:12 - Sep 7 by sherpajacob

Speculation now that Johnson could still get no deal through one of two ways. notwithstanding he says he wants a deal.

He can request an extension as parliament requires, but.

- He refuses to nominate a Uk commissioner to the EU, so according to EU rules they kick us out.

- He gets Orban to veto the extension.

Both of the above seem too ridiculous to contemplate, yet with Johnson and Cummings in tandem, you can't rule them out.

He doesnt want no deal though. Or certainly to be the clear cause of no deal. He wants to blame others for no deal. As soon as the impact of no deal becomes apparent (medicine shortages, inflation 5.7%, food prices up, troops on the streets - that’s from the government sources ffs), and it becomes obvious we still have to beg for a deal with less power, he and the Tories are done, probably for good. I’d normally be ok with that, but not when it takes the country with it.

So no, he won’t do any of that. It’s all the usual piss and bluster from an arsehole and his crap Svengali. My bet is that he’ll run away and leave it to someone else now he’s realised he can’t cope just by lying and shouting and bumbling around as PM. It’s his USP. He thought he could just do what he’s always done and get by. It must be quite a shock to him that people and parliament are laughing at him not with him.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Does Brexit die tonight? on 08:55 - Sep 7 with 1196 viewsWarwickHunt

Marina Hyde in The Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/sep/06/boris-johnson-twilight-zon
Does Brexit die tonight? on 09:00 - Sep 7 with 1186 viewsGowerjack

Does Brexit die tonight? on 08:55 - Sep 7 by WarwickHunt

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/sep/06/boris-johnson-twilight-zon

"Cain and far more Able"

Almost Crace like!

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Does Brexit die tonight? on 09:02 - Sep 7 with 1181 viewsjackrmee

A GE shirley won't be the best way of sorting this out, as people will be forced to vote for someone simply because of their stance on Brexit, rather than what they stand for and what their policies are.

I don't want to have to do that.
I want to vote for the party who I think will help the country according to its manifesto, not be forced to ignore all that side of things and tactically vote for someone else, possibly making them PM, simply to guard whichever outcome on brexit I prefer.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Does Brexit die tonight? on 09:06 - Sep 7 with 1175 viewsGwyn737

Does Brexit die tonight? on 08:55 - Sep 7 by WarwickHunt

She’s on fire at the moment.

If Boris was the answer, what the hell was the question?
Does Brexit die tonight? on 09:06 - Sep 7 with 1174 viewsbluey_the_blue

Rumour on social media Corbyn has offered SNP a post election coalition, giving them second independence referendum, if they vote against government's GE motion.

EDIT:

Doesn't make sense to me, the'd vote against it anyway, so why offer anything?
[Post edited 7 Sep 2019 9:07]
Does Brexit die tonight? on 09:28 - Sep 7 with 1137 viewsKilkennyjack

👏

Beware of the Risen People

Does Brexit die tonight? on 09:33 - Sep 7 with 1125 viewssherpajacob

Does Brexit die tonight? on 21:51 - Sep 6 by Flashberryjack

I think you'd be surprised, at least Boris seems to be bringing brexit to a head, instead of the festering mess it's been for the last 3 years.

Shame Leadsom didn't become PM when she had the chance.

Brexit would have been dead and buried before 2017.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Login to get fewer ads

Does Brexit die tonight? on 09:45 - Sep 7 with 1123 viewsWarwickHunt

Does Brexit die tonight? on 09:28 - Sep 7 by Kilkennyjack

👏

Magnificent!

Watched Soames and Clarke jointly interviewed the other night. Both hugely impressive with more ability and compassion than the entire shitshow of the Cabinet combined.

I never thought I’d see the day when I’d bite your hand off for an old school, One Nation Tory government.
Does Brexit die tonight? on 09:53 - Sep 7 with 1117 viewsbluey_the_blue

Clarke, I'll give you but Soames?

Given his record, he's a fine one to talk about manners. It's amazing how the left has magically turned him into a paragon of virtue.
Does Brexit die tonight? on 10:03 - Sep 7 with 1113 viewsCatullus

Does Brexit die tonight? on 09:02 - Sep 7 by jackrmee

A GE shirley won't be the best way of sorting this out, as people will be forced to vote for someone simply because of their stance on Brexit, rather than what they stand for and what their policies are.

I don't want to have to do that.
I want to vote for the party who I think will help the country according to its manifesto, not be forced to ignore all that side of things and tactically vote for someone else, possibly making them PM, simply to guard whichever outcome on brexit I prefer.

I take your point but we are all out of options, it's a GE or a referendum. Why have a referendum when the politicians pretty much refused to deliver the result of the last one? Either something happens to change the situation or we are stuck in this obscene and ridiculous position.
Way back in the ether of previous brexit chatter I said (not sure if it was on here) that I believe we have too many politicians, where we used to have just Westminster to run the UK now we have the EU, Westminster and three devolved governments. The net result of this massively expensive growth in "representation" is a fall in wages, a decline in services, a rise in crime and the only people significantly better off are the already rich and.....politicians. Westminster and the WAG got massive pay rises, MEP's have around £6,500 per month as well as subsidised shops and they all have gold plated pensions. Ahhh, pensions, you know, those things we pay into all our working lives but are apparently, these days, a benefit payment. A rod to beat pensioners with. isn't that the way the country has gone though. We rarely get real debate anymore, everyone seems to want to argue and hurl insults at those who disagree with them. Some just wnt to hurl insults at others just because they can, but I digress.
Anyway, I also said if we can't get rid of the EU, I think I'd just as soon get rid of Westminster, give England it's own Parliament and throw full control over to the EU. As long as they had proper elections for the leadership and commission. That means a nominally indepedent Wales inside the EU. Right now it's hard to see how that can possibly be worse than the utter shambles we are forced to witness/live through. Apart from of course, we would lose the 15 billion from Westminster and the English would gain hugely, financially by not having to prop up Wales, Scotland and NI, an EU bonus of some 35 billion per year.
Then the WelshNats get their way, the remainers get their way, the EU get their way and we can reap the benefits, assuming there are any!
Those of us who are pro union and voted leave can sit back and either shut up or shout I told you so, whichever is appropriate. Then in 40/50 years, the now old "young people who had their futures ruined by brexit" can find out what it's like to be told by young people that they are old, thick, ignorant, uneducated, racist, xenophobic, to be called spongers and to be dismissed as pointless and out of touch, possibly to be denied a vote because being old means it won't affect them. What goes around usually comes around.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Does Brexit die tonight? on 10:22 - Sep 7 with 1094 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Does Brexit die tonight? on 10:03 - Sep 7 by Catullus

I take your point but we are all out of options, it's a GE or a referendum. Why have a referendum when the politicians pretty much refused to deliver the result of the last one? Either something happens to change the situation or we are stuck in this obscene and ridiculous position.
Way back in the ether of previous brexit chatter I said (not sure if it was on here) that I believe we have too many politicians, where we used to have just Westminster to run the UK now we have the EU, Westminster and three devolved governments. The net result of this massively expensive growth in "representation" is a fall in wages, a decline in services, a rise in crime and the only people significantly better off are the already rich and.....politicians. Westminster and the WAG got massive pay rises, MEP's have around £6,500 per month as well as subsidised shops and they all have gold plated pensions. Ahhh, pensions, you know, those things we pay into all our working lives but are apparently, these days, a benefit payment. A rod to beat pensioners with. isn't that the way the country has gone though. We rarely get real debate anymore, everyone seems to want to argue and hurl insults at those who disagree with them. Some just wnt to hurl insults at others just because they can, but I digress.
Anyway, I also said if we can't get rid of the EU, I think I'd just as soon get rid of Westminster, give England it's own Parliament and throw full control over to the EU. As long as they had proper elections for the leadership and commission. That means a nominally indepedent Wales inside the EU. Right now it's hard to see how that can possibly be worse than the utter shambles we are forced to witness/live through. Apart from of course, we would lose the 15 billion from Westminster and the English would gain hugely, financially by not having to prop up Wales, Scotland and NI, an EU bonus of some 35 billion per year.
Then the WelshNats get their way, the remainers get their way, the EU get their way and we can reap the benefits, assuming there are any!
Those of us who are pro union and voted leave can sit back and either shut up or shout I told you so, whichever is appropriate. Then in 40/50 years, the now old "young people who had their futures ruined by brexit" can find out what it's like to be told by young people that they are old, thick, ignorant, uneducated, racist, xenophobic, to be called spongers and to be dismissed as pointless and out of touch, possibly to be denied a vote because being old means it won't affect them. What goes around usually comes around.

Devolution was always just a excuse to palm off real political problems to those without the means or the brains to solve them. Cardiff bay is just a money pit and we get nothing out of it.
Get rid of the EU and these laughably called "devolved governments" and let's hold Westminster accountable though our own elected MPs for proper investment in infrastructure ( a decent electrified train service with nice modern rolling stock like they have down the SE), real investment and real job creation.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Does Brexit die tonight? on 10:24 - Sep 7 with 1090 viewsWarwickHunt

Does Brexit die tonight? on 09:53 - Sep 7 by bluey_the_blue

Given his record, he's a fine one to talk about manners. It's amazing how the left has magically turned him into a paragon of virtue.

Probably says more about the the current rabid state of the Tory party than anything else.

Always thought he was a standard backbench toff before I saw the interview. Perhaps basic decency and the ability to string a coherent sentence together without lying through your teeth has made him stand out...
Does Brexit die tonight? on 10:31 - Sep 7 with 1079 viewsCatullus

Does Brexit die tonight? on 10:22 - Sep 7 by Brynmill_Jack

Devolution was always just a excuse to palm off real political problems to those without the means or the brains to solve them. Cardiff bay is just a money pit and we get nothing out of it.
Get rid of the EU and these laughably called "devolved governments" and let's hold Westminster accountable though our own elected MPs for proper investment in infrastructure ( a decent electrified train service with nice modern rolling stock like they have down the SE), real investment and real job creation.

Did you mean "Devolution was always just a excuse to palm off real political problems from those without the will, desire or brains to solve them to those without the means or the brains to solve them"
Westminster/the government has no real interest in helping Wales betyond not wanting to be the government responsible for breaking up the union. It's an oddity to me because England would be much better off financially as a "sole trader" and they'd have fewer political problems too. No Irish question for example.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Does Brexit die tonight? on 10:36 - Sep 7 with 1066 viewsperchrockjack

Phil.
Whether some like it or not,old school like Soames had a sense of duty to the country and had personal integrity. The fact some disagreed with their politics or not relevant.

Johnson is almost single handedly destroying democracy whatever lies he markets.

What we should have had is a politician with the guts to admit the public were duped over that referendum ,a Cameron ploy, and simply rip it up ,just what Johnson is planning to do as regards the no deal law.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Does Brexit die tonight? on 10:49 - Sep 7 with 1049 viewsmonmouth

The latest from The Arsehole (or rather the Crap Svengali - our real PM) is that he may break the law and not ask for an extension.

How transparent is that in terms of trying to find any way to pretend no deal is still possible to 'pressure' the EU into saving his skin. "Wah Wah, I'll kill myself if you don't do what is best for me. and keep me as 'king of the world'"

He knows he is totally f*cked. It's getting delicious to watch.

If only it wasn't our country.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2019 10:50]

Does Brexit die tonight? on 10:52 - Sep 7 with 1044 viewsyescomeon

Does Brexit die tonight? on 09:53 - Sep 7 by bluey_the_blue

It's like that thing from mean girls where the girls have an ugly friend to make them seem better looking...

... The current government is so rancid you look/listen to him and think "hmm... Maybe"

Upthecity!

Does Brexit die tonight? on 10:56 - Sep 7 with 1036 viewsbluey_the_blue

Labour's policy on Brexit explained.

Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:02 - Sep 7 with 1025 viewsmonmouth

Does Brexit die tonight? on 10:56 - Sep 7 by bluey_the_blue

Labour's policy on Brexit explained.

I detest Corbyn, and most of his front bench, but what a load of w*nk that is from a smug lump of shit that would benefit from being punched to within an inch of his life.

You are desperate now Bluey. It is the Tory turds that have f*cked this up from start to finish. No amount of deflection, whattaboutery or dissembling will change that.

Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:06 - Sep 7 with 1018 viewsbluey_the_blue

Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:02 - Sep 7 by monmouth

I detest Corbyn, and most of his front bench, but what a load of w*nk that is from a smug lump of shit that would benefit from being punched to within an inch of his life.

You are desperate now Bluey. It is the Tory turds that have f*cked this up from start to finish. No amount of deflection, whattaboutery or dissembling will change that.

Hardly desperate.

I'm pointing out gross fvckwittery is across all sections of politics at the moment.

Urging violence on someone for opinons? Why you far right thug!
Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:13 - Sep 7 with 1013 viewsWingstandwood

Does Brexit die tonight? on 10:22 - Sep 7 by Brynmill_Jack

Sadly Wales has transport infrastructure that belongs to a time when a price of a pint was 1/6d (7.5p) and when Austin Cambridge cars were being started by means of a crank handle. Decline is what ITV Wales This Week reported. Westminster starved and ignored for over fifty years under both Tories and Labour.

And onto Cardiff, the money pit, and the Welsh Assembly.....The fact that a renowned clinician/professor and Swansea/SW Wales regional head of cancer service(s) selflessly resigned in protest because of the lack of desperately needed medical equipment said it all. He put his patients first at a time when Cardiff was wasting tens upon tens of million on superfluous vanity projects e.g. opera house in Cardiff Bay etc, Swansea was being ignored with the utmost contempt by Welsh Labour.

Think? What does it say about the standard of Welsh politicians and government when stuff like that happens. Makes any rational person shudder!

Argus!

Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:17 - Sep 7 with 1007 viewsCatullus

Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:02 - Sep 7 by monmouth

That's not really true. Of the constituencies that voted leave, over 400 Mp's from all parties have been fighting against brexit. They all stood on the promise of honouring the result. The government have made a real mess of it but they were aided and abetted by many Mp's from other parties.
Strangely, the only cross party cooperation has been to try and stop no deal brexit. There was no cross party cooperation to try and get a fair deal and that was part of the rpoblem. The EU knew we were a divided country on the issue and played a good game, in football terms it was like us at Man City when we had given up from the starting whistle and allowed them 83% possession. We surrendered before the talks had even started, we even suggested the backstop!

Your first sentence.....100%. I'd rather Groucho Marx was PM.

Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:19 - Sep 7 with 1005 viewsmonmouth

Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:06 - Sep 7 by bluey_the_blue

Hardly desperate.

I'm pointing out gross fvckwittery is across all sections of politics at the moment.

Urging violence on someone for opinons? Why you far right thug!

Nope. Urging violence against his smug punchable self satisfied chops. I felt the same about Clegg, and Blair. And Tebbitt and Kinnock come to that.

Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:32 - Sep 7 with 985 viewsCatullus

Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:13 - Sep 7 by Wingstandwood

Sadly Wales has transport infrastructure that belongs to a time when a price of a pint was 1/6d (7.5p) and when Austin Cambridge cars were being started by means of a crank handle. Decline is what ITV Wales This Week reported. Westminster starved and ignored for over fifty years under both Tories and Labour.

And onto Cardiff, the money pit, and the Welsh Assembly.....The fact that a renowned clinician/professor and Swansea/SW Wales regional head of cancer service(s) selflessly resigned in protest because of the lack of desperately needed medical equipment said it all. He put his patients first at a time when Cardiff was wasting tens upon tens of million on superfluous vanity projects e.g. opera house in Cardiff Bay etc, Swansea was being ignored with the utmost contempt by Welsh Labour.

Think? What does it say about the standard of Welsh politicians and government when stuff like that happens. Makes any rational person shudder!

And yet the WelshNats would have us independent and give the Senedd full control of a vastly smaller budget. The lights really would go out. People think they are poor now. Westminster is managing to make the Senedd look fairly good, not an easy task.

Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:51 - Sep 7 with 975 viewsWingstandwood

Does Brexit die tonight? on 11:32 - Sep 7 by Catullus

And yet the WelshNats would have us independent and give the Senedd full control of a vastly smaller budget. The lights really would go out. People think they are poor now. Westminster is managing to make the Senedd look fairly good, not an easy task.

What has happened to this part of the world is extremely significant regarding attitudes of 'the mainstream'.

The Tories blatantly ignoring (maybe even punishing?) these parts because of 'traditional' and 'tribal' loyalties to Labour.....And Labour itself having no necessity or motivation whatsoever to please the SW Wales electorate because many would vote for the party anyhow....Green light stuff to continue to pursue a more than obvious "keep them poor, keep them voting Labour" strategy.

Have you noticed (*cough, cough, cough*) the deprivation, poverty and despair that still exists in die-hard Labour areas, despite Labour being re-elected again and again and again after that?

And another thing i.e. the third-sector 'jobs-for-the-boys' shoe-in's and patronage that exists because of poverty? Poverty why alleviate it? A good few parasites would lose an easy buck!

Argus!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024