Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This alternative table garbage 19:55 - Sep 3 with 11264 viewsbluenile

Don't know if anyone else read that alternative table article? Apparently based on where they thought every team was expected to be, not where they actually are, after 6 games. And I couldn't bring myself to look at the bit about "Swansea, papering over the cracks?" . . . . . . . . Christ on a bike!

Open the ipod bay doors Hal

This alternative table garbage on 21:56 - Sep 5 with 1591 viewsDr_Winston

This alternative table garbage on 21:53 - Sep 5 by Professor

And one of the reasons we love the game. The unpredictable, the mercurial. Sadly being hammered out of rugby.

As players get bigger and stronger Rugby has gone the way of American football. A dull battle over yards on a pitch with occasionally free flowing bits. It was never a particularly exciting game before but it's stultifying now.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

This alternative table garbage on 22:14 - Sep 5 with 1560 viewsJackSomething

This alternative table garbage on 21:56 - Sep 5 by Dr_Winston

As players get bigger and stronger Rugby has gone the way of American football. A dull battle over yards on a pitch with occasionally free flowing bits. It was never a particularly exciting game before but it's stultifying now.

As a long-time lover of both sports, I will argue all night long that NFL games are far more exciting than modern rugby internationals.

You don't see things like a Mahomes no-look pass or an OBJ one handed catch over his head in rugby, those days are gone.

The problem with American football is the ease of entry into the sport. It's not exactly something you can turn on and understand in 5 minutes. The length of matches and time difference also don't help.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

This alternative table garbage on 22:32 - Sep 5 with 1564 viewsDr_Winston

This alternative table garbage on 22:14 - Sep 5 by JackSomething

As a long-time lover of both sports, I will argue all night long that NFL games are far more exciting than modern rugby internationals.

You don't see things like a Mahomes no-look pass or an OBJ one handed catch over his head in rugby, those days are gone.

The problem with American football is the ease of entry into the sport. It's not exactly something you can turn on and understand in 5 minutes. The length of matches and time difference also don't help.

It's all a bit choreographed for my liking.

One of the weird ways you can tell is by filming it. You can make movies about a lot of sports and it still looks genuine. Whereas all attempts to make a movie about football have been shit. No matter what they do it never, ever looks convincing.

Escape to Victory was as close as they got.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

This alternative table garbage on 23:05 - Sep 5 with 1556 viewsploppy

The other part to Moneyball (haven't seen the film but have read the book) was that Beane analysed which stats were actually important i.e which ones had a bearing on the result. Some of the stats that had traditionally been used by "old schoolers" turned out not to have a bearing at all. So, Beane's goal was to find undervalued players based on the stats that actually mattered. Again, much easier to do that in baseball than football, I'd argue.
This alternative table garbage on 23:17 - Sep 5 with 1543 viewsTummer_from_Texas

This alternative table garbage on 23:05 - Sep 5 by ploppy

The other part to Moneyball (haven't seen the film but have read the book) was that Beane analysed which stats were actually important i.e which ones had a bearing on the result. Some of the stats that had traditionally been used by "old schoolers" turned out not to have a bearing at all. So, Beane's goal was to find undervalued players based on the stats that actually mattered. Again, much easier to do that in baseball than football, I'd argue.

The key thing Beane apparently focused on was on-base average as opposed to batting average. Something I argued for going all the way back to when I was a kid playing little league baseball.

Baseball offensive stats focus way too much of batting average, but you rarely see a player's on-base average listed or discussed. Like Brad Pitt (Beane) said in the movie, "He gets on base a lot. What do I care if it's a walk or a hit?"

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

This alternative table garbage on 11:39 - Sep 6 with 1435 viewsNotLoyal

It's strange because I did an alternative league table and Forest Green are top based on the fact that Iron Maiden have never played in the FA cup.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

This alternative table garbage on 11:41 - Sep 6 with 1434 viewsjasper_T

Stats are rubbish, aye.
This alternative table garbage on 11:46 - Sep 6 with 1421 viewsCatullus

This alternative table garbage on 21:25 - Sep 3 by Vincent_Vega

The biggest load of tosh I’ve read that’s not come from wales Online. Utter cr@p

Walesonline had 2 stories yesterday, one about a table based on the average percentage you filled your stadium and one with a table of results purely from 2019, both a complete waste of time.
Our stadium is 76% full on average which ranks us higher than Cardiff on 69% but it's entirely meaningless, wouldn't we prefer to be getting 22,000 in a bigger stadium?
As for the other, it had only 18 teams because they had to remove the promoted and relegated sides, most teams had undergone big changes anyway.
They have scraped the bottom of the barrel (for stories) so much, they've dug a hole big enough to bury a football stadium in!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Login to get fewer ads

This alternative table garbage on 13:46 - Sep 6 with 1395 viewsCaptain_Sham

This alternative table garbage on 11:41 - Sep 6 by jasper_T

Stats are rubbish, aye.

Wow that's an impressive looking website....

Its just a ride.

This alternative table garbage on 10:41 - Dec 9 with 1228 viewshobo

Seems that these XG stats weren't so 'garbage' after all
This alternative table garbage on 10:53 - Dec 9 with 1211 viewsChief

This alternative table garbage on 10:41 - Dec 9 by hobo

In fact in hindsight it couldn't be more accurate. Papering over the cracks is exactly what we were doing.

I had hoped that the confidence from winning back then would produce better performances. Sadly it's gone the other way. The goals have dried up and the defence is leaky.

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

This alternative table garbage on 01:59 - Dec 14 with 1135 viewsjasper_T

This alternative table garbage on 10:41 - Dec 9 by hobo

I'm shocked.
This alternative table garbage on 11:47 - Dec 14 with 1042 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

This alternative table garbage on 01:59 - Dec 14 by jasper_T

I'm shocked.

Welcome back. You missed a couple of great months watching the usual crowd defend Cooper and how we were playing simply because we were lingering towards the top of the table.

You're just in time to see them remove their heads from the sand and realise they may have been wrong.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024