Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Palace Theatre is on fire 20:35 - Sep 8 with 7159 viewsLandore_Jack

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/live-updates-swanseas-palace-theat

#backtojack

Palace Theatre is on fire on 22:21 - Sep 8 with 1816 viewsjackrmee

Do it up mun

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Palace Theatre is on fire on 22:56 - Sep 8 with 1770 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Palace Theatre is on fire on 22:10 - Sep 8 by Dr_Winston

Refurbished at whose expense? Used for what? With what subsidy?

Nobody has made a go of the place for decades. It's a useless building.

The arena is being built for free then?

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Palace Theatre is on fire on 23:45 - Sep 8 with 1744 viewsHighjack

Palace Theatre is on fire on 22:09 - Sep 8 by Fireboy2

Four different ones as well🤔

It’s just unlucky. No fires for years then four come along at once.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Palace Theatre is on fire on 00:11 - Sep 9 with 1735 viewsJack_Meoff

Palace Theatre is on fire on 21:51 - Sep 8 by Brynmill_Jack

Larry Silverstein hasn’t bought it and insured it (for 3.5 billion) has he?

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Palace Theatre is on fire on 06:06 - Sep 9 with 1662 viewswaynekerr55

Palace Theatre is on fire on 21:51 - Sep 8 by Brynmill_Jack

Larry Silverstein hasn’t bought it and insured it (for 3.5 billion) has he?

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Palace Theatre is on fire on 06:14 - Sep 9 with 1652 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Palace Theatre is on fire on 06:06 - Sep 9 by waynekerr55

I know Wayne. It was a massive coincidence.

Palace Theatre is on fire on 07:01 - Sep 9 with 1641 viewsDr_Winston

Palace Theatre is on fire on 22:56 - Sep 8 by Brynmill_Jack

The arena is being built for free then?

What does the arena have to do with anything?

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Palace Theatre is on fire on 07:48 - Sep 9 with 1607 viewswaynekerr55

Palace Theatre is on fire on 06:14 - Sep 9 by Brynmill_Jack

I know Wayne. It was a massive coincidence.

I did have a chuckle at the Silverstein line though, fair play!

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Login to get fewer ads

Palace Theatre is on fire on 08:30 - Sep 9 with 1564 viewscontroversial_jack

Palace Theatre is on fire on 22:13 - Sep 8 by jack2jack

Have you wondered around SA1 or through town and glanced at some of the god damnit awful edifices they've erected, hardly becoming of a once beautifull town, or one our future generations are going to be proud of.
Half the new builds won't last 50 years before they will be condemned and flattened.
I'm staggered that our heritage is not being preserved.

Swansea has never been beautiful.Special to those who live there, but never beautiful
Palace Theatre is on fire on 09:20 - Sep 9 with 1534 viewsperchrockjack

This rather majestic building was always going to be destroyed at one stage.

Plaza cinema another classic.

You don't know what you ve got till it's gone

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Palace Theatre is on fire on 09:35 - Sep 9 with 1521 viewsgadgetuk

Because of its location, the palace theatre was always going to struggle as a venue of any kind due to a lack of footfall in the area. But with the sheer number of student accommodation that is going into the area it may have a chance. It's an ideal type of building for wetherspoons to take on, similar to the prince of wales in Cardiff.

Failing that, I can see someone converting it into accomodation, keeping the facade whilst ripping out the inside completely.
Palace Theatre is on fire on 09:36 - Sep 9 with 1520 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Palace Theatre is on fire on 07:01 - Sep 9 by Dr_Winston

What does the arena have to do with anything?

I suppose, reading between the lines I was saying that no money could be found to renovate the Palace , (which could have been a good venue for the types of smaller groups which we could attract here) but plenty for an arena we’re unlikely to fill given the competition of the Motorpoint and the Opera house in Cardiff. That’s all.

Palace Theatre is on fire on 09:38 - Sep 9 with 1515 viewsdickythorpe

It survived the Luftwaffe but couldn't survive the neglect shown by its own.
Palace Theatre is on fire on 09:40 - Sep 9 with 1511 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Palace Theatre is on fire on 08:30 - Sep 9 by controversial_jack

Swansea has never been beautiful.Special to those who live there, but never beautiful

If you look at the old pre war photos of the architecture throughout Swansea you may disagree. The horrible buildings that went up after make the place look sh*t in places.

Palace Theatre is on fire on 09:44 - Sep 9 with 1506 viewsLeonWasGod

Palace Theatre is on fire on 09:40 - Sep 9 by Brynmill_Jack

If you look at the old pre war photos of the architecture throughout Swansea you may disagree. The horrible buildings that went up after make the place look sh*t in places.

This. The old Palace is one of the few surviving gems up that part of town (not that it looks too good now mind, but a lot better than a run down 1960s prefab).
Palace Theatre is on fire on 09:45 - Sep 9 with 1499 viewsperchrockjack

CJ. I have stated that and got pelters.It was a large industrial town.They are always ugly.But it's home and in your soul until you die.

However,Swansea had beautiful buildings which the council has destroyed.

The Palace is the dying hulk of a once proud,dearly loved town.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Palace Theatre is on fire on 10:25 - Sep 9 with 1461 viewsDdraigGoch

Swansea was once feted as one of the prettiest Victorian towns in the country. The Luftwaffe put paid to that and Swansea council have just about finished the job. No foresight whatsoever.
Palace Theatre is on fire on 10:36 - Sep 9 with 1438 viewsProfessor

Palace Theatre is on fire on 09:40 - Sep 9 by Brynmill_Jack

Yes- same horrible buildings that blight Coventry, Plymouth and parts of Liverpool-same cause and same 50s horrors. Liverpool was lucky that the Three Graces and St George's hall were largely undamaged and the area that is now the financial district and the Strand retain most of the prewar buildings that give a very American vibe. Swansea was less fortunate.
Palace Theatre is on fire on 10:49 - Sep 9 with 1430 viewsThrasher6

Palace Theatre is on fire on 10:36 - Sep 9 by Professor

Yes- same horrible buildings that blight Coventry, Plymouth and parts of Liverpool-same cause and same 50s horrors. Liverpool was lucky that the Three Graces and St George's hall were largely undamaged and the area that is now the financial district and the Strand retain most of the prewar buildings that give a very American vibe. Swansea was less fortunate.

"Failing that, I can see someone converting it into accomodation, keeping the facade whilst ripping out the inside completely."

There'll be some funny shaped rooms.....

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Palace Theatre is on fire on 10:54 - Sep 9 with 1427 viewstheloneranger

Palace Theatre is on fire on 09:36 - Sep 9 by Brynmill_Jack

I suppose, reading between the lines I was saying that no money could be found to renovate the Palace , (which could have been a good venue for the types of smaller groups which we could attract here) but plenty for an arena we’re unlikely to fill given the competition of the Motorpoint and the Opera house in Cardiff. That’s all.

The Palace is privately owned by the "SWANSEA PALACE THEATRE COMPANY LTD". Even though I have no time for Swansea City council, they did basically give £75K to this company in 2015 to help to make the building watertight and secure. Since then the company has done fvck all.

The same thing is happening with the old Elysium Cinema (Theatre) building, which is privately owned by someone from Townhill.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Palace Theatre is on fire on 11:04 - Sep 9 with 1413 viewsgadgetuk

Palace Theatre is on fire on 10:54 - Sep 9 by theloneranger

The Palace is privately owned by the "SWANSEA PALACE THEATRE COMPANY LTD". Even though I have no time for Swansea City council, they did basically give £75K to this company in 2015 to help to make the building watertight and secure. Since then the company has done fvck all.

The same thing is happening with the old Elysium Cinema (Theatre) building, which is privately owned by someone from Townhill.

I suspect at some point Coastal Housing (or similar) will make an offer to buy the Elysium with a plan to demolish everything apart from the facade. Looking on google maps that building covers a lot of land and would be an ideal candidate for housing.
Palace Theatre is on fire on 11:14 - Sep 9 with 1399 viewsHighjack

It’s a shame to see all these derelict theatres and cinemas but they are relics of a bygone age. Tv and the internet have delivered the hammerstroke. You only have to look at some of the shyte being served up at the Grand (which is also a lovely theatre btw) and it’s no wonder people would rather stay in and watch Netflix.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Palace Theatre is on fire on 11:35 - Sep 9 with 1382 viewsProfessor

Palace Theatre is on fire on 11:14 - Sep 9 by Highjack

It’s a shame to see all these derelict theatres and cinemas but they are relics of a bygone age. Tv and the internet have delivered the hammerstroke. You only have to look at some of the shyte being served up at the Grand (which is also a lovely theatre btw) and it’s no wonder people would rather stay in and watch Netflix.

Cinema has just moved on to multiplex sites- more choice in smaller auditoriums. Certainly the three I go to are pretty busy-especially Vue with £5 entry. It is still a contrast with Rhondda Cynon Taff who maintain the excellent Parc & Dare in Treorchy and Colliseum in Aberdare as working theatres and cinemas.
Palace Theatre is on fire on 21:57 - Sep 9 with 1228 viewsPrivate_Partz

Palace Theatre is on fire on 10:54 - Sep 9 by theloneranger

We have major problems in Swansea.
We are building arenas and converting unsuitable buildings to theatres and letting the purpose built ones rot.
The Palace, The Elysium and the Albert Hall being prime examples. Add to this the state of the Slip Bridge. It would not happen in Cardiff.
Thank god Mumbles Pier is under refurb.
Looks like the Palace had a few small fires in it bit remains in tact. It is so sad to see such a lovely building going to rot.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Palace Theatre is on fire on 22:06 - Sep 9 with 1216 viewstheloneranger

Palace Theatre is on fire on 21:57 - Sep 9 by Private_Partz

We have major problems in Swansea.
We are building arenas and converting unsuitable buildings to theatres and letting the purpose built ones rot.
The Palace, The Elysium and the Albert Hall being prime examples. Add to this the state of the Slip Bridge. It would not happen in Cardiff.
Thank god Mumbles Pier is under refurb.
Looks like the Palace had a few small fires in it bit remains in tact. It is so sad to see such a lovely building going to rot.

The Albert Hall is another historic building in private hands, which the council has spent over £10K making safe.

The owners are open to offers of around £800K to take it off their hands.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024