Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover 21:40 - Sep 10 with 7848 viewsCooperman

New cameras have gone up in the last week on the stretch of M4 between PT and the BF flyover.

No idea if they are live but there’s an absence of ‘camera not in use’ signs.

You’ve been warned.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover on 21:44 - Sep 10 with 6002 viewsVincent_Vega

Cheers for the heads up.

On a related note can someone explain to me how reducing the speed limit to 50mph to combat pollution will make one iota of difference with a whopping great steel works pumping allsorts out or am I missing the point?

Boycott Shampoo......Demand Real Poo!!!

Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover on 21:53 - Sep 10 with 5974 viewsbluey_the_blue

Long time since I had to commute to Swansea, but had to the last week or so.

I can see why those cameras have gone up, it really doesn't feel that safe in places.
Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover on 21:58 - Sep 10 with 5940 viewsDarran

Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover on 21:53 - Sep 10 by bluey_the_blue

Long time since I had to commute to Swansea, but had to the last week or so.

I can see why those cameras have gone up, it really doesn't feel that safe in places.

Nonsense. Utter fuçking nonsense. There’s no need for the stretch to be 50mph it’s just another money making exercise.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover on 21:58 - Sep 10 with 5949 viewsWingstandwood

Another extra warning.

There is now a speed camera van operating in Gorseinon on Heol Y Mynydd road/hill in a new second location on the same side as Toyoda Gosei factory.

My sister had a speeding ticket there last month. It only used to be located on the factory-side layby as you emerge from the bend on the uphill drive towards the junction/mini-roundabout.

It is now being situated higher up in a second location i.e. roadside layby on the same side as the factory. It is now there at night times also i.e. night vision photography capable.

Argus!

Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover on 22:00 - Sep 10 with 5934 viewsbluey_the_blue

Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover on 21:58 - Sep 10 by Darran

Nonsense. Utter fuçking nonsense. There’s no need for the stretch to be 50mph it’s just another money making exercise.

Certainly going back there's one spot where there's a solid wall that makes traffic joining the motorway very difficult to spot. Be amazed if there aren't a good few bumps as a result.
Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover on 22:00 - Sep 10 with 5916 viewsDarran

Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover on 21:58 - Sep 10 by Wingstandwood

Another extra warning.

There is now a speed camera van operating in Gorseinon on Heol Y Mynydd road/hill in a new second location on the same side as Toyoda Gosei factory.

My sister had a speeding ticket there last month. It only used to be located on the factory-side layby as you emerge from the bend on the uphill drive towards the junction/mini-roundabout.

It is now being situated higher up in a second location i.e. roadside layby on the same side as the factory. It is now there at night times also i.e. night vision photography capable.

They’ve got a parking van in Neath. It’ll do you if you’re just dropping someone off. Money making that’s all it is.

Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover on 22:01 - Sep 10 with 5911 viewsDarran

Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover on 22:00 - Sep 10 by bluey_the_blue

Certainly going back there's one spot where there's a solid wall that makes traffic joining the motorway very difficult to spot. Be amazed if there aren't a good few bumps as a result.

Rubbish learn to drive properly.

Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover on 22:03 - Sep 10 with 5913 viewsbluey_the_blue

Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover on 22:01 - Sep 10 by Darran

Rubbish learn to drive properly.

You can only control your own driving.

Had a car written off because despite having been stopped at traffic lights behind a queue of cars some muppet went straight into the back of me; he was coming off A470, couldn't see the stopped traffic.

He was a bloody Jack too, to make it worse.
Login to get fewer ads

Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover on 22:04 - Sep 10 with 5912 viewsmajorraglan

Have an up arrow.
I can understand the elevated section over Port Talbot being 50 between the Baglan slip roads and Taibach, but there’s no need for 50 between Baglan and the end of the elevated section near the Ferryboat.

I went to the football in Cardiff last Friday and west bound traffic was bumper to bumper slow moving traffic all the way from Pont Abraham to Margam. Mental
Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover on 22:06 - Sep 10 with 5887 viewsDarran

Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover on 22:04 - Sep 10 by majorraglan

Have an up arrow.
I can understand the elevated section over Port Talbot being 50 between the Baglan slip roads and Taibach, but there’s no need for 50 between Baglan and the end of the elevated section near the Ferryboat.

I went to the football in Cardiff last Friday and west bound traffic was bumper to bumper slow moving traffic all the way from Pont Abraham to Margam. Mental

It’s ridiculous my friend.

Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover on 22:08 - Sep 10 with 5891 viewsWingstandwood

Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover on 22:00 - Sep 10 by Darran

They’ve got a parking van in Neath. It’ll do you if you’re just dropping someone off. Money making that’s all it is.

It's all revenue raising, even Richard Littlejohn called them 'jury-nobblers' cause he reckoned they turned the public against the police.

The one on the hill in Gorseinon is definitely a revenue raiser. The steep climb gives a false impression of slower speed, also it looks like a fast stretch of road where you're allowed to put your foot down.

They've moved it higher up to a second location closer to the mini-roundabout because people wised up and started to flash other oncoming drivers.

Argus!

Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover on 22:10 - Sep 10 with 5884 viewscontroversial_jack

If it's to limit pollution, there's hardly anyone living near that stretch of motorway. It's a revenue making scheme
Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover on 22:19 - Sep 10 with 5844 viewsWxmJax

Gone up by Wrexham on A483 bypass as well after a period of just having a trial 50mph zone. People were going anywhere between 50 and 80. Asked Lesley Griffiths for stats to show air quality readings and how air quality had improved but never heard anything. Strange that.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover on 05:41 - Sep 11 with 5692 viewssquarebear

Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover on 22:10 - Sep 10 by controversial_jack

If it's to limit pollution, there's hardly anyone living near that stretch of motorway. It's a revenue making scheme

I don't see it specifically as a money maker because (in my experience) drivers adhere to the average speed limit.

I feel it was simply a political gesture by the WAG as if to say "look, people in PT are complaining about pollution. Well watch us do something*"

*something that won't tangibly jeopardise Tata operations.

The restrictions make exiting at J42 that much hairier if there are slow-moving vehicles in the left-hand lane.
[Post edited 11 Sep 2019 5:43]
Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover on 07:37 - Sep 11 with 5598 viewsNeath_Jack

Speed kills, slow down and you won't have to worry about cameras or money making schemes.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover on 07:41 - Sep 11 with 5590 viewsDr_Winston

Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover on 07:37 - Sep 11 by Neath_Jack

Speed kills, slow down and you won't have to worry about cameras or money making schemes.

Inappropriate speed kills. That and bad driving. Perhaps they should be making it harder for bad drivers to get/keep licences than make a stretch of road that was perfectly fine at 70mph for years a 50 zone.

Add Carmarthen Road to that list. Absolutely no reason whatsoever for it to be a 30mph limit.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover on 08:28 - Sep 11 with 5545 viewsCooperman

Is this scheme aimed at combatting speed or pollution?

If as already stated if it’s to do with pollution then why are speed restrictions not in place along other stretches of motorway?

On the flip side if it’s about combatting speed then this is a well lit, junction free straight section of road where I would consider risk of accident to be quite low. The risk mitigation achieved through a 50mph limit might well be offset by the risk of people falling asleep at the wheel as they traverse this section of road at a reduced pace.

There is a 22 mile stretch of 50mph limit between Reading and Slough and I’ve seen multiple instances of lane wandering where drivers are clearly not concentrating on what they are meant to be doing.

Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover on 10:14 - Sep 11 with 5452 viewsAce_Jack

Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover on 22:08 - Sep 10 by Wingstandwood

It's all revenue raising, even Richard Littlejohn called them 'jury-nobblers' cause he reckoned they turned the public against the police.

The one on the hill in Gorseinon is definitely a revenue raiser. The steep climb gives a false impression of slower speed, also it looks like a fast stretch of road where you're allowed to put your foot down.

They've moved it higher up to a second location closer to the mini-roundabout because people wised up and started to flash other oncoming drivers.

Not saying the new spot on the road by toyoda isnt a revenue maker but I've had some close calls on that road in the night. I've had a car coming at me on the wrong side of the road there and I've seen some deadly overtaking from boy racers and total @rseholes.

This was maybe 2/3 years ago but no idea what its like now as I don't live in the area anymore.
Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover on 10:23 - Sep 11 with 5438 viewsLuther27

I wish I could reach 30mph on this stretch never mind 50mph. Commuters hell.
Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover on 10:59 - Sep 11 with 5407 viewscontroversial_jack

There's no need for reduced speed here, it's the best road in Wales, straight, fairly level and with a good road surface
Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover on 11:13 - Sep 11 with 5396 viewsLeonWasGod

Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover on 08:28 - Sep 11 by Cooperman

Is this scheme aimed at combatting speed or pollution?

If as already stated if it’s to do with pollution then why are speed restrictions not in place along other stretches of motorway?

On the flip side if it’s about combatting speed then this is a well lit, junction free straight section of road where I would consider risk of accident to be quite low. The risk mitigation achieved through a 50mph limit might well be offset by the risk of people falling asleep at the wheel as they traverse this section of road at a reduced pace.

There is a 22 mile stretch of 50mph limit between Reading and Slough and I’ve seen multiple instances of lane wandering where drivers are clearly not concentrating on what they are meant to be doing.

Localised air pollution issue (apparently). I suppose we'd need to see the actual monitoring data to know what the scale of the issue is. It'd also be interesting to see how much is a M4 problem versus anything coming from other roads or the steel works (as someone else have mentioned).

Edit - a bit of background here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48723302
[Post edited 11 Sep 2019 11:15]
Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover on 11:26 - Sep 11 with 5375 viewsCooperman

I am slowly but surely getting into the habit of using the train when I’m heading east alone.

Swansea to London return can be achieved for £60 if planned correctly and the GWR service is a pretty good standard (please don’t confuse my comment with local services which is a different matter altogether). Journey time also comparable at three hours with the added bonus of Wi-fi and a more relaxing journey. Admittedly it’s not necessarily cost effective when travelling with company.

Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover on 11:37 - Sep 11 with 5358 viewsWingstandwood

Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover on 10:14 - Sep 11 by Ace_Jack

Not saying the new spot on the road by toyoda isnt a revenue maker but I've had some close calls on that road in the night. I've had a car coming at me on the wrong side of the road there and I've seen some deadly overtaking from boy racers and total @rseholes.

This was maybe 2/3 years ago but no idea what its like now as I don't live in the area anymore.

The main problem with that stretch of road is the fact that many are not aware that its only 30 mph, many people think its 40mph... and the fact the uphill climb gives an illusion of far lesser speed. Also there is inadequate signage i.e. there is a mini sign on a lamppost on the approach that can and is easily missed. A larger speed sign (and more of) is required.

Also....If there was one of those L.E.D signs that shows the speed a driver is travelling at, of type you tend to see on the approach to schools and (3/4 a mile away) Grovesend to Pontardulais stretch people would be made even more aware. But I suggest that will not happen because the revenue raising cash till is ringing nicely.

Argus!

Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover on 13:47 - Sep 11 with 5256 viewsAce_Jack

Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover on 11:37 - Sep 11 by Wingstandwood

The main problem with that stretch of road is the fact that many are not aware that its only 30 mph, many people think its 40mph... and the fact the uphill climb gives an illusion of far lesser speed. Also there is inadequate signage i.e. there is a mini sign on a lamppost on the approach that can and is easily missed. A larger speed sign (and more of) is required.

Also....If there was one of those L.E.D signs that shows the speed a driver is travelling at, of type you tend to see on the approach to schools and (3/4 a mile away) Grovesend to Pontardulais stretch people would be made even more aware. But I suggest that will not happen because the revenue raising cash till is ringing nicely.

I'm sure there used to be a flashing warning sign on the road. Almost certain. Has it been removed?
Average speed cameras - PT to B.Ferry flyover on 13:55 - Sep 11 with 5249 viewsHighjack

You can barely get up to twenty on that stretch for most of the day. If it is a money making exercise they won’t get much. Although I imagine they probably catch a few at night.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024