Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Car Insurance Rip Off.. 12:46 - Sep 11 with 2997 viewsBrynCartwright

My old Dad (85) had his car insurance renewal documents through from RIAS, (also known as Aegeas) a few days back informing him the policy was increasing from £744.28 to £1002.43 a year. He only uses his car once or twice a week to go to Tesco or to see his sister in the Hendy. He has 9+ years no claims bonus. They want him to pay £83 a month.

Wish I'd known last year they were ripping him off.

Just had him switched to Direct Line with the same policy and excess for £275.52.

It is absolutely bonkers how insurance companies get away with ripping off their loyal, mostly elderly, customers who are less likely to shop around.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Car Insurance Rip Off.. on 12:57 - Sep 11 with 2649 viewsbuilthjack

You have to ring around. Or tell your insurer that you have rung around or internet. They drop it hugely every time. They make their money from the ones who just let it be renewed without question.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Car Insurance Rip Off.. on 13:10 - Sep 11 with 2629 viewsdickythorpe

My sympathies Bryn, my old man is 78 and I blew a fuse with Aviva a few years back when they quoted him £800+
" I suppose it's good value for my age" , he said.

10 mins later after being on the web I got it down to under £230 with Tesco

Bastards preying on the elderly!!!!!
Car Insurance Rip Off.. on 14:00 - Sep 11 with 2553 viewsFlashberryjack

Car Insurance Rip Off.. on 13:10 - Sep 11 by dickythorpe

My sympathies Bryn, my old man is 78 and I blew a fuse with Aviva a few years back when they quoted him £800+
" I suppose it's good value for my age" , he said.

10 mins later after being on the web I got it down to under £230 with Tesco

Bastards preying on the elderly!!!!!

Loyalty doesn't pay anymore that's for sure, I change my car/house insurance every year now.

I Never could understand why my car insurer was puting the premium up when I haven't made a claim, and the actual value of my car has depreciated.

Over the last few years I've left and gone back with the AA, RAC, Tesco, Churchill, Hastings Direct and Admiral, every single one had risen their premium after the first years insurance, I leave them for 2 years then ask for a quote and very often it's cheaper now than what it was when I was with them originally.

It must pay them to increase prices and lose a few customers, and have customers that automatically renew.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Car Insurance Rip Off.. on 14:42 - Sep 11 with 2522 viewsFireboy2

Car Insurance Rip Off.. on 14:00 - Sep 11 by Flashberryjack

Loyalty doesn't pay anymore that's for sure, I change my car/house insurance every year now.

I Never could understand why my car insurer was puting the premium up when I haven't made a claim, and the actual value of my car has depreciated.

Over the last few years I've left and gone back with the AA, RAC, Tesco, Churchill, Hastings Direct and Admiral, every single one had risen their premium after the first years insurance, I leave them for 2 years then ask for a quote and very often it's cheaper now than what it was when I was with them originally.

It must pay them to increase prices and lose a few customers, and have customers that automatically renew.

Same here flash, house, car and energy renewed with a different insurer every year, fvck em the robbing b@srards.
Car Insurance Rip Off.. on 19:49 - Sep 11 with 2383 viewsJFSwan

They pray on the lazy. Automatic renewal is the easy option for some, all be it vastly extortionate
Car Insurance Rip Off.. on 19:51 - Sep 11 with 2375 viewsperchrockjack

My dad drove until he was 90 until I visited and checked his insurance certificate ,as you do.

What he showed me expired 3 yrs ago and he had no idea. I pursuaded him after about 5 yrs there was no need to run a car to go to Chapel twice a week and once a week to Aldi.

GET HIM OFF THE ROADS.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Car Insurance Rip Off.. on 20:10 - Sep 11 with 2364 viewsdickythorpe

Car Insurance Rip Off.. on 19:51 - Sep 11 by perchrockjack

My dad drove until he was 90 until I visited and checked his insurance certificate ,as you do.

What he showed me expired 3 yrs ago and he had no idea. I pursuaded him after about 5 yrs there was no need to run a car to go to Chapel twice a week and once a week to Aldi.

GET HIM OFF THE ROADS.

Car Insurance Rip Off.. on 20:15 - Sep 11 with 2348 viewsperchrockjack

But a serious point

Login to get fewer ads

Car Insurance Rip Off.. on 21:28 - Sep 11 with 2295 viewsCooperman

Sorry to hear that Bryn and Dicky.

One of the things that gets me most annoyed in our rotten world is exploitation of the unwary and vulnerable. I’m quite a clam bloke but matters like this really boil my pi55.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Car Insurance Rip Off.. on 21:55 - Sep 11 with 2258 viewsjedmo_jack

Insurance is adjusted and increased incrementally in line with inflation each year.

Got to shop around.
Car Insurance Rip Off.. on 23:53 - Sep 11 with 2166 viewsbakajack

I used to work for both Virgin Media and BT and in both cases would get pulled up for taking elderly customers who were on shockingly bad packages and giving them something more suitable.

One example I had an elderly lady who didn't have a mobile, her only family lived like 100 miles away and she would call them every day on her landline racking up like £100 a month in call charges. I changed her to an unlimited call plan on her phone line (which cost like £8 per month at the time) and the powers that be were not very impressed.

Nothing gets my goat more than exploiting those who simply do not know any better. Perhaps that's why I was never really cut out for sales and retentions.
Car Insurance Rip Off.. on 00:04 - Sep 12 with 2158 viewsDJack

Car Insurance Rip Off.. on 23:53 - Sep 11 by bakajack

I used to work for both Virgin Media and BT and in both cases would get pulled up for taking elderly customers who were on shockingly bad packages and giving them something more suitable.

One example I had an elderly lady who didn't have a mobile, her only family lived like 100 miles away and she would call them every day on her landline racking up like £100 a month in call charges. I changed her to an unlimited call plan on her phone line (which cost like £8 per month at the time) and the powers that be were not very impressed.

Nothing gets my goat more than exploiting those who simply do not know any better. Perhaps that's why I was never really cut out for sales and retentions.

Good on you.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Car Insurance Rip Off.. on 06:15 - Sep 12 with 2085 viewsjackal

I shopped around for my Mum when she was in her late 80's. One quote was £10.500.00.

We settled for L &V for £280.

It was for an old Nissan Micra.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2019 7:41]
Car Insurance Rip Off.. on 09:09 - Sep 12 with 1996 viewsperchrockjack

The biggest issue with my old fella wa fact he d been driving for over 70 yrs and actually didnt take a driving test . He saw it as his independence and that is what you have to crack.

It really is s serious issue as today's roads are not places for a 90 yr old to drive seeing as they are so many tw@ats about

Car Insurance Rip Off.. on 10:17 - Sep 12 with 1951 viewsNotLoyal

Knowingly selling an overpriced policy to a vulnerable person is criminal.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Car Insurance Rip Off.. on 10:40 - Sep 12 with 1934 viewsjedijack

The whole practice of insurance companies trying it on at renewal each year is something that should be looked at in my opinion. Disgusting behaviour.

Not just the elderly at risk of being ripped off. I personally had a lot going on in the second half of last year and missed the renewal date, got stung with £120 onto my previous year premium. That's with 16 years no claims and no change in circumstances. My head was too fk'd to argue with them at the time.

It's quite spooky seeing this thread today as had this years renewal through the post, day before yesterday. I'll be telling them to FO this year out of principle.
Car Insurance Rip Off.. on 10:55 - Sep 12 with 1920 viewsjack247

The introductory premiums on lots of insurance policies are set near break even point. Companies use that figure in comparison with your existing policy to attract you. They then make their profit in subsequent years.

Shopping around every time it’s up for renewal is the way to go of course, but if everybody did that, initial premiums would be driven up.
Car Insurance Rip Off.. on 12:53 - Sep 12 with 1867 viewsbakajack

To be more specific the encouragement was not to recontract them, since elderly people were less likely to change providers and out of contract rates are higher than being in contract. More a case of profit through inaction rather than deliberately selling an overpriced product, a subtle distinction used to legallly drive profit
Car Insurance Rip Off.. on 19:31 - Sep 12 with 1754 viewsGlyn1

They exploit the elderly.

They exploit the young.

They exploit loyal customers.

Thank God for Martin Lewis and other similar people.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/
[Post edited 12 Sep 2019 19:35]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Car Insurance Rip Off.. on 19:33 - Sep 12 with 1752 viewsGlyn1

Car Insurance Rip Off.. on 10:55 - Sep 12 by jack247

The introductory premiums on lots of insurance policies are set near break even point. Companies use that figure in comparison with your existing policy to attract you. They then make their profit in subsequent years.

Shopping around every time it’s up for renewal is the way to go of course, but if everybody did that, initial premiums would be driven up.

Which would be more honest.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Car Insurance Rip Off.. on 20:09 - Sep 12 with 1716 viewsBrynmill_Jack

They were charging my folks 90 pounds a month for and that was without a call plan and no internet! Branson is pure scum, although a hero to some on here

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Car Insurance Rip Off.. on 20:46 - Sep 12 with 1682 viewsDr_Winston

Car Insurance Rip Off.. on 20:09 - Sep 12 by Brynmill_Jack

They were charging my folks 90 pounds a month for and that was without a call plan and no internet! Branson is pure scum, although a hero to some on here

The only part of Virgin Media that Branson owns is the name.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Car Insurance Rip Off.. on 21:08 - Sep 12 with 1664 viewsJackSomething

I worked for Virgin Media many years ago, when they were still NTL.

I was in the faults team dealing with calls from the London area. What makes your example worse is the many examples of customers who would call up complaining about a fault, declare they wanted to cancel their account and would then be given free Sky Sports and half-price broadband for a year to keep their business. Some would call up with a new 'fault' just as their freebies ended and the cycle would continue.

All while you (and others I'm sure) got in trouble for being a decent human being. What a pile of sh*te.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Car Insurance Rip Off.. on 11:53 - Sep 13 with 1532 viewsjack247

Car Insurance Rip Off.. on 19:31 - Sep 12 by Glyn1

They exploit the elderly.

They exploit the young.

They exploit loyal customers.

Thank God for Martin Lewis and other similar people.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/
[Post edited 12 Sep 2019 19:35]

Martin Lewis is an opportunist. He’s made himself very rich. If everybody took his advice, renewals would be lower, but he’d actually drive initial prices up. You’d struggle to get a 0% credit card if everybody continually bounced debt around without paying interest.

I stand to be corrected on this, but I’m pretty sure when the PPI scandal first broke, he was charging people for a template letter on his website.

I don’t disagree he gives out some very useful advice, but don’t be fooled into thinking he’s doing it for your benefit.
Car Insurance Rip Off.. on 11:59 - Sep 13 with 1526 viewsgadgetuk

Car Insurance Rip Off.. on 11:53 - Sep 13 by jack247

Martin Lewis is an opportunist. He’s made himself very rich. If everybody took his advice, renewals would be lower, but he’d actually drive initial prices up. You’d struggle to get a 0% credit card if everybody continually bounced debt around without paying interest.

I stand to be corrected on this, but I’m pretty sure when the PPI scandal first broke, he was charging people for a template letter on his website.

I don’t disagree he gives out some very useful advice, but don’t be fooled into thinking he’s doing it for your benefit.

I've never seen a charge for any of his templates. Suspect you are incorrect.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024