Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gareth Thomas HIV positive 21:41 - Sep 14 with 16203 viewsDarran

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/gareth-thomas-reveals-hiv-p

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 10:12 - Sep 15 with 1747 viewsCatullus

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 10:07 - Sep 15 by thornabyswan

Was being blackmailed that's why he has mentioned it now.

Whatever the truth is, we all know perceptions can be powerful drivers of opinions. Alfie already stood accused of being an attention seeker.

My opinion still is his life and his health are none of my business, I would be more likely to watch an "HIV and me" documentary if it was about an "ordinary person" because Alfie, like it or not, is in a more priviliged position.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 10:44 - Sep 15 with 1708 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Although I have I sympathy for Gareth and his long suffering wife I have a serious question.
Should a person with HIV be playing a contact sport like Rugby where blood can be spilt?
We all know that Docs & Medics wear gloves which was basically introduced because of Aids, but what about protection for the other players?
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 10:47 - Sep 15 with 1703 viewsthornabyswan

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 10:44 - Sep 15 by A_Fans_Dad

Although I have I sympathy for Gareth and his long suffering wife I have a serious question.
Should a person with HIV be playing a contact sport like Rugby where blood can be spilt?
We all know that Docs & Medics wear gloves which was basically introduced because of Aids, but what about protection for the other players?

My assumption would be he didn't have it then.

Poll: Would you like Cooper to stay or go (regardless of compensation situation)

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 10:51 - Sep 15 with 1689 viewsjacks777

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 07:09 - Sep 15 by Sirjohnalot

If your immediate and only response isn’t one of sympathy then I feel very sorry for you.

Don’t you believe in personal responsibility then.
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 10:53 - Sep 15 with 1689 viewsHighjack

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 10:44 - Sep 15 by A_Fans_Dad

The HIV virus dies very quickly outside the body so it is very unlikely to be transferred unless two directly bleeding wounds come into contact with each other.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 10:59 - Sep 15 with 1668 viewsJango

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 10:53 - Sep 15 by Highjack

The HIV virus dies very quickly outside the body so it is very unlikely to be transferred unless two directly bleeding wounds come into contact with each other.

I bet those bastards that give him a beating last year weren’t so smug when finding out the news.
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 11:33 - Sep 15 with 1626 viewsrockinjk

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 10:53 - Sep 15 by Highjack

He has a fair point though, a very fair point
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 12:07 - Sep 15 with 1597 views34dfgdf54

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 11:33 - Sep 15 by rockinjk

Didn’t some NBA players go on strike when Magic Johnson was allowed to carry on playing? That’s pretty much a non contact sport aswell.
Login to get fewer ads

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 12:14 - Sep 15 with 1585 viewsraynor94

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 10:47 - Sep 15 by thornabyswan

My assumption would be he didn't have it then.

He said he's been HIV positive for years, when did he retire?

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 12:55 - Sep 15 with 1547 viewsjackharris

I can’t stand Gareth Thomas, everyone knew he was gay before he came out and nobody this day and age gives a flying f*ck. The man is a complete imbecile, he is thick as f*ck. Tapping is head so much has probably made him so stupid. Funnily enough he made this announcement the day before he takes part in a triathlon. The man craves fame. I thought he was an awesome rugby player, but why do the media try and make him up to be some sort of status symbol? As a human being I hope he is able to live long but please not in the media limelight.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2019 18:17]

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 12:59 - Sep 15 with 1539 viewssainthelens

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 12:55 - Sep 15 by jackharris

I can’t stand Gareth Thomas, everyone knew he was gay before he came out and nobody this day and age gives a flying f*ck. The man is a complete imbecile, he is thick as f*ck. Tapping is head so much has probably made him so stupid. Funnily enough he made this announcement the day before he takes part in a triathlon. The man craves fame. I thought he was an awesome rugby player, but why do the media try and make him up to be some sort of status symbol? As a human being I hope he is able to live long but please not in the media limelight.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2019 18:17]

This. All day.
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 13:18 - Sep 15 with 1500 viewsThrasher6

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 10:12 - Sep 15 by Joe_bradshaw

Remember that commentary many years ago when his sexuality was the worst kept secret in rugby?

Bill McLaren- "What's winger Gareth Thomas doing at the bottom of that huge pile of bodies?"

Gavin Hastings - "Probably having a whale of a time "

Did make me chuckle....

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 13:20 - Sep 15 with 1486 viewslondonlisa2001

So Gareth Thomas is being blackmailed about his HIV status. The tabloids find out and camp outside his parents’ house and are going to publish the story (which has been kept private for some time). He decides it’s better to make it public himself before the tabloids run the story, and in usual planetswans fashion, this is his fault for seeking publicity?

And there’s an associated outcry for him putting his children at risk when he doesn’t have children.

Terrific stuff.

I have sympathy for him. Awful shock to find out although medical advances mean that the virus can be managed pretty successfully these days so the risk of it developing into AIDS are far, far lower than used to be the case. Good luck to him.
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 13:33 - Sep 15 with 1469 viewsdickythorpe

Lisa , he bangs on about education and educating.....I've been in work today and a gay couple I have known for years said "he should have known the risks he was taking sneaking off to London whilst he was married and used protection".

The poor bloke is no different to any other repressed individual who have "played away" behind a partners back regardless of sexuality.

It's a sad state of affairs and he's almost rugby's Gazza.

P.S. if he was being blackmailed that's abhorrent and Gareth should name and shame them.

All this talk about footballers not coming out.....I and many others couldn't care less. All I want is 100% from any player in the team I support.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2019 13:35]
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 13:41 - Sep 15 with 1445 viewsJango

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 13:20 - Sep 15 by londonlisa2001

So Gareth Thomas is being blackmailed about his HIV status. The tabloids find out and camp outside his parents’ house and are going to publish the story (which has been kept private for some time). He decides it’s better to make it public himself before the tabloids run the story, and in usual planetswans fashion, this is his fault for seeking publicity?

And there’s an associated outcry for him putting his children at risk when he doesn’t have children.

Terrific stuff.

I have sympathy for him. Awful shock to find out although medical advances mean that the virus can be managed pretty successfully these days so the risk of it developing into AIDS are far, far lower than used to be the case. Good luck to him.

*He decides it’s better to make it public himself before the tabloids run the story, and in usual planetswans fashion, this is his fault for seeking publicity? *

Former Wales rugby captain Gareth Thomas has revealed he is HIV positive, saying he wants to "break the stigma" around the condition.

He said he wants to show how people with HIV are misrepresented as "walking around with walking sticks who are close to dying".
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 13:42 - Sep 15 with 1445 viewsthornabyswan

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 12:14 - Sep 15 by raynor94

He said he's been HIV positive for years, when did he retire?

2007 played 100 games for Wales 2nd highest try scorer behind Shane Williams.

Poll: Would you like Cooper to stay or go (regardless of compensation situation)

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 13:45 - Sep 15 with 1436 viewsJango

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 13:42 - Sep 15 by thornabyswan

2007 played 100 games for Wales 2nd highest try scorer behind Shane Williams.

He played rugby league then until 2010.
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 13:47 - Sep 15 with 1426 viewsHighjack

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 11:33 - Sep 15 by rockinjk

No he doesn’t, the risk of catching HIV that way is negligible.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 13:51 - Sep 15 with 1408 viewslondonlisa2001

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 13:33 - Sep 15 by dickythorpe

Lisa , he bangs on about education and educating.....I've been in work today and a gay couple I have known for years said "he should have known the risks he was taking sneaking off to London whilst he was married and used protection".

The poor bloke is no different to any other repressed individual who have "played away" behind a partners back regardless of sexuality.

It's a sad state of affairs and he's almost rugby's Gazza.

P.S. if he was being blackmailed that's abhorrent and Gareth should name and shame them.

All this talk about footballers not coming out.....I and many others couldn't care less. All I want is 100% from any player in the team I support.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2019 13:35]

Of course he should have used protection. It’s stupid when it’s so easily preventable.

But that’s the same with someone smoking, or drinking, or being overweight, or driving after a couple of pints or taking any drugs, or doing anything which increases risk. And yet everyone does it. Not all the time, but maybe once or twice. Everyone does something at some point which puts them at greater risk. It’s what humans do.

That doesn’t mean that one shouldn’t have sympathy.

He and his wife split up more than 12 years ago. I have no idea when he contracted HIV but it’s an assumption to say it was when he was ‘sneaking off to London’ or ‘playing away behind his partner’s back’.
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 13:55 - Sep 15 with 1395 viewslondonlisa2001

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 13:41 - Sep 15 by Jango

*He decides it’s better to make it public himself before the tabloids run the story, and in usual planetswans fashion, this is his fault for seeking publicity? *

Former Wales rugby captain Gareth Thomas has revealed he is HIV positive, saying he wants to "break the stigma" around the condition.

He said he wants to show how people with HIV are misrepresented as "walking around with walking sticks who are close to dying".

That doesn’t change the fact he was being blackmailed and the tabloids were outside his parents’ house.

If it was going to be made public, far better to do so in a way which can help others surely?
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 13:56 - Sep 15 with 1392 viewslondonlisa2001

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 13:47 - Sep 15 by Highjack

No he doesn’t, the risk of catching HIV that way is negligible.

Plus he has said that he’d been tested negative on a number of occasions.
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 14:04 - Sep 15 with 1370 viewsdickythorpe

Lisa, it's a sad case.
The cynic in me can't help wonder about the timing of a him announcing this what with the world cup starting in 5 days time.
He should reveal the blackmailers.

I'm glad he's getting counseling and you wonder if he should have sought it years ago, but then he was a young man in his 20's and felt invincible (as we all did)

He cuts a sad figure for someone who gave his all for Wales as a rugby player.

Because he's such a fitness fanatic I'm sure he could and would have a better chance of keeping himself as well as can be.
Maybe he could educate fellow sufferers in fitness regimes?

As I say I'm finding this sad as a rugby fan but like you said about those that over eat/ over drink the risks are surely known.
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 14:05 - Sep 15 with 1368 viewsHighjack

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 13:56 - Sep 15 by londonlisa2001

Plus he has said that he’d been tested negative on a number of occasions.

It’s even more negligible then.

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 14:08 - Sep 15 with 1361 viewsswan_si

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 13:55 - Sep 15 by londonlisa2001

That doesn’t change the fact he was being blackmailed and the tabloids were outside his parents’ house.

If it was going to be made public, far better to do so in a way which can help others surely?

So the tabloids were outside his his parents house, and he only then decides to go public so he can help others.
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 14:10 - Sep 15 with 1357 viewsItchySphincter

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 13:20 - Sep 15 by londonlisa2001

Terrific stuff.

You're right of course Lisa. #

He' still a tw@t though.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024