Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gareth Thomas HIV positive 21:41 - Sep 14 with 16277 viewsDarran

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/gareth-thomas-reveals-hiv-p

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 14:13 - Sep 15 with 1437 viewshobo

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 13:47 - Sep 15 by Highjack

No he doesn’t, the risk of catching HIV that way is negligible.

What's the reason for forcing footballer's off to get their shirt changed when they've spilt a bit of blood on it?
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 14:16 - Sep 15 with 1427 viewsDr_Winston

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 14:13 - Sep 15 by hobo

What's the reason for forcing footballer's off to get their shirt changed when they've spilt a bit of blood on it?

Hygiene?

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 14:16 - Sep 15 with 1422 viewslondonlisa2001

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 14:10 - Sep 15 by ItchySphincter

You're right of course Lisa. #

He' still a tw@t though.

That may be the case. Although I have to say that people I know who’ve met him as part of his work with anti discrimination education with big companies have said he’s been a great bloke.

It may be that when he was playing he was a bit of a tw*t and as he’s older he’s not. Or maybe it just depends on the circumstances of meeting him.
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 14:18 - Sep 15 with 1418 viewsswan_si

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 14:16 - Sep 15 by Dr_Winston

Hygiene?

Then Gary Lineker should have changed his shorts when he shat himself.
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 14:19 - Sep 15 with 1403 viewslondonlisa2001

To reduce even further the risk of blood borne infections.
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 14:24 - Sep 15 with 1372 viewsHighjack

It’s largely because it’s not very pleasant.

As I said HIV dies pretty much immediately as soon as it leaves the body. You pretty much need a direct transfusion. This is why you’re unlikely to get it from kissing or touching someone who is sweating.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 14:36 - Sep 15 with 1342 viewslondonlisa2001

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 14:24 - Sep 15 by Highjack

It’s largely because it’s not very pleasant.

As I said HIV dies pretty much immediately as soon as it leaves the body. You pretty much need a direct transfusion. This is why you’re unlikely to get it from kissing or touching someone who is sweating.

It’s not only unlikely. HIV can’t be transmitted from either saliva or sweat.
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 14:39 - Sep 15 with 1335 viewsHighjack

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 14:36 - Sep 15 by londonlisa2001

It’s not only unlikely. HIV can’t be transmitted from either saliva or sweat.

It’s possible with kissing if both partners have bleeding lips, gums or ulcers etc. But still very unlikely.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Login to get fewer ads

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 14:43 - Sep 15 with 1322 viewsjacks777

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 13:20 - Sep 15 by londonlisa2001

So Gareth Thomas is being blackmailed about his HIV status. The tabloids find out and camp outside his parents’ house and are going to publish the story (which has been kept private for some time). He decides it’s better to make it public himself before the tabloids run the story, and in usual planetswans fashion, this is his fault for seeking publicity?

And there’s an associated outcry for him putting his children at risk when he doesn’t have children.

Terrific stuff.

I have sympathy for him. Awful shock to find out although medical advances mean that the virus can be managed pretty successfully these days so the risk of it developing into AIDS are far, far lower than used to be the case. Good luck to him.

Awful shock ? Not really. If you play Russian roulette would it be a surprise if someone told you, you may get your brains blown out.
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 14:44 - Sep 15 with 1321 viewslondonlisa2001

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 14:39 - Sep 15 by Highjack

It’s possible with kissing if both partners have bleeding lips, gums or ulcers etc. But still very unlikely.

Only one recorded instance of that happening in the world. In 1990.

But that was an exchange of blood, not saliva. The virus cannot be transmitted in saliva. Or sweat.
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 14:45 - Sep 15 with 1317 viewslondonlisa2001

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 14:43 - Sep 15 by jacks777

Awful shock ? Not really. If you play Russian roulette would it be a surprise if someone told you, you may get your brains blown out.

Of course it’s still an awful shock.

Stop being such a complete arse the entire time.
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 14:50 - Sep 15 with 1298 viewsHighjack

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 14:44 - Sep 15 by londonlisa2001

Only one recorded instance of that happening in the world. In 1990.

But that was an exchange of blood, not saliva. The virus cannot be transmitted in saliva. Or sweat.

Yes that’s what I was saying...

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 15:11 - Sep 15 with 1261 viewschad

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 14:50 - Sep 15 by Highjack

Indeed that was exactly what you were already correctly saying

As far as living outside the body it is normally extremely short lived as you say, but it seems with dried blood it can survive several days and in blood inside a syringe for e.g. can survive several weeks. So presumably could still potentially infect someone if it comes into contact with mucus membrane mouth etc or blood to blood?
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 15:13 - Sep 15 with 1249 viewsjacks777

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 14:45 - Sep 15 by londonlisa2001

Of course it’s still an awful shock.

Stop being such a complete arse the entire time.

Nonsense.
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 15:31 - Sep 15 with 1217 viewslondonlisa2001

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 14:50 - Sep 15 by Highjack

You said it was unlikely. I was simply pointing out that transmission from saliva or sweat is not unlikely but impossible. There is a difference.
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 15:37 - Sep 15 with 1209 viewsrockinjk

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 13:47 - Sep 15 by Highjack

No he doesn’t, the risk of catching HIV that way is negligible.

Negligible is not zero
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 15:39 - Sep 15 with 1201 viewslondonlisa2001

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 15:11 - Sep 15 by chad

Indeed that was exactly what you were already correctly saying

As far as living outside the body it is normally extremely short lived as you say, but it seems with dried blood it can survive several days and in blood inside a syringe for e.g. can survive several weeks. So presumably could still potentially infect someone if it comes into contact with mucus membrane mouth etc or blood to blood?

How many instances of HIV infection in the world have been caused by someone coming into contact with blood or semen left behind on a surface chad?

Ever?
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 15:52 - Sep 15 with 1170 viewschad

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 15:39 - Sep 15 by londonlisa2001

How many instances of HIV infection in the world have been caused by someone coming into contact with blood or semen left behind on a surface chad?

Ever?

Although I have not done an exhaustive global survey on this I believe it is quite common with shared needles and that this is quite commonly understood.

Is there anything factually incorrect in what I actually said?
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 15:54 - Sep 15 with 1161 viewslondonlisa2001

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 15:52 - Sep 15 by chad

Although I have not done an exhaustive global survey on this I believe it is quite common with shared needles and that this is quite commonly understood.

I didn’t ask you about shared needles. You were talking about dried blood. Answer the question.

How many cases? In the world? Ever?
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 15:58 - Sep 15 with 1157 viewsswan_si

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 15:52 - Sep 15 by chad

Ignore the cant, she will be advising you on how to bring a child up next.
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 16:06 - Sep 15 with 1116 viewslondonlisa2001

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 15:58 - Sep 15 by swan_si

Ignore the cant, she will be advising you on how to bring a child up next.

Ah bless. I’m sure if you have a child you’ll be able to bring them up to be as bigoted as you want them to be. Just don’t expect the schools to help you do so.
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 16:07 - Sep 15 with 1113 viewsswan_si

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 16:06 - Sep 15 by londonlisa2001

Ah bless. I’m sure if you have a child you’ll be able to bring them up to be as bigoted as you want them to be. Just don’t expect the schools to help you do so.

I wasn't talking to you so fack off.
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 16:08 - Sep 15 with 1113 viewsHighjack

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 15:31 - Sep 15 by londonlisa2001

You said it was unlikely. I was simply pointing out that transmission from saliva or sweat is not unlikely but impossible. There is a difference.

I never mentioned saliva.

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 16:10 - Sep 15 with 1102 viewslondonlisa2001

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 16:07 - Sep 15 by swan_si

I wasn't talking to you so fack off.

You were talking about me. So it’s perfectly reasonable for me to respond.
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 16:11 - Sep 15 with 1097 viewsHighjack

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 15:37 - Sep 15 by rockinjk

Negligible is not zero

If Mr Thomas had HIV whilst playing and had an open bleeding wound and he was tackled by another player with a bleeding wound there is a small but very unlikely chance if the blood directly mixes together of the virus being transmitted. But it has since been pointed out he didn’t have HIV when he was playing.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024