Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gareth Thomas HIV positive 21:41 - Sep 14 with 16204 viewsDarran

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/gareth-thomas-reveals-hiv-p

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 16:16 - Sep 15 with 1447 viewslondonlisa2001

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 16:08 - Sep 15 by Highjack

I never mentioned saliva.

And I didn’t claim you had. I was adding to your point rather than arguing with it.

If you say passing it on by kissing is unlikely, some may wrongly believe that the exchange of saliva could cause infection. When it doesn’t. If you say it’s unlikely by touching someone who’s sweating, some may wrongly believe it can be transmitted through sweat. When it can’t.

I was clarifying given there seem to be a number of people that still have a very poor grasp of the way the disease is transmitted.
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 16:42 - Sep 15 with 1391 viewsTimTtam

If he's been stupid enough to not use protection, he loses most sympathy from me. Since he said it's happened in the last few years, he definitely knew the risks. And that is, if you contract it, you cannot be cured and your life expectancy will possibly decrease.

I also notice the article mentions nothing about the mistakes he made. He says “I’m speaking out because I want to help others and make a difference.”, yet the main way he can make a difference is to not let others make the same mistake he did. If there is no HIV in the first place, there doesn't need to be any stigma-prevention.

My name is Matt
Poll: Best option in regards to the EPL & EFL seasons?

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 16:50 - Sep 15 with 1375 viewsHighjack

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 16:16 - Sep 15 by londonlisa2001

And I didn’t claim you had. I was adding to your point rather than arguing with it.

If you say passing it on by kissing is unlikely, some may wrongly believe that the exchange of saliva could cause infection. When it doesn’t. If you say it’s unlikely by touching someone who’s sweating, some may wrongly believe it can be transmitted through sweat. When it can’t.

I was clarifying given there seem to be a number of people that still have a very poor grasp of the way the disease is transmitted.

Yeah people don’t realise how hard it is to catch. Even unprotected sex has a lower chance of transmittal than people realise. Although it’s still not recommended. Gay men obviously have a higher chance of catching it because there’s more chance of bleeding occurring with the way they do it although a lot of straight people like doing it that way too for some reason.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 16:53 - Sep 15 with 1364 viewspencoedjack

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 13:55 - Sep 15 by londonlisa2001

That doesn’t change the fact he was being blackmailed and the tabloids were outside his parents’ house.

If it was going to be made public, far better to do so in a way which can help others surely?

I think he might be blowing the media outside his parents house as an excuse.

Drive past his parents house most days.

There would be little interest unless Thomas was publishing it, as Dicky says it would be far more interesting watching a programme about someone less famous with HIV.

A gay friend of mine finds Gareth Thomas an embarrassment to his sexuality
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 16:54 - Sep 15 with 1362 viewschad

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 15:54 - Sep 15 by londonlisa2001

I didn’t ask you about shared needles. You were talking about dried blood. Answer the question.

How many cases? In the world? Ever?

Calm down Lisa it is not all about you and your demands. It is hopefully an enlightened debate.

I certainly was not only talking about dried blood hence the markedly different survival rates given. Also needles can certainly have dry as well as wet blood.

As often you choose to argue about something that was never said.

Now is there anything factually incorrect in what I said about the recorded survival rates of HIV both in dried blood and wet blood. Or anything else incorrect in the comment I made. After all I would like to think we would like the honest facts about such an important issue, not just using our effects to crush anyone that disagrees with our world view.

If not and you want to take the issue further with regards to facts proving the low likelihood of this great, happy to hear it, but it does not detract from what I said or invalidate it.
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 17:00 - Sep 15 with 1351 viewsswan_si

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 16:42 - Sep 15 by TimTtam

If he's been stupid enough to not use protection, he loses most sympathy from me. Since he said it's happened in the last few years, he definitely knew the risks. And that is, if you contract it, you cannot be cured and your life expectancy will possibly decrease.

I also notice the article mentions nothing about the mistakes he made. He says “I’m speaking out because I want to help others and make a difference.”, yet the main way he can make a difference is to not let others make the same mistake he did. If there is no HIV in the first place, there doesn't need to be any stigma-prevention.

I wonder how many people would have the same sympathy and understanding for a smoker who contracts lung cancer, if only they didnt put that fag to their mouth.
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 17:02 - Sep 15 with 1347 viewsHighjack

Personally I’d be more concerned about the inevitable urinary tract infections caused by copious amounts of faeces being rammed forcefully up my urethra Franklyn.

Nah not for me.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 17:04 - Sep 15 with 1328 viewsSwanjaxs

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 17:02 - Sep 15 by Highjack

Personally I’d be more concerned about the inevitable urinary tract infections caused by copious amounts of faeces being rammed forcefully up my urethra Franklyn.

Nah not for me.

More reason to wrap it up I suppose

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Login to get fewer ads

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 17:16 - Sep 15 with 1281 viewsdickythorpe

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 17:22 - Sep 15 with 1269 viewsDrGonzo

This thread is a cancer.
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 17:36 - Sep 15 with 1216 viewsjacks777

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 15:58 - Sep 15 by swan_si

Ignore the cant, she will be advising you on how to bring a child up next.

My guess is she doesn’t have children.
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 17:44 - Sep 15 with 1198 viewsswan_si

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 17:36 - Sep 15 by jacks777

Correct.
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 17:55 - Sep 15 with 1162 viewsNeath_Jack

And that's the thread hitting rock bottom.

Have a word with yourselves ffs.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 18:02 - Sep 15 with 1147 viewsJack_Meoff

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 17:16 - Sep 15 by dickythorpe

An implement for feeding houseplants I'm guessing dicky?

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 18:11 - Sep 15 with 1121 viewsWingstandwood

Respect and praise for Gareth Thomas and his fitness levels to take part in an Iron man event, fitness maintained is fitness supreme.

Argus!

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 18:32 - Sep 15 with 1071 viewsSwanjaxs

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 17:36 - Sep 15 by jacks777

Too far mate...

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 18:37 - Sep 15 with 1047 viewsNeath_Jack

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 18:32 - Sep 15 by Swanjaxs

Too far mate...

And they aren't guessing either, they both know the score.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 18:39 - Sep 15 with 1042 viewsbluey_the_blue

Going back a while, someone claimed Thomas gave the story as being "blackmailed". EDIT: Just seen Sun story where he claims that.

From wales online however, as someone posted on another thread...

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/gareth-thomas-breaks-down-hugs-169

"There was also a documentary film crew there filming Thomas and his family for BBC Wales documentary Gareth Thomas: HIV and Me, which will be on BBC One Wales and BBC iPlayer on Wednesday, September 18 at 9pm."

Now call me Cynical McCynicalFace, but I don't think blackmailers would issue a demand with a deadline allowing time for filming, editing of a documentary programme. Equally, now he's publicly revealed it, I assume he's reported the blackmailers to the police? After all, given that he's revealed the info himself, they've nothing "on" him, right?
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 18:44 - Sep 15 with 1028 viewsjacks777

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 18:37 - Sep 15 by Neath_Jack

And they aren't guessing either, they both know the score.

What score ? Are you paranoid or something. I don’t know anything about her apart from she’s from London and that because her username is Londonlisa.
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 18:53 - Sep 15 with 1003 viewsthornabyswan

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 18:44 - Sep 15 by jacks777

What score ? Are you paranoid or something. I don’t know anything about her apart from she’s from London and that because her username is Londonlisa.

If you can't just wish him good luck and all the best you are a bit of a tw@t really.

Poll: Would you like Cooper to stay or go (regardless of compensation situation)

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 18:57 - Sep 15 with 997 viewsraynor94

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 18:39 - Sep 15 by bluey_the_blue

Going back a while, someone claimed Thomas gave the story as being "blackmailed". EDIT: Just seen Sun story where he claims that.

From wales online however, as someone posted on another thread...

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/gareth-thomas-breaks-down-hugs-169

"There was also a documentary film crew there filming Thomas and his family for BBC Wales documentary Gareth Thomas: HIV and Me, which will be on BBC One Wales and BBC iPlayer on Wednesday, September 18 at 9pm."

Now call me Cynical McCynicalFace, but I don't think blackmailers would issue a demand with a deadline allowing time for filming, editing of a documentary programme. Equally, now he's publicly revealed it, I assume he's reported the blackmailers to the police? After all, given that he's revealed the info himself, they've nothing "on" him, right?

100% spot on

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 18:59 - Sep 15 with 992 viewsHighjack

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 18:44 - Sep 15 by jacks777

She’s not from London.

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 19:04 - Sep 15 with 981 viewslondonlisa2001

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 16:54 - Sep 15 by chad

Calm down Lisa it is not all about you and your demands. It is hopefully an enlightened debate.

I certainly was not only talking about dried blood hence the markedly different survival rates given. Also needles can certainly have dry as well as wet blood.

As often you choose to argue about something that was never said.

Now is there anything factually incorrect in what I said about the recorded survival rates of HIV both in dried blood and wet blood. Or anything else incorrect in the comment I made. After all I would like to think we would like the honest facts about such an important issue, not just using our effects to crush anyone that disagrees with our world view.

If not and you want to take the issue further with regards to facts proving the low likelihood of this great, happy to hear it, but it does not detract from what I said or invalidate it.

You said, and I quote:

“As far as living outside the body it is normally extremely short lived as you say, but it seems with dried blood it can survive several days and in blood inside a syringe for e.g. can survive several weeks. So presumably could still potentially infect someone if it comes into contact with mucus membrane mouth etc or blood to blood?”

In a discussion about risk. Specifically risk to others who may have had contact with Gareth Thomas or others in his position.

So I asked you, perfectly reasonably, to tell us how many cases there have ever been of infection from dried blood or a blood smear on a surface. Since that, transparently, is a statistic that is relevant to the ‘dried blood’ creating risk point you made. You then changed tack to shared syringes.

‘As often’ you say something then swear blind you haven’t said it. You should join the Tory cabinet.
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 19:05 - Sep 15 with 976 viewslondonlisa2001

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 17:44 - Sep 15 by swan_si

Correct.

What the hell does that have to do with anything?

Take a look at yourself.
Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 19:08 - Sep 15 with 972 viewsthornabyswan

Gareth Thomas HIV positive on 18:59 - Sep 15 by Highjack

She’s not from London.

And her name is not Lisa

Poll: Would you like Cooper to stay or go (regardless of compensation situation)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024