Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The lib dems 16:00 - Sep 15 with 9283 viewsrockinjk

I have to say they’re impressing me - they seem to have grown up as a party. The more they attract talent like Sam Gyimah etc makes me think they could govern

One Nation conservatives like myself and moderate social democrats should get behind them. This isn’t just Brexit, it’s time for a change.

If this momentum continues I wouldn’t say chucking a tenner on them winning is out of bounds. We are in strange times.

I hope people are brave in the coming election and don’t revert to type
The lib dems on 16:14 - Sep 15 with 5392 viewskrunchykarrot

What i want is a party that will do what they are told or what their manifesto says. You must be easily impressed as this lot of cobbled together "Democrats" want to ignore 17.2 million people. And anyway any party with Chukka Uppa in it is doomed to fail. And if you think Gyimah went there for political and not personal reasons you should vote for the late Lord Sutch's party.
The lib dems on 16:18 - Sep 15 with 5383 viewsHighjack

The lib dems on 16:14 - Sep 15 by krunchykarrot

What i want is a party that will do what they are told or what their manifesto says. You must be easily impressed as this lot of cobbled together "Democrats" want to ignore 17.2 million people. And anyway any party with Chukka Uppa in it is doomed to fail. And if you think Gyimah went there for political and not personal reasons you should vote for the late Lord Sutch's party.

The irony is the illiberal undemocrats were the first ones demanding an EU referendum in the first place.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

The lib dems on 16:21 - Sep 15 with 5377 viewsbluey_the_blue

Lib Dem conference rseolution passed is to revoke article 50 without second referendum.

They are electoral toast.

lt's hard to tally liberal democracy with welcoming Phillip Lee given his views on homosexuality. Still, Lib Dems have found a nice strategy of trying to double their number of MPs b getting MPs elected under other parties manifestos in.

Lib Dems under Swinson just like every other party - want "power" and if principles get in the way...
The lib dems on 16:25 - Sep 15 with 5368 viewsrockinjk

Electoral toast haha behave yourself

There are millions who want remain and they’re hoovering that vote up

This could finish labour off once and for all
The lib dems on 16:28 - Sep 15 with 5359 viewsexiledclaseboy

Pledging to revoke A50 is irrelevant anyway because they’ll never form a majority government. It’ll obviously be downgraded to a referendum during any hypothetical coalition negotiations.

Poll: Tory leader

The lib dems on 16:30 - Sep 15 with 5354 viewsrockinjk

The lib dems on 16:28 - Sep 15 by exiledclaseboy

Pledging to revoke A50 is irrelevant anyway because they’ll never form a majority government. It’ll obviously be downgraded to a referendum during any hypothetical coalition negotiations.

Exactly. It’s a negotiating tool and it’s very clever.

It makes referendum option seem moderate.

My hope is a liberal return of around 150 mp’s and another Hung Parliament

Then in following election the end of two party system
The lib dems on 16:32 - Sep 15 with 5338 viewslondonlisa2001

The lib dems on 16:21 - Sep 15 by bluey_the_blue

Lib Dem conference rseolution passed is to revoke article 50 without second referendum.

They are electoral toast.

lt's hard to tally liberal democracy with welcoming Phillip Lee given his views on homosexuality. Still, Lib Dems have found a nice strategy of trying to double their number of MPs b getting MPs elected under other parties manifestos in.

Lib Dems under Swinson just like every other party - want "power" and if principles get in the way...

Actually I think the clarity of position helps them come an election.

However, I do agree with you that they need to be careful not to make brexit such a focus that it prevents scrutiny of the other positions of those joining.

Philip Lee’s position on homosexuality is a little more nuanced than you portray as it happens, but the wider point is valid.
The lib dems on 16:34 - Sep 15 with 5344 viewsexiledclaseboy

The lib dems on 16:30 - Sep 15 by rockinjk

Exactly. It’s a negotiating tool and it’s very clever.

It makes referendum option seem moderate.

My hope is a liberal return of around 150 mp’s and another Hung Parliament

Then in following election the end of two party system

There’s absolutely no chance of them getting that many MPs. 50 at most and I consider that pretty unlikely.

Login to get fewer ads

The lib dems on 16:38 - Sep 15 with 5333 viewsrockinjk

The lib dems on 16:34 - Sep 15 by exiledclaseboy

There’s absolutely no chance of them getting that many MPs. 50 at most and I consider that pretty unlikely.

I’m not so sure, they’ll win South West, sweep up London and could make gains in lots of other places with deals between parties

Clear position is key and they’ve got a donkey running labour

It’s not out of question at all
The lib dems on 16:39 - Sep 15 with 5327 viewsbluey_the_blue

The lib dems on 16:32 - Sep 15 by londonlisa2001

Actually I think the clarity of position helps them come an election.

However, I do agree with you that they need to be careful not to make brexit such a focus that it prevents scrutiny of the other positions of those joining.

Philip Lee’s position on homosexuality is a little more nuanced than you portray as it happens, but the wider point is valid.

Well, Jennie Rigg resigned over it, blasting the party. I bow to her greater expertise and knowledge on the topic.

Lib Dems approach right now is "anyone is welcome, as long as revocation is the aim". It's not going to go down well with the electorate. Core supporters will be appalled, won't necessarily attract too many new voters.
The lib dems on 16:40 - Sep 15 with 5323 viewsrockinjk

The lib dems on 16:39 - Sep 15 by bluey_the_blue

Well, Jennie Rigg resigned over it, blasting the party. I bow to her greater expertise and knowledge on the topic.

Lib Dems approach right now is "anyone is welcome, as long as revocation is the aim". It's not going to go down well with the electorate. Core supporters will be appalled, won't necessarily attract too many new voters.

Again you’re spinning this, I would suggest having a broader church will help them immensely

You’re acting like a bitter corbynista mate
The lib dems on 16:41 - Sep 15 with 5322 viewsexiledclaseboy

The lib dems on 16:39 - Sep 15 by bluey_the_blue

Why would core supporters be appalled? The LibDems have always been rabidly pro EU.

Oh you’re on about the former Tories. They do need to guard against letting in any old bigot who wants to leave the Tories. They don’t want to be seen as Tory lite either.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2019 16:42]

The lib dems on 16:42 - Sep 15 with 5316 viewsbluey_the_blue

The lib dems on 16:38 - Sep 15 by rockinjk

I’m not so sure, they’ll win South West, sweep up London and could make gains in lots of other places with deals between parties

Clear position is key and they’ve got a donkey running labour

It’s not out of question at all

Deals with parties?

Which parties would those be?

Yup, I can see SNP standing down in Jockland to help them.
Yup, I can see Plaid standing down in God's own country to help them.
Yup, I can absolutely see Milne telling Corbyn to get Labour to stand down to help them.

That said, I can see the doing well in core support areas you identified. Nowhere near enough to make too much noise.
The lib dems on 16:44 - Sep 15 with 5308 viewsrockinjk

The lib dems on 16:42 - Sep 15 by bluey_the_blue

Deals with parties?

Which parties would those be?

Yup, I can see SNP standing down in Jockland to help them.
Yup, I can see Plaid standing down in God's own country to help them.
Yup, I can absolutely see Milne telling Corbyn to get Labour to stand down to help them.

That said, I can see the doing well in core support areas you identified. Nowhere near enough to make too much noise.

Remain alliance is growing - have a look for yourself

It’s a thing now
The lib dems on 16:46 - Sep 15 with 5298 viewsrockinjk

The lib dems on 16:41 - Sep 15 by exiledclaseboy

Why would core supporters be appalled? The LibDems have always been rabidly pro EU.

Oh you’re on about the former Tories. They do need to guard against letting in any old bigot who wants to leave the Tories. They don’t want to be seen as Tory lite either.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2019 16:42]

But I’ll go back to the point what holds the liberals back is this notion that they’ll all a bunch of sandal wearing pinkos

Getting some serious minded tories and labour folk in will improve their image

It may lose them a few but it will gain them many more and provide them with credibility
The lib dems on 16:47 - Sep 15 with 5291 viewsbluey_the_blue

The lib dems on 16:44 - Sep 15 by rockinjk

Remain alliance is growing - have a look for yourself

It’s a thing now

I'm sure it's a thing but so are bacterial vaginosis adverts during Stargate Atlantis.

Doesn't make it a palatable thing.
The lib dems on 16:48 - Sep 15 with 5289 viewsexiledclaseboy

The lib dems on 16:47 - Sep 15 by bluey_the_blue

I'm sure it's a thing but so are bacterial vaginosis adverts during Stargate Atlantis.

Doesn't make it a palatable thing.

Well it wouldn’t be palatable to you as a confirmed leaver.

The lib dems on 16:49 - Sep 15 with 5285 viewsexiledclaseboy

The lib dems on 16:46 - Sep 15 by rockinjk

But I’ll go back to the point what holds the liberals back is this notion that they’ll all a bunch of sandal wearing pinkos

It may lose them a few but it will gain them many more and provide them with credibility

I’m not sure the likes of Lee and Gyimah meet the “serious minded” criteria to be honest.

The lib dems on 16:50 - Sep 15 with 5280 viewsbluey_the_blue

The lib dems on 16:46 - Sep 15 by rockinjk

Chuka Umunna you mean? The one who backed Corbyn until he didn't, quitting to form new party where he thought he'd be the star politician of the group until they realised none of them really agreed on anything so then decided he was really a Lib Dem?

Dr Philip Lee, who realised Lib Dems match his view of abstaining against gay marriage ( that vile BoJo voting in favour of.. ) and wanting foreign people with HIV not to be let into Britain?

Those kind of serious minded, heavy hitters you mean?

Lib Dems have become a one topic party. If you can't see that...
The lib dems on 16:51 - Sep 15 with 5277 viewsexiledclaseboy

The lib dems on 16:50 - Sep 15 by bluey_the_blue

Chuka Umunna you mean? The one who backed Corbyn until he didn't, quitting to form new party where he thought he'd be the star politician of the group until they realised none of them really agreed on anything so then decided he was really a Lib Dem?

Dr Philip Lee, who realised Lib Dems match his view of abstaining against gay marriage ( that vile BoJo voting in favour of.. ) and wanting foreign people with HIV not to be let into Britain?

British politics is a one issue pastime at the moment, Bluey.

The lib dems on 16:55 - Sep 15 with 5255 viewsbluey_the_blue

The lib dems on 16:51 - Sep 15 by exiledclaseboy

British politics is a one issue pastime at the moment, Bluey.

Indeed it is - at the moment.

That however doesn't mean people abandon their core values.

There are already members quitting in protest at Lee.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/09/04/lgbt-liberal-democrats-phillip-lee-jennie-

I wasn't aware till reading that he voted against right to remain for EU nationals - if true, it makes the decision to admit him even more difficult to believe. Swinson wants more MPs, doesn't seem to care if it comprimises party core values.

How therefore are they a true alternative?
The lib dems on 16:56 - Sep 15 with 5253 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Tories are talking about nothing else either and they started this nonsense with Cameron’s crazy decision to lance the boil in his party.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

The lib dems on 16:57 - Sep 15 with 5251 viewskrunchykarrot

Don't forget Tim Farron!
The lib dems on 16:57 - Sep 15 with 5249 viewsexiledclaseboy

The lib dems on 16:55 - Sep 15 by bluey_the_blue

Indeed it is - at the moment.

That however doesn't mean people abandon their core values.

There are already members quitting in protest at Lee.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/09/04/lgbt-liberal-democrats-phillip-lee-jennie-

I wasn't aware till reading that he voted against right to remain for EU nationals - if true, it makes the decision to admit him even more difficult to believe. Swinson wants more MPs, doesn't seem to care if it comprimises party core values.

How therefore are they a true alternative?

It’s good that you’re so interested in LGBT rights all of a sudden. I’d imagine you’d have defended Lee to the hilt while he was still a Tory. I’ve always found him to be pretty disagreeable to be honest, regardless of which colour his rosette is.

The lib dems on 17:06 - Sep 15 with 5232 viewsbluey_the_blue

The lib dems on 16:57 - Sep 15 by exiledclaseboy

It’s good that you’re so interested in LGBT rights all of a sudden. I’d imagine you’d have defended Lee to the hilt while he was still a Tory. I’ve always found him to be pretty disagreeable to be honest, regardless of which colour his rosette is.

Nope, I've never liked him even as a Tory.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024