Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rise of the Nazis 07:18 - Sep 19 with 1537 viewsTreforys_Jack

Currently on BBC iPlayer, 3 part docu-drama , absolutely fascinating program, amazing how many times Hitler was nearly foiled, well worth a watch if you're into your History.
Rise of the Nazis on 09:25 - Sep 19 with 1489 viewsperchrockjack

Just finished."Travellers on the Third Reich" by Julia Boyd. Excellent and insightful into this period

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Rise of the Nazis on 21:53 - Sep 19 with 1373 viewsCatullus

I have downloaded them to watch when it's quiet. In school I found history boring and how did teachers manage to make such a fascinating subject to yawn worthy?

I've read a lot about Rome and I intend moving on to the Greeks after I've read a book Lohengtin recommended.

It's said if you don't learn the lessons of history you are doomed to repeat the same mistakes. Well the human race is caught in a loop. We never learn. Maybe one day eh.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Rise of the Nazis on 23:05 - Sep 19 with 1348 viewsTreforys_Jack

Rise of the Nazis on 21:53 - Sep 19 by Catullus

I have downloaded them to watch when it's quiet. In school I found history boring and how did teachers manage to make such a fascinating subject to yawn worthy?

I've read a lot about Rome and I intend moving on to the Greeks after I've read a book Lohengtin recommended.

It's said if you don't learn the lessons of history you are doomed to repeat the same mistakes. Well the human race is caught in a loop. We never learn. Maybe one day eh.

Catullus, it was exactly the same for me, it wasn't until my 30's probably that i started to take an interest. Rome is also a particular favorite of mine, also a deep interest in WW1 & WW2, really enjoy wandering around the battlefields, monuments and museums. My 25yr old self would never have believed it.
Rise of the Nazis on 08:24 - Sep 20 with 1287 viewsperchrockjack

Tref.

A trip to Berlin is recommended.

As ell as WW2 stuff ,the breaking up of east Germany is there to behold in many museums

Rise of the Nazis on 08:28 - Sep 20 with 1288 viewsMrSwerve

Anyone been to Auschwitz? I’m hoping to visit early next year. I know a few who have been, apparently very surreal and heartbreaking.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Rise of the Nazis on 08:45 - Sep 20 with 1283 viewsCatullus

Rise of the Nazis on 23:05 - Sep 19 by Treforys_Jack

Catullus, it was exactly the same for me, it wasn't until my 30's probably that i started to take an interest. Rome is also a particular favorite of mine, also a deep interest in WW1 & WW2, really enjoy wandering around the battlefields, monuments and museums. My 25yr old self would never have believed it.

I also have a deep interest in WW2 but mostly because my Grandad was a Royal Marine Commando. I want to find out what he did, where he served. He would never say anything beyond he knew he had to do what he did but he was still ashamed of it.
When you listen, properly listen to the stories of the veterans from WW2 it really makes you think. It's never about heroism or glory.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Rise of the Nazis on 09:38 - Sep 20 with 1264 viewscontroversial_jack

Rise of the Nazis on 08:28 - Sep 20 by MrSwerve

Anyone been to Auschwitz? I’m hoping to visit early next year. I know a few who have been, apparently very surreal and heartbreaking.

I have been. It's very informative - the Holocaust deniers should go there and get educated. I didn't find it particularly distressing nor did anyone else in the group as it's basically a museum with groups and guides walking and talking. We all know the story, so it doesn't come as a surprise.

The scale of the place is astounding.It's in two parts, Auschwitz and Birkenau. Birkenau being the real death camp and where the trains arrived and where the mass killing was carried out.

It's about an hour and a quarters bus ride from Krakow and is was about £30, probably more now, because of the weak pound.You cannot take large bags into the place and there is a cafe and toilets on site. Some do it independently, but you need a guide as they give you head sets to listen to the commentary. As it's a distance from Krakow, the tour tends to be a bit rushed and crowded with other visitors

It's a full day out with an early start about 8am. The bus played a video of the camp before just as an introduction.If you are in the area then it should be done, just to pay your respects to the victims
Rise of the Nazis on 18:34 - Sep 20 with 1194 viewsTreforys_Jack

Rise of the Nazis on 08:45 - Sep 20 by Catullus

I also have a deep interest in WW2 but mostly because my Grandad was a Royal Marine Commando. I want to find out what he did, where he served. He would never say anything beyond he knew he had to do what he did but he was still ashamed of it.
When you listen, properly listen to the stories of the veterans from WW2 it really makes you think. It's never about heroism or glory.

I did a tour last year with Leger, "great commando raids of WW2" absolutely brilliant, especially operation Chariot and the raid on St Nazaire with the Cambeltown. Very very brave men indeed, knowing your on a mission with a 50% chance at best of coming back, just mind boggling for us today. Total respect and gratitude to our Grandparents generation.
Login to get fewer ads

Rise of the Nazis on 18:37 - Sep 20 with 1192 viewsTreforys_Jack

Rise of the Nazis on 08:24 - Sep 20 by perchrockjack

Tref.

A trip to Berlin is recommended.

As ell as WW2 stuff ,the breaking up of east Germany is there to behold in many museums

Perch, Berlin is on my bucket list as is Peenemunde, Wilhelmshaven, and Kiel.
Rise of the Nazis on 18:39 - Sep 20 with 1188 viewsperchrockjack

It aint pretty.

It is FULL of history.

Stay in old east Berlin ,if you can and visit the Stasi museum.

PM before you go.

Rise of the Nazis on 21:10 - Sep 20 with 1145 viewslonglostjack

Rise of the Nazis on 09:38 - Sep 20 by controversial_jack

I have been. It's very informative - the Holocaust deniers should go there and get educated. I didn't find it particularly distressing nor did anyone else in the group as it's basically a museum with groups and guides walking and talking. We all know the story, so it doesn't come as a surprise.

The scale of the place is astounding.It's in two parts, Auschwitz and Birkenau. Birkenau being the real death camp and where the trains arrived and where the mass killing was carried out.

It's about an hour and a quarters bus ride from Krakow and is was about £30, probably more now, because of the weak pound.You cannot take large bags into the place and there is a cafe and toilets on site. Some do it independently, but you need a guide as they give you head sets to listen to the commentary. As it's a distance from Krakow, the tour tends to be a bit rushed and crowded with other visitors

It's a full day out with an early start about 8am. The bus played a video of the camp before just as an introduction.If you are in the area then it should be done, just to pay your respects to the victims

The lessons should never be forgotten. I went to a BFES school in Germany as a teenager. My mother ran the school kitchen. Everyone knew that the school had a dark history during the Nazi period. It was a home for mentally handicapped kids who’d been taken from their parents. Remember my mother coming home upset one day. One of the local kitchen staff had broken down in tears and told her how the kids had disappeared overnight. Kent School Hostert.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Rise of the Nazis on 21:46 - Sep 20 with 1124 viewsGlyn1

Rise of the Nazis on 18:37 - Sep 20 by Treforys_Jack

Perch, Berlin is on my bucket list as is Peenemunde, Wilhelmshaven, and Kiel.

I went to Berlin a couple of months ago and it's beautiful. As a minor criticism there aren't many old buildings, but it's so clean. I was surprised by how small the Berlin Wall was, but I guess it doesn't need to be big if machine gunners are guarding it.

I'd recommend Berlin and Copenhagen after Paris and Amsterdam.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Rise of the Nazis on 23:56 - Sep 20 with 1073 viewshowenjack

Rise of the Nazis on 21:46 - Sep 20 by Glyn1

I went to Berlin a couple of months ago and it's beautiful. As a minor criticism there aren't many old buildings, but it's so clean. I was surprised by how small the Berlin Wall was, but I guess it doesn't need to be big if machine gunners are guarding it.

I'd recommend Berlin and Copenhagen after Paris and Amsterdam.

If you are going to Berlin try and get to the Olympia stadion .It's a fairly long trip from one of the central stations but is well worth it. The stadium , built by the Nazis for the 36 games is a very impressive building even by todays standards . The Olympic roll of honour is still there on the wall with Jesse Owens name on it with all the other winners and their events. Next door is the derelict Olympic swimming pool with high diving boards. Walking around the stadium we came across a massive cast iron bell . It had a shell hole in it .Apparently it used to hang from a bell tower nearby that collapsed in a soviet air raid but it still had a swastika embossed on its side.
Berlin is full of reminders of the war Kurfsturndamm has a derelict church left as a sort of shrine to the dead .it was used by the Germans as a defensive post and is absolutely riddled with bullet holes .There are lots of buildings like this in Berlin.
if you get a chance go to tiagarten also Brandenburg gate, Checkpoint charlie , also the SS museum I think it is near wilhelm Strasse,
Rise of the Nazis on 09:22 - Sep 21 with 1018 viewscontroversial_jack

Rise of the Nazis on 21:10 - Sep 20 by longlostjack

The lessons should never be forgotten. I went to a BFES school in Germany as a teenager. My mother ran the school kitchen. Everyone knew that the school had a dark history during the Nazi period. It was a home for mentally handicapped kids who’d been taken from their parents. Remember my mother coming home upset one day. One of the local kitchen staff had broken down in tears and told her how the kids had disappeared overnight. Kent School Hostert.

I refuse to believe that the Local residents didn't know what was going on in these camps
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024