Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Arthur Koestler. 11:31 - Oct 2 with 2277 viewsLohengrin

I was having a bit of a sort through in the box room yesterday and picked up an old copy of Dialogue With Death. I sat down and leafed through the first dozen pages. Hooked, I went downstairs, put the kettle on, and read the whole thing through again to the end.

Brilliant. It’s still in print and available through your local library.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Arthur Koestler. on 17:08 - Oct 2 with 1885 viewsPegojack

His name only rang a faint 'suicide' bell with me, Loh, so I Wikied him to find out more, as you do.
What an amazing life! I wonder if there is a biography? I'll have to check into it.
Arthur Koestler. on 17:14 - Oct 2 with 1879 viewsLohengrin

Arthur Koestler. on 17:08 - Oct 2 by Pegojack

His name only rang a faint 'suicide' bell with me, Loh, so I Wikied him to find out more, as you do.
What an amazing life! I wonder if there is a biography? I'll have to check into it.

There are a couple of biographies, at least, but I ‘d suggest the place to start are with his two-volume autobiography.

Happy reading.

Arthur Koestler. on 17:17 - Oct 2 with 1867 viewstheloneranger

Arthur Koestler. on 17:08 - Oct 2 by Pegojack

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Arthur Koestler. on 17:20 - Oct 2 with 1874 viewsLohengrin

Arthur Koestler. on 17:17 - Oct 2 by theloneranger

That’s not for the casual reader, it’s fair to warn you if you’re going to tackle it. Scammell took twenty five years writing that and it stretches to about 750 pages.

Arthur Koestler. on 17:43 - Oct 2 with 1848 viewsGreatBritton

Arthur Koestler. on 17:20 - Oct 2 by Lohengrin

That’s not for the casual reader, it’s fair to warn you if you’re going to tackle it. Scammell took twenty five years writing that and it stretches to about 750 pages.

I read Darkness at Noon some fifty odd years ago. Still resonates.
Arthur Koestler. on 22:09 - Oct 2 with 1750 viewsLohengrin

Arthur Koestler. on 17:43 - Oct 2 by GreatBritton

I read Darkness at Noon some fifty odd years ago. Still resonates.

I think that’s how most are introduced to him. Its power hasn’t diminished at all in the intervening years.

Here’s a recommendation for you, sir. It covers the fall of France. If you don’t get something out of this I’ll refund you the money myself...

Arthur Koestler. on 22:31 - Oct 2 with 1736 viewsWarwickHunt

Fûcking. Great. Thread.

Compensates for the Brexit fûckwittery.
Intelligent life on PS...
Arthur Koestler. on 00:49 - Oct 3 with 1699 viewsKerouac

Arthur Koestler. on 22:31 - Oct 2 by WarwickHunt

Fûcking. Great. Thread.

Compensates for the Brexit fûckwittery.
Intelligent life on PS...

Loves a full stop...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Login to get fewer ads

Arthur Koestler. on 09:52 - Oct 3 with 1599 viewsGreatBritton

Arthur Koestler. on 22:09 - Oct 2 by Lohengrin

I think that’s how most are introduced to him. Its power hasn’t diminished at all in the intervening years.

Here’s a recommendation for you, sir. It covers the fall of France. If you don’t get something out of this I’ll refund you the money myself...

I wonder if I could just have two or three hours in your library/study/attic (basement?) one day while you're out at work. I've got a vast collection of books myself (and I've written a few of them) and, unlike a lot of people, I've read most of my collection. But you would appear to have a trove of gems that would make a literary Ali Baba drool. Do you not watch drivel on TV, waste time on social media?
Arthur Koestler. on 10:55 - Oct 3 with 1583 viewsLohengrin

Arthur Koestler. on 09:52 - Oct 3 by GreatBritton

I wonder if I could just have two or three hours in your library/study/attic (basement?) one day while you're out at work. I've got a vast collection of books myself (and I've written a few of them) and, unlike a lot of people, I've read most of my collection. But you would appear to have a trove of gems that would make a literary Ali Baba drool. Do you not watch drivel on TV, waste time on social media?

It sounds like we share a lifelong obsession.

Arthur Koestler. on 11:26 - Oct 3 with 1567 viewslondonlisa2001

Arthur Koestler. on 09:52 - Oct 3 by GreatBritton

“your library/study/attic (basement?) ”

Padded secure unit...
Arthur Koestler. on 11:31 - Oct 3 with 1561 viewsLohengrin

Arthur Koestler. on 11:26 - Oct 3 by londonlisa2001

“your library/study/attic (basement?) ”

Padded secure unit...

Arthur Koestler. on 11:32 - Oct 3 with 1560 viewslondonlisa2001

Arthur Koestler. on 10:55 - Oct 3 by Lohengrin

It sounds like we share a lifelong obsession.

You two should do what I frequently do and spend the afternoon in Daunt books.

Armchairs, thousands of books, and more than happy to allow the dog in as well.

Always packed. It shows that a retail offering which truly differentiates itself is able to rise above the mania for Amazon.
Arthur Koestler. on 11:40 - Oct 3 with 1558 viewsLohengrin

Arthur Koestler. on 11:32 - Oct 3 by londonlisa2001

Always packed. It shows that a retail offering which truly differentiates itself is able to rise above the mania for Amazon.

I’ve been there a few times, didn’t we talk about this not so long back?

I’m in the privileged position of being within striking distance of Hay and I spend a day a month there on average. I stay over quite often. Knitted ties, cask maturated whisky and an open book in front of an open fire at The Swan.

I let the modern world intrude as little as possible.

Arthur Koestler. on 11:47 - Oct 3 with 1550 viewslondonlisa2001

Arthur Koestler. on 11:40 - Oct 3 by Lohengrin

I’ve been there a few times, didn’t we talk about this not so long back?

I’m in the privileged position of being within striking distance of Hay and I spend a day a month there on average. I stay over quite often. Knitted ties, cask maturated whisky and an open book in front of an open fire at The Swan.

I let the modern world intrude as little as possible.

Actually, yes, it rings a bell now you say.

Fantastic shop. That sounds a lovely way to spend a day. Without the whisky. I’m not a fan I’m afraid. Never been able to warm to it. Despite lots of pressure!
Arthur Koestler. on 12:20 - Oct 3 with 1532 viewsWarwickHunt

Arthur Koestler. on 11:32 - Oct 3 by londonlisa2001

Which branch? I used to go to the Notting Hill one when I lived nearby.

The Marylebone one is wonderful - then mull over your purchases at that excellent French steak & frites joint up the road. You and Loh would be like Jean-Paul and Simone in there...
Arthur Koestler. on 12:39 - Oct 3 with 1524 viewsLohengrin

Arthur Koestler. on 12:20 - Oct 3 by WarwickHunt

Which branch? I used to go to the Notting Hill one when I lived nearby.

The Marylebone one is wonderful - then mull over your purchases at that excellent French steak & frites joint up the road. You and Loh would be like Jean-Paul and Simone in there...

I can see it now, mate. Clear as day.

PS: Holland Park she goes.

Arthur Koestler. on 18:36 - Oct 3 with 1472 viewsGreatBritton

This is a lovely thread. No RANCOUR, no cunningly typographically altered expletives, no yah boo bullyboy antics, just a love of words, wisdom and whisky.

The former Queen of Hay is a relative of mine and I once did a reading from a little thing what I wrote at the festival. Lovely place. It's where hardbacks go to die.
Arthur Koestler. on 20:22 - Oct 3 with 1434 viewsLohengrin

Arthur Koestler. on 18:36 - Oct 3 by GreatBritton

This is a lovely thread. No RANCOUR, no cunningly typographically altered expletives, no yah boo bullyboy antics, just a love of words, wisdom and whisky.

The former Queen of Hay is a relative of mine and I once did a reading from a little thing what I wrote at the festival. Lovely place. It's where hardbacks go to die.

I don’t know if you’re aware of this my friend, but Richard Booth passed away about six weeks ago.

Arthur Koestler. on 10:48 - Oct 4 with 1326 viewsGreatBritton

Arthur Koestler. on 20:22 - Oct 3 by Lohengrin

I don’t know if you’re aware of this my friend, but Richard Booth passed away about six weeks ago.

I did know.I'm no fan of those who crusade, but I made an exception for the man who crusaded on behalf of books. When he declared UDI for Hay I considered moving there.
Arthur Koestler. on 10:51 - Oct 4 with 1320 viewsLohengrin

Arthur Koestler. on 10:48 - Oct 4 by GreatBritton

I did know.I'm no fan of those who crusade, but I made an exception for the man who crusaded on behalf of books. When he declared UDI for Hay I considered moving there.

I’m the holder of a Hay passport.

Arthur Koestler. on 14:34 - Oct 4 with 1276 viewsGreatBritton

Arthur Koestler. on 10:51 - Oct 4 by Lohengrin

I’m the holder of a Hay passport.

Do yu think Hay will stay in Europe?
Arthur Koestler. on 14:39 - Oct 4 with 1274 viewsLohengrin

Arthur Koestler. on 14:34 - Oct 4 by GreatBritton

Do yu think Hay will stay in Europe?

I think regardless of the machinations of the workaday world Hay will remain twinned with Brigadoon.

Arthur Koestler. on 16:07 - Oct 4 with 1251 viewsPegojack

Arthur Koestler. on 17:14 - Oct 2 by Lohengrin

There are a couple of biographies, at least, but I ‘d suggest the place to start are with his two-volume autobiography.

Happy reading.

Thank you for the kind recommendation, Loh, but I think I'll start with the biography by Michael Scammell, rather than the autobiography.
I want to see what his take is on allegations of rape against Koestler (by Michael Foot's wife amongst others if I'm not mistaken) and of course the bizarre double suicide.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2019 16:32]
Arthur Koestler. on 16:22 - Oct 4 with 1243 viewsLohengrin

Arthur Koestler. on 16:07 - Oct 4 by Pegojack

Thank you for the kind recommendation, Loh, but I think I'll start with the biography by Michael Scammell, rather than the autobiography.
I want to see what his take is on allegations of rape against Koestler (by Michael Foot's wife amongst others if I'm not mistaken) and of course the bizarre double suicide.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2019 16:32]

You’ll want Cesarani’s biography for the deeply unpleasant aspects.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024