Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Matt Grimes 21:33 - Oct 2 with 21179 viewsCopaMundial

Stealing a living this season.
Matt Grimes on 13:46 - Oct 3 with 3005 viewsSwanseaman

Matt Grimes on 05:12 - Oct 3 by Dr_Winston

Pass success stats are fairly meaningless without context. I'd expect Rodon's figures to be high because the vast majority of his passes are 10-15 yard ones to VdH or a fullback. If we're being honest most of Grimes' passing would probably fall into that category too.

Big difference to last season is that he isn't spreading the play as quickly or as widely as he was then. That's probably more about our style of play and lack of DJ making him less effective than a failing on MG's part, but he does have to adapt his game as a result. Be prepared to carry the ball and break the lines more than he has habitually done.

Combined pass success rating and player rating both say he's in 3rd place overall. So he is playing really well.

If you are saying that he could play even better, fair enough, there is always room to improve.

Poll: Would you have Jenkins back if he found wealthy oil sheikhs to buy out the Yanks

Matt Grimes on 14:38 - Oct 3 with 2961 viewskarnataka

Pass success stats are fairly meaningless without context. I'd expect Rodon's figures to be high because the vast majority of his passes are 10-15 yard ones to VdH or a fullback. If we're being honest most of Grimes' passing would probably fall into that category too.

Big difference to last season is that he isn't spreading the play as quickly or as widely as he was then. That's probably more about our style of play and lack of DJ making him less effective than a failing on MG's part, but he does have to adapt his game as a result. Be prepared to carry the ball and break the lines more than he has habitually done.

I agree that there is a slight tactical change in the way we're set up this season, particularly at the moment, in that we are not playing with conventional wingers such as Dyer, Routledge, Peterson, Kalulu, Garrick etc where Grimes is able to hit one of them with a 40-50 yard diagonal ball when they're already on the move. At the moment we have Celina and Ayew in the wider attacking positions with Bidwell & Roberts overlapping like wing-backs and Celina and Ayew mostly need balls into feet.

Surpised you got down arrowed for that post, seemed a fairly balanced comment to me, but there you go.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2019 14:46]
Matt Grimes on 14:52 - Oct 3 with 2934 viewsBadlands

Should never have been made captain.
No where near the quality he showed last year.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Matt Grimes on 14:55 - Oct 3 with 2926 viewsSwanseaman

Well he made the assist for the winner last night.

Just people singling him out for no reason as I see it.

"Andre Ayew volleyed a Matt Grimes corner in from six yards to take all three points"

Poll: Would you have Jenkins back if he found wealthy oil sheikhs to buy out the Yanks

Matt Grimes on 15:11 - Oct 3 with 2899 viewsDr_Winston

Matt Grimes on 14:38 - Oct 3 by karnataka

I agree that there is a slight tactical change in the way we're set up this season, particularly at the moment, in that we are not playing with conventional wingers such as Dyer, Routledge, Peterson, Kalulu, Garrick etc where Grimes is able to hit one of them with a 40-50 yard diagonal ball when they're already on the move. At the moment we have Celina and Ayew in the wider attacking positions with Bidwell & Roberts overlapping like wing-backs and Celina and Ayew mostly need balls into feet.

Surpised you got down arrowed for that post, seemed a fairly balanced comment to me, but there you go.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2019 14:46]

Yup. That lack of pace and width compared to last season is what can make us a bit static and why the midfield need to recycle and move the ball quicker than we have been to get the best out of us as an attacking unit.

It could change. We've still got the personnel to play wide, but the depth in the middle is giving us a lot of stability and helping us outlast teams. Lots for Cooper to ponder

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Matt Grimes on 15:42 - Oct 3 with 2867 viewsJJJack

But I thought he did exactly that much better last night. Played very well although outshone by Fulton who was absolutely magnificent last night.
Matt Grimes on 15:49 - Oct 3 with 2862 viewsJJJack

Matt Grimes on 15:11 - Oct 3 by Dr_Winston

Yup. That lack of pace and width compared to last season is what can make us a bit static and why the midfield need to recycle and move the ball quicker than we have been to get the best out of us as an attacking unit.

It could change. We've still got the personnel to play wide, but the depth in the middle is giving us a lot of stability and helping us outlast teams. Lots for Cooper to ponder

Agreed - excellent post. I have only been able to make 2 games this season - Forest & Bristol. I'd only seen the Birmingham game previously (plus highlights of course). We struggled to create anything in those 2 games without playing "badly".
I thought we played significantly better last night. They started like a train and we were a bit rattled. AFTER about 25mins , bar the last 5-10 mins (inevitable onslaught by an inform team, at home) we controlled the match with aplomb. The difference with last season's awy performances was staggering. Yes we created less clear cut openings....but we conceded very few and were so much more solid & physical & organised, Cooper is doing an excellent job although the lack of pace is gonna be a problem at the Liberty .
Matt Grimes on 17:14 - Oct 3 with 2819 viewsmonmouth

Matt Grimes on 14:55 - Oct 3 by Swanseaman

Well he made the assist for the winner last night.

Just people singling him out for no reason as I see it.

"Andre Ayew volleyed a Matt Grimes corner in from six yards to take all three points"

Joe headed the f*cker brick across goal. That was the assist.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Login to get fewer ads

Matt Grimes on 17:22 - Oct 3 with 2805 viewsSwanseaman

Matt Grimes on 17:14 - Oct 3 by monmouth

Joe headed the f*cker brick across goal. That was the assist.

Don't blame me, blame the report I read

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/swansea-ace-delivers-message-to-fans-after-imp
[Post edited 3 Oct 2019 17:24]

Matt Grimes on 21:27 - Oct 5 with 2612 viewsDippy

I said it last season and I'll say it again.. having Matt Grimes as our midfield general will see us in mid table.. we seriously need to consider a midfielder in January. Only now you're all twigging onto it.

Poll: Cooper Out

Matt Grimes on 21:38 - Oct 5 with 2604 viewsbuilthjack

Matt Grimes on 21:27 - Oct 5 by Dippy

I said it last season and I'll say it again.. having Matt Grimes as our midfield general will see us in mid table.. we seriously need to consider a midfielder in January. Only now you're all twigging onto it.

I think they all knew it really

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Matt Grimes on 21:51 - Oct 5 with 2584 viewsLandore_Jack

Like a passenger today along with Celina. Both offered the square root of sod all!

#backtojack

Matt Grimes on 08:11 - Oct 6 with 2504 viewsCopaMundial

Sixteen down arrows and it takes a defeat for some people to see some sense, created nothing all season unless of course you regard taking a corner which led to Ayews goal as being creative.

We could easily have lost several other games at home this season, the midfield as a whole is woeful and the fact that some celebrated Byers signing a new contract as if he was Pele shows how deluded some people are.
Matt Grimes on 10:03 - Oct 6 with 2445 viewsSwansea93

Matt Grimes on 21:51 - Oct 5 by Landore_Jack

Like a passenger today along with Celina. Both offered the square root of sod all!

Celina needs to be in the middle, he's so ineffective on the wing.

Poll: Can Montero do it on a rainy Saturday afternoon?

Matt Grimes on 11:07 - Oct 6 with 2412 viewsMorfa_Same

Grimes has improved immeasurably over the last couple of years but he's still just an average Championship player so people need to rein in their expectations. Also he should never be captain. It's one of several very poor calls by Cooper, including persisting with playing our best midfielder by far on the wing.
Matt Grimes on 17:27 - Oct 6 with 2335 viewsTimTtam

Matt Grimes on 11:07 - Oct 6 by Morfa_Same

Grimes has improved immeasurably over the last couple of years but he's still just an average Championship player so people need to rein in their expectations. Also he should never be captain. It's one of several very poor calls by Cooper, including persisting with playing our best midfielder by far on the wing.

He is well below the level he displayed last season. That particular level was almost worthy of a place in a weak PL side. Now he is no where near PL standard, but certainly the talent is there. I just don't think he can handle being the captain as well as the main midfielder. It's not damning; some players just aren't captain material.

Remember, there were several rumors that Everton were interested in him. You don't get your name mentioned alongside Everton for nothing.

My name is Matt
Poll: Best option in regards to the EPL & EFL seasons?

Matt Grimes on 17:48 - Oct 6 with 2318 viewsmonmouth

Matt Grimes on 17:27 - Oct 6 by TimTtam

He is well below the level he displayed last season. That particular level was almost worthy of a place in a weak PL side. Now he is no where near PL standard, but certainly the talent is there. I just don't think he can handle being the captain as well as the main midfielder. It's not damning; some players just aren't captain material.

Remember, there were several rumors that Everton were interested in him. You don't get your name mentioned alongside Everton for nothing.

Oh I don't know. their fans reckon Sigurdsson is their worst buy for 60 years.

Thank God football fans don't go in for hyperbole.

Th PR version needs to be that Grimes 'asks' to give up the captaincy to 'concentrate on his game'. VdH should be captain. Or Naughton when Cooper realises he is our best right back until Connor grows up and kicks on, which I fervently hope he does, or he's going nowhere fast.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Matt Grimes on 18:22 - Oct 6 with 2294 viewsjackrmee

Matt Grimes on 11:07 - Oct 6 by Morfa_Same

Celina has played on the wing most of his career. Only Graham Potter has played him more in the central role. Every single other manager in his senior career has played him more as a winger.

Man City - 2 apps (2 as winger)
FC Twente - 28 apps (19 as winger)
Ipswich - 38 apps (26 as winger)
Swans (Potter) - 42 apps (8 as winger)
Swans (Cooper) - 9 apps (6 as winger)

As I've said before, I prefer him in the middle too, but it's not as clear cut as people say.
4 out of 5 managers have preferred him on the wing, with Mick McCarthy stating in the press that left wing is definitely his best position.
Are they all wrong? Or do they see something we don't?
Add to that the fact that we have better replacements at number 10 this season than LW, so maybe it's best to have there, alongside Dhanda or Byers, instead of any one of our wingers?

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Matt Grimes on 20:15 - Oct 6 with 2250 viewsBadlands

Matt Grimes on 18:22 - Oct 6 by jackrmee

Celina has played on the wing most of his career. Only Graham Potter has played him more in the central role. Every single other manager in his senior career has played him more as a winger.

Man City - 2 apps (2 as winger)
FC Twente - 28 apps (19 as winger)
Ipswich - 38 apps (26 as winger)
Swans (Potter) - 42 apps (8 as winger)
Swans (Cooper) - 9 apps (6 as winger)

As I've said before, I prefer him in the middle too, but it's not as clear cut as people say.
4 out of 5 managers have preferred him on the wing, with Mick McCarthy stating in the press that left wing is definitely his best position.
Are they all wrong? Or do they see something we don't?
Add to that the fact that we have better replacements at number 10 this season than LW, so maybe it's best to have there, alongside Dhanda or Byers, instead of any one of our wingers?

Celina and Ayew are not quick enough to be out and out wingers nor, IMO, is Peterson.
Routledge, Dyer, Garrick, Kalulu and McKay are all quicker than Ayew and Celina who are naturally wide forwards.
I'm not suggesting they are picked ahead but Cooper either needs to find a way of being successful playing a narrow and congested attack or he needs to play wingers as wingers.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Matt Grimes on 20:34 - Oct 22 with 2071 viewsCopaMundial

You can add Fulton to the list as well.
Matt Grimes on 20:47 - Oct 22 with 1998 viewsLeonWasGod

Matt Grimes on 20:34 - Oct 22 by CopaMundial

You can add Fulton to the list as well.

You can add everyone to the list. It’s not really about individuals though, more how they are working together (or not) as a team. Ayew’s a good player, but he’s doing nothing of note either. He’s certainly not working well with Roberts or Dhanda.

Fk knows what they’re doing on the training pitches.
Matt Grimes on 20:48 - Oct 22 with 1994 viewsdonnybackspin

Its Cooper that is stealing a living... F@@@ing clueless selections and tactics.

#GET COOPER OUT
Matt Grimes on 20:52 - Oct 22 with 1977 viewsBillyChong

VDH should have been made Captain this season, VC would have been enough for Grimes at this stage
Matt Grimes on 18:54 - Nov 23 with 1816 viewsCopaMundial

Anybody care to reconsider their opinions?
Matt Grimes on 18:55 - Nov 23 with 1812 viewsFireboy2

Matt Grimes on 18:54 - Nov 23 by CopaMundial

Anybody care to reconsider their opinions?

What about byers?

Grimes needs someone alongside him with experience.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024