Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The late, great Michael Foot. 13:51 - Oct 3 with 2095 viewsLohengrin

If you have a half hour to spare listen to this. The first four minutes or so is just the preamble before he hits his stride, it’s a tour-de-majeste of public speaking.

Youngsters who are used to seeing Johnson and Corbyn’s halting, spluttering displays across the despatch box have no idea of how things used to be, how precipitous the decline.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

The late, great Michael Foot. on 10:49 - Oct 4 with 685 viewsJoe_bradshaw

The late, great Michael Foot. on 10:07 - Oct 4 by Lohengrin

The greatest speakers tailor their presentation to the occasion. He could do that, he did that. You don’t get to be the youngest President of the Oxford Union without the ability to read an audience.

Yes, but the whole point about television is that it's not just the message. The television age meant any message had to be wrapped up in a shiny image with soundbites. He couldn't/ wouldn't do that.

JFK won the presidency in 1960 by knowing and understanding that concept before tired looking Nixon even realised it existed.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

The late, great Michael Foot. on 10:56 - Oct 4 with 674 viewstheloneranger

The late, great Michael Foot. on 10:43 - Oct 4 by Lohengrin

That’s The Sun for you.

I thought it was the Tory MP Kenneth Baker who first penned the insult when Michael Foot became Labour leader.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

The late, great Michael Foot. on 10:58 - Oct 4 with 670 viewsLohengrin

The late, great Michael Foot. on 10:44 - Oct 4 by ladyjack

Gwynfor would have opponents on their feet applauding him after he makes a speech, Gwynfor was a lawyer, small business man, historian, author, political leader for decades, he was of course a highly intelligent intellectual man, Foot was premier league and so was Gwynfor but Gwynfor takes him overall as Gwynfor was better at public speaking and better for not just being a writer like Foot but in Gwynfor's case for being a historian of high repute.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2019 10:47]

Gwynfor Evans was primarily a language campaigner, Tramp. A Christian pacifist whose politics were as socially conservative as the Chapel they emerged from.

You have nothing in common with him or anything he personified. I’m at a complete loss as to what possible connection you think you see?

The late, great Michael Foot. on 11:01 - Oct 4 with 662 viewsWarwickHunt

The late, great Michael Foot. on 10:01 - Oct 4 by monmouth

Bryn, he would shit Corbyns. This was a genuine man of principle, and an intellectual heavyweight, not some Wolfie Smith moron on an ego trip.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2019 17:46]

Beautiful.
The late, great Michael Foot. on 11:01 - Oct 4 with 661 viewsLohengrin

The late, great Michael Foot. on 10:56 - Oct 4 by theloneranger

I thought it was the Tory MP Kenneth Baker who first penned the insult when Michael Foot became Labour leader.

You may well be right.

Remember Baker on Spitting Image? They modelled him as a slug.

The late, great Michael Foot. on 11:02 - Oct 4 with 661 viewsWarwickHunt

The late, great Michael Foot. on 10:58 - Oct 4 by Lohengrin

Gwynfor Evans was primarily a language campaigner, Tramp. A Christian pacifist whose politics were as socially conservative as the Chapel they emerged from.

You have nothing in common with him or anything he personified. I’m at a complete loss as to what possible connection you think you see?

He was Welsh, mun!

Do keep up.
The late, great Michael Foot. on 11:04 - Oct 4 with 650 viewsWarwickHunt

The late, great Michael Foot. on 10:49 - Oct 4 by Joe_bradshaw

Yes, but the whole point about television is that it's not just the message. The television age meant any message had to be wrapped up in a shiny image with soundbites. He couldn't/ wouldn't do that.

JFK won the presidency in 1960 by knowing and understanding that concept before tired looking Nixon even realised it existed.

The infamous seven o'clock shadow.
The late, great Michael Foot. on 11:06 - Oct 4 with 646 viewsLohengrin

The late, great Michael Foot. on 11:02 - Oct 4 by WarwickHunt

He was Welsh, mun!

Do keep up.

You’d think I’d know better by now.

Login to get fewer ads

The late, great Michael Foot. on 11:08 - Oct 4 with 645 viewsladyjack

Now that is what you call a good speaker, full of facts and full of pointers to history and not just Welsh either, Gwynfor puts Foot in the shade.
The late, great Michael Foot. on 11:12 - Oct 4 with 636 viewsladyjack

This is a good one as its only a couple of minutes long - enjoy.
The late, great Michael Foot. on 11:13 - Oct 4 with 629 viewsLohengrin

The late, great Michael Foot. on 10:49 - Oct 4 by Joe_bradshaw

I appreciate what you’re saying but by the same token in 2019 someone outside of the stable-groomed political paddock may well carry particular appeal.

For good or ill we’re seeing evidence of that all over.

The late, great Michael Foot. on 11:20 - Oct 4 with 612 viewsladyjack

Here it is footage from over half a century ago, the crowd is delirious, just look at them they are in awe of Gwynfor, the adoration for that man is incredible.
The late, great Michael Foot. on 11:26 - Oct 4 with 600 viewsLohengrin

The late, great Michael Foot. on 11:20 - Oct 4 by ladyjack

Here it is footage from over half a century ago, the crowd is delirious, just look at them they are in awe of Gwynfor, the adoration for that man is incredible.

Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Gwynfor!

The late, great Michael Foot. on 11:29 - Oct 4 with 593 viewsladyjack

Yes indeed, there is only one Gwynfor Evans.
The late, great Michael Foot. on 11:58 - Oct 4 with 573 viewsladyjack

Gwynfor a man way ahead of his time, blydi red Tories, I've always said it the founding fathers of Labour will be turning in their graves at what has become of their party.
The late, great Michael Foot. on 12:27 - Oct 4 with 555 viewsLohengrin

The late, great Michael Foot. on 11:58 - Oct 4 by ladyjack

Gwynfor a man way ahead of his time, blydi red Tories, I've always said it the founding fathers of Labour will be turning in their graves at what has become of their party.

You realise he’s not citing Hardie by accident, don’t you? Gwynfor is saying there what he always said that the answer to every social ill is to be found in the Protestant reformed religion.

Have you got it into your head he was some sort of left-radical?

The late, great Michael Foot. on 13:11 - Oct 4 with 530 viewsladyjack

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4471679.stm
Foot pays tribute to Gwynfor
The late, great Michael Foot. on 17:43 - Oct 4 with 483 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The late, great Michael Foot. on 09:13 - Oct 4 by WarwickHunt

Being a professional Welsh twàtbasket.

Just a guess like...

Love this

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

The late, great Michael Foot. on 17:54 - Oct 4 with 465 viewsHighjack

I think the one lesson to be learned from this thread is that LadyJack really really really really likes Gwynfor.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

The late, great Michael Foot. on 18:07 - Oct 4 with 458 viewsladyjack

The late, great Michael Foot. on 17:54 - Oct 4 by Highjack

I think the one lesson to be learned from this thread is that LadyJack really really really really likes Gwynfor.

Seems like the opening poster has done 15 posts to my 10 prior to this one, not sure why you don't pick up on him eulogising about Foot ? for my take as great as Foot was Gwynfor was even greater and they came from the same era.
The late, great Michael Foot. on 18:30 - Oct 4 with 447 viewsHighjack

The late, great Michael Foot. on 18:07 - Oct 4 by ladyjack

Seems like the opening poster has done 15 posts to my 10 prior to this one, not sure why you don't pick up on him eulogising about Foot ? for my take as great as Foot was Gwynfor was even greater and they came from the same era.

It’s a thread specifically about Foot you wonky fopdoodle.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

The late, great Michael Foot. on 18:35 - Oct 4 with 442 viewsladyjack

The late, great Michael Foot. on 18:30 - Oct 4 by Highjack

It’s a thread specifically about Foot you wonky fopdoodle.

Who was a politician at the same time as Gwynfor, just pointing out that Gwynfor was the best.
The late, great Michael Foot. on 19:04 - Oct 4 with 426 viewsLohengrin

The late, great Michael Foot. on 18:35 - Oct 4 by ladyjack

Who was a politician at the same time as Gwynfor, just pointing out that Gwynfor was the best.

The late, great Michael Foot. on 20:28 - Oct 4 with 399 viewsladyjack

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024