Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit and the British armed forces 13:19 - Oct 5 with 7976 viewsdickythorpe

I was speaken to an old soldier today and he was saying that the EU want control of our armed forces even after leaving.
Is that right?
By all accounts ex-soldiers are at Hyde Park corner and arriving in great numbers. Media not giving it any exposure yet.
Brexit and the British armed forces on 12:09 - Oct 8 with 1078 viewslondonlisa2001

Brexit and the British armed forces on 12:02 - Oct 8 by A_Fans_Dad

As do MPs
https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1187721/eu-army-british-army-troops-brex

Sorry, as do MPs what?

Are you pretending that people like Mark Francois understand the implications of the various Acts in existence? Or that the Express is giving an undistorted view of events?

On one hand you think Trump is absolutely right when he says that European countries should pay more of their GDP on defence, and then when a European says the same you’re up in arms about it. Make up your mind.
Brexit and the British armed forces on 12:11 - Oct 8 with 1070 viewsJackSomething

Brexit and the British armed forces on 12:02 - Oct 8 by A_Fans_Dad

As do MPs
https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1187721/eu-army-british-army-troops-brex

Small problem that only one MP is quoted and he just happens to be head of the ERG.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Brexit and the British armed forces on 12:23 - Oct 8 with 1050 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Brexit and the British armed forces on 12:09 - Oct 8 by londonlisa2001

Sorry, as do MPs what?

Are you pretending that people like Mark Francois understand the implications of the various Acts in existence? Or that the Express is giving an undistorted view of events?

On one hand you think Trump is absolutely right when he says that European countries should pay more of their GDP on defence, and then when a European says the same you’re up in arms about it. Make up your mind.

How disengenious of you, as you well know we already have an organisation that takes care of European Military safety, it is called NATO.
Which the EU countries have failed to support as they promised to do.
THe EU army is for World Power, they openly admit it, unlike you.
Did you not bother to watch the video?
60,000 troops for the EU "Defence" force to extend the EU's world power politics.
Defence force my arse, they openly admit they want to be a world player.
Brexit and the British armed forces on 12:29 - Oct 8 with 1038 viewslondonlisa2001

Brexit and the British armed forces on 12:23 - Oct 8 by A_Fans_Dad

How disengenious of you, as you well know we already have an organisation that takes care of European Military safety, it is called NATO.
Which the EU countries have failed to support as they promised to do.
THe EU army is for World Power, they openly admit it, unlike you.
Did you not bother to watch the video?
60,000 troops for the EU "Defence" force to extend the EU's world power politics.
Defence force my arse, they openly admit they want to be a world player.

Firstly, I’ve already pointed out that 22 EU countries are part of NATO.

Secondly, our forces can only be part of any EU force with a referendum.

As an aside, I would personally prefer us to be well away from the acts of the idiot in the White House, but that’s just me. We would all have a vote on it.

I give up. You are either deliberately distorting the facts, or you simply don’t understand.
Brexit and the British armed forces on 13:01 - Oct 8 with 992 viewscontroversial_jack

Brexit and the British armed forces on 13:15 - Oct 6 by bluey_the_blue

Yes, dismantle NATO which did more in the Balkans the EU nations...

Let's see how good NATO and the UN is if Turkey starts bombing the Turks now that the Yanks have pulled out of Syria
Brexit and the British armed forces on 13:13 - Oct 8 with 981 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Brexit and the British armed forces on 13:01 - Oct 8 by controversial_jack

Let's see how good NATO and the UN is if Turkey starts bombing the Turks now that the Yanks have pulled out of Syria

What has NATO got to do with Syria?
Perhaps you meant the UN?
Brexit and the British armed forces on 13:19 - Oct 8 with 975 viewsHighjack

Brexit and the British armed forces on 13:01 - Oct 8 by controversial_jack

If Turkey starts bombing the Turks then we know we’ve entered the twilight zone.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Brexit and the British armed forces on 13:19 - Oct 8 with 975 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Brexit and the British armed forces on 12:00 - Oct 8 by londonlisa2001

It really is simple. We have an absolute veto over whether our troops join any EU armed force. We can only give up that veto via a referendum. We can only join an EU army via a referendum.

22 EU countries are already part of NATO ( a force that you seemingly have no objection to, despite the insane ramblings of the whackjob inhabiting the White House). Many EU countries have an officially ‘neutral’ position, so would object far more than us to any ‘army’.

However, if the French and Germans (as an example) want to combine forces, so what? It has nothing to do with us.

This constant stream of ignorant sh*t is beyond a joke. You really will believe absolutely anything.

Well perhaps you can explain to everybody reading this how the "absolute veto" works under May's and Johnson's WA deal?
Seeing as the article is not talking about the status quo with us in the EU, but how both the deals take us out of the EU and relenquishes the right to even a vote let alone a veto, but leave us with the requirement to support the EDU.
Which is why the concern was raised
Login to get fewer ads

Brexit and the British armed forces on 13:36 - Oct 8 with 962 viewsUxbridge

There's a lot about this thread, and that article that is either patently a lie or just batshit mental, but the bit I don't get is why on earth is anyone talking about May's deal? The one thing we know is that that's dead in a ditch.

This shameful use of our servicemen and women is a new low though. Fair play.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Brexit and the British armed forces on 13:44 - Oct 8 with 955 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Brexit and the British armed forces on 13:19 - Oct 8 by Highjack

If Turkey starts bombing the Turks then we know we’ve entered the twilight zone.

Turks have been bombing Turks for years, where have you been?
Only Kurdish Turks of course.
Brexit and the British armed forces on 13:50 - Oct 8 with 950 viewscontroversial_jack

Brexit and the British armed forces on 13:13 - Oct 8 by A_Fans_Dad

What has NATO got to do with Syria?
Perhaps you meant the UN?

Nato intervened in the Balkans why not in Syria?
Brexit and the British armed forces on 13:54 - Oct 8 with 943 viewsLohengrin

Brexit and the British armed forces on 13:50 - Oct 8 by controversial_jack

The Russian military was threadbare in the ‘90s, it isn’t now.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Brexit and the British armed forces on 14:14 - Oct 8 with 924 viewscontroversial_jack

Brexit and the British armed forces on 13:54 - Oct 8 by Lohengrin

The Russian military was threadbare in the ‘90s, it isn’t now.

Yes, it's a a match for anyone now
Brexit and the British armed forces on 14:30 - Oct 8 with 919 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Brexit and the British armed forces on 13:50 - Oct 8 by controversial_jack

It did so in the Balkans in the support of the UN, probably because it was in Europe.
Brexit and the British armed forces on 23:56 - Oct 11 with 778 viewshowenjack

https://www.bruceonpolitics.com/2019/09/23/proof-the-eu-really-is-shit/
Brexit and the British armed forces (n/t) on 00:41 - Oct 12 with 758 viewsHumpty

Brexit and the British armed forces on 23:56 - Oct 11 by howenjack

https://www.bruceonpolitics.com/2019/09/23/proof-the-eu-really-is-shit/

Jesus. Have you just read that article or have you actually looked at the rest of the site?
[Post edited 12 Oct 2019 0:42]
Brexit and the British armed forces (n/t) on 10:06 - Oct 12 with 696 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Brexit and the British armed forces (n/t) on 00:41 - Oct 12 by Humpty

Jesus. Have you just read that article or have you actually looked at the rest of the site?
[Post edited 12 Oct 2019 0:42]

Don't knock the site, knock his data.
Show counterpoints that disprove what he writes.
Brexit and the British armed forces on 16:54 - Oct 12 with 624 viewsCatullus

I don't know what this site is all about, I have only seen this article about the veto,

https://euobserver.com/institutional/139630

It is plain however that the EU is actively trying to take away or find a way around the vetoes. Verhofstadt is continually shouting that the EU needs more power, to take more sovereignty from member states and keep it in Brussels.

I cannot believe that someone said a "united states of Europe" is decades away so we can choose to leave in the future. If we choose to stay now we may never again be offered a chance to vote on it.
Technically the referendum was advisory yes but we were promised the result would be respected and carried through.
It makes you wonder who the idiots are, those that want to leave before the EU takes full control or those that say we must remain because those things will never happen but we can choose to leave in the future if they should?

Is the EU trying to form it's own army, this is what a German media outlet says, https://www.handelsblatt.com/today/opinion/ursula-von-der-leyen-europe-is-formin

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Brexit and the British armed forces on 17:04 - Oct 12 with 618 viewsexiledclaseboy

Brexit and the British armed forces on 16:54 - Oct 12 by Catullus

I don't know what this site is all about, I have only seen this article about the veto,

It is plain however that the EU is actively trying to take away or find a way around the vetoes. Verhofstadt is continually shouting that the EU needs more power, to take more sovereignty from member states and keep it in Brussels.

I cannot believe that someone said a "united states of Europe" is decades away so we can choose to leave in the future. If we choose to stay now we may never again be offered a chance to vote on it.
Technically the referendum was advisory yes but we were promised the result would be respected and carried through.
It makes you wonder who the idiots are, those that want to leave before the EU takes full control or those that say we must remain because those things will never happen but we can choose to leave in the future if they should?

Is the EU trying to form it's own army, this is what a German media outlet says, https://www.handelsblatt.com/today/opinion/ursula-von-der-leyen-europe-is-formin

The article you linked to is two years old. News flash - the veto still exists.

Also, the Swans got relegated in case you missed that as well.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2019 17:04]

Poll: Tory leader

Brexit and the British armed forces on 17:07 - Oct 12 with 614 viewslondonlisa2001

For about the tenth time, the European Union Act of 2011 writes in to UK law events that would require a referendum of the British public before they could be changed. One such event is our veto. Another is the Euro. Another is a EU army.

There will be things that countries who want more integration will do that we will not be a part of. There will be no point at which we’ll be part of it, unless we want to be.

Can it be done? Part of the EU being more integrated and us outside that? Many keep saying no. Anything that happens in France and Germany will HAVE to happen here they scream. It’s nonsense. Have a look in your wallet and see what currency is in there.
Brexit and the British armed forces on 17:18 - Oct 12 with 607 viewsCatullus

Brexit and the British armed forces on 17:04 - Oct 12 by exiledclaseboy

The article you linked to is two years old. News flash - the veto still exists.

Also, the Swans got relegated in case you missed that as well.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2019 17:04]

Newflash, we voted to leave the EU 3 years ago but we are still there. Because something is old, it does not make it wrong. However, here you go, this one is only several weeks old,

https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/09/05/europe-is-ready-for-its-own-army/

There are loads of articles about this, the EU has been discussing having it's own army from even before Nick Clegg said there wouldn't be one. That they are still talking about it, that the idea hasn't gone away, does that make anyone think it might actually be possible?

"The current debate on the issue primarily stems from a widely publicised radio interview with French President Emmanuel Macron. In the interview, Macron called for a “real European army” as part of his idea for “L’Europe qui protège” (a Europe that protects). German chancellor Angela Merkel reiterated the idea shortly after in a speech at the European Parliament: “we have to look at the vision of one day creating a real, true European army,” she told MEPs in Strasbourg."

That's taken from ecfr.eu. It also says there is wilful misunderstanding, caused by Macron and Merkels words but as they are the real power brokers in the EU, it's no wonder people have concerns.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Brexit and the British armed forces on 17:36 - Oct 12 with 602 viewsGroo

"I cannot believe that someone said a "united states of Europe" is decades away so we can choose to leave in the future."

We've seen how difficult it is to leave now, internal and external forces determined to block the exit.

To me its now or never, if the UK cannot leave now, may as well start using the Euro and go full in.

Groo does what Groo does best

Brexit and the British armed forces on 17:38 - Oct 12 with 599 viewsWarwickHunt

Brexit and the British armed forces on 17:36 - Oct 12 by Groo

"I cannot believe that someone said a "united states of Europe" is decades away so we can choose to leave in the future."

We've seen how difficult it is to leave now, internal and external forces determined to block the exit.

To me its now or never, if the UK cannot leave now, may as well start using the Euro and go full in.

What’s it to you, moosefûcker?
Brexit and the British armed forces on 17:41 - Oct 12 with 599 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Brexit and the British armed forces on 17:07 - Oct 12 by londonlisa2001

For about the tenth time, the European Union Act of 2011 writes in to UK law events that would require a referendum of the British public before they could be changed. One such event is our veto. Another is the Euro. Another is a EU army.

There will be things that countries who want more integration will do that we will not be a part of. There will be no point at which we’ll be part of it, unless we want to be.

Can it be done? Part of the EU being more integrated and us outside that? Many keep saying no. Anything that happens in France and Germany will HAVE to happen here they scream. It’s nonsense. Have a look in your wallet and see what currency is in there.

Tell that to the EU.
You actually believe that the EU can't just write another law overturning the European Union Act of 2011 as the EU is the higher authority.
You also have to be allowed in an EU Leaders meeting to be able to use a Veto, when was the last time a UK Leader was allowed to attend one involving Brexit or any major EU decisions?
They are already called EU27 leaders meetings.

Then of course there is this little gem which I haven't been right through, I will leave that to you.

"Textual Amendments applied to the whole legislation

F1 Act repealed (4.7.2018 for the repeal of ss. 1-13, 14(1), 15(1), Sch. 1 and on exit day in so far as not already in force) by European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018 (c. 16), s. 25(4), Sch. 9 (with s. 19, Sch. 8 para. 37); S.I. 2018/808, regs. 3(i), 4 (with reg. 8)"

Except of course Mays WA did not actually have us leaving the EU and I doubt if Johnson's is any better,
Brexit and the British armed forces on 17:46 - Oct 12 with 595 viewslondonlisa2001

Brexit and the British armed forces on 17:41 - Oct 12 by A_Fans_Dad

Tell that to the EU.
You actually believe that the EU can't just write another law overturning the European Union Act of 2011 as the EU is the higher authority.
You also have to be allowed in an EU Leaders meeting to be able to use a Veto, when was the last time a UK Leader was allowed to attend one involving Brexit or any major EU decisions?
They are already called EU27 leaders meetings.

Then of course there is this little gem which I haven't been right through, I will leave that to you.

"Textual Amendments applied to the whole legislation

F1 Act repealed (4.7.2018 for the repeal of ss. 1-13, 14(1), 15(1), Sch. 1 and on exit day in so far as not already in force) by European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018 (c. 16), s. 25(4), Sch. 9 (with s. 19, Sch. 8 para. 37); S.I. 2018/808, regs. 3(i), 4 (with reg. 8)"

Except of course Mays WA did not actually have us leaving the EU and I doubt if Johnson's is any better,

Oh dear God.

It’s pointless.

You are unable to understand basic principles. Basic arguments. There is absolutely no comprehension. I’m sorry, as I don’t mean to be rude, but you are arguing about concepts that you just don’t seem to understand. Even slightly.

I can’t be bothered any longer.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024