Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mediocre Championship/Promotion 09:33 - Oct 6 with 6559 viewsChrisSCFC

Can't say if it's the "worst ever" or not but the standard across the division is so poor that despite our glaring weaknesses I think we're still a solid candidate for promotion.

Should we manage to go up with Steve Cooper this season we really would have more chance of seeing Elvis alive than actually be competitive, it's hard to imagine the owners financing the complete overhaul of the squad that we'd need to win games playing 'his' style in the Premier League, we'd more likely end up with Rooney, Leroy Fer and a few England U-17's

We had a far better squad back in 2011 featuring Scott Sinclair & a midfield and we weren't given a sniff then, that crop went on to overachieve massively but the talent just isn't there this time around.

Maybe Cooper would unearth half a dozen absolute gems in the transfer window but however limited the sample size his track record in that area hasn't exactly been out of this world so far, whether or not he has the contacts of a Brendan Rodgers is hard to say but he just doesn't seem to have the personality of the man which I think is a key point, he might have been "cringeworthy" at times but he elevated the players to perform beyond their collective ability... not sure he himself with the nation behind him + God on his side could elevate the likes of Byers + Fulton into competent Premier League midfielders by next August mind you.

Uppa Swans.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2019 9:35]
Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 17:43 - Oct 6 with 1392 viewsmonmouth

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 17:41 - Oct 6 by TimTtam

We can take the piss all we want about Cardiff's playing style, but their financial decision-making in terms of August signings, was spot on. You didn't spend much and bought a few duds, but it allowed you a shot at survival and ensured if you were relegated, that you would have plenty of money left. That financial situation has become clouded recently, but to begin with the right financial approach was made.

Fulham's approach was disgraceful. Aston Villa have copied them. I so hope that Villa go down. The teams that got both teams promoted were essentially decimated.

Luckily I'm not, but if I was in change of Swansea and we got promoted, I would spend very little on players/wages, and instead spend the money on the academy and/or a stadium expansion. It can be done. Look at Burnley. Played Europa League last season, and now they're back to 7th again.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2019 17:42]

What do you mean if they got relegated? Their relegation is always confirmed on the day they get promoted.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 17:46 - Oct 6 with 1376 viewsTimTtam

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 17:43 - Oct 6 by monmouth

What do you mean if they got relegated? Their relegation is always confirmed on the day they get promoted.

Did you see their PL results? There were so many dog-like wins. Stoppage time winners were their forté.

Seriously, they could've managed to stayed up, with the way Brighton decided to park the bus for half a season.

My name is Matt
Poll: Best option in regards to the EPL & EFL seasons?

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 17:50 - Oct 6 with 1376 viewsmonmouth

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 17:46 - Oct 6 by TimTtam

Did you see their PL results? There were so many dog-like wins. Stoppage time winners were their forté.

Seriously, they could've managed to stayed up, with the way Brighton decided to park the bus for half a season.

Nah. Nailed on. It's what they do.

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 17:59 - Oct 6 with 1361 viewsladyjack

We can take the piss all we want about Cardiff's playing style, but their financial decision-making in terms of August signings, was spot on. You didn't spend much and bought a few duds, but it allowed you a shot at survival and ensured if you were relegated, that you would have plenty of money left. That financial situation has become clouded recently, but to begin with the right financial approach was made.

Fulham's approach was disgraceful. Aston Villa have copied them. I so hope that Villa go down. The teams that got both teams promoted were essentially decimated.

Luckily I'm not, but if I was in change of Swansea and we got promoted, I would spend very little on players/wages, and instead spend the money on the academy and/or a stadium expansion. It can be done. Look at Burnley. Played Europa League last season, and now they're back to 7th again.

I too would be prudent in Swansea's case but I would not say Aston Villa approach was disgraceful, Villa is a big club with a large potential upside, as regards their backers they pay their money and make their choice.
Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 18:05 - Oct 6 with 1342 viewsbluey_the_blue

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 17:59 - Oct 6 by ladyjack

I too would be prudent in Swansea's case but I would not say Aston Villa approach was disgraceful, Villa is a big club with a large potential upside, as regards their backers they pay their money and make their choice.

Do you know anything about VIlla?

Ignore the money Terry wrote off ( was on 90k a week ) because they couldn't afford to pay it.
Ignore the sale of the stadium at massively inflated price to get round FFP...

Dodgy. As. Fvck.
Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 18:14 - Oct 6 with 1341 viewsladyjack

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 18:05 - Oct 6 by bluey_the_blue

Ignore the money Terry wrote off ( was on 90k a week ) because they couldn't afford to pay it.

Dodgy. As. Fvck.

Yes Aston Villa won the European Cup and used to host FA Cup semi finals at their ground and they are located in the second biggest city in the United Kingdom with only one other club in their immediate area and Villa are bigger than them.
If a team of Villa's stature get it right its not beyond the realms of possibility that one day they could again [although the names of the comps have changed] win the Premier league and Champions league.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2019 18:14]
Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 19:52 - Oct 6 with 1310 viewssideline

Dodgy. As. Fvck.

wasn't it derby that sold the stadium to get around ffp,not villa?
Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 19:59 - Oct 6 with 1303 viewsDr_Winston

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 19:52 - Oct 6 by sideline

Think Villa did it too.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Login to get fewer ads

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 20:03 - Oct 6 with 1296 viewsLeonWasGod

They didn’t have a lot of choice after breaking the bank trying to stay up and the bounce back the time before. Their debts are huge.
Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 20:19 - Oct 6 with 1282 viewssideline

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 19:59 - Oct 6 by Dr_Winston

Think Villa did it too.

stand corrected if true,
Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 01:41 - Oct 7 with 1189 viewsTimTtam

Dodgy. As. Fvck.

Absolutely.

In theory, had Villa not gone up, they would have been in trouble. And I say in theory, because they would have simply thrown more money around and signed more overseas players on loan.

One of many 'big' clubs that try to buy the PL at every opportunity.

My name is Matt
Poll: Best option in regards to the EPL & EFL seasons?

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 06:00 - Oct 7 with 1164 viewsCaptain_Sham

We have decent shot at the playoffs, which will represent progress from last season with, at best, a similar quality of squad.
That's as far as my expectations ever went.
"An expectation is a reservation for resentment" someone far wiser than me once told me. He may have been on to something. It seems that the biggest moaners are the ones who predicted promotion after 4 games. Funny that.

Its just a ride.

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 06:03 - Oct 7 with 1162 viewsdameedna

Marko Grucic is out on loan from Liverpool. He would fit the bill, tall and a battler. We may well need a steadying influence come January. Wouldnt be surprided if we get offers for Ayew and Baston.
Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 08:28 - Oct 7 with 1126 viewsSTID2017

Mediocre league, all teams average at best, in the words of the old Kit Kat advert "We'll go far"
Seen nothing to be afraid of In this league when we are on our game.
Staying on our game, that's the challenge.
I think we'll go up automatically (awaits pelters)

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 09:11 - Oct 7 with 1118 viewsbluey_the_blue

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 06:03 - Oct 7 by dameedna

Marko Grucic is out on loan from Liverpool. He would fit the bill, tall and a battler. We may well need a steadying influence come January. Wouldnt be surprided if we get offers for Ayew and Baston.

Grujic is crap. Battler? Arf!

Tall, doesn't like heading. No pace whatsoever, soon as midfielder goes past him, grabs shirt / brings player down, voila dumb yellow card. We watched him try to do endless tricks each game, losing possession in own half...

You can get better.
Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 10:52 - Oct 7 with 1084 viewstheloneranger

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 19:52 - Oct 6 by sideline

September 2019

"Aston Villa's sale of Villa Park to the club's owners is to be scrutinised by the Premier League, to establish whether it may have breached financial fair play rules.

The stadium was sold in May for £56.7m to owners Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens via NSWE Stadium Ltd, a company controlled by the two billionaires".

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 17:47 - Oct 7 with 1019 viewskarnataka

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 16:38 - Oct 6 by dickythorpe

Gosh they were far stronger than us in the midfield and had more fight.
They'll be alright.

Agreed, but we could and should have made it far more difficult for them rather than back off and allow them to dictate the game. I said it after the Reading game that every team in this division has at least some good players and if you allow them to play, they will. And we proved that against Reading and Stoke but Stoke definitely have more good players than Reading. The teams who succeed are the ones that don't allow the oppositions good players the chance to dictate the play too often.
Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 20:13 - Oct 7 with 997 viewssideline

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 10:52 - Oct 7 by theloneranger

September 2019

"Aston Villa's sale of Villa Park to the club's owners is to be scrutinised by the Premier League, to establish whether it may have breached financial fair play rules.

The stadium was sold in May for £56.7m to owners Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens via NSWE Stadium Ltd, a company controlled by the two billionaires".

oh right thanks for that,
Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 20:30 - Oct 7 with 973 viewsFlashberryjack

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 06:03 - Oct 7 by dameedna

Offers for Ayew aI can see, Baston no.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 07:50 - Oct 8 with 898 views34dfgdf54

Honestly believe our promotion winning side under Brendan would have won this league at a canter. The standard is dropping every season, or at least it seems that way.
Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 10:51 - Oct 8 with 859 viewsJacket

I have to say, I agree the standard of the Championship has been very poor in the past three seasons. Ever since the current tv rights deal came in, things gave taken a nose dive in the bottom half of the Premier League and the Championship. The fact Cardiff got promoted two seasons ago and the fact we almost stayed up despite being absolutely dire shows how things have taken a turn for the worst. Teams in the main are going up ill-equipped for the step up, but yet some manage to stay up by the skins of their teeth due to the dire teams already up there. The teams that have gone up in the past few seasons with the exception of Wolves have all struggled to varying degrees. That was not the case a few seasons ago.
Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 11:08 - Oct 8 with 854 viewsdickythorpe

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 07:50 - Oct 8 by 34dfgdf54

Honestly believe our promotion winning side under Brendan would have won this league at a canter. The standard is dropping every season, or at least it seems that way.

We were by far a more attacking and confident side. Our midfield and defence worked in unison and we were more vocal and animated under Brendan.

Look at Joe Allen on Saturday , he was visibly talking/shouting throughout and that keeps the intensity/focus up.
Not many of ours looked animated and some I think go through the motions.
Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 15:44 - Oct 8 with 801 viewsJacket

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 11:08 - Oct 8 by dickythorpe

We were by far a more attacking and confident side. Our midfield and defence worked in unison and we were more vocal and animated under Brendan.

Look at Joe Allen on Saturday , he was visibly talking/shouting throughout and that keeps the intensity/focus up.
Not many of ours looked animated and some I think go through the motions.

Agree about the lack of intensity. We saw in the first minute what happened when a player ran directly at their defence, and yet no attempt was made to repeat this in the remaining 89 mins. Two goals conceded on the rebound also suggests that a lack of intensity / concentration is costing us heavily. This is not a strong league this season, arguably even weaker than last season. An improvement in these little details would see us being promoted automatically. While I'm not one of those who reckons we'll finish in the bottom half, missing out on the play-offs is a possibility, but it can be averted with a few small improvements.
Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 16:02 - Oct 8 with 793 viewskarnataka

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 15:44 - Oct 8 by Jacket

Agree about the lack of intensity. We saw in the first minute what happened when a player ran directly at their defence, and yet no attempt was made to repeat this in the remaining 89 mins. Two goals conceded on the rebound also suggests that a lack of intensity / concentration is costing us heavily. This is not a strong league this season, arguably even weaker than last season. An improvement in these little details would see us being promoted automatically. While I'm not one of those who reckons we'll finish in the bottom half, missing out on the play-offs is a possibility, but it can be averted with a few small improvements.

When Celina plays in the middle, he will run at defences especially if there's nothing else on.

What would rather have, a proper winger on the left with Celina in the middle doing what he does best or Celina on the left with either Dhanda or Byers in the middle? Sounds like a no-brainer to me.
Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 19:06 - Oct 8 with 762 viewsmonmouth

Mediocre Championship/Promotion on 16:02 - Oct 8 by karnataka

When Celina plays in the middle, he will run at defences especially if there's nothing else on.

What would rather have, a proper winger on the left with Celina in the middle doing what he does best or Celina on the left with either Dhanda or Byers in the middle? Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

In that case, ask A Fans Dad or Jango.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024