Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Team Captain 12:07 - Oct 7 with 2842 viewsOldjack

The team captain of an association football team, sometimes known as the skipper, is a team member chosen to be the on-pitch leader of the team: it is often one of the older/or more experienced members of the squad, or a player that can heavily influence a game or have good leadership qualities

I saw glimpses of that coming out of Ayew on Saturday ,during the game and especially after went 1-2 down , I saw jack shyte coming from Grimes the whole game apart from bouts of laziness and his static admiration of his now and again decent pass ,plus his glaring non tackling when the going gets tough ,he needs to take a leaf out of Joe's book

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Team Captain on 12:21 - Oct 7 with 1997 viewsSwanjaxs

Take the captain's armband off Grimes and hand it back to VDH, the responsibility is affecting his game, not a criticism of Cooper it's just not working

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Team Captain on 12:26 - Oct 7 with 1976 viewsOldjack

Team Captain on 12:21 - Oct 7 by Swanjaxs

Take the captain's armband off Grimes and hand it back to VDH, the responsibility is affecting his game, not a criticism of Cooper it's just not working

Or Ayew ,after they scored their second he was the first one back to the centre circle whilst waving his arms up the air trying to gee the rest of the team up ,that's a captains job !

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Team Captain on 13:03 - Oct 7 with 1905 viewsNeath_Jack

Team Captain on 12:26 - Oct 7 by Oldjack

Or Ayew ,after they scored their second he was the first one back to the centre circle whilst waving his arms up the air trying to gee the rest of the team up ,that's a captains job !

Ayew was like that from 10 seconds into the game in fairness to him.

Not that I'm agreeing with you that he should be the captain mind. I don't think it makes a difference who the captain is anymore. Just look at Ash Williams, shite leader on the pitch but we done ok with him there.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Team Captain on 13:08 - Oct 7 with 1893 viewsoldcob

Team Captain on 13:03 - Oct 7 by Neath_Jack

Not that I'm agreeing with you that he should be the captain mind. I don't think it makes a difference who the captain is anymore. Just look at Ash Williams, shite leader on the pitch but we done ok with him there.

Do you really think Ash was a shite captain? Amazing. So bad he was captain of our country as well.
Team Captain on 13:14 - Oct 7 with 1872 viewsNeath_Jack

Team Captain on 13:08 - Oct 7 by oldcob

Do you really think Ash was a shite captain? Amazing. So bad he was captain of our country as well.

Yes i do.

That's all i can think is that he was amazing in the changing room.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Team Captain on 13:15 - Oct 7 with 1871 viewsjack247

Ayew and VdH are the only natural leaders in the team. They both looked likely to leave in the summer, so Grimes was a reasonable choice.

Taking the captaincy off him, after the start we have had, although I can understand the logic, may do more harm than good
Team Captain on 13:15 - Oct 7 with 1868 viewsdickythorpe

Oh dear .
Team Captain on 13:22 - Oct 7 with 1864 viewsNWSwans

Andre Ayew has gone from scum of the earth to natural leader in 14 months

Christ on a bike.
Login to get fewer ads

Team Captain on 13:33 - Oct 7 with 1843 viewsswancity

Team Captain on 13:03 - Oct 7 by Neath_Jack

Whereas in fact Ashley was an excellent captain and leader by example of men out on that pitch both for Swansea and Wales.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Team Captain on 13:35 - Oct 7 with 1838 viewsjack247

Team Captain on 13:22 - Oct 7 by NWSwans

Christ on a bike.

It’s less than that. He’d still be off in January if he got a decent offer.

He’s still a natural leader on the pitch, it’s pretty hard not to notice.
Team Captain on 13:41 - Oct 7 with 1826 viewskrunchykarrot

Wouldn't have Ayew in my team let alone captain, have you all lost your minds. As for MG he is going through a dip in form and needs backing, not some big time charlie undermining him.
Team Captain on 13:43 - Oct 7 with 1823 viewsjack247

Team Captain on 13:41 - Oct 7 by krunchykarrot

Wouldn't have Ayew in my team let alone captain, have you all lost your minds. As for MG he is going through a dip in form and needs backing, not some big time charlie undermining him.

Why not? He’s easily one of our best players. If we’re paying him massive wages we may as well play him.
Team Captain on 13:45 - Oct 7 with 1820 viewsNWSwans

Team Captain on 13:35 - Oct 7 by jack247

It’s less than that. He’d still be off in January if he got a decent offer.

He’s still a natural leader on the pitch, it’s pretty hard not to notice.

Natural leader with his talent maybe, just because he animated and screams and shouts does not make him Mr Motivator,
Team Captain on 13:49 - Oct 7 with 1812 viewsjack247

Team Captain on 13:45 - Oct 7 by NWSwans

Natural leader with his talent maybe, just because he animated and screams and shouts does not make him Mr Motivator,

No, because that would just be a tantrum. The fact that he chases lost causes, scraps for every ball and leads by example does.

Whatever you think of him off the pitch (and I’m pretty sure I’d agree with your sentiments), he is completely committed on it.
Team Captain on 13:53 - Oct 7 with 1800 viewskrunchykarrot

Team Captain on 13:43 - Oct 7 by jack247

Why not? He’s easily one of our best players. If we’re paying him massive wages we may as well play him.

Jack Ive watched him over the years, not last 2 matches (got the lurghi) i admit so cannot comment on current form scored twice i know.
I suggest other than a cut inside here and there he does not justify his inflated wages or opinion of himself.
Ive posted on here before that his situation and attitude could destabilize our side, get rid of in Jan if possible but that might be difficult.

I would rather develop our younger squad.
Team Captain on 13:55 - Oct 7 with 1799 viewsNWSwans

Team Captain on 13:49 - Oct 7 by jack247

No, because that would just be a tantrum. The fact that he chases lost causes, scraps for every ball and leads by example does.

Whatever you think of him off the pitch (and I’m pretty sure I’d agree with your sentiments), he is completely committed on it.

He does what he is paid to do, getting stuck in is Ayews game, and the fact hes probably on more then double 95% of the squad, i expect him to earn it.

Mike VDH is all round a better captain for me.
Team Captain on 13:57 - Oct 7 with 1795 viewsSwanjaxs

Team Captain on 13:41 - Oct 7 by krunchykarrot

Grimes isn't a natural leader imho and the extra responsibility is weighing him down (again imho)
For whatever reason it isn't working out for him.
Take the captaincy off him and I think we'll see an upturn in his performance.

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Team Captain on 14:04 - Oct 7 with 1782 viewsBobbyBacala

I've never really understood the fuss on who is captain and who isn't - Ayew is able and willing to lead and inspire perfectly well without a bit of fabric around his bicep. Liverpool when they had Gerrard and Carragher was a good example: Gerrard would be the one wearing the armband, but Carragher was the one gee-ing the others up, telling them what to do.

People can lead in different ways, for all we know Grimes gives awe-inspiring speeches in the dressing room, while Ayew doesn't. Maybe Ayew can't be bothered with the media responsibilities that being captain entails.

It does seem to be a particularly British obsession - in other countries they just give the band to the eldest/most capped player (as someone else mentioned). Ideally you should have 2/3 players in a team with that that type of personality who lead anyway.
Team Captain on 14:07 - Oct 7 with 1774 viewsandrew

Team Captain on 13:22 - Oct 7 by NWSwans

Christ on a bike.

Who said he was scum of the earth? It wasn’t his fault he had a huge contract and the club wanted him gone.

Poll: Can’t see the new guy coming in to sit on the bench so, who’s off?

Team Captain on 14:11 - Oct 7 with 1769 viewsjack247

Team Captain on 13:55 - Oct 7 by NWSwans

He does what he is paid to do, getting stuck in is Ayews game, and the fact hes probably on more then double 95% of the squad, i expect him to earn it.

Mike VDH is all round a better captain for me.

I don’t disagree with your last sentence. All things being equal VdH would be my choice too. At this moment in time however, I wouldn’t take it from Grimes.

We weren’t debating how much Ayew is paid or what his natural game is. He’s a leader on the pitch in my opinion. If yours differs, so be it.
Team Captain on 14:22 - Oct 7 with 1743 viewsBadlands

Grimes had an extent season last year but showed no signs of being captain material.
This illustrates how populism doesn't work.
Similar happened with Monk, popular choice for many but isn't work.
At the moment only Ayew has the passion to lead and the quality and attitude to inspire.
Sometimes strong and silent makes for a good leader but Grimes is just silent.
Relieve him of the pressure of captaincy and see if his game improves because, in terms of playing, I'd rather see Carroll fill Grimes' position.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Team Captain on 14:35 - Oct 7 with 1725 viewsNWSwans

Team Captain on 14:11 - Oct 7 by jack247

I don’t disagree with your last sentence. All things being equal VdH would be my choice too. At this moment in time however, I wouldn’t take it from Grimes.

We weren’t debating how much Ayew is paid or what his natural game is. He’s a leader on the pitch in my opinion. If yours differs, so be it.

I wouldn't take it off Grimes, no telling how damaging that will be to the lads confidence
[Post edited 7 Oct 2019 14:35]
Team Captain on 14:37 - Oct 7 with 1721 viewsTimTtam

While I would give it to Mike, you make a good point. I totally forgot about his leadership qualities. He's the Ghana captain and their fans love him to bits.

Grimes was bizarrely made captain after I think 2 preseason games with the role. The first was when he went back to Exeter, so he was likely more motivated for that one. You look to your captain for inspiration and motivation. Grimes isn't having enough influence on games to play that role.

My name is Matt
Poll: Best option in regards to the EPL & EFL seasons?

Team Captain on 14:43 - Oct 7 with 1711 viewsjack247

Team Captain on 13:53 - Oct 7 by krunchykarrot

Jack Ive watched him over the years, not last 2 matches (got the lurghi) i admit so cannot comment on current form scored twice i know.
I suggest other than a cut inside here and there he does not justify his inflated wages or opinion of himself.
Ive posted on here before that his situation and attitude could destabilize our side, get rid of in Jan if possible but that might be difficult.

I would rather develop our younger squad.

This always comes down to his wages. I don’t think he merits them either, signing him when we did for the fee and the wages we did was mental and irresponsible, but we’re committed to paying them so may as well make use of him.

When you say over the years, he’s only had a season and a half with us before this one, do you mean following his career, or just watching him play for us?

His attitude on the pitch is first class, however money grabbing and big time he may be off it. He looks more of a galvanising than destabilising influence at the moment.
Team Captain on 14:45 - Oct 7 with 1703 viewsjack247

Team Captain on 14:35 - Oct 7 by NWSwans

I wouldn't take it off Grimes, no telling how damaging that will be to the lads confidence
[Post edited 7 Oct 2019 14:35]

Agreed. I meant if I was selecting a captain with hindsight, I’d give it to VdH, then Ayew. As we are now, Grimes keeps it 100%
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024