Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Advocates of Welsh independence 15:01 - Oct 14 with 3407 viewsLohengrin

You will all have seen this, I take it?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49974289

Out of interest what does that tell you about the EU?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Advocates of Welsh independence on 15:08 - Oct 14 with 2052 viewsUxbridge

I'm sure it tells us all that the EU doesn't get involved in national political affairs, despite a lot of the scaremongering mentioned around Brexit

Even though, in this case, it really should. What a disgraceful course of events. Plus it's entirely counterproductive, worst thing you can ever do to stifle a cause is to make martyrs.

Should any part of the UK want its own referendum, as we saw with Scotland a few years ago, I would hope Westminster would be grown up about it. I suspect we'll find out pretty quickly, at least in the case of Scotland and potentially NI if they get cut adrift. If Westminster isn't, I'm not sure anyone would be hoping for the EU to force the issue, would they?

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Advocates of Welsh independence on 15:15 - Oct 14 with 2033 viewsLohengrin

Advocates of Welsh independence on 15:08 - Oct 14 by Uxbridge

I'm sure it tells us all that the EU doesn't get involved in national political affairs, despite a lot of the scaremongering mentioned around Brexit

Even though, in this case, it really should. What a disgraceful course of events. Plus it's entirely counterproductive, worst thing you can ever do to stifle a cause is to make martyrs.

Should any part of the UK want its own referendum, as we saw with Scotland a few years ago, I would hope Westminster would be grown up about it. I suspect we'll find out pretty quickly, at least in the case of Scotland and potentially NI if they get cut adrift. If Westminster isn't, I'm not sure anyone would be hoping for the EU to force the issue, would they?

An unfathomable blind faith in Brussels appears to be de rigeuer in SNP/Plaid circles. If ever there was a case of unrequited love...

Advocates of Welsh independence on 15:19 - Oct 14 with 2023 viewsbluey_the_blue

Advocates of Welsh independence on 15:15 - Oct 14 by Lohengrin

An unfathomable blind faith in Brussels appears to be de rigeuer in SNP/Plaid circles. If ever there was a case of unrequited love...

Take it you missed the Plaid representative fawning at the SNP conference?

Nearly vomited, so over to Queen's Speech debate...
Advocates of Welsh independence on 15:20 - Oct 14 with 2021 viewsLohengrin

Advocates of Welsh independence on 15:19 - Oct 14 by bluey_the_blue

Take it you missed the Plaid representative fawning at the SNP conference?

Nearly vomited, so over to Queen's Speech debate...

I did miss it, Bluey, though I can well imagine and inwardly cringe at the prospect.

Advocates of Welsh independence on 15:27 - Oct 14 with 2013 viewsUxbridge

Advocates of Welsh independence on 15:15 - Oct 14 by Lohengrin

The EU is the only wagon upon which any Celtic nation seeking independence will hitch itself to. Given it's the 21st century and isolationist policies are a bit old hat, or just downright idiotic, these days, I'd say that part at least is entirely logical.

Blind faith isn't of course and Plaid are, well, in the main a bit rubbish. But the above still stands, particularly when we are where we are. It's just a question of which union Wales fancy being part of. I dare say the EU would have an interest in at least part of legacy GB remaining part.

Advocates of Welsh independence on 15:32 - Oct 14 with 2002 viewsLohengrin

Advocates of Welsh independence on 15:27 - Oct 14 by Uxbridge

The EU is the only wagon upon which any Celtic nation seeking independence will hitch itself to. Given it's the 21st century and isolationist policies are a bit old hat, or just downright idiotic, these days, I'd say that part at least is entirely logical.

Blind faith isn't of course and Plaid are, well, in the main a bit rubbish. But the above still stands, particularly when we are where we are. It's just a question of which union Wales fancy being part of. I dare say the EU would have an interest in at least part of legacy GB remaining part.

I suppose the point I’m making, and I’ll carry on with your metaphor, is that for breakaway sections of existing nation states the “EU wagon” doesn’t have a tow-bar to hitch on to.

Advocates of Welsh independence on 15:38 - Oct 14 with 1998 viewsUxbridge

Advocates of Welsh independence on 15:32 - Oct 14 by Lohengrin

I suppose the point I’m making, and I’ll carry on with your metaphor, is that for breakaway sections of existing nation states the “EU wagon” doesn’t have a tow-bar to hitch on to.

If that's your original point, I think it's a bit crowbarred. Catalonia isn't an independent country and didn't have a legally binding referendum. Even Spain seems to have mellowed on the prospect for example of Scotland joining the EU if recent media reports are to be believed, and as I understand it EU rules would allow Scotland to join so long as the rump UK was an existing member. The wrinkle would be if the UK left beforehand.

Advocates of Welsh independence on 15:41 - Oct 14 with 1987 viewsLohengrin

Advocates of Welsh independence on 15:38 - Oct 14 by Uxbridge

If that's your original point, I think it's a bit crowbarred. Catalonia isn't an independent country and didn't have a legally binding referendum. Even Spain seems to have mellowed on the prospect for example of Scotland joining the EU if recent media reports are to be believed, and as I understand it EU rules would allow Scotland to join so long as the rump UK was an existing member. The wrinkle would be if the UK left beforehand.

Which it surely will? Even if in name only.

Login to get fewer ads

Advocates of Welsh independence on 15:43 - Oct 14 with 1983 viewsUxbridge

Advocates of Welsh independence on 15:41 - Oct 14 by Lohengrin

Which it surely will? Even if in name only.

Sorry, which part?

Advocates of Welsh independence on 15:44 - Oct 14 with 1980 viewsbluey_the_blue

Advocates of Welsh independence on 15:38 - Oct 14 by Uxbridge

Existing EU nations jumped through hoops to be admitted.

No way in hell they'll be happy with Scotland joining without going through those same hoops. Why should the sweaties get preferential treatment?
Advocates of Welsh independence on 15:46 - Oct 14 with 1975 viewsLohengrin

Advocates of Welsh independence on 15:43 - Oct 14 by Uxbridge

Sorry, which part?

The part about the UK leaving before the staging of a second “once in a lifetime Scottish” referendum.

Advocates of Welsh independence on 15:51 - Oct 14 with 1960 viewsUxbridge

Advocates of Welsh independence on 15:46 - Oct 14 by Lohengrin

The part about the UK leaving before the staging of a second “once in a lifetime Scottish” referendum.

Possibly. Probably. Depends how long leaving takes. Any deal agreed now will still take some considerable time to implement the legislation. Long road ahead whatever path is taken.

It's been a political lifetime since Indyref1 and guarantee of continued EU membership was a big part of that whole debate. It's amazing how much has changed in 5 years. I've not known anything like it in my lifetime.

Advocates of Welsh independence on 15:53 - Oct 14 with 1955 viewsLohengrin

Advocates of Welsh independence on 15:51 - Oct 14 by Uxbridge

Possibly. Probably. Depends how long leaving takes. Any deal agreed now will still take some considerable time to implement the legislation. Long road ahead whatever path is taken.

It's been a political lifetime since Indyref1 and guarantee of continued EU membership was a big part of that whole debate. It's amazing how much has changed in 5 years. I've not known anything like it in my lifetime.

Nobody under pensionable age has seen it either, mate. If that’s any consolation to you?

Advocates of Welsh independence on 15:54 - Oct 14 with 1950 viewsUxbridge

Advocates of Welsh independence on 15:53 - Oct 14 by Lohengrin

Nobody under pensionable age has seen it either, mate. If that’s any consolation to you?

It's not dull, I give you that

Advocates of Welsh independence on 16:03 - Oct 14 with 1935 viewsLohengrin

Advocates of Welsh independence on 15:54 - Oct 14 by Uxbridge

It's not dull, I give you that

I was listening to a Podcast recently about Orwell’s legacy and a point was made, though I can’t for the life of me remember who made it, that folk get easily inured to prolonged political clamour and it ceases to make an impact.

Or I’ll put it like this: if ‘crisis’ is a permanent state, there’s no such thing as a crisis and we become like so many proverbial frogs in a slowly simmering pot.

Advocates of Welsh independence on 16:10 - Oct 14 with 1923 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Advocates of Welsh independence on 16:03 - Oct 14 by Lohengrin

I was listening to a Podcast recently about Orwell’s legacy and a point was made, though I can’t for the life of me remember who made it, that folk get easily inured to prolonged political clamour and it ceases to make an impact.

Or I’ll put it like this: if ‘crisis’ is a permanent state, there’s no such thing as a crisis and we become like so many proverbial frogs in a slowly simmering pot.

Which is the whole point of continual crisises, as expounded by Maurice Strong of Club of Rome fame.
Take a look at a few of his.
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNS7T2QeyfKwR3UPCvXSIi7OUKU4zg:157106575
Advocates of Welsh independence on 16:13 - Oct 14 with 1921 viewsItchySphincter

What would Scotland do for currency if they gained independence? I'd really like someone to answer that. It would be the same for Wales.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2019 17:41]

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Advocates of Welsh independence on 16:21 - Oct 14 with 1901 viewssherpajacob

Advocates of Welsh independence on 16:13 - Oct 14 by ItchySphincter

What would Scotland do for currency if they gained independence? I'd really like someone to answer that. It would be the same for Wales.

have you ever tried to spend a Scottish £5 note in Wales or Southern England

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Advocates of Welsh independence on 16:22 - Oct 14 with 1903 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Surely it has to be the Euro if they got in to the EU?
In the mean time they would have to stick with Pounds.
Unlike the Welsh they do have their own Notes, not sure about coins though.
Advocates of Welsh independence on 17:41 - Oct 14 with 1845 viewsItchySphincter

Advocates of Welsh independence on 16:21 - Oct 14 by sherpajacob

have you ever tried to spend a Scottish £5 note in Wales or Southern England

Huh? They can't take the f*cking pound with them.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Advocates of Welsh independence on 19:26 - Oct 14 with 1785 viewsblaenaugwentjack

Advocates of Welsh independence on 17:41 - Oct 14 by ItchySphincter

Huh? They can't take the f*cking pound with them.

like Mexico has the U S dollar.
Advocates of Welsh independence on 19:59 - Oct 14 with 1756 viewsKilkennyjack

The Indy bus is coming, get on it .....

Look at the Irish role in Brexit compared to Wales and Scotland. Westminster is failing Wales.

Beware of the Risen People

Advocates of Welsh independence on 20:05 - Oct 14 with 1750 viewsKilkennyjack

Easy mate. ...

‘...... Salmond is quite right that there is nothing that a London government should or can do to stop an independent Scotland from using the pound sterling as its currency: the Scots do not have to ask permission to use the pound....’

I hope that reassures your concerns...

www.cityam.com/1410805255/scotland-could-keep-pound-cost-its-monetary-independence/amp

Beware of the Risen People

Advocates of Welsh independence on 20:13 - Oct 14 with 1740 viewsHighjack

Advocates of Welsh independence on 20:05 - Oct 14 by Kilkennyjack

Easy mate. ...

‘...... Salmond is quite right that there is nothing that a London government should or can do to stop an independent Scotland from using the pound sterling as its currency: the Scots do not have to ask permission to use the pound....’

I hope that reassures your concerns...

www.cityam.com/1410805255/scotland-could-keep-pound-cost-its-monetary-independence/amp

They could use whatever currency they want, including the pound but they would have no control over the monetary policy and would be locked into whatever rates are set in London. Not a good look for independence. It’s always best to have your own currency. It’s why a lot of the Southern European nations are struggling since they’ve been locked in the euro.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Advocates of Welsh independence on 20:17 - Oct 14 with 1737 viewsNeath_Jack

Advocates of Welsh independence on 19:59 - Oct 14 by Kilkennyjack

The Indy bus is coming, get on it .....

Look at the Irish role in Brexit compared to Wales and Scotland. Westminster is failing Wales.

Those indy Welsh football fans need to get the f*ck, in my opinion.

I'd like to see us independent one day, would i vote for it now, not so sure.

But those lot should keep it out of the stadiums.

They're even bigger whoppers on twitter than the new breed of Swans fans on there.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024