Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I walked around town for the first time in years today... 15:07 - Oct 15 with 8188 viewsGammon

And the city is an eyesore. Let’s face it - Swansea city centre is a sh*thole.

I spend a lot of time in Bristol and Cardiff with work and they’re simply on a different planet compared to the drab, depressing city which Swansea is now.

I couldn’t get over how many shops were closed in town, and how quiet it was. And the few people who were ‘shopping’ were either drunk, high on some kind of banned substance or unemployed.

No suits or city types anywhere - just homeless, people drinking and smoking drugs.

Boarded up shops everywhere. A million Greggs, Costas and that’s about it.

The council need sacking - all of them.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2019 15:09]
I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 14:22 - Oct 18 with 1531 viewsJackSomething

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 14:01 - Oct 18 by Gammon

Retail is definitely in terrible shape.

I can order everything I need online, for next day delivery, for much cheaper and I don’t have the stress of having to park or deal with other people.

Plus you get free delivery on most stuff now as well so I save a fortune in petrol money.

And there are no designer shops in town. Nothing special there at all. I love my designer suits for work so I’m not getting them from town. Again I have to go to Cardiff.

Eating out in Swansea is terrible as well unless you venture to SA1, which isn’t the city centre.

Our City Centre is dying a painfully slow death.

Online shopping is a challenge every city centre is facing. Cardiff won't survive on a few people buying a designer suit or two in the long run.

At least plans are in place to change the focus of Swansea City Centre. An influx of new build student accommodation to bring more people into the centre to support food and drink venues. A new musical venue being built to bring more people in. There's no guarantee this will work, but it's better than pinning all hopes on retail. Of course there are no designer shops in town, there's not the trade to attract them.

Eating out is fine. Plenty of pubs and chain venues in the city centre if that's what you want. Places like La Braseria, Hansons at Chelsea Cafe, Juniper Place, Old Havana, if you want something different. Lots more independent places within driving distance of city centre, which isn't all that different to lots of other places as rents are cheaper further out.

Swansea city centre isn't great, but efforts are being made to improve it and it's nowhere near as bad as you make out in your first post.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 14:28 - Oct 18 with 1522 viewsVincent_Vega

Swansea is the same as any other city centre (baring the colossal regeneration phuck ups by the WAG and Council.) The bigger question is what are we going to do with our centres in future? Online shopping has decimated the high street. in the UK. Do many still go for a day out in the city centre?

Cardiff has St. Davids but its the same generic national chain stores, no character at all, nothing that stands out. To be honest if you're willing to go that far you're be better off going over to cribbs causeway if you want those types of stores.

Boycott Shampoo......Demand Real Poo!!!

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 14:29 - Oct 18 with 1521 viewsLeonWasGod

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 08:29 - Oct 16 by Gowerjack

Two things..

Swansea City centre is an eyesore due to a lack of investment by local & central govt, a series of ill thought out and poorly realised planning decisions and the rise of out of town shopping centres.

And

Ther is no such place as "the Gower" as I believe I may have mentioned on several occasions on this forum..

It's next to The Mumbles mun!

Anyway, it should probably be Gŵyr.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2019 14:36]
I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 17:05 - Oct 18 with 1455 viewsTNT

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 14:29 - Oct 18 by LeonWasGod

It's next to The Mumbles mun!

Anyway, it should probably be Gŵyr.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2019 14:36]

Or, 'Y Gwyr'.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 17:06 - Oct 18 with 1453 viewsGammon

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 14:28 - Oct 18 by Vincent_Vega

Swansea is the same as any other city centre (baring the colossal regeneration phuck ups by the WAG and Council.) The bigger question is what are we going to do with our centres in future? Online shopping has decimated the high street. in the UK. Do many still go for a day out in the city centre?

Cardiff has St. Davids but its the same generic national chain stores, no character at all, nothing that stands out. To be honest if you're willing to go that far you're be better off going over to cribbs causeway if you want those types of stores.

What and the Quadrant is brimming with character I take it?

Too many proud Swans in here. It doesn’t make you a bad supporter for admitting your town is sh*t.

As soon as you get off the train in Swansea it’s an eyesore. Our coasts and beaches are unrivalled. But the ‘city’ is a dump and a few student flats aren’t going to change that.
I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 21:00 - Oct 18 with 1404 viewsCatullus

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 21:18 - Oct 15 by Swanjaxs

So you claim to live in the Gower and you walked around town today for the first time in years?...

I smell bullshìt

I lived in Mumbles and very rarely saw the town centre, usually because if I was in town I was blind drunk mind. Ah the Sandfields pubs, then shades and other places I don't remember.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 21:06 - Oct 18 with 1395 viewsDr_Winston

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 14:06 - Oct 17 by Lohengrin

Bad taste transcends the contents of a wallet, Eb. It puts a spotlight on the void where discernment ought to be.

Any esthete inwardly shudders at the mention of Primark with its acres of hangered crimplene.

I judge people more on the importance they place on something as worthless as fashion than I do on where they shop.

Anyhoo, Swansea's got its problems (as someone who works on High Street, I am under no illusions on those) but there's plenty of far, far worse places out there. The council needs to realise that years of making it increasingly difficult to take a car into town whilst encouraging out of town retail developments along with eCommerce have killed the city centre. To their credit there's a bit of that in their plans for the Kingsway.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 21:06 - Oct 18 with 1393 viewsLeonWasGod

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 17:06 - Oct 18 by Gammon

Too many proud Swans in here. It doesn’t make you a bad supporter for admitting your town is sh*t.

As soon as you get off the train in Swansea it’s an eyesore. Our coasts and beaches are unrivalled. But the ‘city’ is a dump and a few student flats aren’t going to change that.

It’s run down. As are a lot of places; combination of de-retailing of town centres by over-enthusiastic Councils, shifts in purchasing habits and a decade of disinvestment is sending many places to the wall. We’re barely treading water with the few regen schemes we have (ironically most involving EU funding, but no need to go there again).

I’d hate to think what another 10 years of the Tories would leave the UK looking like.
Login to get fewer ads

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 21:50 - Oct 18 with 1369 viewsJackSomething

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 17:06 - Oct 18 by Gammon

Actually as soon as you get off the train in Swansea, you see a fairly decent train station and the first sight that greets you as you exit is the Grand Hotel, which is a lovely building. Then you have Alexandra House which has had a facelift recently. Further round is a building site that will eventually become a smart new accommodation block.

The first bit of High Street you'd walk down isn't great, but then you get the new Coastal development which has done a lot for the area. There are far worse entry points to cities all around the country.

When you take emotion and hyperbole out of it, the city centre has improved in recent years and will hopefully keep doing so.

A 'few student flats' will hopefully change things by bringing more people to the city centre who will then hopefully spend more money there, attracting more businesses to the area. It isn't rocket science.

Instead of banging on about how bad it is and ignoring people's sensible rebuttals, how about you tell us your grand plan for rescuing the city centre? Without all the money that gets thrown at Cardiff of course.

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 22:30 - Oct 18 with 1340 viewslonglostjack

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 21:50 - Oct 18 by JackSomething

Actually as soon as you get off the train in Swansea, you see a fairly decent train station and the first sight that greets you as you exit is the Grand Hotel, which is a lovely building. Then you have Alexandra House which has had a facelift recently. Further round is a building site that will eventually become a smart new accommodation block.

The first bit of High Street you'd walk down isn't great, but then you get the new Coastal development which has done a lot for the area. There are far worse entry points to cities all around the country.

When you take emotion and hyperbole out of it, the city centre has improved in recent years and will hopefully keep doing so.

A 'few student flats' will hopefully change things by bringing more people to the city centre who will then hopefully spend more money there, attracting more businesses to the area. It isn't rocket science.

Instead of banging on about how bad it is and ignoring people's sensible rebuttals, how about you tell us your grand plan for rescuing the city centre? Without all the money that gets thrown at Cardiff of course.

Good post. The last 3 years has seen a big improvement to the High St. The bar in the Grand has lost a bit of it’s character to make way for the extra TV screens though.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2019 22:31]

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 00:42 - Oct 19 with 1292 viewsTNT

You step off the train, and yes the fairly short route to The Marina and Swansea Bay needs Welsh Government funding. Once there, the natural beauty unfolds before your very eyes.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 14:29 - Oct 19 with 1186 viewsGammon

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 21:50 - Oct 18 by JackSomething

Talk about clutching at straws.

I get off the train and get to my car as quickly as possible before one of the many High Street heroin addicts try to mug me.
I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 16:23 - Oct 19 with 1152 viewsJackSomething

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 14:29 - Oct 19 by Gammon

I get off the train and get to my car as quickly as possible before one of the many High Street heroin addicts try to mug me.

What a steaming pile of sh*t. Shame you just want to stir and not actually discuss things. Didn't quite get the catches you were hoping for eh?

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 17:12 - Oct 19 with 1116 viewsSwanjaxs

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 14:29 - Oct 19 by Gammon

Fack off you scum cùnt 👍

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 17:58 - Oct 19 with 1086 viewslonglostjack

What are you? A Scum keyboard fantasist or a Scum wimp?

Edit: Apologies Scummers. He’s obviously just a teenage Troll.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2019 18:02]

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 18:40 - Oct 19 with 1061 viewsexhmrc1

I worked over 35 years on High Street. Never had the slightest problem with these people. One thing they are not is violent. You are talking absolute bullshit. Take it from somebody who was there daily.
I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 20:00 - Oct 19 with 1027 viewssainthelens

Fckn pussy, get a grip.
I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 19:22 - Oct 21 with 914 viewscontroversial_jack

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 18:40 - Oct 19 by exhmrc1

I worked over 35 years on High Street. Never had the slightest problem with these people. One thing they are not is violent. You are talking absolute bullshit. Take it from somebody who was there daily.

Some are violent if they want money.
I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 19:35 - Oct 21 with 894 viewsexiledclaseboy

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 19:22 - Oct 21 by controversial_jack

You’ve met my wife then.

Poll: Tory leader

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 19:36 - Oct 21 with 892 viewsexhmrc1

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 19:22 - Oct 21 by controversial_jack

I worked over the road and past them on an almost daily basis. Not once did I encounter aggression from them. That is fact and based on experience not on someone else's fictional account.
I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 20:10 - Oct 21 with 869 viewsLandore_Jack

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 08:29 - Oct 16 by Gowerjack

Two things..

Swansea City centre is an eyesore due to a lack of investment by local & central govt, a series of ill thought out and poorly realised planning decisions and the rise of out of town shopping centres.

And

Ther is no such place as "the Gower" as I believe I may have mentioned on several occasions on this forum..

This, and they continue to make mistakes. The bus station should be near the train station. They have the bright idea of building social housing and student flats in the town centre instead of creating office space. The road system needs to be reviewed because it cannot cope with demand. Too many traffic lights. Parking prices are a disgrace. I can go to McArthur Glenn or Trostre and park for free. Business rates could be cut.

#backtojack

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 20:18 - Oct 21 with 861 viewsLandore_Jack

Swansea Council has a lot to answer for. Just look at the number of failed projects. Castle Square, St Davids Shopping Centre, Castle Quays which never materialised. Why didn't they expand the Quadrant on to the site of St Davids before it was built? The Quadrant itself should have been on two floors minimum. Swansea Council is the graveyard of ambition.

#backtojack

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 22:24 - Oct 21 with 821 viewscontroversial_jack

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 19:35 - Oct 21 by exiledclaseboy

You’ve met my wife then.

I meant mine
I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 23:20 - Oct 22 with 700 viewsGammon

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 19:36 - Oct 21 by exhmrc1

I worked over the road and past them on an almost daily basis. Not once did I encounter aggression from them. That is fact and based on experience not on someone else's fictional account.

Just because you’ve had no issues doesn’t mean I haven’t.

I’ve seen all sorts happening on high st in broad daylight.

I was walking to the station from Argos a few years back now and a junkie asked me for a cigarette. I told him I don’t smoke, he called me a liar and said he’d knock me out. I ran away.

Too many proud people in here pretending High St and city centre are affluent, welcome places. They’re not. I can list several cities that are nicer than Swansea and it isn’t even hard.

Again I live in Gower and love it. I love mumbles I love the beaches, I love long summer evenings at my shack on Langland.

But forget town it’s a dump and there’s a major heroin and spice problem because of the scousers bringing it in and getting dealers in Dyfatty to sell it on high st and surrounding areas.

These are facts.
I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 10:03 - Oct 23 with 647 viewsJackSomething

I walked around town for the first time in years today... on 23:20 - Oct 22 by Gammon

Just because you’ve had no issues doesn’t mean I haven’t.

I’ve seen all sorts happening on high st in broad daylight.

I was walking to the station from Argos a few years back now and a junkie asked me for a cigarette. I told him I don’t smoke, he called me a liar and said he’d knock me out. I ran away.

Too many proud people in here pretending High St and city centre are affluent, welcome places. They’re not. I can list several cities that are nicer than Swansea and it isn’t even hard.

Again I live in Gower and love it. I love mumbles I love the beaches, I love long summer evenings at my shack on Langland.

But forget town it’s a dump and there’s a major heroin and spice problem because of the scousers bringing it in and getting dealers in Dyfatty to sell it on high st and surrounding areas.

These are facts.

Most of that is fine and stating the obvious. The major error is that 'too many proud people in here pretending High Street and city centre are affluent, welcome places'. I haven't seen anyone pretend anything of the sort. The vast majority agree there are significant problems and the city centre has suffered from years of neglect and mis-management.

You were picked up on the numerous exaggerations and inaccuracies in your opening post, which you have now rowed back on, so well done on admitting you were wrong.

Of course you could name several cities that are nicer than Swansea. What would be harder is naming several nicer cities that have had comparable or less investment than Swansea over a period of time.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2019 10:07]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024